AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-11-25, 10:40   Link #17841
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kitch-Water and T.O., Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Crowds hit stores for "Black Friday" deals

While you guys know the standard drill of me ranting over Big Corp and how stupid we are to feed them with our spending habits, Black Friday also has another significance.

It is the only day where you get to see WOMEN behaving at their WORST with your BEST INTERESTS at heart. Scary.

Girls, if you want your significant half to treat you nicer, or you simply want to scare him away or into submission, ask him to accompany you for Christmas shopping.

Whoever quoted the phrase "Man is the most dangerous creature God ever put in this world" sucked at spelling - should have added the two letters "Wo" in front.
It's already started! 2 Shootings+robberies and crazy woman with pepper spray on 20 random people at walmart.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...y-attack-.html
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 14:25   Link #17842
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Well obviously, since diamonds can turn instantly into graphite. though the day we will be able to turn graphite into real diamond (and not some cheap thing) hasn't come, as long as we can't it's still has some value I guess.

You so sure?
In particular:
Quote:
Seeking an unbiased assessment of the quality of these laboratory diamonds, I asked Bryant Linares to let me borrow an Apollo stone. The next day, I place the .38 carat, princess-cut stone in front of Virgil Ghita in Ghita's narrow jewelry store in downtown Boston. With a pair of tweezers, he brings the diamond up to his right eye and studies it with a jeweler's loupe, slowly turning the gem in the mote-filled afternoon sun. "Nice stone, excellent color. I don't see any imperfections," he says. "Where did you get it?"

"It was grown in a lab about 20 miles from here," I reply.

He lowers the loupe and looks at me for a moment. Then he studies the stone again, pursing his brow. He sighs. "There's no way to tell that it's lab-created."

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...#ixzz1ekLrKUxS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Democracy stop existing in the 1980s after the Soviet Union collapsed, because they no longer had a competing ideology.

Today, it has morphed into either plutocracy, autocracy or idiocracy. For example, pre-2011 election Singapore is an autocracy, but during and after the election, it could be considered an idiocracy now.
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Now obviously Singapore has a seriously flawed system (for instance the Multi-candidate constituencies...), but I wouldn't extend that to other countries.

Democracy ain't perfect sure, but I'd like any of you to show me something better that has existed previously. Democracy gives us a means to change the people in power without requiring some kind of revolution to do it.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 15:07   Link #17843
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
Dunno about what that man says, possible who knows, I know that it needs a pressure that we human can't do right know to make it perfect. I knew we could create diamond but only cheap -low thing-.

Maybe US is more advanced on this, or maybe the smith man sucked.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 16:55   Link #17844
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Dunno about what that man says, possible who knows, I know that it needs a pressure that we human can't do right know to make it perfect. I knew we could create diamond but only cheap -low thing-.

Maybe US is more advanced on this, or maybe the smith man sucked.
Generally there's nothing structurally wrong with the diamonds that are currently created. Usually the issue is that they end out a bit discoloured.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 17:56   Link #17845
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's already started! 2 Shootings+robberies and crazy woman with pepper spray on 20 random people at walmart.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...y-attack-.html
word on the streets is that OWS-ers disappeared at 9PM Thursday night and have not been seen since. There's a rumor that some unwashed, nasty smelling people were making mad dashes down the shopping aisles... they may have been the OWS-ers because someone got peppered sprayed by a woman, no doubt a plain clothed police officer, while protecting xbox360s.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 20:19   Link #17846
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Dunno about what that man says, possible who knows, I know that it needs a pressure that we human can't do right know to make it perfect. I knew we could create diamond but only cheap -low thing-.

Maybe US is more advanced on this, or maybe the smith man sucked.
Quote:
As far as aesthetics go, consumers shouldn't see any difference. Both mined and synthetic diamonds are chemically identical. Neither the naked eye, nor an ordinary microscope can detect the difference. Jewelers can tell with a loupe by reading a laser inscription required by the Federal Trade Commission. Otherwise, it takes high-tech equipment that analyzes the crystal structure of diamonds (like a proprietary machine De Beers has) to distinguish the difference.

http://news.cnet.com/Synthetic-diamo...3-6159542.html
Article is form 2007, i am sure the tech has only improve since.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 22:41   Link #17847
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Aye. Synthetic Diamonds are still pretty expensive to make though. In fact, if De Beers started selling off their diamond stock, they may be able to under price them.

However at that point they'd have driven down prices so low that Diamonds were no longer a great money maker....

But currently, mining them is still cheaper then making them.

