AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-11, 23:12   Link #15701
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
London riots: Man held over Asyraf Haziq Barking mugging

Quote:
A man has been arrested over an attack on a Malaysian student who was mugged by apparent Good Samaritans after rioters attacked him in east London.

Police said the suspect, believed to be in his 20s, was being held on suspicion of robbery in connection with the incident in Barking on Monday night.

The attack on Asyraf Haziq, 20, made headlines after it appeared on YouTube.

Mr Haziq had been on his bicycle on his way to a friend's house when he was targeted by rioters.

A short while later, footage showed Mr Haziq sitting on the floor bleeding when he was approached by a group of youths.

They were seen seeming to help him before rifling through his rucksack, stealing his wallet and mobile phone.

The student, from Kuala Lumpur, has been allowed home from hospital after undergoing surgery on his jaw, which was broken in the attack.

Speaking at a press conference after the operation, Mr Haziq said he had no ill-feeling about what had happened and wanted to stay in Britain to complete his studies.
'Britain is great'

He said: "My family are worried about me and my mother would like me to go home. But I am determined to stay.

"Britain is great. Before I came here I was very eager and I haven't got any ill-feeling about what happened.

"I feel very sorry for the people who did this. It was really sad because among them were children."

He also thanked those who had set up a website to raise money for him.

A message on the "Let's Do Something Nice For Asyraf Haziq" site said just less than £4,000 had been donated by Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, footage of the student recalling his ordeal from his hospital bed was posted online by a friend.

In it, he said his attackers "threatened to stab me, they told me they had knives".

He added: "Some of them were quite young, maybe still in primary school. They had their hoods on and demanded my bicycle."

Mr Haziq said two girls and a woman who lived nearby had helped him following the incident.

Prime Minister David Cameron said the attack had left him "disgusted".
It's good to know that he's fine and bears no ill will against those who robbed him and felt sorry for them. What a guy.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 23:41   Link #15702
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Back in the stone age, these Problem kids would have been taking out to hunt and be used as a bait for the sabertooth.

Problem solve.
The mastodon hunt was a great team-building exercise and problem-child solver...
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 01:05   Link #15703
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Another story I found today:

Could the Tea Party actually be Obama's salvation in 2012?
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:20   Link #15704
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
If it's true, there's nothing to worry about from Palin. But this doesn't neccessarily mean Obama will be the only democrat presidential candidate, does it?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:37   Link #15705
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
If it's true, there's nothing to worry about from Palin. But this doesn't neccessarily mean Obama will be the only democrat presidential candidate, does it?
Obama's not going to face a primary challenge, because the Democrats know that they've got everything to gain by appearing sane and united.
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:43   Link #15706
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
If it's true, there's nothing to worry about from Palin. But this doesn't neccessarily mean Obama will be the only democrat presidential candidate, does it?
If you know that analysts predict the future based on the assumption that everything stays as it currently is... you can estimate the precission or value of such a prediction. I remember times when such folks were using crystal balls to read the future for people. Back then, you could pretend they are harmless frauds trying to earn some bucks. Nowadays you feel the presence of these analysts everywhere (rating agencies, investment analysts, risk analysts for insurance, political analysts...) - meddling with the economy and society
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:45   Link #15707
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
Since the link was phrased as a question, I'll answer it.
No.
Obama is as unpopular as the Kochbros T-Party.
It would seem that Americans have had enough of both of them.

The T-Party knuckled under and passed the debt ceiling increase.
Americans didn't support that according to Gallup.

So, I don't see independents, moderates, and centrists supporting Obama because of the T-Party.
If they support Obama it will be because the GOP nominates some corporate idiot like Rick Perry or Mitt Romney.
Assuming the polling outlets are correct in their assessment of the situation.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:48   Link #15708
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
If you know that analysts predict the future based on the assumption that everything stays as it currently is... you can estimate the precission or value of such a prediction. I remember times when such folks were using crystal balls to read the future for people. Back then, you could pretend they are harmless frauds trying to earn some bucks. Nowadays these analysts are everywhere (rating agencies, investment analysts, risk analysts for insurance, political analysts...) - meddling with the economy and society
Haha I c wut u did thar

But yes, I do know that's what analysts do. The assumption of "ceteris paribus" is a prime feature in economic or financial analysis. This makes their job a lot easier since predicting the future is a hard thing to do, and so when it comes to forecast modeling, they leave unpredictable variable up to an error term and don't put much effort in calculating it. It's what makes econometrics the sort of subject you have to react by way of "wtf is this sh**?" In the end, they're just assumptions based on more assumptions
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 02:55   Link #15709
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Haha I c wut u did thar

But yes, I do know that's what analysts do. The assumption of "ceteris paribus" is a prime feature in economic or financial analysis. This makes their job a lot easier since predicting the future is a hard thing to do, and so when it comes to forecast modeling, they leave unpredictable variable up to an error term and don't put much effort in calculating it. It's what makes econometrics the sort of subject you have to react by way of "wtf is this sh**?" In the end, they're just assumptions based on more assumptions
You do realise that the analysts are simply graduates from some "accredited university" who are drawing their analyses from solely theoretical economics and political science right?

