AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-12-09, 01:01   Link #18081
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Yeah that's kinda what I meant by my second line.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 03:31   Link #18082
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Cameron vetoes EU treaty change:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16104275
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 03:42   Link #18083
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
How is the Pound doing over the Euro anyway?
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 04:04   Link #18084
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I don't really know anything about economics but there is still a general sense that we dodged a bullet in not joining the Euro.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 04:27   Link #18085
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: UK
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Cameron vetoes EU treaty change:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16104275
That was inevitable. The Europe issue is a thorn in the side of any Tory leader, simply because so many backbenchers and grassroots supporters are against it entirely.

Seeing as Cameron wants to avoid a referendum, he really had to use the veto to appease the folks back home. That said, it's refreshing to see a British Prime Minister actually go as far as to use the mythical UK Veto to defend UK interests. On this issue, at least, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't support his decision 100%.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 04:49   Link #18086
solomon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Suburban DC
I'm a little confused as why England gets to defeat a eurozone agreement when it's not in the eurozone.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 05:26   Link #18087
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I'm a little confused as why England gets to defeat a eurozone agreement when it's not in the eurozone.
Sakozy is just as annoyed as well:

Quote:
“You cannot have an opt-out and then ask to participate in all the discussion about the euro that you did not want to have, and which you also criticised,” declared the French president.

Well, if I am not mistaken, Cameron vetoed the EU-wide treaty, but the core Euro members are going to carry out the treaty by themselves.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 05:39   Link #18088
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Two dead in Virginia Tech University shooting
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B71XL20111209
A cop and one than might be the shooter died, we might have avoid another school shootout.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 05:54   Link #18089
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Two dead in Virginia Tech University shooting
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B71XL20111209
A cop and one than might be the shooter died, we might have avoid another school shootout.
My bets are that the Congress won't do anything at all because of their interests with Big Gun Supplier. So how bout we have a shootout in the Congress? At lesst that would be more productive.*sarcastic*
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 06:06   Link #18090
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
My bets are that the Congress won't do anything at all because of their interests with Big Gun Supplier. So how bout we have a shootout in the Congress? At lesst that would be more productive.*sarcastic*
The only change, beside maybe some congressmans, would probably than the congress would gain some sympathy as a ''victim''. They might manage to be more popular than Hugo Chavez .
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 09:06   Link #18091
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
My bets are that the Congress won't do anything at all because of their interests with Big Gun Supplier.
And what, exactly, is Congress supposed to do about it? You can't just ban guns. It's too late in the game for that. Even moreso since there's a huge Black Market for weaponry just a hop and skip south of the border.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 09:11   Link #18092
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And what, exactly, is Congress supposed to do about it? You can't just ban guns. It's too late in the game for that. Even moreso since there's a huge Black Market for weaponry just a hop and skip south of the border.
More regulation for gun sales, like the way banks (not in US or China) do profiling for customers taking loans.

And making people to update their gun license or relinquish ownership of their weaponry (include a special keepsake license for war vets looking to keep the odd M1911/Browning HP that saved their lives), and making people pay to upkeep the license.

The periodic license payments should solve PART of the US debt problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
How is the Pound doing over the Euro anyway?
Compared to the USD?

GBP/USD

EUR/USD

GBP is slightly stronger than Euro, but the former is getting dragged down.

And.....

New meat for the grinder - Croatia pulled into EU to add solidity liquidity to the Euro

Data for Croatia. Another country with deficit to the Euro. Negative current account balance too.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-12-09 at 09:28.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 09:16   Link #18093
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Tax all guns out of oblivion.

When it costs 5000$ to buy a handgun, well , that should put a damper on things.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 09:48   Link #18094
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
More regulation for gun sales, like the way banks (not in US or China) do profiling for customers taking loans.
They already have regulation out the ass. Doesn't do anything because it's either not enforced, not enforced properly, or they just get their guns off the Black Market. Also, profiling is bad, mmkay?

