AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-05, 04:36   Link #1
Bonta
I am u and u r not me

Does the manga continues after...

the points where ep 51 is finshed?
Old 2004-10-05, 05:11   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

the manga and anime story goes in total different directions since around anime episode 27, so no the manga's current story development has nothing to do with the later part of the anime.
Old 2004-10-05, 06:25   Link #3
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Facts:
1) The manga is the original source and is still running.
2) The anime adapted only a part of the manga ( up to episode 25 can be considered mostly manga idea ), the rest of the anime is mostly their ideas to do a standard run-out-of-the-mill shounen show in 51 episodes + a movie.
3) The mangaka, Hiromu Arakawa had announced a 7-year run for the manga at a previous convention, meaning the manga ends in the year 2008.
4) In an interview with Yahoo, she already stated she had her own conclusion in mind when they started off drawing the manga. Judging how the anime has deviated away from the original source as well as Arakawa's chronicles of the events leading to the animisation of her works, the anime ending is not likely to be of resemblance to Arakawa-sensei's conclusion.

From Yahoo's special on Fullmetal Alchemist, a chrnology of FMA,

2001年 7月 「鋼の錬金術師」が「月刊少年ガンガン」に連載開始。
2003年 10月 テレビアニメ「鋼の錬金術師」スタート。
2004年 1月 第49回小学館漫画賞受賞。
2005年 夏 映画公開予定。

2001 Jul - Fullmetal Alchemist manga starts its serialisation run in Shounen Gangan.
2003 Oct - The TV Anime adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist starts.
2004 Jan - The manga receives an award at the 49th Manga Publisher Awards.
2005 Summer - The announced date for the movie.
Old 2004-10-05, 19:23   Link #4
Joe Dalton

Im curious is the manga as good as the anime?
don't come with OF COURSE CAUSE IT"S MANGA AND THATS WHAT THE ANIME IS BASED ON!!!
But I think i'll start reading the manga for this since... I NEED MORE!!!
Old 2004-10-05, 19:40   Link #5
Gatts
天才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
don't come with OF COURSE CAUSE IT"S MANGA AND THATS WHAT THE ANIME IS BASED ON!!!
Yes, the manga is excellent, and in my personal opinion a lot better than the anime (note, I do also like the animation version...). The characters and plot are very different from eachother. The latest chapters have been especially good with a lot of deep plot/character developements with Roy/Havoc/Riza/Barry()/Al. There are also a few really awesome manga-only characters that are just a riot. Al is also way more awesome in the manga

It's really worth it to give the manga version a read, Arakawa-sensei is a goddess

mygodican'twaituntilchapter40~~~
Old 2004-10-05, 20:23   Link #6
GryphonZ

Quote:

Actually, Manga is better than anime in story IMO .
Old 2004-10-05, 20:41   Link #7
WristBandMan

yeah, i'm very please that Roy's subordinate actually fights in the manga -- especially pleased with Havoc~~~

well, Breda doesn't ... haha... eating subs only (chap 38 cover)
Old 2004-10-06, 01:38   Link #8
Rizzler
Banned

manga?

to the manga contonue after the anime?
Old 2004-10-06, 01:56   Link #9
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzler
to the manga contonue after the anime?
no
manga is taking a complete different route from the anime.
only some of the characters and the beginning of the story are similar between the two.
The manga is a deeper and more elaborated story including more events than the anime.
More fight scenes, and Al isnt a pussy like in the anime.
Old 2004-10-06, 06:29   Link #10
GryphonZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunterex
no
manga is taking a complete different route from the anime.
only some of the characters and the beginning of the story are similar between the two.
The manga is a deeper and more elaborated story including more events than the anime.
More fight scenes, and Al isnt a pussy like in the anime.

That what I thinking about too
Old 2004-10-06, 08:36   Link #11
Joe Dalton

ugh... Manga and anime have become books and movies.
It's stupid to the point that it's just plain funny.
Old 2004-10-06, 22:12   Link #12
KeishoumoriDei
Big Blue Thing With Mops

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth
Hmm.. I personally think that mangas usually are better than animes, because they have more room/time to work with. If FMA went on a hundred episode plan like Naruto, they might have been able to follow the manga, but 50 eps really isn't enough to write out a book. But the anime does have it's good points too.... what with animation and sound and all..
Old 2004-10-06, 22:22   Link #13
Chara
Digidestined

Quote:
ugh... Manga and anime have become books and movies.
It's stupid to the point that it's just plain funny.
:/ To the Japanese I don't think there is much diffrence. 40% of all books published there are indeed manga. I think its just a diffrent society and culture.

I don't see anything odd with manga becoming a novel and anime becoming a movie. Wasn't the first anime a movie?
Old 2004-10-06, 23:35   Link #14
Silent Otaku

Does the whole Rose pregnacny happen in the manga or was it just done in the anime to provoke emotion?
Old 2004-10-06, 23:53   Link #15
Gatts
天才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Otaku
Does the whole Rose pregnacny happen in the manga or was it just done in the anime to provoke emotion?
We haven't seen Rose since the first few chapters in the manga. That was anime only.
Old 2004-10-07, 08:33   Link #16
Joe Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chara
:/ To the Japanese I don't think there is much diffrence. 40% of all books published there are indeed manga. I think its just a diffrent society and culture.

I don't see anything odd with manga becoming a novel and anime becoming a movie. Wasn't the first anime a movie?
Lol let me explain...
Stupid people... and they are many. Think they sound smart when they say a book is better then a movie.
The same is true with manga and anime now.
Thats what I actualy ment with what I said.

Anyway I am happy the anime didn't stretch out...
Note:
DBZ
HxH
Naruto
One Piece

And many more... all enjoyable? Yes. Any of them come close to FMA? No.
Why? Becauce no character remains interesting for over 100 episodes. They evolve but it's never as involving as when you keep it short.
The FMA characters all evolved greatly in only 51 episodes and were still interesting. Thats why I don't think it's a good thing they will stretch the manga for so many more years.
Old 2004-10-07, 23:51   Link #17
rainz
original vampire

Quote:
Lol let me explain...
Stupid people... and they are many. Think they sound smart when they say a book is better then a movie.
The same is true with manga and anime now.
Thats what I actualy ment with what I said.

Anyway I am happy the anime didn't stretch out...
Note:
DBZ
HxH
Naruto
One Piece

And many more... all enjoyable? Yes. Any of them come close to FMA? No.
Why? Becauce no character remains interesting for over 100 episodes. They evolve but it's never as involving as when you keep it short.
The FMA characters all evolved greatly in only 51 episodes and were still interesting. Thats why I don't think it's a good thing they will stretch the manga for so many more years.
The timespan involved when reading a manga is really different from the one you used when watching an anime. For instance, you could probably read 51 volumes of the manga in the same time you used to watch 51 episodes of FMA. By your own argument, since the reading time is shorter, the manga should be more involving?

There's also a difference between 'stretching' something, and 'progessing' something. Stretching is used when you run out of ideas and try to make something up to cover the time. I don't see that happens anytime soon with FMA manga, especially when the author already has a clear idea of where to end the manga.

You might be correct in that books and movies as a medium shouldn't really be compared. However, comparing an anime adaptation to the original manga version seems like perfectly logical thinking to me. I can't see what's stupid about that?
Closed Thread