AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-08-29, 22:39   Link #16181
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Bank of America to sell China bank stake for $8.3 billion

Quote:
(Reuters) - Bank of America Corp is selling about half its stake in China Construction Bank for $8.3 billion, in its latest effort to shed assets and boost capital.
The question raised is not why BofA needs capital, but rather why it chooses to shed stake SPECIFICALLY from a Chinese construction bank.

I smell liquidity problems in the Chinese construction sector, otherwise they wouldn't have make such a decision - combined with the fact that Warren Buffett actually bought out some of their shares, I wonder if he is actually the one who directed this particular operation, or that the bank executives took his advice of doing so......
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 22:50   Link #16182
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
http://www.regressiveantidote.net/Ar...y_Species.html
is actually a pretty on-target assessment of the plutocrat war to destroy the uppity middle class that appeared in the 20th century. Even Eisenhower called these plutocrats and their minions "stupid" (exact words). Where *are* those guillotines?
Food and gasoline aren't expensive enough yet. Give it time, though. America may have been anesthetized before the plutocrats started raping, but eventually the drugs will wear off and the general public will start to feel what's been shoved up their asses.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 05:28   Link #16183
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
French NATO jet collides with Lithuanian air force
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77T1E320110830
I'm wondering if it was a Rafale...
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 05:36   Link #16184
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Bank of America to sell China bank stake for $8.3 billion



The question raised is not why BofA needs capital, but rather why it chooses to shed stake SPECIFICALLY from a Chinese construction bank.

I smell liquidity problems in the Chinese construction sector, otherwise they wouldn't have make such a decision - combined with the fact that Warren Buffett actually bought out some of their shares, I wonder if he is actually the one who directed this particular operation, or that the bank executives took his advice of doing so......
Errh, it is not a Chinese construction bank, it is the Chinese construction bank. Together with agriculture bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank, and bank of China, they make the 4 largest state banks in China. The Construction bank is the second largest with Industrial and Commercial being the largest.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 05:46   Link #16185
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Errh, it is not a Chinese construction bank, it is the Chinese construction bank. Together with agriculture bank, Industrial and Commercial Bank, and bank of China, they make the 4 largest state banks in China. The Construction bank is the second largest with Industrial and Commercial being the largest.
Is it considered a central bank (run BY the CCCP and make decisions that has to go through to politicians) or a standalone financial institution (run with interests to the CCCP, but otherwise makes its own decisions)? Chinese legislation tends to blur alot when it comes to state finances and private business.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 05:58   Link #16186
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Is it considered a central bank (run BY the CCCP and make decisions that has to go through to politicians) or a standalone financial institution (run with interests to the CCCP, but otherwise makes its own decisions)? Chinese legislation tends to blur alot when it comes to state finances and private business.
It is more of the latter. The central bank in China is People's bank of China, which in a way, is the counterpart to FED in the US (Bank of China is different. It is only bank among the big 4 that's allowed to handle foreign currency. The names are confusing, I know.) Of course, since it is state owned, it is still heavily influence by the policies.

Just found this on the Wall Street journal article on this matter.
Quote:
The buyers of the stake include Singapore state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. and its wholly owned hedge fund, Seatown, according to people familiar with matter. The two funds were part of a group of buyers that included a Chinese investment fund, the people said. It was unclear how the stake was divided up.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 09:46   Link #16187
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Just found this on the Wall Street journal article on this matter.
Quote:
The buyers of the stake include Singapore state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. and its wholly owned hedge fund, Seatown, according to people familiar with matter. The two funds were part of a group of buyers that included a Chinese investment fund, the people said. It was unclear how the stake was divided up.
That Temasek has investments in CCB is not really startling — the Singapore sovereign fund has publicy stated its confidence in the long-term value of Chinese banks, and has been the second-largest CCB shareholder for a while. Also, the total consolidated stake, even after taking Seatown's shares into consideration, is not likely to exceed 10 per cent. Compare that against the Chinese government's stake: 59 per cent.

What's surprising is that Temasek is bidding for the BofA stake after having just sold HK$9.4 billion (US$1.2 billion) of CCB stock on July 5. Temasek is acting more short term than usual; it couldn't resist the substantial discount being offered by BofA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I smell liquidity problems in the Chinese construction sector, otherwise they wouldn't have make such a decision - combined with the fact that Warren Buffett actually bought out some of their shares, I wonder if he is actually the one who directed this particular operation, or that the bank executives took his advice of doing so......
The danger at the moment isn't really in China's banks, hence Temasek's vote of confidence (I'm sceptical, but I suppose it knows something other investors don't). The banks' cash-reserve ratio is now at 21.5 per cent, as Beijing struggles to curb inflation, especially in its property market.

The real worry is over the state of local-government finances, which Moody's claims to be understated by as much as US$540 billion. Beijing says there is no need to panic ("Total debt held by the central and local authorities is less than 50 per cent of the nation’s gross domestic product, 'far lower' than the debt levels seen in European countries."). Others beg to differ. I don't know who to believe any more.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 14:50   Link #16188
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Sometimes even if you like the administration, it takes freaking forever to get a serious internal problem fixed. Even if it is getting people killed --
(re "Fast and Furious" BATF clusterfuck "how incompetent can we be?"
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/us...er=rss&emc=rss
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 19:36   Link #16189
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Irene costs restart Washington budget battle
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S4XY20110829
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 19:48   Link #16190
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Irene costs restart Washington budget battle
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S4XY20110829
Here we go again...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 20:10   Link #16191
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Here we go again...
just cut defense spending back to End of Clinton Term levels and there will be plenty of money.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 20:15   Link #16192
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well we are supposedly pulling out of Afghanistan this year, Iraq as well, and the support for NATO in Libya should be finished soon since we have no need to occupy anything.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 20:40   Link #16193
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
It is more of the latter. The central bank in China is People's bank of China, which in a way, is the counterpart to FED in the US (Bank of China is different. It is only bank among the big 4 that's allowed to handle foreign currency. The names are confusing, I know.) Of course, since it is state owned, it is still heavily influence by the policies.

