AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-13, 01:33   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Thermae Romae

No forum for this one yet? It's subbed, so this should be moved to "Current Series" ASAP.

Not surprised there's little interest, because this is very odd. Extremely crude flash animation, only three episodes, esoteric as hell - but I enjoyed the first episodes. Very sly social commentary and some good gags. But why is Steve Buscemi in ancient Rome?

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-01-13 at 12:37.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 02:14   Link #2
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I haven't seen the episode, but this PV:





But I'm suspecting this PV was a troll.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 02:31   Link #3
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified


I think i watch the movie instead. It looks more interesting.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 02:38   Link #4
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Again, another hugely popular series that western anime fans don't care, and they had the audacity to say there's too many moe and fan service series nowadays?

The problem is that they they don't like moe, they don't like fan-service, and they don't like/follow the non-moe series so they just bitch about everything.

Anyway, it's only 3 episodes because there is only 3 volumes of manga so far, yet those 3 volumes sold at a record pace for seinen series that even make every Shonen and Shojo series not named One Piece jealous.

So far the series has already break 5 million copies with just 3 volumes.

It even has a live action movie slotted later this year featuring a kick-ass, top line cast with Hiroshi Abe , Aya Ueto, Masachika Ichimura, and Kazuki Kitamura .


Edit: Which MrTerrorist beat me to it with the trailer...
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 02:59   Link #5
Akarin
...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Anyway, it's only 3 episodes because there is only 3 volumes of manga so far, yet those 3 volumes sold at a record pace for seinen series that even make every Shonen and Shojo series not named One Piece jealous.
Thermae Romae vol.4 is already relased.



I really love the manga a lot and the recent chapters are particularly hilarious. I'm so happy that the anime is released.
Akarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:21   Link #6
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
Thermae Romae vol.4 is already relased.



I really love the manga a lot and the recent chapters are particularly hilarious. I'm so happy that the anime is released.
not even 3 weeks though, but agree. The manga is great, I can't wait for my Chinese version.

I also can't wait for the movie. That cast they have is a beast of a cast.

Hiroshi Abe is well known for his acting ability and ability to deliver cold, sharp comedic line. Same can be said with Kazuki Kitamura.

Masachika Ichimura is a well known stage/drama actor from a espect entertainment family.

And then you add a eye candy with Aya Ueto, that movie is looking really good from cast point.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:26   Link #7
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Just when I thought nothing in anime/manga would surprise me any more, something like this turns up.

A very interesting concept indeed. And so apparently obvious, too, given the two cultures' shared love for public baths. You'd have thought that someone, especially a sociologist or a historian, would have hit upon this idea a lot sooner.

If there's ever an anime for broadening the medium's appeal to Italians, Thermae Romae would probably be it. Meanwhile, it's time to soak.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:45   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
I didn't plan to pick this up because I wasn't even expecting anyone to bother subbing it. Imagine my surprise when someone did.

Anyway gonna watch it later.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 03:50   Link #9
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Again, another hugely popular series that western anime fans don't care, and they had the audacity to say there's too many moe and fan service series nowadays?

The problem is that they they don't like moe, they don't like fan-service, and they don't like/follow the non-moe series so they just bitch about everything.
I suggest you don't generalize people.

Not everyone who has been levying criticisms against the industry at the moment is as you say.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 04:26   Link #10
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Then, you are NOT in the crowd that I'm referring to isn't it.

Have you checked General Anime discussion lately? There are at least 2-3 threads opened and then closed on the very topic in last month, none of them ended with remotely convincing argument from the accusing side.

Anyway, you're right, I probably should put the word "some" in it, though I stand by my point.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 05:15   Link #11
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Again, another hugely popular series that western anime fans don't care, and they had the audacity to say there's too many moe and fan service series nowadays?

The problem is that they they don't like moe, they don't like fan-service, and they don't like/follow the non-moe series so they just bitch about everything.

Anyway, it's only 3 episodes because there is only 3 volumes of manga so far, yet those 3 volumes sold at a record pace for seinen series that even make every Shonen and Shojo series not named One Piece jealous.

