AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-26, 06:30   Link #1561
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What you just said reminded me of this scene which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter
Lol I remember that scene too.

In that case slice of life/drama generally won't score very high on the "Importance" scale then .

Oh wait...
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 06:46   Link #1562
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Azumanga Daioh did that 3-4 years before Lucky star did. And before that there was most likely something else.
That's why I talked about reawakening. For a while after Lucky Star ended, every season saw attempts to jump on that same gravy train. (I remember Kei-On, Hyakko, and A-channel, but I'm fairly sure there were others.)

Do you think in fall or winter, there'll be anime about... Well, there's another problem: Tari Tari doesn't really have anything that really characterizes it beyond "slice of life in a school setting". Even if someone wanted to jump on its coattails and do something similar, what would they do?

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2012-09-26 at 12:36.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 07:45   Link #1563
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
regarding the OST,
I found 'going my way' is funny

the first one with Konatsu "EHH?!"
and the second one with Konatsu "YAH!!!"

hahaha....
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 08:11   Link #1564
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, there's another problem: Tari Tari doesn't really have anything that really characterize it beyond "slice of life in a school setting". Even if someone wanted to jump on its coattails and do something similar, what would they do?
The fact that it's nothing more than "slice of life in a school setting" is what characterizes it.

"slice of life in a school setting" sounds like it's a very common thing,and in a way it is,however pure "slice of life in a school setting" isn't,shows normally try to appeal by adding something else,be it fantasy,sci fi,romance,mystery,moeblobs or a big focus on comedy etc. (or some combination of all those) and if they don't then the setting tends to not be a highschool.

Tari tari didn't,sure there's a hint of romance and comedy but nothing more than that.Not saying it's the first or anything but "slice of life in a school setting" with nothing else added isn't common so that's what we can look out for in the future.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 09:06   Link #1565
Qikz
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Age: 24
What a great ending, although I was a bit confused at the very end scene, was it supposed to portray that in a way Sakai became like her mother and it was almost as if it was her mother coming home?
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 10:14   Link #1566
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What you just said reminded me of this scene which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter
You Sr. have won the internet.

Now, personally I think Tari Tari does bring something new to the table when it comes to the slice of life genre, and that is realism on the characterization department. I think some people out there don't realize how different these characters are to your usual anime character, but to me these characters feel a bit more like live-action than anime, a bit more like, you know, people.

This is something new, specially for this genre which, ironically considering its name, usually display the most stereotypical anime characters out there. I really hope more writers and directors involved with this genre will get influenced by Tari Tari and start to write more true to life characters instead of the usual (and safe) thing. Tari Tari is doing around 9k on sales, which proves you can make a winner with this kind of cast too, that you don't need to try appeal to every anime fetish to succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I was a bit confused at the very end scene, was it supposed to portray that in a way Sakai became like her mother and it was almost as if it was her mother coming home?
Yes, something like that. Besides, Wakana was the central character and the series began with a scene of her, so it had to end with her too.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-09-26 at 11:30.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 11:21   Link #1567
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's a popular thing to say that "Tari Tari is well-executed at what it does, but I don't think it will be remembered" atm. Imo, I call bollocks on that. In terms of slice of life/drama TV series (not including movies, I consider them a different medium altogether really partly due to budget differences), I can think of two that were of comparable quality in recent times and that was Hyouka that also recently ended and Usagi Drop of last year.

Everything else despite "ambition" as many people seem to look for in series, either fell on its face on more than one occasion, had some supernatural gimmick or two, artificial melodrama and/or pacing problems. Personally, "ambition" or "plot" is not a trait I look for in slice of life/drama (that's more so in fantasy, sci-fi or intended "epic" series) but rather how relatable it is. Subtleness, Genuinity, Understatement, Sentiment and how much heart it has in general are all virtues I look for. Tari Tari had ton of this, albeit it wasn't absolutely perfect - it was very close.