Just found this on the Wall Street journal article on this matter.
I was fine with the article, until this line took the cake :

Quote:
Last week, CCB President Zhang Jianguo told Reuters the two companies were in talks to extend their current cooperation agreement for another five years.
The Chinese has plenty of retail experience already. Why do they need more? I suspect it is more of an attempt to avoid the yuan from rising when the Americans pull out their US dollars, which results in greater costs for the Chinese construction sector as the money supply becomes less diluted.

Then again, it could be paranoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That Temasek has investments in CCB is not really startling — the Singapore sovereign fund has publicy stated its confidence in the long-term value of Chinese banks, and has been the second-largest CCB shareholder for a while. Also, the total consolidated stake, even after taking Seatown's shares into consideration, is not likely to exceed 10 per cent. Compare that against the Chinese government's stake: 59 per cent.
Note : By their law, a foreign body (meaning, non-citizen of China) cannot own more than 49% in ANY Chinese company.

Quote:
What's surprising is that Temasek is bidding for the BofA stake after having just sold HK$9.4 billion (US$1.2 billion) of CCB stock on July 5. Temasek is acting more short term than usual; it couldn't resist the substantial discount being offered by BofA.
This isn't a time to buy-and-hold, so I get what Temasek is actually doing. But if they wanted more bang for their buck, why not wait for awhile and go for Euro bonds?

Interest rates are bound to rise (though maturity is nowhere in sight) for that one. CCB probably won't have much earnings IMO, but something tells me that them peeps working in there are not watching the potential black-coloured red markings on the Chinese balance sheets.

Quote:
The danger at the moment isn't really in China's banks, hence Temasek's vote of confidence (I'm sceptical, but I suppose it knows something other investors don't). The banks' cash-reserve ratio is now at 21.5 per cent, as Beijing struggles to curb inflation, especially in its property market.

The real worry is over the state of local-government finances, which Moody's claims to be understated by as much as US$540 billion. Beijing says there is no need to panic ("Total debt held by the central and local authorities is less than 50 per cent of the nation’s gross domestic product, 'far lower' than the debt levels seen in European countries."). Others beg to differ. I don't know who to believe any more.
When in doubt, don't buy, or get ready to short it all the way to hell.

EDIT :

Obama shakes up gun agency over botched Mexico sting

Quote:
(Reuters) - The Obama administration announced on Tuesday a major shake-up of the U.S. agency that botched an attempt to track weapons smuggled to drug cartels in Mexico after guns were allowed to flow freely over the border.
Sounds like a work campaign for 2012.

Also :

Exclusive: Bank of America kept AIG legal threat under wraps

Quote:
(Reuters) - Top Bank of America Corp lawyers knew as early as January that American International Group Inc was prepared to sue the bank for more than $10 billion, seven months before the lawsuit was filed, according to sources familiar with the matter.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-08-30 at 20:59.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 00:56   Link #16194
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Irene costs restart Washington budget battle
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...77S4XY20110829
This is... just downright vile.

Seriously, Republicans? "Cut off poor peoples' welfare or we're not going to help hurricane victims?"

Seriously?

How can anyone take these buffoons seriously anymore? How can anyone possibly believe that they have anyone's best interests at heart other than their own?
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:08   Link #16195
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
It doesn't say that anywhere in the article. Please don't read into things like that, it give a poor impression.

it says they may have to cut something from somewhere to have enough money for immediate aid. I does not say were and it also says the request to cut things will likely be ignored.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:15   Link #16196
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
It doesn't say that anywhere in the article. Please don't read into things like that, it give a poor impression.

it says they may have to cut something from somewhere to have enough money for immediate aid. I does not say were and it also says the request to cut things will likely be ignored.
I'm not talking about what's actually happening. I'm talking about what Cantor is implying with his words. I'm not stupid enough to believe that they'll actually get what they want--but just the audacity to say something like that?

I hope it does as much for Cantor's popularity as Romney's corporations-are-people nonsense.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:17   Link #16197
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
The budget is so tight they are having to root through the sofa cushions for change. Unlike say six years ago with Katrina and the emergency aid that was put out.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:17   Link #16198
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Not on this site no more.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The Chinese has plenty of retail experience already. Why do they need more? I suspect it is more of an attempt to avoid the yuan from rising when the Americans pull out their US dollars, which results in greater costs for the Chinese construction sector as the money supply becomes less diluted.
Then they'd just buy more Yen, forcing the Japanese CB to buy dollars. Two birds, one stone.

Quote:
This isn't a time to buy-and-hold, so I get what Temasek is actually doing. But if they wanted more bang for their buck, why not wait for awhile and go for Euro bonds?
They probably see more room for gains in China if China loosens the Yuan more. This might be relatively cheap considering how recent market turbulence also pushed more money into Singapore and strengthened your currency vs the dollar.
__________________
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:18   Link #16199
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The budget is so tight they are having to root through the sofa cushions for change. Unlike say six years ago with Katrina and the emergency aid that was put out.
Which is a situation of their own making. Here's an idea--how about we take that disaster relief out of their enormously-bloated paychecks?
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:19   Link #16200
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
That would be something.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.