AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 24.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 17.35%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.12%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.02%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 5.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 7 7.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-10, 12:02   Link #121
noobita
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Isn't that void weapon supposedly will dissolve once the owner let go of it? In that case, why is the girl's void still on the ground and got crushed by the pillar? I pretty sure that she let go of it accidentally...or the weapon takes certain amount of time to dissolved?

Same goes to the void boomerang (pretty silly weapon). It should be disappeared once Shu threw it.

Another thing is the title of this episode, the English word wrote "Tyranny", but the kanji obviously meant "kingdom".
__________________
noobita is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:07   Link #122
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The title is just a not-so-uncommon way for Japanese to use 2 titles at once. For example, last week Episode Japanese title was 告白 (Confession) while English was Sacrifice. All of the episode titles were like this.
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:18   Link #123
konart
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Moscow, RU
Age: 26
Send a message via Skype™ to konart
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Isn't that void weapon supposedly will dissolve once the owner let go of it? In that case, why is the girl's void still on the ground and got crushed by the pillar? I pretty sure that she let go of it accidentally...or the weapon takes certain amount of time to dissolved?

Same goes to the void boomerang (pretty silly weapon). It should be disappeared once Shu threw it.

Another thing is the title of this episode, the English word wrote "Tyranny", but the kanji obviously meant "kingdom".
Guilty Crown does not care about any of this.
__________________
Signature removed. Please check the forum signature rules before trying to upload another one. If you have questions, feel free to contact a mod through PM.
konart is online now  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:21   Link #124
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Aside of that, the whole totalitarian system doesn't make much sense whatsoever: my suspension of disbelief hit the bottom of the barrel as soon as I saw students bowing before Shu: yes, he is the key to their salvation, but he is no saint at all, especially in such state.
I was thinking the same thing. When I saw that I was like, "uhhhhhhhh... wut? ". I actually had to watch that exact part more than once to comprehend what was happening there; it was TOO ridiculous for me to be able to process it the first time, lmao. Next thing you know they'll be donning maid and butler outfits and saying "Yes, my Lord" every time Shu even murmurs hello.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:25   Link #125
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
Also, if Gai was cloned, then I demand that Dan Eagleman gets cloned as well!
I approve this

I like this evil Shu, although you can't expect him to win against a well-trained soldier despite of the Void (except if that soldier is fodder)
And that Void was was A? I still think Souta's Void deserves more than F-rank since it was quite useful in a couple of occasions

I watched the preview and it looks like the president wasn't killed by Inori (maybe Tsugumi made a double? Somebody stopped Inori?)
__________________
Bern-san is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:31   Link #126
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
students bowing before Shu
He is the president.
In anime(s) all students bow before student president.
(Yes in anime since I don't know about Japan but every anime I watched I see all students
bow before student president.)
Gundamx is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:34   Link #127
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
He is the president.
In anime(s) all students bow before student president.
(Yes in anime since I don't know about Japan but every anime I watched I see all students
bow before student president.)
There is a glaring difference between a greeting bow, and "that" bow. In japan, the angle determines how much you show deference to the other party. And frankly, in this case, it isn't anything close to a student council president, it is a complete different category (which is why Argo was pissed off already). And no, people don't go as far as -leaving the way free for you- in such fashion either, unless you are using few animes exaggerating this motion.
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2012-02-10, 12:53   Link #128
zalem
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Terrible writing. Hare's death in the episode before was so contrived and out of place (girlfriend in refrigerator syndrome....very badly done at that). And Shu's transformation is incredibly forced. I'll keep watching for amusement value, but the writer's really need to step it up and redeem themselves.
__________________
zalem is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 13:00   Link #129
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This episode was really not any good in term of execution and presentation, despite the events and points were sort of interesting in contrast with what has happened until now.
I respectfully, but completely disagree.


Quote:
My main gripe isn't how "Shu is now a jerk" but rather how he "became" one. I was already baffled how he declared himself to become a King last week, but the way how he changed his personality is anything but convincing.
I think that it's plenty convincing. It makes perfectly good sense for the loss of Hare to affect him to a massive degree, and to be a major catalyst in the personality changes that Shu has recently gone through. Hare is the one and only peer who was consistently nice to Shu, and considerate of him and his feelings. She's also someone he's been at least "friends" with for a long time now.


Quote:
Of course, he is doing some sort of "necessary" evil, except it isn't necessary:
At least some of it is necessary, for the points I recently brought up on this thread.