Plot devices for drama, excessive "moeblobs", exaggerated melodrama, Obnoxiousness, pretending to be something when it isn't and generally trying too hard to evoke an reaction are elements that put me off. Don't think I need to repeat myself on examples

EDIT: Forgot Wandering Son. My bad.
Hah, for whatever reason I somehow view a lot of ambition as just merely gimmicks. The other thing is the future is hard to predict, so it's really hard to say what gets remembered, though I guess this is never going to be a show that's going to be placed on a "must see" list for first timer anime viewers.

Personally, I'm going to remember this, simply because it hails from a genre that frequently puts me to sleep. In fact, you might have remembered my initial jokes of it being generic, a hanairo clone, and PA not being able to pace an anime to save their lives. But apparently they managed to defy all of that fairly soundly. So it must have done something especially special. It also helped that there were a lot of meta going on for me, and this show seemed to put together a lot of the strengths I've seen from PA (mostly from True Tears but also from Hanairo and Angel Beats).

Still, the simplicity remains a double edge sword, and it certainly the plot could have helped the drama a bit more.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 12:22   Link #1568
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Just FTR, I don't consider Tari Tari in any way analogous to Usagi Drop or Wandering Son - and only tangentially to Hyouka. I have compared TT to Hyouka of course, and Kokoro Connect, but largely because they're school settings airing simultaneously and it makes for interesting consideration. I think the difference in ambition and complexity between TT and Hyouka becomes apparent as you go deeper into both series, especially Hyouka. It's filet mignon vs. a good hamburger.

As for Usagi Drop and Wandering Son, I've seen both categorized as "slice of life" - without a doubt the most incorrectly overused term in anime - and I don't think it applies to either. Hourou Musuko and Usagi Drop are both intense character dramas, both (especially Hourou Musuko) also examining deeper societal issues. The fact that they don't have giant robots or mahou shoujou doesn't make them slice of life - they just happen to be realistic settings.

I like Tari Tari, and I don't see asserting that it's relatively unambitious as a slander. If I don't think it's going to be especially memorable it's because, to me, it didn't really try to do anything that hasn't been done many times before. It does those things well for the most part, but they've all been done better. There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping things simple and executing them well, and that's what I think Tari Tari did - and I applaud it for resisting the impulse to spice things up with overt romance or excessive melodrama. I consider it a success - I just don't consider it historically important.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-09-26 at 12:58.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 12:49   Link #1569
Aqua Knight
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 21
I keep listening to Ganba Rangers song , the part when Tanaka joins Wien is just too awesome - his VA has such a great voice. Also in last episode in Sawa x Tanaka scene his voice is just so sweet

I think TT is a bit underrated tbh. Yes, there's nothing very remembering about the series like Guren Lagan, but the overall impressions from TT is worth 9/10.

I think it was near perfect slice of life/song genre. Maybe a bit more romantic development b/w Sawa and Tanaka could be good, but the script writers did even a better thing - leave Tanaka's speech to your imagination.

Also I wished they showed more of everyone's future, maybe in a movie

Now I understand that Tanaka is really great character, but he kinda lacked development together with Wien. And I also think that if TT was all-female cast it wouldn't be as great, not by much but still.

