AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-02-06, 13:57   Link #19481
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Syria bombards Homs; West scrambles for new strategy

Quote:
"Currently, the situation in Syria is extremely complex. Simplistically supporting one side and suppressing the other might seem a helpful way of turning things around, but in fact it would be sowing fresh seeds of disaster," the People's Daily said.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 14:54   Link #19482
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Yet one problem is that there is basically no way to confirm anything since the media is not allowed into Syria. We can't confirm if this is an isolated problem or a wider problem. We get one side of the story from our media, and another, completely different story from the Syrian government and the Russian media (I don't know if we are getting anything at all about this from the Chinese media).
Old 2012-02-06, 15:40   Link #19483
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It is both an economic and geographical problem since we are so tasty as a port city. And to compound problems, pirates and smugglers enjoy using Singapore as a gateway between Malaysia/Thailand and Indonesia/Philippines. Bootleg liquor is a small issue, but the real problems are refugees from Vietnam who end up being sold as sex slaves, and when those perverts aren't satisfied with Vietnamese girls they took Thai and Malay ones. And arms smuggling too, mostly dated Enfields, BARs, Arisaka, T-100 and Sten guns.
Absolutely true, which is why more intellectual industry (like media) is the key. Those industries can't be captured.

Still, it's always important to be aware of the fact...

Quote:
You need to study the media industry from a localised point of view.

Before inviting foreign actors, we MUST first have a strong media base. And we must have an original idea. You know what kind of original film idea did Hong Kong create?

Kung Fu movies.

Beyond the lightsaber and route 66 K-mart boot kicks, they actually used historical characters and add salt and spice to it. And we have brilliant writers who wrote sensationals about heroism and chivalry - two traits which are lacking amongst the warmongering politicians around the world at the time. That is also the reason why

They became popular also due to real martial-arts fighting and choreography - something that lingers up till today. Although not as far fetched as the Nine Suns Skill or the No Shadow Kick.

What kind of genre has Singapore produced other than Kopi-O and such? Most of the stuff are just local culture and limited in market value - Malaysia did pretty with a few people like P. Ramlee, their stuff comes across but our stuff never goes up North.

I think the problem is that we are too conservative when it comes to media development, they are always afraid of offending someone.
But this is my point. There is nothing physically preventing Singapore from producing the next "Kung Fu Wave". It only needs to produce that one, single succesful movie. Just look at what "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" did with Wuxia. Now it's absolutely true that Singapore's film industry has nothing remarkeable to distinguish it now, I watched a singaporean comedy (my friend wanted to watch something Hokkien-> roped me into watching Money no Enough), wasn't great. But all the technical capabilities were there. What's needed is a single idea to run with. And frankly, there's no reason why they can't just ape HK and just pump out more Kung Fu or Triad films. And they have the resources to make those films in Languages catering to 4 big Markets, English, Malay (let's not forget Indonesia also speaks a variant), Tamil (india...), and of course Chinese. They just have to stop making films whose appeal is purely local. Singapore is a big cosmopolitan city, it's a perfect place to set movies.

After copying HK sufficiently, maybe some bright spark will think up something themselves, and propel Singapore's film industry into the stratosphere. Let's not forget, Hong Kong was producing crap for 20 or 30 years before they started to hit gold in the 80s. Singapore can follow, out of a crap filled industry, gold will eventually coalesce.

Now I don't know what Singapore's policies are here, but they could at least start floating huge tax breaks, particularly to film makers in Hong Kong, and hopefully tempt them to move to Singapore. If they have any media controls, they should work on removing those, particularly where movies are concerned.

There's no reason Singapore can't be the next Hong Kong. Particularly as Hong Kong now has the prospect of ever more media regulation on the part of the PRC government. All that means is that HK talent like Andy Lau are going to be roped into more movies like "The Founding of a Party/Beginning of the Great Revival" rather then the next Infernal Affairs.