Quote:
the hierarchy among voids is, as explained by many people already, utterly pointless
That's overstating the argument. The way it's playing out is somewhat questionable, but some voids are unquestionably more useful than others. Inori's void is obviously more useful than just about all the rest.


Quote:
especially when circumstances have to be factored (to begin with, I still have my eyes rolling thinking that they have gladly been using the Genome Resonance Gauge until now without even question its origins and usefulness).
Presuming that it's working properly (i.e. it doesn't appear to be malfunctioning), why should they question it?


Quote:

But the whole thing about "cannot be equalitarian in such circumstances" is completely stupid:
No, it's not. Not at all.

I'm going to be frank here. Some people on this thread are being awfully idealistic, and this is coming from someone who has defended idealism a lot in the past and sees some worth in it.


Let's say you have 100 people. They all have different skills and abilities. Some are clearly smarter than others. Some are clearly stronger than others. Some are proven to be more useful than others, at least given the current situation.

You're stranded on a deserted island. You have a very scarce amount of resources available to you. On that deserted island is a lot of dangerous animals that can kill you. You absolutely need to keep your strongest people alive to fight them off, and it's good to keep your smartest people alive in order to try to outwit the animals (and also to organize things like shelter construction, create some semblance of rule of law, etc...)

You do not have enough resources available to you to keep all 100 people in good health and well-nourished. You want your key people to remain in good health and well-nourished (you obviously want your top animal-hunters to be in the best shape possible for fighting off animals).

What do you do?

Being strictly egalitarian in such extenuating circumstances is the wrong thing to do, at least at a pragmatic level. You wouldn't want to let anybody simply die, if it can be helped at all, but it would frankly be foolhardy to not show at least some degree of preferential treatment to your key people. It would of course be different if you could keep all 100 people in good health and well-nourished, but as is...


The scenario I outlined above is pretty similar to what Shu and friends are facing: Just replace "deserted island" with "quarantined Tokyo", "dangerous animals" with "GHQ", and "animal-hunters" with "fighters".


Quote:
I would understand if the whole "let's go together" had failed, but it was the whole ranking system which led to lil' void prince tragedy.
The ranking system didn't cause the tragedy of Hare's death. The root cause of Hare's death was an incredible lack of order and discipline. That lack resulted in people being able to go off and do whatever they wanted like Souta's F-rankers group did.


Quote:
But what's actually worse is the fact Shu was flipping like a weather vane, despite he was sort of progressing before Hare's death (I would actually expect a spike of angst, a progressive depression then, "perhaps" a vengeful, cold demeanor to some extent). I personally can't praise the writing: instead of depicting a character being honestly aggravated by the loss of a friend, he became a different character "for the hell of it", which was almost the case already with his sudden burst of confidence here and there.
Shu views Hare's death as being due to the lack of order and discipline that a hierarchy might provide, combined by F-rankers (led by Souta) screwing up royally. It's quite understandable that this would make Shu think "Yeah, Yahiro was right all along about the Void Ranking System".


Quote:
Aside of that, the whole totalitarian system doesn't make much sense whatsoever: my suspension of disbelief hit the bottom of the barrel as soon as I saw students bowing before Shu: yes, he is the key to their salvation, but he is no saint at all, especially in such state.
Keep in mind that the characters are Japanese. A slight bow of respect (particularly to one's superiors) is a notably larger part of the Japanese cultures than many others.


Quote:
Therefore, to be able to control people this way is not really convincing the way they did, even if you expect the thug idiots to ask Shu for their own void to seize control by force (speaking of which, I still want more "rules" about the whole power of king concept, since it becomes quite sketchy how long/far void owners can use them, as in time limit or/and how to disengage them because... well, we have a -boomerang- here, so huge problem no?).
But what's more even mind puzzling is how Shu is pretty much left alone without any escort whatsoever: true, he was with Inori, yet I would expect a personal force to keep him safe, any day of the week, while he is moving, having his personal stuff to do or sleeping, you name it. They should know that even the government know Shu's powers, therefore, there is nothing wrong to expect him to be the target of external enemies or even internal struggle due to obvious hatred for him. Hell, I can't believe he was facing Argo alone with just 1 fresh unit he himself asked her to follow him. If she wasn't there, he would be fishfood should Argo feel to stop shu's misery.
This was probably an oversight, yes, but then again, they aren't adults. It's understandable for there to be some holes and gaps in the system that they've put in place.