Quote:
And making people to update their gun license or relinquish ownership of their weaponry (include a special keepsake license for war vets looking to keep the odd M1911/Browning HP that saved their lives), and making people pay to upkeep the license.
So, you wanna take their guns? I'm sure that'd go over splendidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Tax all guns out of oblivion.

When it costs 5000$ to buy a handgun, well , that should put a damper on things.
Obviously not an option in America.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 10:06   Link #18095
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
the problem with anti-gun legislation in a place like the U.S where there already ARE a lot of guns around, is simple.
criminals don't obey the law (its in the job description).
if you make it illegal for ordinary, law abiding citizens to own weapons, then it means only NON law abiding citizens would own them.

there's got to be something wrong with a situation where only the criminals get to have weapons.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 10:11   Link #18096
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They already have regulation out the ass. Doesn't do anything because it's either not enforced, not enforced properly, or they just get their guns off the Black Market. Also, profiling is bad, mmkay?
Risk appetite and split-second thought profiling is good. Just like how dummies who ended a three-day talkshop without any idea what derivatives actually are, they are only taught how to fire the gun without exercising responsibility in owning it. Maybe a small test to see if they actually know about what owning a gun means will work?

Quote:
So, you wanna take their guns? I'm sure that'd go over splendidly.
Nothing is easy at the start. Still, it is better than having one of those short-tempered ones hold it, then draw it out to shoot someone when a small argument breaks out right?

Quote:
Obviously not an option in America.
I agree with you on this, $5,000 per handgun is ridiculous. Gun ownership is about responsibility, not about cost.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 10:51   Link #18097
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
How is the Pound doing over the Euro anyway?
The pounds fall against the Euro over time seems to have stabilized and is now hoovering around 1.15 for the last 2 months. Budget/debt issues and risk of bank contagion from the Eurozone prevent a strong rise of the currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
That was inevitable. The Europe issue is a thorn in the side of any Tory leader, simply because so many backbenchers and grassroots supporters are against it entirely.

Seeing as Cameron wants to avoid a referendum, he really had to use the veto to appease the folks back home. That said, it's refreshing to see a British Prime Minister actually go as far as to use the mythical UK Veto to defend UK interests. On this issue, at least, I can't imagine anyone wouldn't support his decision 100%.
I'm sure it's a popular move, but if it helps UK long term interests is far from sure. A veto is normally used to prevent something from happening. Now the treaty continues as a intergovernmental one outside of EU supervision (and UK influence). The new treaty is now the worst of both worlds. Countries give up national sovereignty on their budgets and get nothing in return. This approach shifts the balance of power far more towards the large Eurozone states over the EU institutions.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 10:55   Link #18098
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nothing is easy at the start. Still, it is better than having one of those short-tempered ones hold it, then draw it out to shoot someone when a small argument breaks out right?
It's too late,you can't start now and say than US civilian can't own firearm. And it's probably not the veteran than are the more dangerous one, especialy if they managed to fit back into civil society.

Quote:
I agree with you on this, $5,000 per handgun is ridiculous. Gun ownership is about responsibility, not about cost.
True, the biggest threat isn't the weapon itself but the moron than think himself invinsible because he own the mean to kill so many of thoses around him.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 12:54   Link #18099
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
More regulation for gun sales, like the way banks (not in US or China) do profiling for customers taking loans.

And making people to update their gun license or relinquish ownership of their weaponry (include a special keepsake license for war vets looking to keep the odd M1911/Browning HP that saved their lives), and making people pay to upkeep the license.

The periodic license payments should solve PART of the US debt problem.
Yeah good luck with that. Won't happen in our lifetimes fortunately.

And thanks to people like you, I think I'll go down to my local gun store in Havasu and pick up a new evil black rifle.
__________________
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-09, 13:32   Link #18100
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Some people own no guns. Some people own one gun.

And some people own lots of guns. Some because they are collectors. Some because they like to have a range of choices at the target range. And some just because they like to get the next biggest thing (sort of like hot rodders).
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.