There's a gap for Singapore to exploit, if it has the wherewithal to. It has competition from Taiwan though.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 15:41   Link #19484
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

US closes Syrian embassy as diplomacy collapses
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...02-06-13-27-29

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 15:52   Link #19485
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Absolutely true, which is why more intellectual industry (like media) is the key. Those industries can't be captured.

Still, it's always important to be aware of the fact...

But this is my point. There is nothing physically preventing Singapore from producing the next "Kung Fu Wave". It only needs to produce that one, single succesful movie. Just look at what "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" did with Wuxia. Now it's absolutely true that Singapore's film industry has nothing remarkeable to distinguish it now, I watched a singaporean comedy (my friend wanted to watch something Hokkien-> roped me into watching Money no Enough), wasn't great. But all the technical capabilities were there. What's needed is a single idea to run with. And frankly, there's no reason why they can't just ape HK and just pump out more Kung Fu or Triad films. And they have the resources to make those films in Languages catering to 4 big Markets, English, Malay (let's not forget Indonesia also speaks a variant), Tamil (india...), and of course Chinese. They just have to stop making films whose appeal is purely local. Singapore is a big cosmopolitan city, it's a perfect place to set movies.

After copying HK sufficiently, maybe some bright spark will think up something themselves, and propel Singapore's film industry into the stratosphere. Let's not forget, Hong Kong was producing crap for 20 or 30 years before they started to hit gold in the 80s. Singapore can follow, out of a crap filled industry, gold will eventually coalesce.

Now I don't know what Singapore's policies are here, but they could at least start floating huge tax breaks, particularly to film makers in Hong Kong, and hopefully tempt them to move to Singapore. If they have any media controls, they should work on removing those, particularly where movies are concerned.

There's no reason Singapore can't be the next Hong Kong. Particularly as Hong Kong now has the prospect of ever more media regulation on the part of the PRC government. All that means is that HK talent like Andy Lau are going to be roped into more movies like "The Founding of a Party/Beginning of the Great Revival" rather then the next Infernal Affairs.

There's a gap for Singapore to exploit, if it has the wherewithal to. It has competition from Taiwan though, but Taiwan doesn't have the easy access into other language markets that Singapore has, and it's larger, and so perhaps less ability to invest into media industry.
You mistake my point. The thing stopping us is the conservative mindset.

Secondly, China won't be "regulating" HK's movie industry anytime soon; it counts for a few billion dollars; who wouldn't like to earn that? That is the reason why MPAA is drawing up the ACTA because nobody wants to visit the cinema anymore - they prefer everything over the TV and the movie stars are losing their glam as walking advertisements for clothes, shoes, watches, sunglasses, hairstylists, image consultants, etc; they fear losing control of their income streams.

And finally, the media industry is a very dirty place, and much worse than Wall Street as the people blatantly play dirty all the time and tout it as the norm in that particular industry. To have a better image than another star, means to put down the other star through a scandal or through unwarranted mudslinging. Singaporean media workers are too green to play that kind of game properly.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-02-06, 22:22   Link #19486
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You mistake my point. The thing stopping us is the conservative mindset.

Secondly, China won't be "regulating" HK's movie industry anytime soon; it counts for a few billion dollars; who wouldn't like to earn that? That is the reason why MPAA is drawing up the ACTA because nobody wants to visit the cinema anymore - they prefer everything over the TV and the movie stars are losing their glam as walking advertisements for clothes, shoes, watches, sunglasses, hairstylists, image consultants, etc; they fear losing control of their income streams.

And finally, the media industry is a very dirty place, and much worse than Wall Street as the people blatantly play dirty all the time and tout it as the norm in that particular industry. To have a better image than another star, means to put down the other star through a scandal or through unwarranted mudslinging. Singaporean media workers are too green to play that kind of game properly.
So I guess Singapore can only blame themselves...

Though I'm not so sure on the health of the HK film industry. It's been a while since they produced a real hit. In the last 5 years there was Ip Man and...

It feels like most of the big money is on the mainland right now. HK has only been a shadow of it's former self since the financial crisis. I can only count 2, maybe 3 top notch films since 1997.