So far the series has already break 5 million copies with just 3 volumes.

It even has a live action movie slotted later this year featuring a kick-ass, top line cast with Hiroshi Abe , Aya Ueto, Masachika Ichimura, and Kazuki Kitamura .


Edit: Which MrTerrorist beat me to it with the trailer...
I am impressed by this anime!

And to think that some complained that this anime shelved aside other more anticipated projects!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 05:21   Link #12
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I watched the first episode and although it produced some chuckles it's not ROFLMAO material so it's not enough for me to keep following.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 05:34   Link #13
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I am impressed by this anime!

And to think that some complained that this anime shelved aside other more anticipated projects!



I just wish there's more episodes of it instead of just 3.

The Manga is amazing.

But can't really argue with the decision when there are only 4 volumes out, (3 at time of announcement) and I rather they don't mess up on the adaption.



As for those whines, I'm just getting tire seeing "some" western fans complain about the state of the industry and blame it all on otaku and moe and fan service, when they have no concrete evidences nor arguments and are just pissed off because they thought there aren't as many stuff them want when in reality they are too lazy to spend time looking for stuff they claim no longer exist.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 07:22   Link #14
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trendy Backwater
Age: 28
The best ever. The pure randomness made me giggle. I like the expressions of different characters so far. The crappy animation it may be, I cannot really criticise about anything. It was very wacky.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 07:53   Link #15
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
This is obviously a teaser project for the movies. Each episodes only consist a manga chapter.

I really hope that it become an actual 1-cour series.


My favorite part was when it modified the scene in manga and turn it into a perfect movie plug.

Lucius: "A giant, single block mirror!!! They have such a giant mirror!!? And the flawless detail in this advertisement portrait!!!" (looks at the Thermae Romae movie poster with Hiroshi Abe in the background.)

Flat-face Men: "You looked kind of like Hiroshi Abe!!!"



BTW, the mangaka Mari Yamazaki is from a musical family and she married to the grandson of an Italian pottery master, which is probably many many of her works deal with Italian family and culture. She is also currently live in Chicago and travels to Europe a lot.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:15   Link #16
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37

Couldn't resist turning it into a meme...
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:25   Link #17
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Well, it's certainly different, and not in a bad way.

I wonder if this was rustled up in a hurry to fill a gap because Black Rock Shooter wouldn't stretch to 11 episodes? So it was done on a low budget as filler.
Because I think the concept would most likely work well as a 'proper' anime series, as well as be a good fit for the Noitamina slot.

People may scoff at the 'crappy animation', but hey, I grew up watching shows like Captain Pugwash which was all done with cardboard cutouts, and Roobarb, which was all hand-drawn in felt-tip pen, so while this may not be up to today's standards, I've seen far worse!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:28   Link #18
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
I did enjoy the first two episodes of this anime as it's very unique. I do wonder how long I will stay entertained though because I believe there's only so much one can talking about regarding bathing.
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 08:29   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I watched the first episode and although it produced some chuckles it's not ROFLMAO material so it's not enough for me to keep following.
I didn't that it that funny either. However, the premise is original, interesting, and amusing, which is already more than I can say for a lot of series. That's enough to keep me watching. It's only three episodes long anyway, and it's not like I didn't enjoy this episode. I just didn't find it as hilarious as it could have been.

While looking up the show, I found out Lucius is voiced by a guy named FROGMAN (who also happens to be the executive director). That's awesome.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 09:04   Link #20
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
I did enjoy the first two episodes of this anime as it's very unique. I do wonder how long I will stay entertained though because I believe there's only so much one can talking about regarding bathing.
You'd be surprised, the chapters has being fairly formulaic in manga but the idea just keep popping out. (That's probably the wrong description consider the manga releases on a pace of roughly 1 volume a year.)

It really is a simple manga but very amusing to read. Kind of like 4-koma manga (K-On and co.) in an episodic story. Very sitcom like.
__________________
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.