PS
Sorry for my fanboyism about Tanaka.
__________________
I can’t sleep tonight…fish girl, sing me a song!
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 13:02   Link #1570
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
And I also think that if TT was all-female cast it wouldn't be as great, not by much but still.
If it was an all-female cast I'd probably hate the series. Anyway, I just loved how awkward it was for the guys to be around a bunch of girls like this, specially for Taichi who was the most serious of the two. I also loved how the girls kept teasing Taichi till the very end. The poor guy can't catch a break.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 13:48   Link #1571
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As for Usagi Drop and Wandering Son, I've seen both categorized as "slice of life" - without a doubt the most incorrectly overused term in anime - and I don't think it applies to either. Hourou Musuko and Usagi Drop are both intense character dramas, both (especially Hourou Musuko) also examining deeper societal issues. The fact that they don't have giant robots or mahou shoujou doesn't make them slice of life - they just happen to be realistic settings.
I totally agree with this, but to support this I just wanted to add that Tari Tari is also not a "slice of life" show either -- it's a drama. It has an on-going linear plot that centers around the conflicts faced by the characters, and develops towards a conclusion and a denouement. That's a drama. If we want to be more specific, we could call this a "coming-of-age drama" since the plot revolves around the transition from adolescence into adulthood. I think people call this a "slice of life" show only because they think it centers around a small cast of characters going about their high school lives, but as you say it's not the setting that determines the genre. I generally agree that this is one of the most incorrectly-used and overused term in anime fandom today (though I think "moe" gives it a run for its money, along with possibly terms like "tsundere" ).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 13:56   Link #1572
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
The thing I found funny about Tari Tari overall is that it isn't just conventional in an anime sense, but in a cross-medium conventional way. You could find this same sort of conventional storytelling in any type of book or live action show in the west, and in that sense it's a bit different from your regular otaku geared shows.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 15:02   Link #1573
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Well, I don't know much about slice of life anime, but I'd agree that Tari Tari is surely a coming-of-age series, if Tari Tari si not, it I don't know what series could be.
Anyways, FWIW, carrying on with the gastronomy analogies, to me Hyouka is more like molecular gastronomy, Tari Tari more like your mum gastronomy.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 15:03   Link #1574
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Spoiler for space:


Overall: A solid 7/10

Now, I'm off to ignore this thread like the plague again.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:30   Link #1575
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Am I the only one who's annoyed there's no normal full version of Konatsu singing 'going my way!!'?
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:44   Link #1576
Sphire
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Age: 29
Two Things:

The call for a movie over a second season, to be honest, while I would still watch it, I feel it'll lack any semblance of what made Tari Tari really good. A comparison was made to the K-On!! movie, but K-On!! can get away with it because the main show was superficial in the first place. No one watched it for some great character development or drama, so a simple movie was fine (and fun).

But Tari Tari? That'll be like watching a Transformers movie without any action sequences or a 'World In Danger Plot'. Granted, that might make it a better movie, but my point is it won't deliver what people expect.

I'd much prefer a second season. And I mean that loosely. I don't mean it has to focus on Wakana or Music or having the 5 people re-unite. I don't really care about that. Just add to it. Even if they focused on one character, like Sawa and her butt-slapping global adventure, but gave it the same quality they gave to Tari Tari, I'd be more than happy with that. There's already a good foundation there.

The second thing is about the shows 'history'. I doubt it'll leave any significant impact on Anime in general. But having seen the kind of shows that do, it's not exactly some grand achievement. Is Lucky Star really all that great? K-On!!? Angel Beats? Heck, Clannad? Taste is subjective, but I've enjoyed quite a few shows more than those. I think anyone who wants more out of anime will always try to find gems like Tari Tari.

I'm reminded of True Tears in that regard too. More people remember Toradora! and that show has its place in 'history' now, but I'd rate True Tears' romance to be better than Toradora, especially when contrasting the MCs of the shows. But how many people have even watched True Tears? It might matter in a general sense, but I've shrugged off shows that have gotten high praise before, so it doesn't really matter to me, even if Tari Tari might deserve that recognition.

Even this summer/year, so many other lesser shows are being praised right, left and center. And in no way, shape or form do I find them even remotely good, let alone being able to contend with Tari Tari. Yet those shows will probably be remembered longer.

And to be honest, all Tari Tari did was a few things brilliantly. Most of the time it was just slice of life simplicity (which is fine), but there are those moments, especially with Wakana, that go above and beyond good, into brilliant. The whole year has been lackluster otherwise.
__________________
Sphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:50   Link #1577
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, IMO, it's better to do a few things really well, than try and do a lot of things really badly.