Plus, it could be a case that they need to have their top Offensive-style Void users go on raiding missions for more vaccines, thus leaving behind a skeleton force at the school HQ. In fact, Argo probably walked in on just such a raid mission near the very beginning of the episode.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-02-10 at 13:11.
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 13:25   Link #130
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think that it's plenty convincing. It makes perfectly good sense for the loss of Hare to affect him to a massive degree, and to be a major catalyst in the personality changes that Shu has recently gone through. Hare is the one and only peer who was consistently nice to Shu, and considerate of him and his feelings. She's also someone he's been at least "friends" with for a long time now.
Massive change doesn't mean it can be pulled in a random fashion.
You may think it was appropriately done, but I disagree in such matter: it was a flipping a switch. Shu changing to this extent is plausible, but the execution of it was pretty poor, especially the way how he is completely passive. A passive attitude wouldn't lead to such drastic change unless after several inner turmoil and resolve. However, he is extremely passive as he is following the flow suggested by Yahiro and the other goons.
That's the only way I see that: Hare's death hit him like a truck, but instead of going through different stages of bereaving, they catapulted to the last stage of it: emptiness/anger.
Quote:
That's overstating the argument. The way it's playing out is somewhat questionable, but some voids are unquestionably more useful than others. Inori's void is obviously more useful than pretty much all the rest.
Summarizing the usefulness and existence of someone based on a numerical value is really out of sketch. It is basically turning people into items and spec, instead of exact utility. No matter how high ranked a void may be, if the owner is no good, it doesn't mean anything (that A rank crossbow girl was nearly useless when Shu was being attacked... and she -is- supposed to be part of secret service despite she was enrolled recently? Just because she is A rank?).

Classifying people on a "numerical value" in such circumstance is a very poor judgment.
Quote:
Presuming that it's working properly (i.e. it doesn't appear to be malfunctioning), why should they question it?
Because they don't know -where- it comes from. I really can't believe people can be guillible enough to use such device while void themselves are no common knowledge. Only Gai and people deeply connected with GHQ research know about these. They found it next to the thugs who were given a endlave... I don't expect characters to realize that Segai or any GHQ people are trying some nasty moves here, but the whole deal with the gauge is non sense: that device -literally- came out of nowhere for them, from a very unlikely place.
To add the insult to the injury, they didn't have anything to confirm the actual reliability of the device, since they didn't design it: the fact Inori is over 2000 doesn't mean the device will give an appropriate value to Ayase, etc.

I would have no problem if Shu and friends found that at Gai's personal cache or raided a GHQ research facility without being a "look, it is a freebie, take it!" item. But here, the circumstances regarding the device are utterly fishy no matter how you look at it.
Quote:
The scenario I outlined above is pretty similar to what Shu and friends are facing: Just replace "deserted island" with "quarantined Tokyo" and "dangerous animals" with "GHQ".
The scenario however doesn't work as its origin are flawed basis.
I would have largely accepted if they evaluated voids -themselves- by putting them in category (attack, defense, support, etc), thus allowing them to appreciate correctly the usefulness of the void and thus having a proper hierarchy.
Numerical value doesn't mean jack if the circumstances and the metric value are not in favor to this scale. In a way, it is like comparing assault rifles and Bazooka on destructive powers without factoring ammunition, weight, space etc.

That's why "not equalitarian in such circumstances" doesn't work for me here. If it was in general, I would agree, but the circumstances are really something I can't give credits for.
Quote:
The ranking system didn't cause the tragedy of Hare's death. The root cause of Hare's death was an incredible lack of order and discipline. That lack resulted in people being able to go off and do whatever they wanted like Souta's F-rankers group did.
The ranking system was a huge catalyst to this problem: if it wasn't for this ranking plan, Souta and all wouldn't act like idiots and look for vaccine. Ultimately, Souta was the initiator of such silly sortie, however, the rank system was the very root of the drama and it was obvious it would lead to terrible dissention and frustrations among students considering they didn't have any prior discpline. Imposing such kind of ranking all of a sudden was obviously prone to leave a lot of discontent feelings left and right
Quote:
Shu views Hare's death as being due to the lack of order and discipline that a hierarchy might provide, combined by F-rankers (led by Souta) screwing up royally. It's quite understandable that this would make Shu think "Yeah, Yahiro was right all along about the Void Ranking System"
Except that Shu himself hardly even follow his own system, since he is basically treating favorably Argo and Ayase, no matter how he is ambivalent in general. The real problem is how Shu suddenly believe that discarding kindness and cooperation is the "best thing" despite the core issue lied elsewhere.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the characters are Japanese. A slight bow of respect (particularly to one's superiors) is a notably larger part of the Japanese cultures than many others.
As I explained, this is more than simple respect bow. It isn't a 45° bow, sure, but that's past a simple respect greeting, especially how they plainly stopped and open the way to Shu's group. This kind of deference is beyond "simple superior".

Quote:
This was probably an oversight, yes, but then again, they aren't adults. It's understandable for their to be some holes and gaps in the system that they've put in place.
But for some reason, despite this oversight, all of them know that they are screwed if Shu is no longer.
Knowing Yahiro, he probably endoctrined everyone to make Shu their king. Therefore, leaving the king in such defenseless fashion is beyond an oversight: plain stupidity or scripter oversight altogether.

The fact one of the thug sticking with Arisa should mean that someone higher ranked would be close to Shu (that guy is, "for some reason", part of Shu closest goons), since the later is a higher priority no matter how we look at it.
Hell, even these 2 girls from "secret service" would do the trick sort of, yet well... Shu was basically on his own, and the slightest mistake would be a terrible game over.
Klashikari is online now  
Old 2012-02-10, 13:57   Link #131
Runty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I am really hating how much of a manipulative prick Yahiro is turning out to be. $20 says Shu will eventually kill him for betrayal or something like that (I'd find the irony delicious if Shu killed Yahiro with his own Void).

Spoiler for Arisa:


Spoiler for WTF?!:
Runty is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 14:20   Link #132
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth...hopefully
By the way, I didn't mention this because I'm trying to like the series, but why is "void breaks and you die" a big deal? It's not like those things are fragile and you'd have better luck killing a person than breaking a void, so why keep it a big secret? It's just a simple precaution when using them.
__________________

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 14:40   Link #133
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Incidently why did her void remain so that it could be broken when we usually see voids disappear when they fall out of your hands?

Also the episode confirmed that either Shu or the person he's drawing the void out of needs to have some eye contact so how the hell did Shu pull that quick draw stunt two episodes back?
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 14:47   Link #134
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Massive change doesn't mean it can be pulled in a random fashion.
I don't think it was pulled in a random fashion. It was due to a specific event that quite believably would have a major, lasting impact on Shu.


Quote:
You may think it was appropriately done, but I disagree in such matter: it was a flipping a switch.
When people emotionally break down (as Shu clearly did in Episode 15), it can seem like a "flipping of a switch". Now, yes, typically there's a period of calm and recomposing oneself that should come later, when you start to get over the initial shock to your system.

But as you reflect on whatever the catalyst of the emotional breakdown is, major changes in attitude and personality can set in depending on what you determine to be the root cause(s) of your problems.

This is why I was glad for the time-skip. I can believe certain personality changes setting in for Shu during the time-skip.


Quote:
Shu changing to this extent is plausible, but the execution of it was pretty poor, especially the way how he is completely passive. A passive attitude wouldn't lead to such drastic change unless after several inner turmoil and resolve.
And Shu has in fact gone through a lot of inner turmoil throughout the anime's narrative, which is another reason why I disagree with you on this issue. I think that the overall execution of Shu's changes was at least adequate.


Quote:
However, he is extremely passive as he is following the flow suggested by Yahiro and the other goons.
Events have led Shu to believe that Yahiro's way is the best way (i.e. that Yahiro was right all along). So it makes sense that Shu would be at least somewhat deferential to Yahiro.


Quote:
That's the only way I see that: Hare's death hit him like a truck, but instead of going through different stages of bereaving, they catapulted to the last stage of it: emptiness/anger.
Given the extreme circumstances faced by Shu right now, it makes sense that he wouldn't spend a lot of time on "the different stages of bereaving".

People keep talking about these protagonists and their changes as though they're living normal everyday lives. They're not. They're in one of the worst situations imaginable. It's actually a bit surprising that more of them haven't broken down and panicked entirely.

Exceptionally desperate times create exceptionally desperate people and often desperate measures.


Quote:
Summarizing the usefulness and existence of someone based on a numerical value is really out of sketch.
I admit it is a bit of stretch, yeah. Unless the anime is aiming to have the students look foolish to go with numerical value assignment, then I agree that this part of the writing is sloppy.

My core point here was simply that some degree of prioritization amongst the voids (and hence, implicitly, amongst the students) makes sense given the circumstances.

For example, keeping Inori alive should be one of the highest priorities right after keeping Shu alive.

