AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 166 75.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 10.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 4.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.36%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.36%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.91%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.73%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-26, 04:31   Link #141
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
It should have been clear before the 23rd episode of Monogatari, that the second half of episode 12 was the exception and the series is not about the cheesy romantic relation of two teenagers, there are too many shows doing that with various degrees of ecchi to accommodate everyone's tastes.

EDIT: The dental care scene was so absurd and magnificently executed, that is bound to be enjoyable for anyone watching it unbiased. The first arc on the other hand developed the relationships and characters... so of course every other episode was better, but the last one was more enjoyable.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-02-26 at 04:38. Reason: unecessary tidbit removed.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:37   Link #142
zato_1one
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And from than on it's spoiler territory... but it's consensus that this is the worst novel of the series and for the most part Kizu is the best, so it can only get better from this point on for people watching it as you are.
Agreed. Well, to tell the truth, I never like Nisemonogatari when I read novel spoiler. But I gotta admit that I have many good laughs while watching it. It's still qualified as comedy series. And it's really good at that. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial13 View Post
Seeing so many 10/10 [...] is this the point of this series ? ... if so i should get out now... why not just watch / make hentai / porn
No. It's not the same and that's why many people like it.
__________________

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-02-26 at 04:42. Reason: quote to edit.
zato_1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:39   Link #143
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I think that Nise is under heavy pressure as Nise preceed the legendary Bake...
So i guess it has a high standard.

Well, i enjoy Bake for the interaction of its characters, not for the storyline.
As far as episode 8, i still enjoy Nise. But i do admit, Nise is not as good as Bake.


As for Shinbo, he do a perfect job on both Bake and Nise.
I doubt that other director can direct that tooth brush scene as creative as Shinbo~san.


@Malkuth
Wow your ava is on the borderline...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:40   Link #144
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It should have been clear before the 23rd episode of Monogatari, that the second half of episode 12 was the exception and the series is not about the cheesy romantic relation of two teenagers, there are too many shows doing that with various degrees of ecchi to accommodate everyone's tastes.
That argument is completely flawed: the fact the monogatari series isn't a conventional romance story doesn't mean it can suddenly indulge into a completely whacky erotic scene, however "subtle" it may be or not.
That's like accepting shows to have DEM and random plot twist, because they don't follow the norm: that's irrelevant.
Quote:
EDIT: The dental care scene was so absurd and magnificently executed, that is bound to be enjoyable for anyone watching it unbiased. The first arc on the other hand developed the relationships and characters... so of course every other episode was better, but the last one was more enjoyable.
That's a very bold assertion, considering the topic and themes that are core of this scene are nowhere close to be universally enjoyable at all.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:45   Link #145
Triple_R
"...Why?!", Sailor Faerie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
It should have been clear before the 23rd episode of Monogatari, that the second half of episode 12 was the exception and the series is not about the cheesy romantic relation of two teenagers,
You don't consider this episode cheesy? This episode even had a Looney Tunes bit for crying out loud.

This episode also had some of the cheesiest BGM and character interactions I've ever heard/seen. This episode makes Aquarion EVOL look like Shakespearean drama by comparison.

I don't hate this episode, but good grief, this is hardly the revolutionary anime episode some are making it out to be.


Quote:
EDIT: The dental care scene was so absurd and magnificently executed, that is bound to be enjoyable for anyone watching it unbiased.
No, that's not right. People have legitimate taste differences. You can be unbiased, and still not find that scene enjoyable. Let's be fair here.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:47   Link #146
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
I think that Nise is under heavy pressure as Nise preceed the legendary Bake...
So i guess it has a high standard.

Well, i enjoy Bake for the interaction of its characters, not for the storyline.
As far as episode 8, i still enjoy Nise. But i do admit, Nise is not as good as Bake.
Nisemonogatari covers like 2 stories over 1 cour, don't tell me people didn't think that some parts were going to get dragged out?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:48   Link #147
Eak
One angry cloud.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Setting aside the intense toothbrush scene, those colored manga stills in the beginning were fantastic. Were they created by Shaft or are they from somewhere?
Eak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:50   Link #148
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
This episode is, word for word, following the novel. I guess the question is if the audience is allowed to demand that entire chapters be removed for animation because they don't think it is good enough for them.

They are both fully clothed. All they did was tooth-brushing. They are siblings who are a little too close for comfort. That's this episode. The fact that this episode was arousing to the audience is just incidental.

I simply can't find a reason for Shaft to NOT animate this episode. What's the reason not to? Morality? Nothing illegal happened!


Serious question: For those who voted 1/10, would you petition to have this episode removed from the DVD release? Are you so offended by what you saw that you wish it was never animated? Do you think less of the author for creating the very chapter of this novel?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:50   Link #149
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Nisemonogatari covers like 2 stories over 1 cour, don't tell me people didn't think that some parts were going to get dragged out?
Does that excuse it in the end even if there reasons to suspect so?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This episode is, word for word, following the novel. I guess the question is if the audience is allowed to demand that entire chapters be removed for animation because they don't think it is good enough for them.