Also, coming across random TT clips on Youtube I came across the one where Wakana is walking into the ocean and Konatsu thinks she's about to kill herself. Wonder if that's a VA reference-- the walking into the ocean part.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 19:00   Link #1578
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
What you just said reminded me of this scene which pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter
That's certainly a funny scene, but I don't see how it's relevant to what I said. I was referring to a lack of something extra in the series, not advocating a formulaic approach to appreciating the show. In fact, the rest of my original post, which was conveniently left out, made references to the unique devices in other slice-of-life series or movies. Long story short, I was stating my personal opinion that good execution can only get you so far.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 19:21   Link #1579
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphire View Post
Two Things:

The call for a movie over a second season, to be honest, while I would still watch it, I feel it'll lack any semblance of what made Tari Tari really good. A comparison was made to the K-On!! movie, but K-On!! can get away with it because the main show was superficial in the first place. No one watched it for some great character development or drama, so a simple movie was fine (and fun).

But Tari Tari? That'll be like watching a Transformers movie without any action sequences or a 'World In Danger Plot'. Granted, that might make it a better movie, but my point is it won't deliver what people expect.

I'd much prefer a second season. And I mean that loosely. I don't mean it has to focus on Wakana or Music or having the 5 people re-unite. I don't really care about that. Just add to it. Even if they focused on one character, like Sawa and her butt-slapping global adventure, but gave it the same quality they gave to Tari Tari, I'd be more than happy with that. There's already a good foundation there.

The second thing is about the shows 'history'. I doubt it'll leave any significant impact on Anime in general. But having seen the kind of shows that do, it's not exactly some grand achievement. Is Lucky Star really all that great? K-On!!? Angel Beats? Heck, Clannad? Taste is subjective, but I've enjoyed quite a few shows more than those. I think anyone who wants more out of anime will always try to find gems like Tari Tari.

I'm reminded of True Tears in that regard too. More people remember Toradora! and that show has its place in 'history' now, but I'd rate True Tears' romance to be better than Toradora, especially when contrasting the MCs of the shows. But how many people have even watched True Tears? It might matter in a general sense, but I've shrugged off shows that have gotten high praise before, so it doesn't really matter to me, even if Tari Tari might deserve that recognition.

Even this summer/year, so many other lesser shows are being praised right, left and center. And in no way, shape or form do I find them even remotely good, let alone being able to contend with Tari Tari. Yet those shows will probably be remembered longer.

And to be honest, all Tari Tari did was a few things brilliantly. Most of the time it was just slice of life simplicity (which is fine), but there are those moments, especially with Wakana, that go above and beyond good, into brilliant. The whole year has been lackluster otherwise.
Well, we were talking about memorability rather than how good or bad it was. (And of course, before wondering if something is good, you have to wonder what they were shooting for. Toradora wasn't a serious romance, for example.)

And to get back to the idea of seminality - it's about memory reinforcement. For several seasons after Lucky Star, I'd watch a show and think "it's this season's Lucky Star". (Much like I watched Lucky Star and thought "Azumanga Daioh, how I missed thee"...)

I watched True Tears, and it didn't leave much of a mark. But I can see it did on some people, who're forever looking for an excuse to bring it up. That, too, makes a show memorable.

But I don't think there'll be a series in the near future which we'll accuse of being a blatant ripoff of Tari Tari. There'll be other stuff from PA Works, and I suppose some people may care to compare them with Tari Tari, but if all they've got in common are a few names in the credits, personally I'm not going to give a damn.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 19:27   Link #1580
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 25
I'm actually surprised that no one brought up last season's Sakamichi no Apollon when making comparative statements with other slice-of-life shows. Out of curiosity, how would everyone compare it to Tari Tari? Both are slice-of-life shows based in school with a heavy music motif and a focus on the main characters' families. I personally prefer Sakamichi no Apollon because I have a preference towards jazz, but that's just on a personal level.
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.