Really, that's how this thing should have broken down. Not with an intricate categorization system (though I can kind of see why they went for that), but with the recognition that a few key people need to be kept alive no matter what, and that some of them call the shots (i.e. you don't leave the school HQ without their go-ahead). After those key people, it would probably be best to have there be egalitarianism. People probably have an easier time being in a very broad 90% below the top 10% then being categorized in the bottom 10% with 90% placed above them.


Quote:
Because they don't know -where- it comes from. I really can't believe people can be guillible enough to use such device while void themselves are no common knowledge. Only Gai and people deeply connected with GHQ research know about these. They found it next to the thugs who were given a endlave... I don't expect characters to realize that Segai or any GHQ people are trying some nasty moves here, but the whole deal with the gauge is non sense: that device -literally- came out of nowhere for them, from a very unlikely place.
To add the insult to the injury, they didn't have anything to confirm the actual reliability of the device, since they didn't design it: the fact Inori is over 2000 doesn't mean the device will give an appropriate value to Ayase, etc.
I suppose you could say they jumped to conclusions. I'm not sure I'd put it any stronger than that, though.


Quote:
The ranking system was a huge catalyst to this problem: if it wasn't for this ranking plan, Souta and all wouldn't act like idiots and look for vaccine.
With the ranking system, it was unfortunately leaked. If the ranking system had a chance to be introduced with a certain finesse (political spin, basically ) then it might have went over better.

In any event, as you say, Souta ultimately must be held accountable for his silly sortie. I don't fault Shu at all there. To me, it makes sense that Shu would favor Yahiro's position over Souta's position after Souta played such an obvious role in getting Hare killed.

Is it perfectly logical of Shu? No. But I don't expect perfect logic from him, or from most fictional characters for that matter.


Quote:
Ultimately, Souta was the initiator of such silly sortie, however, the rank system was the very root of the drama and it was obvious it would lead to terrible dissention and frustrations among students considering they didn't have any prior discipline.
I'd like to think that simply going to a Japanese school teaches some level of discipline.


Quote:
Except that Shu himself hardly even follow his own system, since he is basically treating favorably Argo and Ayase, no matter how he is ambivalent in general.
Oh come now. You're basically attacking the man for being human. Even the best Systems-Oriented leaders are going to be tempted to look out for the people they're particularly fond of. Even some of the most brilliant political and military minds of history weren't above that sort of thing.


Quote:
The real problem is how Shu suddenly believe that discarding kindness and cooperation is the "best thing" despite the core issue lied elsewhere.
I think there's something you might be missing here.

In Shu's mind, Hare is the kindest person he ever knew.

And what happened to her, arguably due to her kindness? She got killed, that's what.

I don't agree with a man discarding "kindness" over that, but people have become very jaded over much less.


Quote:
As I explained, this is more than simple respect bow. It isn't a 45° bow, sure, but that's past a simple respect greeting, especially how they plainly stopped and open the way to Shu's group.
Yeah, if I had to guess, I'd say it's the sort of bow/gesture a Japanese Salaryman would give to the Head Honcho of the entire company.

And that's pretty much what Shu is relative to the other students - He's the Head Honcho of the entire organization.

It's not like they're outright worshiping him. They're just paying him the sort of respect that a Salaryman would be expected to pay his top superior (i.e. the Head Honcho of the company).


Quote:
But for some reason, despite this oversight, all of them know that they are screwed if Shu is no longer. Knowing Yahiro, he probably endoctrined everyone to make Shu their king. Therefore, leaving the king in such defenseless fashion is beyond an oversight: plain stupidity or scripter oversight altogether.
One impression I took from Episode 16 is that Yahiro is trying to craft a mystique around Shu. The "Void Prince" that not just anybody can see, and few truly know. So perhaps Yauhiro is intentionally leaving Shu alone a lot to add to that mystique.
__________________

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-02-10 at 15:06.
Triple_R is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 15:04   Link #135
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Things got real bad real fast.
Shu really changed... so cold and cruel.
Guess that was the only way for him to deal with the current situation.
Who knew using voids would have a serious defect..
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 15:41   Link #136
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Terrible writing. Hare's death in the episode before was so contrived and out of place (girlfriend in refrigerator syndrome....very badly done at that). And Shu's transformation is incredibly forced. I'll keep watching for amusement value, but the writer's really need to step it up and redeem themselves.
People know there's only 6 episodes left right? Like for all intents and purposes this is the home stretch, it's no longer a matter of stepping it up now, what they're left with is what they're unfortunately going to have to go with unless of course they just keep taking it in all kinds of random directions for the final 6 episodes and enforcing scenarios on top of the plot, which is probably more than likely what happens since that's how the show has been doing it from about episode 02.