None of them actually do cross-discipline studies. There are so many factors driving society at large that you can't just discount human psychology, herd effect, legislation loopholes, and of course, internal politicking when you do an analysis.

Bernanke is an idiot to assume that the economic problem is due to money supply problem. It is legislation problem idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
London riots: Man held over Asyraf Haziq Barking mugging

It's good to know that he's fine and bears no ill will against those who robbed him and felt sorry for them. What a guy.
If the current Middle East are still British Colonies, it would be a good idea to set the mugger there and see him get stoned to death.

It is a stupid decision to forgive him, but I think I can respect someone who is stupid yet has a big heart. *not meant a sarcastic commentary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The mastodon hunt was a great team-building exercise and problem-child solver...
And great for alpha males to show off as well.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:07   Link #15710
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
London Riots: Girl who smashed cop car is Olympics 2012 ambassador
Quote:
A TEENAGE girl accused of wrecking a police car in the riots is a London Olympics ambassador.

Chelsea Ives, 18, was arrested after her parents allegedly saw her on TV during the mayhem in Enfield and called police.


Mum Adrienne, 43, said: "I have no regrets. I love my daughter but she was brought up to know right from wrong."

Chelsea is said to have hurled a rock through a shop window while rioting - then yelled excitedly to a friend: "This is the best day ever."

She was behind bars last night after parents Adrienne and Roger turned her in when they allegedly saw her on TV attacking a police car.
Well I am sure she'll make a SMASHING ambassador.
__________________

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2011-08-12 at 07:28.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:16   Link #15711
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bernanke is an idiot to assume that the economic problem is due to money supply problem. It is legislation problem idiot.
That and the fact that the economy is too big for it to be properly predicted, especially when the models he promotes only take account of a small portion of the population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If the current Middle East are still British Colonies, it would be a good idea to set the mugger there and see him get stoned to death.

It is a stupid decision to forgive him, but I think I can respect someone who is stupid yet has a big heart. *not meant a sarcastic commentary*
They'd cut his hands off first, then stone him to death. He does have a big heart, but it is stupid to continue to study here when things are like this, not to mention already existing problems like high tuition fees, which are even higher for international students.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:19   Link #15712
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
That and the fact that the economy is too big for it to be properly predicted, especially when the models he promotes only take account of a small portion of the population.
Actually the economy CAN be predicted through the herd effect, but you have to really do your research so deep, and through a tight and contracting hole at the same time as the market entropy increases.

Otherwise how do people like Warren Buffet earn money by trading the stock market?

Quote:
They'd cut his hands off first, then stone him to death. He does have a big heart, but it is stupid to continue to study here when things are like this, not to mention already existing problems like high tuition fees, which are even higher for international students.
I am more inclined to think that this will end soon. The rioters don't have the energy to keep this farce going.

Though I am worried that a certain female friend of mine might murder someone before this blows over.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:23   Link #15713
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually the economy CAN be predicted through the herd effect, but you have to really do your research so deep through a tight and contracting hole.
Exactly my point, you need to research using the entire population for it to be effective, and know each individual's behavior for it to work to an extent, which is close to impossible. It's possible through the herd effect, but like I said, it's still to big for it t work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am more inclined to think that this will end soon. The rioters don't have the energy to keep this farce going.

Though I am worried that a certain female friend of mine might murder someone before this blows over.
It's already looking like it's coming to a close anyways, especially now that cops are authorized to use rubber guns and water cannons. The rioters are pretty much like bullies, they didn't expect retaliation (like seriously, how can you not?).

Lol maybe you should try getting in touch with her see if she's ok?
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:29   Link #15714
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Exactly my point, you need to research using the entire population for it to be effective, and know each individual's behavior for it to work to an extent, which is close to impossible. It's possible through the herd effect, but like I said, it's still to big for it t work well.
There is one common trick traders use to earn their profits, and that is market segmentation. See which industry is going where, and turning trades against it.

Though it is hard to even trade bonds now.....France and co. banned short-selling. Lovely way to fix the economy by preventing others from hedging against it - it isn't going to change much since most people going long are going to hold or dump, and nobody is going to touch those damned stocks.

But I am sure those idiots are going to blame "speculators" for the lack of fluidity in the stocks later on - how liquid can the money market get when you start freezing positions?