Maybe I don't keep close enough tabs on Chinese language film, but there just doesn't seem to be that much of quality coming out. A lot of bad comedy, and a few plodding gangster films, along with overproduced mainland Wuxia. I'd like to see something that beats, say, Hard Boiled.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:09   Link #19487
sa547
*Author

Apparent troll post incites outrage from earthquake victims. She had no idea that a single post could get her killed.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:53   Link #19488
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Yet one problem is that there is basically no way to confirm anything since the media is not allowed into Syria. We can't confirm if this is an isolated problem or a wider problem. We get one side of the story from our media, and another, completely different story from the Syrian government and the Russian media (I don't know if we are getting anything at all about this from the Chinese media).
Different? No difference at all:

http://www.gazeta.ru/politics/2011/1..._3937174.shtml
Quote:
Genocide in Syria. Army kills more than 200 rebels. "They(army) were surroding the whole blocks and settlements and then burning them to the ground..."
http://www.gazeta.ru/news/lenta/2012..._2193833.shtml
Quote:
Syrian opposition reports on new bombing of the city of Homs, "the most brutal in recent days"
etc. So the stries are mostly the same here
Old 2012-02-07, 04:41   Link #19489
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Russian media's main issue is it's sometimes blatant Putin Fanboying.

I'm
looking at you Russia Today!
Old 2012-02-07, 05:34   Link #19490
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Russian media's main issue is it's sometimes blatant Putin Fanboying.

I'm
looking at you Russia Today!
RT is really a bad example I don't even need to tell that Margarita Simonyan(chief editor) is a member of Moscow's branch of Putin's "Narodnyi Shtab" (Popular HQ).

RT is like Putin TV show.
Old 2012-02-07, 07:19   Link #19491
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
RT is really a bad example I don't even need to tell that Margarita Simonyan(chief editor) is a member of Moscow's branch of Putin's "Narodnyi Shtab" (Popular HQ).

RT is like Putin TV show.
Actually if you consider him to be ex-KGB he is rather badass. Though he should have remained as chief-of-intelligence and giving the Americans bad days rather than enter politics.

Old 2012-02-07, 13:54   Link #19492
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Something more local: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46294255...-gay-marriage/
Court: Calif. ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional
Ruling paves way for a likely Supreme Court showdown on voter-approved Prop 8

Quote:

A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 2-1 that a lower court judge correctly interpreted the U.S. Constitution when he declared in 2010 that Proposition 8 was a violation of the civil rights of gays and lesbians.

"Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples," said Judge Stephen Reinhardt in the majority opinion. "The Constitution simply does not allow for 'laws of this sort'."

California voters passed Proposition 8 with 52 percent of the vote in November 2008, five months after the state Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage by striking down a pair of laws that had limited marriage to a man and a woman.

The ballot measure inserted the one man-one woman provision into the California Constitution, thereby overruling the court's decision. It was the first such ban to take away marriage rights from same-sex couples after they had already secured them.
This will be amusing.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-07 at 14:50.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 14:22   Link #19493
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

A few salient points were raised which I felt needed a response but I didn't have time earlier to give what I hope would be substantive answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
And no, I don't understand conflicts as you described them. So you said that people have their identity, religion and culture.... sure. They want to protect it.... I still see no problem. But why on earth do they push their ideas on others, who have a different belief?
What constitutes "pushing" is very subjective and it can often be very hard to see why some people don't see their actions as being "pushy". In this regard, everyone loves referring to religious and cultural beliefs, especially those linked to that one particular religion that everyone loves to bash (as I once did, in my callow youth).

Try to imagine this: If you've found something wonderful that changed your life, and which you believe would also help the people you care deeply about, would you keep quiet about it? Your mum keeps telling you, while you're growing up, "Eat your vegetables. They're good for you." Is she being pushy, or is she just showing that she cares for you in her own limited way?

