AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-01, 01:01   Link #1
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer

Voice actor's highlight role

When I watch anime, I mainly watch for characters before the story. As most of my favourite shows, most characters are likable or sympathetic, at least makes you feel something in certain situation. For me the characters are the most important that's why I consider casting the right voice actor is very important. The script may be the foundation but you know voice actor can make the boring, tedious script most interesting.

Share your opinion with me what this particular voice actor's best role was and I encourage you to say the role that you thought this actor portrayed very well but unfortunately underrated or obscure? And it doesn't matter subbed or dubbed.

Now don't post any actor like Mamoru Miyano for his role as Okabe Rintarou. Any average anime fan will know that this anime was big.

I was thinking of making this thread when I was watching Skip Beat. While the production value was so so and the anime itself wasn't bit too consistent, it was entertaining all the way through because Marina Inoue was voicing the main character. I've already been thoroughly impressed by her other well-known roles but here she shows her versatile acting. I always thought her role was severely underappreciated. Her character was natural, subtle and dynamic without being over-the-top and stupid.

While this anime is relatively well known, not many people talk about this actor. Here in this anime, almost all of times, the main character seems be caffeinated and always talking in motormouth and Shintaro Asanuma did a flawless job of tackling this character. Unfortunately despite the fact, most people knows about Tatami Galaxy, nobody talks about how brilliant the acting was. He had the excellent timing, breath control and handling emotion of this complex character.

Now I'm watching this anime called Sora Kake Girl which I actually like it to my surprise maybe because a lot of characters are outrageous and this anime seems to be self-aware of it making it crazy. I quite liked Rie Tanaka's portrayal of Xanthippe, here she is unrestrained and screaming and laughing most of time as an over-the-top character which is unusual. From all the anime I've seen so far, she usually voices the characters that are total opposite from Xanthippe. Again this role is not well-known for some reason, Sora Kake Girl wasn't too well-received considering it's made by Sunrise.

Anyways, I find it a good way to appreciate the voice acting skills because I find that most people don't seem to talk about it even though this is like to me what makes anime all the better, more memorable.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 02:38   Link #2
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

This thread is so very much meant for Kaoru Chujo, arguably AnimeSuki's foremost authority on seiyuu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
When I watch anime, I mainly watch for characters before the story. As most of my favourite shows, most characters are likable or sympathetic, at least makes you feel something in certain situation. For me the characters are the most important that's why I consider casting the right voice actor is very important. The script may be the foundation but you know voice actor can make the boring, tedious script most interesting.

...Anyways, I find it a good way to appreciate the voice acting skills because I find that most people don't seem to talk about it even though this is like to me what makes anime all the better, more memorable.
I'm almost the complete opposite. Voice actors are almost usually the last thing on my mind when I watch anime. Actually, it's more accurate to say that I don't focus on any "main thing". Rather, it could be the show's character designs, the aesthetic feel, the cinematography, the storyboard, the pacing, the premise, the social inspiration, or even its overall philosophy that grabs my interest.

I find that if the project as a whole doesn't "click", no amount of voice-acting talent would save the show. More importantly — and I remember saying this to Kaoru Chujo on a previous occasion — I find the quality of anime voice-acting to be generally so good that it would take someone truly awful or exceptional to make me sit up and take notice.

All that said, I do remember a few names from what seemed to me to be their "stand-out" performances:

And this season, relative newcomer Kaori Ishihara as Madoka Kyouno has single-handedly won me over to what would otherwise be a fluffy mecha show. In my book, she's certainly one of those extremely rare cases who is good enough to for me overlook a series' minor flaws.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 02:52   Link #3
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Is this topic about a seiyuu's first or atleast an earlier role that got him/her famous or about seiyuu's best roles?
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 04:17   Link #4
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I'm almost the complete opposite. Voice actors are almost usually the last thing on my mind when I watch anime. Actually, it's more accurate to say that I don't focus on any "main thing". Rather, it could be the show's character designs, the aesthetic feel, the cinematography, the storyboard, the pacing, the premise, the social inspiration, or even its overall philosophy that grabs my interest.

While cinematography, pacing and the whole plot of anime is crucial, I started with slice-of-life anime to really get into this anime fandom so that's why for me the characters are the most important. Of course, other people will have different opinions about it.

I find people has very rare opinions about the voice actor's performance other than when they are reviewing the anime. It kind of annoys me that voice acting industry has that same mentality of Hollywood at least less repulsive but it's resembling that system a little. It's all about credibility and resume than actual skills. Well that's just my 6 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Is this topic about a seiyuu's first or atleast an earlier role that got him/her famous or about seiyuu's best roles?
No, this topic is asking more about the voice actor's best roles in more obscure anime that are very underrated or hardly praised simply because of much bigger anime like Death Note or Puella Magika get more attention.