I agree though, that's kind of been the best reason to continue watching it, seeing what completely random direction it'll take the characters and plot in next and how quickly it shifts direction yet again. I expect the scenario to shift gears, the characters to switch sides, personalities and philosophies, and the plot to switch focus completely at least a couple more times before all is said and done.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 16:02   Link #137
Evil_Sephiroth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lavagna (GE)
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Shu's mother say that Shu can't forgive them for what they are doing.

Then i can think that "new" Gai is a sort of controlled zombie, that suddently attack Shu....and probably Shu was forced to kill his old friend (Triton).

Another walk down to the insanity for Shu.


@Shu (XD) If you want to pick a fight with a trained Soldier.....use Inori's Void XD
__________________
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
Evil_Sephiroth is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 16:16   Link #138
miketyson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Slight disagreement on Shuu's psychology (or at least what the writers are likely thinking, if not quite executing with their writing). Shuu reads to me as having been, at core, afraid of actually being disliked by other people -- and too lame to dream of being widely-liked, it seems -- which is why he was an asocial loner at the start: it let him stay in a kind of limbo, neither widely liked nor widely disliked.

Hare's death traumatized Shuu, but more importantly it made him aware that his dream of not being hated was dead, dead, dead: he's the leader in a crap situation and he's almost certainly going to be disliked no matter what he does. Go easy on everyone? Things will turn out badly and he'll be hated. Go hard on everyone? They'll hate him too, even if he does lead some of them safely out of Tokyo. So he's adopted a fatalistic "everyone will hate me no matter what I do" attitude, which is why he's so blasé and largely lets Yahiro run things.

If the writers were a bit more on top of it they'd tie their own threads together more consistently, but I'm pretty sure that's the picture of Shuu the writers are trying (unsuccessfully) to paint. FWIW if you think back to the funeral parlor days Shuu's recurring issue with Gai and the rest of the parlor was pretty much always about the love and respect the funeral parlor staffers had for Gai, despite how much of a manipulative jerk he was. I don't think Shuu was ever explicitly jealous of anything else about Gai (except maybe closeness with Inori); I don't recall any any of Gai's looks, style, planning abilities, fighting skills, manly swagger, etc....just what Shuu saw as an inexplicable popularity.

That said, like I mentioned earlier I think the story would've gone better if Shuu'd been portrayed as a popular, well-liked guy on campus (or at worst a Yagami Light "everyone likes and respects me, I'm just too busy to socialize much"). His relationships with his "friends" like Souta are things we've seen built up over the course of the series and still seem quite shallow, which deflates the dramatic effectiveness of moves like Shuu's letting Souta figure out his own escape. But, in particular, if the writers knew they were going to go all lord of the flies eventually, a Shuu who started out as a popular guy would make the way school life's turned out easier to swallow; as-is the void regime is just a bridge too far for suspension of disbelief (the idea is ok, the speed and thoroughness of its implementation not so much), but if Shuu was already "that guy" it's a lot easier to make it work.

And as a nit: I think they would've added a lot of verisimilitude if they'd shown the on-campus living arrangements in more detail. Not sure if there's some taboo here about this, but some kind of dormitory set-up with different densities for different ranks (S-class: 2-to-a-room?, F-rank, rooftop tent city? A-rank, 8-man dorms?) would add a lot of color and take not too long to work into an episode.
miketyson is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 16:18   Link #139
Qpax
黒猫のタンゴ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 幻想郷
Age: 26
Inori should be renamed Instant Plot-Device, because she seems to just do whatever the hell the plot calls for her to do. She apparently is now Shu’s C.C. (though she obviously isn’t as cool) and is going to do whatever she can to help him with his plan of world domination or whatever. Also can someone explain to me what’s the deal with the Schuhrer’s mom? Or any of the character?! Their interactions and motifs just don’t make any kind of sense… And suddenly GAI O SENGEN:
__________________

Last edited by Qpax; 2012-02-10 at 16:50.
Qpax is offline  
Old 2012-02-10, 17:37   Link #140
Manic
real men love pink
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio
yeah the shows been on a steady decline since ep 12. Characters how no rhyme or reason, its just all chaos. Inori is like slowly changing into yandere mana.

and now with a resurrected gai, its like really.....

Well only 6 eps left hopefully they can get this back to being decent
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic91584_3.gif
Manic is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.