They are both fully clothed. All they did was tooth-brushing. They are siblings who are a little too close for comfort. That's this episode. The fact that this episode was arousing to the audience is just incidental.

I simply can't find a reason for Shaft to NOT animate this episode. What's the reason not to? Morality? Nothing illegal happened!
As far as I know most adaptions don't cover every paragraph of material there is. They don't have time for that and if they do that it usually leads to horrid pacing. This is not a book, this is an anime.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:52   Link #150
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Nisemonogatari covers like 2 stories over 1 cour, don't tell me people didn't think that some parts were going to get dragged out?
Except that people who didn't read the LN or check spoilers/arc titles aren't supposed to know there are only 2 arcs for Nisemonogatari.
And frankly, while Bake was at times draggy, it could keep a certain focus, which is not something you can say for Nise.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:53   Link #151
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Does that excuse it in the end even if there reasons to suspect so?
What would you have them do? Pull material out of thin air and to rewrite the original script?

Because that totally would sit so well with fans of the original.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:55   Link #152
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
You know, the other Monogatari ep that had so many 10s was episode 12 of Bakemonogatari, but that on the other hand was "legit good" - Senjougahara x Araragi romance development with a perfectly timed ED song. This? This was just incest otaku pandering to the max. Revolutionary fan-service my ass. I'm sorry but I was not sexually aroused or "Hnnnnnging" as some people like to call it over a bloody toothbrush scene.

That wasn't the only problem with the episode. Araragi rubbing his foot on his sister's head whilst she was begging him to take her virginity (I swear this is what I read from the subs). Yea... no wonder some people in the west think anime is very sexist. Not to mention the fact this episode had no purpose as it didn't develop character and the only worthwhile thing we got was that Araragi agreed to introduce Kanbaru to his sister at the very end of the ep.

I thought the Nadeko ep early on (episode 2?) was bad, but this one takes the "worst episode of Monogatari series" so far.

1/10.

Note: If Medaka Box is anything like the hit or miss Nisemonogatari has been so far, I'm kinda scared...
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:56   Link #153
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Except that people who didn't read the LN or check spoilers/arc titles aren't supposed to know there are only 2 arcs for Nisemonogatari.
You mean to tell me people do zero research into the shows they're watching and just hope for the best?

All I did was to read the synopsis on RandomC and I could figure out there's only 2 stories.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:57   Link #154
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
This episode is, word for word, following the novel. I guess the question is if the audience is allowed to demand that entire chapters be removed for animation because they don't think it is good enough for them.
*Shrugs* They can sell it however they want.

Quote:
They are both fully clothed. All they did was tooth-brushing. They are siblings who are a little too close for comfort. That's this episode. The fact that this episode was arousing to the audience is just incidental.

I simply can't find a reason for Shaft to NOT animate this episode. What's the reason not to? Morality? Nothing illegal happened!
Assumes people didn't like it because it offenders their moral sensibilities. I'm sure some people did, but that's hardly the only reason.

Quote:
Serious question: For those who voted 1/10, would you petition to have this episode removed from the DVD release? Are you so offended by what you saw that you wish it was never animated? Do you think less of the author for creating the very chapter of this novel?
I didn't vote it 1/10 but close enough, but I wouldn't miss it. If they include it for completionism, that's fine with me.

I don't think less of the author for making this chapter, but I also don't give him credit for the chapter.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:57   Link #155
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
It will be an endless discussion...
At several adaptation, fans are crying because the adaptation didnt stay true to the novel or there are some scene deleted from adaptation...

Now, SHAFT trying to stay true to the novel, and some fans are also crying...

Well?? It is up to ourselves to give a rating to the episode...
Not everyone will like this episode, but that doesnt mean not everyone will dislike this episode...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 04:59   Link #156
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That argument is completely flawed: the fact the monogatari series isn't a conventional romance story doesn't mean it can suddenly indulge into a completely whacky erotic scene, however "subtle" it may be or not. That's like accepting shows to have DEM and random plot twist, because they don't follow the norm: that's irrelevant.
You are forgetting Hitagi dressing in front of Koyomi, showing him her underwear after beaten by Suruga, Tsubasa on Koyomi's bike, and don't even want to spoil the amount of completely whacky erotic scenes the author wrote. The fact is that these scenes progress character and plot more than sugar-coated star-gazing that attracted a now very disappointed audience.

As for being random or even a plot twist... you are forgetting that the novel strongly assumes Koyomi's point of view, meaning he is surprised (therefore the writer/director presents the event as random/unexpected) but nonetheless makes all the sense in the world considering the personalities of the characters involved.

This plot structure is what makes me appreciate this series a lot more than other ecchi (not fanservice) shows, like some hentai eroticism is an integral part of the plot and not a medium to boost sales. This episodes just celebrates this features, for better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That's a very bold assertion, considering the topic and themes that are core of this scene are nowhere close to be universally enjoyable at all.
The difficulty of anything being universally enjoyable aside, I don't think it's even the objective of neither the writer nor the director. Monogatari is not targeting the masses like other long-running anime, yet it is easier to watch when a fan does not expect to be served his favoured elements and troupes non-stop.

