AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-07-26, 21:34   Link #15181
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In this reality (A.K.A. Colorado, U.S.A.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
What does either issue has to do with Buddhism?
Oh sorry I meant Sri Lanka not Taiwan.
__________________
/Users/TRendfrey/Pictures/pictures/anime/signature.jpg
RandySyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 22:00   Link #15182
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I wonder if this will actually have a long reaching effect in Europe as a whole (rather than just Norway). There have been a bunch of alarmist press in the last decade or so about the increased muslim population's chances of simply outbreeding the native populations and effectively taking over just by weight of numbers at the polls, and then just by outnumbering the natives.

The man might have had a point...but he lost it when he started blowing up building and shooting people.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 22:08   Link #15183
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Not this rail, I think it is like an overall figure or something.

Someone joked that since they are burying the locomotive in the soil, maybe they can harvest 2 next year.
What I heard from a relative with business connections in China, is that they are planning to grow a locomotive tree so they could continually harvest it in the future.

Quote:
The compensation is already starting to be handed out. Maybe only to the 39 people they listed, comparing the less than 200 that rumor has. I believe by tomorrow night, you won't even see the news about this disaster anymore. What a government?!
If I didn't read anything wrong from your link in the next post, the agreement was that if they sign, they would be paid 500,000 yuan (around 77k USD). But the statement in the third paragraph said that according to the 2007/9 "Train Incidents Emergency and Investigation Guidelines" (铁路交通事故应急救援和调查处理条例), 172,000 yuan (26.7k USD) will be paid to the victims, 200,000 yuan (31k USD) will be additionally paid by the insurance (?), totalling up to 372,000 yuan (57.7k USD), with other payouts the overall compensation will not exceed 450,000yuan (69.8k USD). I supposed that it is the signing of the "Terms and Conditions" that bagged the victims up to 500,000 yuan?

If so, that is certainly an interesting way to muzzle the folks from spreading their "personal experiences" and "ruining the official statements". Bastards.

Nonetheless, I wonder if this commentor is serious or being sarcastic :

Quote:
死后还被奖励。稀罕
TL : Rewarded/Compensated after death. Accepted.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 22:42   Link #15184
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Boehner delays vote on his debt-ceiling measure
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-26-23-09-45
Is that guy still even pretending to try...
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-26, 23:04   Link #15185
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 30
Rolling back a few days, an Australian journalists take on Murdoch, and some things to come.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 01:26   Link #15186
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
But, it is important to keep in mind that almost always, religion doesn't give command to kill people, it is who people kill people. Kinda like guns.
It's more like God said it's ok to kill ppl of other religions. Actually it's more like a voice in their head that present themself as God that tell them to kill.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 01:48   Link #15187
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Nonetheless, I wonder if this commentor is serious or being sarcastic :

死后还被奖励。稀罕
TL : Rewarded/Compensated after death. Accepted.

稀罕 does not mean accepted. It means "rare, uncommon (and hence strange)". Both the choice of word and the meaning points to "being sarcastic".

They have since dug the train out. What's the point of burying them for 3 days and then dug them out? I guess we can use our imaginations. The whole thing just scream absurdity.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 01:49   Link #15188
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
But, it is important to keep in mind that almost always, religion doesn't give command to kill people, it is who people kill people. Kinda like guns.
Actually, it does. Read the Bible, it explicitly commands that x people should be put to death for y reason, multiple times, in many places.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 02:27   Link #15189
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Boehner delays vote on his debt-ceiling measure
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-26-23-09-45
Is that guy still even pretending to try...
I wonder about that, considering he'll be one of the guy who pays heavily if the US defaults.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 03:54   Link #15190
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder if this will actually have a long reaching effect in Europe as a whole (rather than just Norway). There have been a bunch of alarmist press in the last decade or so about the increased muslim population's chances of simply outbreeding the native populations and effectively taking over just by weight of numbers at the polls, and then just by outnumbering the natives.

The man might have had a point...but he lost it when he started blowing up building and shooting people.
"Alarmist" indeed. Actual statistics shows that second and third generations from immigrant families have close to the same average amount of child / couple than natives.
The reason why immigration is favoured is because of the ageing western population anyway.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 05:37   Link #15191
Kameruka
Hen-Tie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hen-Tie pen
Murderer of 92 people were only sentenced to prison for 30 years while they can hanged a drug trafficker to death? What a bullsh*t!

Sorry for being overly emotional but even a blind man can see how ridiculous the madman's punishment is. I really felt sorry for the victims because most of them are youths below age 20, which mean they even younger than I am.

EDIT: Maybe football fans need to hate Samir Nasri and Mesut Ozil if they used the same logic. Racism is bullsh*t and FIFA already told us that many many times.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 05:50   Link #15192
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
Nordic countries are different to begin with, you can't judge them with your eyes.

The mayor of Oslo said that: "We will punish the culprit. The punishment will be more generosity, more tolerance and more democracy." Totally different from what the politician of my country would say.