I'll give another example.

Take Daisuke Ono, not quite well-known seiyuu than Jun Fukuyama was excellent as Hosaka from Minami-ke. Even though he was just a supporting character who appeared in half of the series, he made a hell lot of impression because of that personality. He didn't have much to say in the script but it worked. Unfortunately, his role is not that well-known because it was 2007 where I can name 2 big shows arrived overshadowing the very excellent Minami-ke.
Old 2012-02-01, 04:41   Link #5
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Daisuke Ono is popular enough by constantly landing roles in animes these days (he is getting more roles than Fukuyama) unlike most male seiyuus.
Also i wouldn't call him unknown or lesser known in 2007, because he did voice Itsuki in the Haruhi anime that was aired 1 year earlier. Also Minami-ke was popular enough to get 3 seasons, so i would not call it an unknown serie.

But back on topic, so you meant seiyuu's roles in lesser known anime that were still excellent.

I think Aoi Yuuki in Kurenai seems to fit in this topic.
In 2008 she was pretty unknown (besides being a child actor) but i think that she did a pretty good and convincing role.

Also i think Hanazawa Kana's role in Ryuusei no Gemini was in my opinion one of her earlier roles that was good before she got popular. She portrayed nicely both Suou's emotional and emotionless (a side effect of getting special powers in the series) sides very well

edit: can this topic be also used for pretty unknown seiyuu's in relatively unknown series that delivered an excellent performance?

Last edited by hyl; 2012-02-01 at 05:01.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:00   Link #6
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer

That is also acceptable and encouraged. As long as it's an excellent performance that are underrated, any replies are good.

In the english dub side, I thought Chris Patton as Tatsuhiro Sato from Welcome to the NHK was phenomenal. I mean the anime itself is popular and all but I think it's nowhere near any anime from Kyoto Production. I mean the actor himself is already better well-known as the main character Sasuke from Full Metal Panic but his acting in Welcome to the NHK was inspiring yet, sadly forgotten.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:26   Link #7
totoum
Oppai warrior

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Takagaki Ayahi really needs to get more leading roles.
Her performance as Ein in Phantom:requiem for the phantom was quite something to me.

Start off emotionless/robotic and little by little get more emotional.At one point since she's undercover as a cute little imouto she sounds way cuter than in the rest of the show,there's a scene where she gives of all mission information in a deadspan voice and when she's done she instantly switches to a cute voice,that sent me chills.
A lot of Ein's character developement came through Takagaki's performance.

Sadly she mostly pops up in supporting roles,there's plenty of those to get thanks to her range,she recently was young Taichi in Chihayafuru,she's Chris in Symphogear and since she's part of sphere I hope to hear plenty of her in Natsuiro Kiseki.

Akiko Yajima
Pino from Ergo Proxy.Best loli voice.Period.Despite the fact she's much older than some of her coworkers.
And she can do much more than loli,the girl has amazing range.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:57   Link #8
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

I would say Wakamoto Norio as Oskar Von Reuenthal in Legend of Galactic Heroes. It may not be his most well known role in the western mainstream anime fandom, who will remember him more as the Emperor of Britannia.

However, while not as bombastic as the Emperor, Wakamoto as Oskar had been able to express the shades and subtleties of a tormented character, loyal friend but proud to a fault. Any fan of Wakamoto Norio is not complete until he or she have witnessed Oskar Von Reuenthal.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 07:29   Link #9
wontaek

I would put Izumi Konata and Kurumizawa Ume as Hirano Aya's best 2 performance.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:30   Link #10
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I would say Wakamoto Norio as Oskar Von Reuenthal in Legend of Galactic Heroes.
I'd reference Norio more as Chiyo-dad.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 07:56   Link #11
Stealther

Katou Nanae as Ahiru in Princess Tutu. She really sounds like a duck with that nasal tone. Otherwise I don't really care about seiyuus. Of course I like Senjougahara, Nodame, Shinku, original Hisoka etc, but that is as much excellent written characters and script as voicing.