EDIT: Oh! and sorry for the sarcastic tidbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You don't consider this episode cheesy? This episode even had a Looney Tunes bit for crying out loud.

This episode also had some of the cheesiest BGM and character interactions I've ever heard/seen. This episode makes Aquarion EVOL look like Shakespearean drama by comparison.

I don't hate this episode, but good grief, this is hardly the revolutionary anime episode some are making it out to be.
The direction of those 4 minutes of tooth-brushing is purposefully cheesy, burned the animation budget, and had the most weird BGM, BUT that was the objective to begin with... and you know what, when 80% gives it a 10/10, it's obviously enjoyable to the majority of the viewers, whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, that's not right. People have legitimate taste differences. You can be unbiased, and still not find that scene enjoyable. Let's be fair here.
And that was my point, some expect to watch a different show, and that is obviously not happening, however much the type on-line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Nisemonogatari covers like 2 stories over 1 cour, don't tell me people didn't think that some parts were going to get dragged out?
That's misleading, Nise- has the same page count as Bake-

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-02-26 at 05:10.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:00   Link #157
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Belgium, Brussels
Age: 28
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You mean to tell me people do zero research into the shows they're watching and just hope for the best?

All I did was to read the synopsis on RandomC and I could figure out there's only 2 stories.
Since when you are supposed to make research on series you watch, especially -sequels-?
I can understand that you may have your expectations betrayed if you check a series blindly without any knowledge. However, it is a sequel with an established writing, so there is really no reason to make "research" whatsoever when you already know it is a proper sequel.

Also, there is no way to tell if the stories themselves -are- eventful or not, unless you are spoiled. Therefore, 2 stories adapted into 11 episodes doesn't automatically mean it -will- be dragged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
You are forgetting Hitagi dressing in front of Koyomi, showing him her underwear after beaten by Suruga, Tsubasa on Koyomi's bike, and don't even want to spoil the amount of completely whacky erotic scenes the author wrote. The fact is that these scenes progress character and plot more than sugar-coated star-gazing that attracted a now very disappointed audience.
There is a flat out difference here: the prior scenes are vastly shorter than this one, and were basically "quirks" to speak of.
And I really can't call this episode any relevant to character progress whatsoever: it started from a casual premise (as in, Karen hell bent to meet Suruga), but literally sidetracked into a random pandering theme.
I wouldn't have that much problem if it was a much shorter scene, but this is a huge shoehorned fanservice scene taking a full episode, with little relevancy to the current plot.
Quote:
The difficulty of anything being universally enjoyable aside, I don't think it's even the objective of neither the writer nor the director. Monogatari is not targeting the masses like other long-running anime, yet it is easier to watch when a fan does not expect to be served his favoured elements and troupes non-stop.
I won't disagree with that, but it is the very reason why I disagree with your initial comment, insisting it should be enjoyed if unbiased, which is not a statement that can be applied considering what we were presented here.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:00   Link #158
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
What would you have them do? Pull material out of thin air and to rewrite the original script?

Because that totally would sit so well with fans of the original.
I don't know how to get around it, I'm not the director, but here's the thing... Why excuse the source material it's being adapted from? If the material was suspect the anime will also be suspect. Shinbo just amplified it beyond belief and dragged on a scene in a series that already has been having pacing issues. Instead of mitigating it, he blew it up on the biggest canvas he could find.

I'm aware others disagree though, and that's all apart of watching entertainment. If I had my way, several others would have been unhappy, yet I know at the very least I wouldn't be sad to see it go. That's all I can comment on.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:00   Link #159
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
It will be an endless discussion...
At several adaptation, fans are crying because the adaptation didnt stay true to the novel or there are some scene deleted from adaptation...

Now, SHAFT trying to stay true to the novel, and some fans are also crying...

Well?? It is up to ourselves to give a rating to the episode...
Not everyone will like this episode, but that doesnt mean not everyone will dislike this episode...
Regardless of whoever is to blame be it Shinbo for keeping the toothbrush scene in and SHAFTIFYING it or NisioIsin for trashy pointless writing, it was a terrible episode to me. Pointing fingers at who the blame isn't the issue here, it's the fact that this exists.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-26, 05:07   Link #160
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Since when you are supposed to make research on series you watch, especially -sequels-?
I can understand that you may have your expectations betrayed if you check a series blindly without any knowledge. However, it is a sequel with an established writing, so there is really no reason to make "research" whatsoever when you already know it is a proper sequel.
There's always a reason to do research, especially if it's a show you have vested interest in. And I'm not talking about a full blown intelligence gathering, just the basic to lay down the ground work.

Bah nevermind, this isn't something I want to burn time and reputation points into arguing, consider this topic dropped on my end.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.