Quote:
they can hanged a drug trafficker to death?
Not sure of what you said, but there's no more death punishment in EU.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 05:59   Link #15193
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
It's more like God said it's ok to kill ppl of other religions. Actually it's more like a voice in their head that present themself as God that tell them to kill.
The voice is either in their head or comming from the local priest/messie/prophet.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 06:23   Link #15194
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I wonder if this will actually have a long reaching effect in Europe as a whole (rather than just Norway). There have been a bunch of alarmist press in the last decade or so about the increased muslim population's chances of simply outbreeding the native populations and effectively taking over just by weight of numbers at the polls, and then just by outnumbering the natives.
Muslims in Europe have very diverse backgrounds, they are not one single ethnic group. There are people (or their decendants) who migrated from former colonies when those gained independence, who came as migrant workers or who were refugees. We're talking about dozens of countries of origin with vastly different cultures. The one thing they have in common is their religion. Only the far right claims that muslims will become a unified force in the future.

Populist politicians (both left and right) in Europe like to talk about Islam and muslims because it prevents them of being accused of discrimination or racism. Those are code words that can be safely used to point to people of ethnicity X and say they are over represented in crime figures, school drop out rates, unemployment etc. It's also convinient to use islam as an excuse for failed integration rather then discuss the more complex reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
"Alarmist" indeed. Actual statistics shows that second and third generations from immigrant families have close to the same average amount of child / couple than natives.
The reason why immigration is favoured is because of the ageing western population anyway.
Indeed fertility rates of immigrants converges with those of the native population over time. However this is the reason why immigration policy is less and less favoured.

In most European countries the fertility rate lies well below the replacement rate, therefore a continous inflow of immigrants will be needed to prevent a decline in population (as they have the same amount of children as the natives over time). Also everyone wants the same kind of immigrants: young, well educated professionals. Those are in short supply and it causes brain drain issues in developing countries.

As a result there has been renewed interest in fertility policies to increase birthrates. There is a lot of research on that topic in Europe at the moment.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:23   Link #15195
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySyler View Post
I do believe that there is no religion innocent of blood, lest maybe the Native American religions and spirituals. And that could merely be because of lack of records.
I'm pretty sure tribal warfare between Native American tribes had lots of religious context behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I'd say Buddhism is pretty bloodless.
Japanese Buddhist Warrior Monks.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:35   Link #15196
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
In most European countries the fertility rate lies well below the replacement rate, therefore a continous inflow of immigrants will be needed to prevent a decline in population (as they have the same amount of children as the natives over time). Also everyone wants the same kind of immigrants: young, well educated professionals. Those are in short supply and it causes brain drain issues in developing countries.

As a result there has been renewed interest in fertility policies to increase birthrates. There is a lot of research on that topic in Europe at the moment.
Bullshit. Infertility is not the problem here. The problem here is the way of life and the child worship (by George Carlin) that we have here in the west. Too many rules to raise a kid and so ppl just tend not to have that many kids because it's just too exhausting to raise them. In the 3rd world countries is the natural selection rule. PPL have alot of kids and let them nature do it's job of weeding out the weak ones.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:58   Link #15197
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Bullshit. Infertility is not the problem here. The problem here is the way of life and the child worship (by George Carlin) that we have here in the west. Too many rules to raise a kid and so ppl just tend not to have that many kids because it's just too exhausting to raise them. In the 3rd world countries is the natural selection rule. PPL have alot of kids and let them nature do it's job of weeding out the weak ones.
*Sigh* Fertility rates have nothing to do with infertility in a medical sense. The fertility rate is, basically, the number of children that the average woman will have in her lifetime, it says nothing about the how or why. It's a measure for long term population growth.

Fertility policy concerns things like child care subsidies, priority housing for families, maternity leave etc.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 09:23   Link #15198
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
*Sigh* Fertility rates have nothing to do with infertility in a medical sense. The fertility rate is, basically, the number of children that the average woman will have in her lifetime, it says nothing about the how or why. It's a measure for long term population growth.

Fertility policy concerns things like child care subsidies, priority housing for families, maternity leave etc.
Oops. I've read wrong. Too many "In" words and I just added it to fertility due to fast reading .
Anyway subsidies, priority housing for families, maternity leave etc doesn't help that much. Let's pick an example in Africa in a poor country. Couples have a lot of kids. What are their main concerns? Feed the kids. Do they worry about school, what do they wear, what disease will they have, etc? The countries with higher living standard couples get all these worries and they won't be able to handle them.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 09:59   Link #15199
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14305484

China fruit seller death sparks riot in Guizhou

You can see below for a few pictures about the fruit seller and his killer.

http://www.mitbbs.com/article_t/ChinaNews/32398765.html
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 10:20   Link #15200
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
China protests against U.S. spy flights near its coast: report
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...76Q3YK20110727
They might try to make another ''air collision'' as they did before , no ?
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.