Anyway, I wouldn't be buying diamonds right now.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 22:52   Link #17848
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Aye. Synthetic Diamonds are still pretty expensive to make though. In fact, if De Beers started selling off their diamond stock, they may be able to under price them.
actuallysynthetic diamonds are much cheaper then mine diamonds. Your info on the tech and pricing of Lab Diamonds are completely out of date.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 00:14   Link #17849
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
F-35 makes headway amid criticism, US budget crunch
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7AO1AT20111125
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 00:22   Link #17850
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It's already started! 2 Shootings+robberies and crazy woman with pepper spray on 20 random people at walmart.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...y-attack-.html
I've always found the "Black Friday" frenzy induced by the retailers abhorrent and obnoxious - frankly, I'd be arresting the CEOs/regional managers/etc for okaying these "incitement to riot" situations without adequate crowd control.

Hell, the amount of time spent in lines even under civil conditions... well, I simply prefer to spend an amiable 4 days with friends/family.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 06:36   Link #17851
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
actuallysynthetic diamonds are much cheaper then mine diamonds. Your info on the tech and pricing of Lab Diamonds are completely out of date.
I don't know, isn't it about $20,000 to make a small lab diamond?

However, when I looked online for info, I couldn't find anything after 2009, so you could be entirely right. My only thinking is that it's often going to be cheaper to just take something out of the ground, rather then to make it artificially. Don't forget that artificial diamond still requires graphite feedstock, which still needs to get mined out of the ground.

Anyway, I'd predict in the long run that diamonds will be pretty cheap. People will wonder what the fuss is all about. Another great thing about artificial diamonds is that they're not "bloody".
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 13:54   Link #17852
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft successfully launch

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html



__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:01   Link #17853
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
^ Nine months. That's gotta be one hell of wait.

NATO admits Pakistan troop deaths:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15904197
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:02   Link #17854
subwaygyal
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
oh man thats terrible thing that happened
subwaygyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:31   Link #17855
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I don't know, isn't it about $20,000 to make a small lab diamond?
not even close, google nexus diamonds

Quote:
However, when I looked online for info, I couldn't find anything after 2009, so you could be entirely right. My only thinking is that it's often going to be cheaper to just take something out of the ground, rather then to make it artificially. Don't forget that artificial diamond still requires graphite feedstock, which still needs to get mined out of the ground.

Anyway, I'd predict in the long run that diamonds will be pretty cheap. People will wonder what the fuss is all about. Another great thing about artificial diamonds is that they're not "bloody".
Mined Diamonds is probably cheaper to produce then lab diamond but the retail price markup for a mined diamond is significantly higher the actual price to produce it due to the artificial generated scarcity of companies like debeers. Lab Diamond while costing more to produce then a Mined Diamond has a significantly lower retail markup. For a similar size and quality a Lab Diamond cost 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Mined Diamond.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 14:51   Link #17856
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Pakistan demands US vacate air base after deadly strikes
Pakistan blames NATO forces for killing up to 28 Pakistani soldiers at military outposts

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45442885..._central_asia/
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 16:47   Link #17857
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I've always found the "Black Friday" frenzy induced by the retailers abhorrent and obnoxious - frankly, I'd be arresting the CEOs/regional managers/etc for okaying these "incitement to riot" situations without adequate crowd control.

Hell, the amount of time spent in lines even under civil conditions... well, I simply prefer to spend an amiable 4 days with friends/family.
What?
Wasting good portion of thanksgiving day and spending hours upon hours outside a store standing in line just to have a CHANCE to save a hundred bucks or two isn't totally worth it?

You're kidding me!

/sarcasm
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 17:07   Link #17858
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Mined Diamonds is probably cheaper to produce then lab diamond but the retail price markup for a mined diamond is significantly higher the actual price to produce it due to the artificial generated scarcity of companies like debeers. Lab Diamond while costing more to produce then a Mined Diamond has a significantly lower retail markup. For a similar size and quality a Lab Diamond cost 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Mined Diamond.
Ah, but I wasn't referring to price, I was referring to the actual cost of extracting it vs. the cost of making one. So you would agree that when we take market forces completely out of the equation, mined diamonds are cheaper. That was the only point I was trying to make.

So, for the moment, Industrial diamonds won't drive mined diamonds out of business, but they will break the monopoly and force them to lower prices.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 17:31   Link #17859
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Or to spend even more on marketing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 17:41   Link #17860
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Ah, but I wasn't referring to price, I was referring to the actual cost of extracting it vs. the cost of making one. So you would agree that when we take market forces completely out of the equation, mined diamonds are cheaper. That was the only point I was trying to make.
I agree that the cost of making one is probably higher then mining one however i do disagree that the amount to produce lab diamonds is very high. While i am not a expert in this area i have compare the market value of Diamonds some of my clients insured and similar quality lab diamonds and the lad diamonds significantly cost less.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or to spend even more on marketing.
or buy up the competition. DeBeers purchase 2 companies that produce Lab Diamonds.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.