AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-10, 14:40   Link #15641
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Then maybe the GOP should stop acting like bullies and maybe the Dems should learn to stand up for something more often.



I can understand the sentiment, but let's not kid ourselves - the GOP is equally at fault for the unhappiness of Americans too.
Stop defending the Democrats then. They're both frauds, and you're clearly intelligent enough to understand that. I'm sick of smart people either being 'democrat' or 'republican'. They're both freaking phonies and 90% of their candidates are working on screwing over our country. Can we stop the petty dem vs. repubs. war and band together against both of them? Please? As I see it, that's the only way this country can begin improving itself once more. (Of course, I understand that's probably not likely to happen. But my anger is prompting this viewpoint more than anything.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 14:58   Link #15642
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 26
Honestly I think the best course of action is to remove all the politicians at this point, and replace them with people who actually care about the people. Maybe people who know what it's like to live off of the bare minimum of money.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 15:40   Link #15643
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
All this democracy just isn't working. We need strong rule by a dictatorship, but more importantly by a people's dictatorship. It's the only way to straighten out this messed up country. And because it's a people's dictatorship it will serve the interests of the people, not some party elite.

Right?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 15:52   Link #15644
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
All this democracy just isn't working. We need strong rule by a dictatorship, but more importantly by a people's dictatorship. It's the only way to straighten out this messed up country. And because it's a people's dictatorship it will serve the interests of the people, not some party elite.

Right?
heh! (snort giggle) .... "animal farm for the win"

The problem is not really the "democracy" (or the representative style with 3 operational arms designed to obstruct each other from getting out of hand)... its this:
1) Both the Senate and House have hamstrung themselves with "local rules" that none of us voted on... ones that favor special interests.
2) The judiciary, congress, and executive branches have been corrupted by "special interests appointments" in which the foxes guard the chicken house.
3) The media has been co-opted by the same predators which construct a narrative that avoids the "gorilla in the room" analysis or provides context or fact-checking of anything asserted by a politician or spokesperson.

With this in place, various parts of the population can be pitted against each other with misinformation and phony "balance" (earth is flat, earth is not flat). Meanwhile, the wealth of the community can be extracted with no benefit to the community.... once the system collapses, exit via private jet to safe havens.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:04   Link #15645
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
All this democracy just isn't working. We need strong rule by a dictatorship, but more importantly by a people's dictatorship. It's the only way to straighten out this messed up country. And because it's a people's dictatorship it will serve the interests of the people, not some party elite.

Right?
I assume this was a rhetorical question?

It doesn't matter who is in charge, because if the people in charge are friendly and fair they will be replaced or rather mobbed out of office by assholes and schemers. People cannot see into the hearts and minds of politicians. Hence, it is impossible to make a good choice. You can always try to take the lesser evil... but on the long run, any form of power will attract corruption and misuse... this seems to be natural in a system that is more or less based on social darwinism.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:18   Link #15646
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
For those of us trying to communicate via sarcasm on the Internets... there's an attempt to promulgate a font that makes it clear the content is sarcasm: Sartalics, a backleaning form of italics.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...es.showArticle
http://sartalics.com/
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:23   Link #15647
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't know. I think it's part of the charm and the terror of the written word that we can't be entirely sure when the writer's being sarcastic when he writes some really outlandish things.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 16:25   Link #15648
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
That being said, you really need to visit other portions of this forum if this is the "Funniest shit" you've ever read .
Hard to do when you are working two jobs, helping your folks keep up their horse ranch, and building a race car for the Texas Mile for next year. Time is something I have little of anymore.90% of my time on the net now, is on my droid phone when I have brief breaks from whatever I am doing. Add to thay, I am going to Arizona for three days this weekend to take my dad's jetskis to leave over there, and registering my Corvette as an Arizona car, and getting my Az ID finally. Cant remember when I last watched an anime episode. I will have to take your word for it on the other sub forums James.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:20   Link #15649
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I think it's pretty clear what this country, no this planet needs in a leader.


Well maybe someone a bit less authoritarian, but reform minded, not corrupt, and charismatic. I can think of plenty of politicians that are one of those, a few that are two of those. I can't think of any that are all three. The second one more often than not tends to be the part they fail on.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:27   Link #15650
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well the only one I can think of that fit those requirements was this fellow:


Teddy Roosevelt


And we don't honestly have any politicians that can effectively handle Congress and their own parties.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:38   Link #15651
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
It's so fascinating seeing what people write on this thread. So much more stimulating than people speculating on what they think will happen in the next episode of a series or fawning over their waifus. Nothing beats how interesting real people are .
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:42   Link #15652
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I think it's pretty clear what this country, no this planet needs in a leader.

Well maybe someone a bit less authoritarian, but reform minded, not corrupt, and charismatic. I can think of plenty of politicians that are one of those, a few that are two of those. I can't think of any that are all three. The second one more often than not tends to be the part they fail on.
Well our souls are tied down by gravity (read : materialism). Almost everything we thought of relates to some physical good or money.

Can't wait for a space colony to be built and someone crashing it into Earth. Maybe once we migrate to space it would be much better altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
It's so fascinating seeing what people write on this thread. So much more stimulating than people speculating on what they think will happen in the next episode of a series or fawning over their waifus. Nothing beats how interesting real people are .
If that is your definition of real people, I have yet to experience much of them in real life. The regular bunch just go "Where are we going clubbing tonight?" or "How much does your bag cost?" or "What are your grades this semester?".

No wonder they said "ignorance is bliss". But I like to think that ignorance is a self-shortchanging mechanism that screws up over time.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:50   Link #15653
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If that is your definition of real people, I have yet to experience much of them in real life. The regular bunch just go "Where are we going clubbing tonight?" or "How much does your bag cost?" or "What are your grades this semester?".

No wonder they said "ignorance is bliss". But I like to think that ignorance is a self-shortchanging mechanism that screws up over time.
That's selling them a bit short. It just takes some coaxing for people divulge all kinds of thoughts or history or trauma. Every individual is made up of many complex interactions despite how they may present themselves. Even with many similar blocks and parts, it's amazing how differently people can turn out.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:02   Link #15654
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
For those of us trying to communicate via sarcasm on the Internets... there's an attempt to promulgate a font that makes it clear the content is sarcasm: Sartalics, a backleaning form of italics.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...es.showArticle
http://sartalics.com/
You catch on. I will admit that a font for sarcasm would be useful, but in a sense it's sometimes fun for people to be unsure. That's one of the great things about satire, you can say many things all at once.

However the fact that I said people's dictatorship should give things away, at least to people who have heard all the marxist spiel before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I think it's pretty clear what this country, no this planet needs in a leader.
SIEG KAISER REINHARD!


More seriously, I think the weakness of the American system may in fact be rooted in what a lot of conservatives talk about IE the federal government being too powerful. I think a lot of problems would be solved in the US if more was devolved down to state governments, and the federal government only handled foreign policy and certain commonalities between states. Instead I would devolve all health, education and welfare down to the state level. Because states are so much smaller, they can be more responsive to the electorate. In effect I would loosen the United states on domestic matters to something like the EU. Of the big parts of the US budget the only part left would be the army, and certain smaller programs like NASA.

I think it would make for a more dynamic union, I think the ideal size for a country to be responsive to it's citizens needs is about 1 million-50 million people. The US is already half way there as individual states already have a lot of authority, it's only a matter of increasing that further.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:06   Link #15655
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
We did have that at one point early in our history...it led to a war in the 1860s and the gradual increase in the power of the Federal government.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:18   Link #15656
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post

More seriously, I think the weakness of the American system may in fact be rooted in what a lot of conservatives talk about IE the federal government being too powerful. I think a lot of problems would be solved in the US if more was devolved down to state governments, and the federal government only handled foreign policy and certain commonalities between states. Instead I would devolve all health, education and welfare down to the state level. Because states are so much smaller, they can be more responsive to the electorate. In effect I would loosen the United states on domestic matters to something like the EU. Of the big parts of the US budget the only part left would be the army, and certain smaller programs like NASA.

I think it would make for a more dynamic union, I think the ideal size for a country to be responsive to it's citizens needs is about 1 million-50 million people. The US is already half way there as individual states already have a lot of authority, it's only a matter of increasing that further.
if you go back to immediately after the American Revolution and before the Constitutions was vote on. That was how the US was govern and it didn't work. It was try again with Confederate States by the South during the Civil War. And that didn't work either, you had southern governor sitting on supplies and refuse to give it to anyone but militia form their own state. The Southern Governor routinely ignore the Confederate Government and that was in midst of a War.

it was coined i Death by Theory because of how strongly some of the governors held onto the states right while the South was losing the war.


It was proven twice a decentralize government doesn't work and these small govenment type still go for a 3rd try.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:22   Link #15657
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Plus, the states are woefully disparate in what they can do... we've effectively been sending much of the domestic costs down to the state level since the year 2000 while much of the funding is siphoned off into a few pockets. Many of the states are going broke trying to provide a minimum of public infrastructure (since the robber barons scoot away when it comes time to support the community they're making so much money from).

Example: the Bush "No Child Left Behind" program was mostly a boondoggle that enriched the private testing companies and private education companies at the expense of sufficient funding for public schools. It cost the states dearly but was unfunded at the federal level, so the poorer states were hit harder. Schools began "teaching to the test" and as a result we have even fewer people who can think critically.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:24   Link #15658
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Hard to imagine that a state that would basically be in the top ten economies of the World if it was a seperate country, seems to be broke most of the time.

This would be California.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:26   Link #15659
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Also one of the main reason the Federal government have grown so much is because the state government has been dragging their feet and dodging their responsibility.

Civil Rights Act
Brown Vs Board of Education
Interracial Marriage

it took the federal government to make these changes. if it was upto the states, some of them would still have a ban on interracial marriage.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 18:30   Link #15660
solidguy
I'm not a tumor
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the dreams of beautiful women
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
No wonder they said "ignorance is bliss". But I like to think that ignorance is a self-shortchanging mechanism that screws up over time.
I'm sorry for randomly quoting but that quote is my go-to motto . And it is so true. Reminds me of a quote from Annie Hall (paraphrasing):

Life is either miserable or horrible. If your life is miserable, be grateful it isn't horrible. And if it's horrible, well, pretend it's only miserable.
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.