Quote:
It's already looking like it's coming to a close anyways, especially now that cops are authorized to use rubber guns and water cannons. The rioters are pretty much like bullies, they didn't expect retaliation (like seriously, how can you not?).

Lol maybe you should try getting in touch with her see if she's ok?
I do support Gaddafi's decision for Cameron to quit though. Indecisive politicians shouldn't take chair; if it was Aunt Marge she'd order the entire Royal Marine Commando on those rioters.

I did last night. She said she carries a kitchen knife to school everyday.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 03:46   Link #15715
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Though it is hard to even trade bonds now.....France and co. banned short-selling. Lovely way to fix the economy by preventing others from hedging against it - it isn't going to change much since most people going long are going to hold or dump, and nobody is going to touch those damned stocks.

But I am sure those idiots are going to blame "speculators" for the lack of fluidity in the stocks later on - how liquid can the money market get when you start freezing positions?
Is it so surprising? They expect speculators to think for them rather than try to think for themselves. Why do I cringe when I hear about managing directors? Because they don't do any of the managing themselves.

Well, I don't want to say "let them freeze positions so that they can only make gains in the short run," but when shit hits the fan in the long run, I suppose they get what they deserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I do support Gaddafi's decision for Cameron to quit though. Indecisive politicians shouldn't take chair; if it was Aunt Marge she'd order the entire Royal Marine Commando on those rioters.

I did last night. She said she carries a kitchen knife to school everyday.
Hmm, in a sense, I support his view as well, tho I still call him a troll hypocrite since he's the one using brute force against his own people. But Cameron is ineffective and indecisive. Part of the problem isn't really his fault tho, since he's in a coalition as far as I recall, but considering his background, it's a given he'll jump to conclusions based on paperwork more than experience.

I'm kinda thankful I'm not younger and going to the same school as she does
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 04:05   Link #15716
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Question: If those were still Colonies of the Empire...Wouldn't a Malaysian be a British citizen?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 05:42   Link #15717
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
You'd always be a citizen of the British Empire yeah, but you wouldn't be 'British' unless you came from England. You'd be a "colonial" though we're not colonies anymore. The colonies were self governed but enforced laws of the homeland more or less with some local tweaks. These days, like here in Australia we are citizen's of Australia, but we're still technically part of the empire although it's called the 'commonwealth of nations' now, same difference really just sounds friendlier.

Strictly speaking the Queen is the head of our nation via the Governor General who has some authority over the federal government (same for NZ and Canada). Though in reality for day to day things, I doubt most people know who the governor general is since they rarely even pop up to do anything (I think it's a lady atm?). Does happen though, like when they dismissed the Whitlam government in the '70's.

There is more to it then that (and probably more accurate), I was just tired/bored and typed stuff while passing through when I saw that question.
__________________

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2011-08-12 at 05:52.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 05:43   Link #15718
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually the economy CAN be predicted through the herd effect, but you have to really do your research so deep, and through a tight and contracting hole at the same time as the market entropy increases.

Otherwise how do people like Warren Buffet earn money by trading the stock market?
Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway can't predict the economy either, and they don't need to, as long as they are skilled at playing the markets. Good at investment (advice), but I don't rate Bufets ideas about economic policymaking higher then the people currently in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Haha I c wut u did thar

But yes, I do know that's what analysts do. The assumption of "ceteris paribus" is a prime feature in economic or financial analysis. This makes their job a lot easier since predicting the future is a hard thing to do, and so when it comes to forecast modeling, they leave unpredictable variable up to an error term and don't put much effort in calculating it. It's what makes econometrics the sort of subject you have to react by way of "wtf is this sh**?" In the end, they're just assumptions based on more assumptions
Econometrics is a rapidly developing field though, last decade or so, the inclusion of dynamic modeling, behavioural theory and the rise of econophysics have given some impressive results. Analysis can be a powerful tool if understood and used correctly, but short term results are everything in the bussiness, at the expense of all else. I have yet to meet a manager that worries beyond the next quarterly report.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 06:28   Link #15719
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
China delays retirement of senior state banker
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77B19A20110812
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 07:52   Link #15720
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
London Riots: Girl who smashed cop car is Olympics 2012 ambassador


Well I am sure she'll make a SMASHING ambassador.
And there goes a ton of advertising revenue for the London Games. If a bunch of people decide to cancel their trip to the next Olympics, or if they end up a huge flop, she and her friends only have themselves to blame.

I don't think the IOC should pull the Games from London based on this, but again, the upper-class anarchists who think they're in solidarity with the poor around the world by throwing bricks at "the pigs" would only have themselves to blame if it does happen. Talk about a huge black eye for any Olympic event.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.