Let’s push this up a notch into a more controversial realm that I was very familiar with. Some five years ago, my country was caught up in a huge and extremely unpleasant debate over whether to repeal legislation that criminalises sodomy between men. It provoked an ugly backlash against those who argued, fairly reasonably, that the law is oppressive (not to mention, hypocritical on many levels) against those with a different sexual orientation.

Those who wanted to keep the law said: "Hell no, we will not let them impose their way of life on the rest of us." Never mind the inherent misunderstanding and lack of logic behind this stance. The very fact that there are others who insist on foisting their definition of "normality" on them is evidence that their beliefs are under attack.

And this is what I mean when I said that politics is the art of the possible: It's about realising that all ideals are based on emotion. It's about knowing that you will never be able make people give up their passionate beliefs with dispassionate logic; rather, you must be able to persuade others to believe in you. It's about accepting that all men are flawed and that all change takes time. It's about coming to terms with the fact that, to get people to do something, you must give up something in return.

In short, it's about patient accommodation.

When you have some people stridently insisting that they are right — on the basis of logic, science and natural history — and that anyone who disagrees with them are ignorant bigots, you have to wonder: Who is "pushing" who?

Hence, conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Personally, I am a pragmatic person myself, even though my previous post might have looked otherwise. However, I believe that idealism is a what makes a civilised society civilised.
Some 50 years ago, Mr Lee Kuan Yew and his equally doughty colleagues fought tooth and nail against the Malay-dominated coalition ruling the Malayan Federation over the ideal of meritocracy against affirmative action favouring economically disadvantaged Malays. Mr Lee wouldn't compromise on the issue. For his stubbornness, Singapore got kicked out of the federation.

The die was cast. By right, we shouldn't have survived as an independent country. Big Brother expected us to crawl back and beg for mercy. Once again, politics is the art of the possible. Mr Lee couldn't say, "No, I can't do this." Having dragged us into this mess, he had to find the "yes" that would work. He had to do whatever was necessary — including making decisions that later historians will no doubt see as highly questionable — to ensure we would survive. The alternative would be to accept what was (and still is) a subtle form of apartheid.

Where did the idealism end and the pragmatism begin? Hard truths, hard choices.

@DonQuigleone: I was in the midst of replying to your comments on Singapore's media landscape when my PC crashed (blue screen of death, MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION). Nearly an hour's worth of work down the drain. HHHNNNGGG. I managed to recover only the above, purely by memory. I'm too tired to continue. Maybe I'll pick it up later, if the one-who-must-not-be-named doesn't get me first.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-02-07 at 14:36.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 15:16   Link #19494
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

@DonQuigleone: I was in the midst of replying to your comments on Singapore's media landscape when my PC crashed (blue screen of death, MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION). Nearly an hour's worth of work down the drain. HHHNNNGGG. I managed to recover only the above, purely by memory. I'm too tired to continue. Maybe I'll pick it up later, if the one-who-must-not-be-named doesn't get me first.
Sad to hear that. I look forward to learning more!
Old 2012-02-07, 15:40   Link #19495
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Something more local: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46294255...-gay-marriage/
Court: Calif. ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional
Ruling paves way for a likely Supreme Court showdown on voter-approved Prop 8

This will be amusing.
To quote the most interesting comment on the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
http://world-news.newsvine.com/_news...onal#c62246957
I can already guess what arguments will be used in an attempt to justify the continuing of legal bigotry...

The polygamy/group marriage argument: Fails. There isn't enough public interest to support the complications surrounding accross the board legal polygamy. We would have to spend the time and money rewriting tax law, insurance law, family law, probate law, yada, yada, yada.

The pedophilia/inanimate object/besitality argument: Fails. Children, animals, and random objects lack recognized legal capacity under the law. They can't consent, they can't contract, they don't get to vote, yada, yada, yada. Continuing, homosexuality is not a mental illness, it's not listed in the DSM-IV and has no negative impact on society.

The marriage is religious argument: Fails. Marriage is a contractual property agreement predating all organized religion. You're thinking of Holy Matrimony. Nor is the public or society a party to the contract. The consideration is only between the two legal adults. That's why society doesn't get a share in everyone's divorce, we don't sign the lisense, we don't get the kids every other weekend.

