AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-02-04, 08:37   Link #1
solomon

Dubbing Scene in Other (non US) countries

I thought this was a bit more specific than Best/Worst dubs and would get lost...

I have a question.

In non US/Canada countries you all have very active dubbing industries for say hollywood tv/movie imports for example. These can vary but some dubs I have seen for American animation are quite good (original Latin American Looney Tunes, French version of Simpsons).

I was wondering what the quality was of European/Foreign dubbing of anime and if they have any over lap between actors who work in regular TV/Movie dubbing work.

(I read that Humberto Velez, the Latino voice of Homer Simpson was in Naruto for a spell once).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 09:53   Link #2
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

The Philippine VA scene saw a low demand for VAs compared to the likes of Japan, and now they usually work on Taiwanese and Korean dramas. This is why we hear the same person dubbing in different series across different TV networks. For example, Naruto's Filipino VA also played Roan the Crusader in Ragnarok the Animation, and Hanamichi Sakuragi is also Kazuma Kuwabara (Alfred in the dub).

While the Philippine Sub vs Dub debate favors Subs for anime, most people tend to favor Dubs for Asian dramas imported into the country.

1. It's probably because of cultural differences and difference in speech paterns and voice pitches between Filipinos and the Japanese. The former can be attributed to the fact that the Japanese in general tend to speak faster than Filipinos, especially when ranting. The latter is more evident for female voices: JP female voices have far higher pitches than a PH female voice can ever reach.

2. Also, stock Anime verbal and emotional tics are often too difficult to express in Filipino. The only way to get around it is to convey the emotion as properly as possible.

3. IMO, Asian dramas are easier to dub into Filipino because only fewer emotions are required to convey, unlike Japanese anime which requires a much wider range.

This is why PH dubs are still tolerable for me to watch because the emotion is still there despite the execution being very different from the original Japanese.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:15   Link #3
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

^ Not to mention that Filipinos are known for their "ability" to not carry any distinct "speaking style" (in Filipino, "punto") when speaking even foreign languages.

If one has already watched the original Japanese dub for a certain anime series (Working!! for example, which is one of Hero TV's latest broadcast series) and you've heard the Filipino dub, chances are you'd end up comparing the two. It's not that bad in my opinion, though.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:55   Link #4
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

With exceptions of Cardcaptor Sakura, Angelic Layer and You're Under Arrest(first season), all Malay-dubbed anime sucked hard. As for Cardcaptor Sakura most of the credits were given to Sakura's voice actress, which was a big anime fan herself. Unfortunately this is her only role in the industry. As for You're Under Arrest, Natsumi's Malay voice actress really know how to voice her character.

I deliberately did not give any credits to Crayon Shin-chan and Doraemon because most Malaysians have no idea what other anime than these two.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 22:32   Link #5
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well I have seen some Italian dubs of Naruto and some German dubs of the Simpsons but thats about it I really dont go out of my way to fined things like this
Old 2012-02-05, 01:06   Link #6
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ Not to mention that Filipinos are known for their "ability" to not carry any distinct "speaking style" (in Filipino, "punto") when speaking even foreign languages.

If one has already watched the original Japanese dub for a certain anime series (Working!! for example, which is one of Hero TV's latest broadcast series) and you've heard the Filipino dub, chances are you'd end up comparing the two. It's not that bad in my opinion, though.
So true, unless an accent is required for the dubs, where the Kansai accent is often replaced by a Visayan accent.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote