AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-15, 18:17   Link #17701
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Anyways, I think turnout will be EXTREMELY LOW this election.

Only people who will turn out in force are old heads and people not far from each respective party's base. I think even more people than normal just don't see the point.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:20   Link #17702
Rahan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Which stadium is that?
As said before, it's the SDF, the biggest stadium of the country.

The booing occurs when France plays against one of its former north african colonies (Morocco, Tunisia and especially Algeria) which have large not so well integrated communities in France ...

Since last year and the rebirth of Algeria in football, the algerian community tend to riot after the games ... (either to "celebrate" a good result, or to vent on after a bad one) ...
How does that make even sense ... Algeria loses to Egypt or whoever and they burn cars in France ? (after rereading myself, I may seem harsh, so I'll to nuance and say those violent incidents are still of small scale and are not representative of the community as a whole)

I am not sure we are still accepting to play those countries for friendly games. I don't recall any trouble with sub saharian african countries, but we haven't played any in a while, I think. I only remember Nigeria (former british colony) in the last 5 years.
Even if it has never been told officially, I think that's why we playing more friendlies with american countries. (and even got to play the USA last week for the second time time ever). Those games are safer.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:21   Link #17703
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Well that is still almost a year away. A lot can happen, politically, in a year.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:25   Link #17704
Rahan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I don't recal anyone shooting an American player in any sport for missing a vital shot in a game. I seem to recall some South American players that were shot for that reason.
You are thinking of Colombia Andres Escobar.
His case is a bit different, since it's believed his death was ordered by a gambling syndicate who lost money because of his own goal.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:45   Link #17705
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
As said before, it's the SDF, the biggest stadium of the country.

The booing occurs when France plays against one of its former north african colonies (Morocco, Tunisia and especially Algeria) which have large not so well integrated communities in France ...

Since last year and the rebirth of Algeria in football, the algerian community tend to riot after the games ... (either to "celebrate" a good result, or to vent on after a bad one) ...
How does that make even sense ... Algeria loses to Egypt or whoever and they burn cars in France ? (after rereading myself, I may seem harsh, so I'll to nuance and say those violent incidents are still of small scale and are not representative of the community as a whole)

I am not sure we are still accepting to play those countries for friendly games. I don't recall any trouble with sub saharian african countries, but we haven't played any in a while, I think. I only remember Nigeria (former british colony) in the last 5 years.
Even if it has never been told officially, I think that's why we playing more friendlies with american countries. (and even got to play the USA last week for the second time time ever). Those games are safer.
I'm super nice and all, but people who boo a national anthem and then trash the place need a SWIFT KICK IN THE PANTS! ESPECIALLY if they're regulars (living) in the country. I'm not big on brandishing the American Flag everywheres, nor do I always get up and do the recital everytime at a game.

But I DAMN sure would not take it someone booing the anthem.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 18:51   Link #17706
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
WTF. I recall things like out-of-control celebrations that resemble riots with fires and overturned cars when teams in certain cities win in the US. How much worse can Europeans possibly be?
At it's worst, the Delije in the 90s. They are associated with Red Star Belgrade and formed the backbone of the Arkhan Tiger militia. Basically hooligans equiped with tanks and helicopters that took part in the ethnic cleansing operations in the Bosnia war.

I recon these days the worst hooliganism can be found in Poland. Ties with organized crime and like most hooligans in Eastern Europe very agressive to visiting fans and racist.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 19:09   Link #17707
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
I think Britain has the market cornered on hooliganism. English football hooligans are perhaps the most wellknown hooligans in the world. Every world cup the UK always sends out a contingent of police to school the hosting country in how to deal with the English Hooligans. Heck, the English invented football hooliganism (coincidentally, around the same time they invented football).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 19:23   Link #17708
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think Britain has the market cornered on hooliganism. English football hooligans are perhaps the most wellknown hooligans in the world. Every world cup the UK always sends out a contingent of police to school the hosting country in how to deal with the English Hooligans. Heck, the English invented football hooliganism (coincidentally, around the same time they invented football).
Nah, that was a long time ago. English hooliganism was at it's worst in the 80s with the Heiseldrama as it's saddest example. Tighter legislation, lifelong stadium bans and proactive police monitoring have been very succesfull at containing the problem. Only with the national team on away matches the occasional things happen when it's harder to keep track of known hooligans.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 20:03   Link #17709
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I think Britain has the market cornered on hooliganism. English football hooligans are perhaps the most wellknown hooligans in the world. Every world cup the UK always sends out a contingent of police to school the hosting country in how to deal with the English Hooligans. Heck, the English invented football hooliganism (coincidentally, around the same time they invented football).
The german do also have a pretty bad reputaion about hooliganism, no ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 21:50   Link #17710
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
A bill to stop "insider trading" in Congress is gaining momentum with two new Senate supporters.

Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., today introduced the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act of 2011, which would prohibit members or employees of Congress, as well as executive branch employees, from using nonpublic information obtained through their public service for investing or any attempt at personal financial gain. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., is introducing a slightly different version of the legislation on Wednesday.

Like everyone else, members of Congress are subject to current insider trading laws. However, current insider trading laws do not apply to nonpublic information about current or upcoming congressional activity -- that's because members of Congress aren't technically obligated to keep that information confidential.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...ess/?tag=stack

Insider trading among Congressional members. While it has been technically legal... it doesn't mean that it has been right. They'll do themselves a favor in getting this thing passed.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 23:10   Link #17711
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Anyways, I think turnout will be EXTREMELY LOW this election.

Only people who will turn out in force are old heads and people not far from each respective party's base. I think even more people than normal just don't see the point.
This is very true, and also very concerning, because as you know there are politicians and corporations out there that are actively trying to make it for people harder to vote. It is called voter suppression and it can only benefit the lunatics of the tea party.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 23:16   Link #17712
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Even without any kind of suppression, people just don't vote. Usually because they think it is a waste of time (for one reason or another).

I vote. Even though my vote so far has never counted in a Presidential race. Even if the person I voted for won...the state electoral board did not vote for him, thus my vote did nothing. Effectively anyway. Yet I still vote.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 23:25   Link #17713
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Thailand considering reviving 400 year old techniques to prevent future flooding in the capital. This is pretty cool... I wish Houston, New Orleans, and other Gulf cities would take notes...

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/travel/news/2...fe077000c.html
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 23:45   Link #17714
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
I've been to Ayutthaya. It's basically -- well, it is -- an island city right where rivers enjoin. The rivers serve as the city's natural moats in prior times (the successful Burmese assault that destroyed the city was carried in the dry season). There's a reason it was capital; it's almost literally the heart of the central flood plains. With a flood this massive, there's no way Ayutthaya gets spared.

I'm far more worried about Bangkok though to be honest. It's on a lower ground level than Ayutthaya, the canals are much more paved over by the massive urban sprawl, there's so much more people there, many of which live in slums that are right by the remaining clogged, polluted canals, and the area is experiencing the "sinking" phenomenon (not sure what the scientific name is) where excessive usage of underground water results in the land sinking closer to sea level (whereupon Bangkok will either have to undertake expensive seawall projects and alternative water channels for such cases as this particular flood, or witness total disaster).

But for the article itself, there's a strain of Thai intellectual thinking in regards to political, social, and economic problems that to look to the past, to "return to harmony with nature," is the solution. Sometimes it is actually a pretty good idea, and it might serve Ayutthaya well locally (if for the off-chance it actually gets implemented through the corrupt local authorities) -- but any project that successfully deals with this kind of flooding needs to be much more than local. It needs to deal with the central floodplains as a whole, to reduce the volume of water that's going to have to go through the congested metropolis of Bangkok in the first place.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 23:49   Link #17715
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Didn't one of those cities just get a giant storm drain system of massive tunnels under it to prevent flooding?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 00:36   Link #17716
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Gonzo to Collaborate with Singapore School for Animation Training
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 05:32   Link #17717
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Arab League meets Assad foes after 69 die in Syria
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7MD0GZ20111115
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 10:07   Link #17718
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
...
I'm far more worried about Bangkok though to be honest. It's on a lower ground level than Ayutthaya, the canals are much more paved over by the massive urban sprawl, there's so much more people there, many of which live in slums that are right by the remaining clogged, polluted canals, and the area is experiencing the "sinking" phenomenon (not sure what the scientific name is) where excessive usage of underground water results in the land sinking closer to sea level (whereupon Bangkok will either have to undertake expensive seawall projects and alternative water channels for such cases as this particular flood, or witness total disaster).
Ah, its called "subsidence" (an important word in Houston and New Orleans as well ).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 10:14   Link #17719
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
By 2020, all the British soldiers stationed in Germany will have come back to the UK, the Ministry of Defence has announced. But the offspring of soldiers who stayed on after World War II or returned there in the years that followed are making their mark in German society, says Chris Bowlby.

Well it's nice to see Germany accept those who's parents were mixed nationalities in their government.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-16, 10:38   Link #17720
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
With Greece in debt and owing the Germans a heck lot of money, wouldn't WWIII start when Germany (once again, though called for) invades Greece to get their money back?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.