Otherwise I quite often like the rough untrained voices in for example Ghiblis, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo etc that don't speak all sqeaky. Maybe cause I don't react to stereotype shrill voice acting much anymore.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 08:03   Link #12
Sheba
Cannot Unsee It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I'd reference Norio more as Chiyo-dad.
Chiyo's Dad is not exactly obscure in the fandom.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 10:11   Link #13
brocko

Chiaki Omigawa as Hotori Arashimaya in Sore de machi (aka dat maid show) was a pretty outstanding performance if not her best imo. Something about her voice just managed to perfectly capture Hotori's airheaded, klutzy and idiotically energetic personality. I don't think anyone else could've done a better job at the character than she did. Her voice just fits so damn well.
Her recent role in Hanasaku Iroha as minko I thought to be pretty good too.

Takehito Koyasu had a rather standout role in Arakawa Under the Bridge as Sister and Level E as Kraft. It's not everyday you get to see him do comedy since he always gets typecasted as the suave and smooth cool talker.

Tomokazu Sugita is the man and he always manages to bring any of his roles to life, especially the more comedy focused ones. Tomokazu Seki can scream all he wants and I'll never get tired of it either, the dude is almost like the voice for those hotblooded characters that are always ready to shoot out their own vocal cords lol

Also need to mention that the pikachu voice actress is doing a mighty fine job in poyopyo despite not having to voice much. That roundass cat just wouldnt have been the same nor as likable if it wasn't for her voice.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 10:18   Link #14
YayPepsi

Kimura Subaru and Koizumi Yutaka were both amazing in their roles in Mawaru Penguindrum as Kanba and Sanetoshi, respectively. I can't wait to see them in more roles (especially Subaru) because their voice acting was one of the biggest highlights in the show. Arakawa Miho was quite good in her role as Himari too.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:57   Link #15
leokiko

I care, a LOT. Most VA's are awesome in their roles. But a few...are just spetacular...... Without them, the character can't be brought entirely to life, which is the main reason I watch animes for: For the characters.

A recent (more or less) example would be Okabe.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 12:58   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My nominees are Sakurai Takahiro in his role as the Apothecary in Bakeneko and Mononoke, and Kuwashima Houko for her performance as Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari.

Sakurai's performance as Yaichi in House of Five Leaves has a similar vibe to his performance as the Apothecary. Namikawa Daisuke also gives an excellent performance in that show. Kuwashima has extraordinary range with quite different voicings for characters like Clare in Claymore and Isako in Dennou Coil.

I'll also mention Tanaka Rie's work in Hataraki Man. If you've only heard her voice tsundere characters in harems, her performance as the world-weary editor in Hataraki Man will be a revelation. Ando Mabuki gave a stellar performance as Balsa in Seirei no Moribito. She's primarily a stage actor and has only voiced half-a-dozen anime roles, along with Fang in the Japanese version of Final Fantasy XIII.
Old 2012-02-03, 17:18   Link #17
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Shuuchi Ikeda as Char Aznable from the Gundam Franchise, pretty much a career in and of itself. He's been other characters of course, but he's basically been voicing that character in appearances all over various types of media for the past 30+ years.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 18:18   Link #18
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Shuuchi Ikeda as Char Aznable from the Gundam Franchise, pretty much a career in and of itself. He's been other characters of course, but he's basically been voicing that character in appearances all over various types of media for the past 30+ years.
Same can probably be say about Toru Furuya. On the other hand, though, Furuya definitely voice someone else OTHER than Amuro (Pegasus Seiya for example).

Quote:
Also i think Hanazawa Kana's role in Ryuusei no Gemini was in my opinion one of her earlier roles that was good before she got popular. She portrayed nicely both Suou's emotional and emotionless (a side effect of getting special powers in the series) sides very well
Hanazawa is not exactly unknown by the time of Ryuusei no Gemini...she already got noticed ever since her first role (Zegapain). Hack, she voiced Mikan (TLR) and Zange-chan (Kannagi) before DTB...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 18:41   Link #19
hyl
sneaking like a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Same can probably be say about Toru Furuya. On the other hand, though, Furuya definitely voice someone else OTHER than Amuro (Pegasus Seiya for example).

Hanazawa is not exactly unknown by the time of Ryuusei no Gemini...she already got noticed ever since her first role (Zegapain). Hack, she voiced Mikan (TLR) and Zange-chan (Kannagi) before DTB...
Zegapain was not a role that landed her many other roles, she remained pretty unknown untill 2008 or 2009.
Old 2012-02-03, 22:18   Link #20
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post

It's funny, I remember Ryoko's voice standing out to me the first time I watched that show and nowadays knowing exactly who Kana Hanazawa is and the kinds of characters she famous for playing it's funny how much Ryoko's design and personality just scream Kana Hanazawa voiced character in retrospect even though she was literally an unknown at the time. Show was years ahead of it's time or something.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote