AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-09, 12:44   Link #17061
GDB

I wouldn't say "most", but "many" sure.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 12:50   Link #17062
sneaker

You really think so?
From the few documentations about U.S. prisons I've seen, they make many Western European prisons look like five star hotels.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 14:57   Link #17063
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
You really think so?
From the few documentations about U.S. prisons I've seen, they make many Western European prisons look like five star hotels.
depending on if it is federal or state vs max security vs low security.
There is reason why low security federal prison are call club fed. most don't even have walls.
Old 2011-10-09, 18:01   Link #17064
AnimeFan188

Stifling Seditious Speech

"Kazakhstan has joined a growing list of nations that are trying to censor the
Internet. While China is considered the most vigorous and effective censor of the
Internet, many other nations are using the same techniques. These include Cuba,
Iran, Myanmar, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
and Vietnam. None of these nations are democracies. All are police states or
monarchies determined to keep their subjects from having free use of the Internet.
In most cases, the real purpose is to prevent the people from overthrowing the
rulers. In this latest incident, Russia assisted Kazakhstan and pointed out that
social networking websites in general, like Facebook, were a police problem, as they
allowed "criminal elements" to plan illegal acts."

See:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hti.../20111009.aspx
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 18:23   Link #17065
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Kazakhstan has joined a growing list of nations that are trying to censor the
Internet. While China is considered the most vigorous and effective censor of the
Internet, many other nations are using the same techniques. These include Cuba,
Iran, Myanmar, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
and Vietnam. None of these nations are democracies. All are police states or
monarchies determined to keep their subjects from having free use of the Internet.
In most cases, the real purpose is to prevent the people from overthrowing the
rulers. In this latest incident, Russia assisted Kazakhstan and pointed out that
social networking websites in general, like Facebook, were a police problem, as they
allowed "criminal elements" to plan illegal acts."

See:

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hti.../20111009.aspx
Darn those coffeehouses and pubs, posted notes, and village gossip.. hotbeds of criminal elements and illegal act planning.
And don't forget telephones and cell phones... a prime indicator of criminal intent... o yeah, they drive cars, too.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 20:04   Link #17066
GundamFan0083

Fast and Furious weapons were found in Mexico cartel enforcer's home

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo..._story_display

From the article:
Quote:
Under Fast and Furious, begun in fall 2009, the ATF allowed illegal buyers to walk away with weapons in the hope that agents in Phoenix could track the guns and arrest cartel leaders.
Why is this agency still in existence?
Old 2011-10-09, 21:01   Link #17067
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post

From the article:

It may not be in a year or so.... the DOJ is floating the idea of deleting it as "overlap". It'll be a *long* time overdue.
Old 2011-10-09, 22:56   Link #17068
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post

From the article:

I would say either inertia or incompetence, if not both.

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 03:42   Link #17069
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Darn those coffeehouses and pubs, posted notes, and village gossip.. hotbeds of criminal elements and illegal act planning.
And don't forget telephones and cell phones... a prime indicator of criminal intent... o yeah, they drive cars, too.
Here is an article from Yomiuri (読売新聞).

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/world/news/...OYT1T00672.htm

Quoting a Hong Kong paper, it claims that a Chinese fighter jet crashed during test flight and the test pilot perished.

Well, the origin of the rumor starts from one of the Chinese forums for military enthusiasts. One guy posted an ambiguous poem about a plane. Because he lives around the flight test area and has posted some pictures about the test planes before, his poem garnered some attention and was interpreted as a plane crash. Now a journalist from a defense magazine posted this "news" on Chinese equivalent of twitter. Then it was picked up in HongKong news media, and now you see it in Yomiuri.

Since then, the poster of the poem has come online to deny the rumor, together with a picture of the allegedly crashed plane, and the Chinese official media has also come out to diffuse the rumor.

Not to say that internet censorship is in anyway good, but it just happens there is a convenient example of rumor almost getting out of hand. Once started, rumors almost have life of their own. Think about the moon landing, google "Chinese space walk". Rumor exists, but censorship is not the way to combat the rumors, more transparent government is!

Edit: Don't forget the Jiang-Zemin-is-dead rumor which is debunked by the reappearance of the man himself.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2011-10-10 at 06:02.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 05:22   Link #17070
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China's debt pileup raises risk of hard landing
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79901L20111010
Quote:
When China announced a nearly $600 billion package to ward off the 2008 global financial crisis, city planners across the country happily embarked on a frenzy of infrastructure projects, some of them of arguable need.

Old 2011-10-10, 07:41   Link #17071
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
China's debt pileup raises risk of hard landing
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79901L20111010
Well I got it faster than you, since yesterday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Insight: Deflating China's housing bubble

Meaning? The developers are the ones that will be ****ed instead of the consumers like in US. So long as the supply outstrips demand, the developers are the ones holding financial risk to the banks, which in turn control the nation's money supply.
And probably a few months ago after BofA dumps shares from CCB (too lazy to look for that post).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 08:15   Link #17072
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Americans Americans Thomas Sargent and Christopher Sims share economics Nobel

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-10-08-50-46

Old 2011-10-10, 10:48   Link #17073
Tom Bombadil

13 Chinese crew members killed after ships hijacked on Mekong River near Golden Triangle

Here is the BBC news on this as well.

China crew killed 'by drugs gang' on Mekong River

To kill so many in such brutal way is unlikely something done by a few drug dealers. Many are suspecting there might be something brewing underneath the the already chaotic situation in the Golden Triangle area.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2011-10-10 at 10:58. Reason: add another source.
Old 2011-10-10, 10:58   Link #17074
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
13 Chinese crew members killed after ships hijacked on Mekong River near Golden Triangle

To kill so many in such brutal way is unlikely something done by a few drug dealers. Many are suspecting there might be something brewing underneath the the already chaotic situation in the Golden Triangle area.
Mexico
Old 2011-10-10, 11:03   Link #17075
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:

Here is the BBC news on this as well.

China crew killed 'by drugs gang' on Mekong River

I wonder if the chinese will end up to have a millitary presence ( or a stronger one if they already have one) on the region if the situation get worse ?

Old 2011-10-10, 11:38   Link #17076
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Mexico
First, I believe most of the death in Mexico are caused by fighting between drug cartels, targeting civilians in such numbers are rare.

Second, unlike in Mexico, where there are many underground drug gangs, things work differently in the northern part of Burma (Golden Triangles). There are many independent armies with their own region of control. Some of them are capable of taking on the Burma army in battles.

So the problem in this case is much complex than what happens in Mexico. In Mexico, it is almost purely criminal. Here you need to find out whether it is criminal or it is carried out by these armed militias. If it is the latter, why?
Old 2011-10-10, 12:20   Link #17077
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I don't know, some of those drug cartels in mexico have de facto control over their area, and operate like armies.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 12:35   Link #17078
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
First, I believe most of the death in Mexico are caused by fighting between drug cartels, targeting civilians in such numbers are rare.

Second, unlike in Mexico, where there are many underground drug gangs, things work differently in the northern part of Burma (Golden Triangles). There are many independent armies with their own region of control. Some of them are capable of taking on the Burma army in battles.

So the problem in this case is much complex than what happens in Mexico. In Mexico, it is almost purely criminal. Here you need to find out whether it is criminal or it is carried out by these armed militias. If it is the latter, why?
Um... I think you need to update your understanding of the Mexican situation o.O
Old 2011-10-10, 12:46   Link #17079
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um... I think you need to update your understanding of the Mexican situation o.O
OK, I admit that my understanding of the Mexican condition is superficial at best, but are you saying that the drug cartels are comparable to these guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kachin_Independent_Army
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Wa_State_Army
Old 2011-10-10, 12:55   Link #17080
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
OK, I admit that my understanding of the Mexican condition is superficial at best, but are you saying that the drug cartels are comparable to these guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kachin_Independent_Army
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Wa_State_Army
The Zetas probably has a smaller army but they are arm with the best weapon they can smuggle form the US.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news