The majority rules argument: Fails. We're a Republic, we don't vote on civil rights, and marriage is a civil right. SCOTUS has ruled in one 14 different times. This means you need a reason that passes strict scrutiny to prohibit marriage. None of the following are legal reasons... The Bible, your personal beliefs, Jesus, God, religion, your morals, unproven paranoia.

The state shouldn't place no religion, above religion: Fails. Nothing doesn't equal something. Overturning religious based legislation, in no way supports Athieism. Again I thank you Indie for this fantastic example... If you're pushing against a wall, and you stop, does that mean the wall is now pushing you? No. If a lack of religion constituted a support of Athieism, we would have to write disclaimers on every single, non religious, thing in the country.

The I don't want it in my face argument: Fails. Get over yourself. There are just as many people out there that don't want your relationship in their face either, does that mean you should live in a closet? No. Get over yourself. If you don't like something, don't pay attention. Not being able to unjustifiably force people to conform to how you want them to be, isn't an infringment on your freedoms. Call me when someone forces you to be gay or have gay friends, or like the gay lifestyle. Until than, get over yourselves.

Now, I'll just wait for someone to make a logical, legal argument, why same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed...
The only arguement I've heard tends to be based on "Marriage" being a term commonly associated with one man and one woman. Usually the question comes up, "why don't the homosexuals use a different term?" Or the other one is "Why are they asking for extra rights above those of everyone else?"
Old 2012-02-07, 16:14   Link #19496
solomon

My conservative aunt brought that up.

SHe has no problems with Gays having the same rights as Straights do when in a union. It's the coopting of the term "Marriage" that bugs her. To me it's a semantic deal. I think the Homosexual community is just gonna have to give up on the semantic argument and push for the same benefits and legal protection.

Also here is an interesting analysis on why Al-Assad is still hanging around (CNN international service actually isn't too bad)

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/07/wo...tml?hpt=imi_t3
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 16:18   Link #19497
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
My conservative aunt brought that up.

SHe has no problems with Gays having the same rights as Straights do when in a union. It's the coopting of the term "Marriage" that bugs her. To me it's a semantic deal. I think the Homosexual community is just gonna have to give up on the semantic argument and push for the same benefits and legal protection.
i think there is already a push in that direction. Get the government out of "Marriage" just issue civil union licenses. Leave "marriage" to religion.

Get a Civil Union license in city hall then a Marriage Ceremony in the Jedi Church.
Old 2012-02-07, 16:23   Link #19498
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
The polygamy/group marriage argument: Fails. There isn't enough public interest to support the complications surrounding accross the board legal polygamy. We would have to spend the time and money rewriting tax law, insurance law, family law, probate law, yada, yada, yada.

The majority rules argument: Fails. We're a Republic, we don't vote on civil rights, and marriage is a civil right. SCOTUS has ruled in one 14 different times. This means you need a reason that passes strict scrutiny to prohibit marriage. None of the following are legal reasons... The Bible, your personal beliefs, Jesus, God, religion, your morals, unproven paranoia.
The two counter-arguments kinda conflict with each other, no? Polygamy does not matter because the majority don't want it. But then the majority do not matter because we go by the law.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-07, 17:02   Link #19499
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Even so, you would need enough of a minority to care about the subject matter to make it an issues. If the population that cares is too small, no one fuctionally cares to make it a real issue.
Old 2012-02-07, 17:34   Link #19500
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
The two counter-arguments kinda conflict with each other, no? Polygamy does not matter because the majority don't want it. But then the majority do not matter because we go by the law.
That's not the point of the counter-argument to polygamy. The point is that polygamy involves more than two people, and would thus require that many laws and considerations be rewritten. Same-sex marriage is still between two people, and thus only really requires very small tweaks to the law. It isn't that same-sex marriage is somehow more acceptable than polygamy simply because the majority say so - it's because there isn't enough societal interest or support to put forth the effort that would be required to make polygamy work within the legal framework.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news