AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-20, 20:17   Link #21
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

As some people have already said, when it's used correctly, yes. One of the things I like about Ken Akamatsu is that he knows that it's not just the fanservice itself that adds to the manga. It's the fanservice happening to those characters that adds to the manga. I also liked it in CLANNAD.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 20:59   Link #22
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hint: All the images in my signature point to shows without any ecchi content, with the possible exception of Welcome to the NHK!, where the limited fanservice is an integral part of the story.
Yeah that's the only show that popped up in my head where the fanservice was an important part of it. I don't even want to call it fanservice cause it wasn't in the sense it was necessary in the show.

For me, I hated all the characters in love hina and the fanservice was tasteless so I don't understand what you're talking about... Maybe if they focused more on story than the service it might have been a little less torturous to watch? (But then again... no cause I hate the characters anyway)
Old 2012-03-20, 21:39   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Choosing Strike Witches as an example is kind of like shooting kittens in a barrel. It actually had an interesting storyline and I have a few WW2 buff friends who might have liked it - but the incessant clinical crotch shot camera angles just made it a no-go. That is what happens when a director doesn't know when to stop.

A certain amount is inevitable - watch any adult prime time live-action series and start marking the "fan service" (Hawaii 5-0, NCIS, CSI, etc). I'll admit - 75% of the reason I watch NCIS is my weekly dose of Abby fan-service (perky gothiness).

I can't really call it "fanservice" if its integral to what is going on in the plot (like love's first grope, whatever). Even "lets go to the beach/onsen/etc" - well that's what people really do in daily life. Then its a matter of how its portrayed (?respectful of the characters or just wobble/jiggle/vaudeville/hellonurse?)

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-03-20 at 21:54.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 21:41   Link #24
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Most series have proven that fanservice is merely a substitute for actual story writing, character development, and genuinely fun scenes. I wouldn't be sad for it to all but disappear from the face of the earth. It's garbage.
Are you talking about fanservice-based series (what's the genre - ecchi? I don't think they qualify as romantic comedies), or about fanservice within shows?

I think fanservice has its place, but there's such a wide range of fanservice types, usage, and scenes that it's hard to make a generalization. Even if it creates a scene in itself, it stirs a feeling within the audience. There's the excitement of becoming more intimate with a member of the opposite sex, and it adds color to the relationships between characters. Even if it doesn't serve much of a purpose, I think it still helps to draw people into shows.
Old 2012-03-20, 21:53   Link #25
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I've said elsewhere that fanservice is like a spice- when added in just a slight amount to a dish, it can often make the dish better. But add too much of it, and the dish becomes crap. Admittedly, I do watch a lot of fanservice-heavy shows, but I can tell you now that those are the ones I watch purely for the "art" (take a guess at what I mean by "art"). But, give me a show with a good story, usually some awesome action (which can also be a form of fanservice, but that's another story), and those shows I love way more than any fanservice-oriented show. Some of my favorite shows are plot-heavy: Heroic Age, ToAru (the Index version), Orphen... you get the idea. I would also add ZnT to this list, but that has a good amount of fanservice in it (but there is a plot there, even if the anime practically destroyed it...)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 21:57   Link #26
CrowKenobi

As Ledgem hints at: are we discussing ecchi fanserive, mecha fanservice, or the type of fanservice that the viewers can recognize from other famous shows or even the odd seiyu joke here and there?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:04   Link #27
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
As Ledgem hints at: are we discussing ecchi fanserive, mecha fanservice, or the type of fanservice that the viewers can recognize from other famous shows or even the odd seiyu joke here and there?
I think it's fairly obvious from the first point that the reference is to sexual fanservice within shows, but perhaps the OP should clarify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Are you talking about fanservice-based series (what's the genre - ecchi? I don't think they qualify as romantic comedies), or about fanservice within shows?

I think fanservice has its place, but there's such a wide range of fanservice types, usage, and scenes that it's hard to make a generalization. Even if it creates a scene in itself, it stirs a feeling within the audience. There's the excitement of becoming more intimate with a member of the opposite sex, and it adds color to the relationships between characters. Even if it doesn't serve much of a purpose, I think it still helps to draw people into shows.
I'm making a blanketing statement about most uses of sexual fanservice. In the past it was often more subtle and naturally titillating. Most series I see today use a sledge hammer when they throw it in, and Strike Witches might be an example of it at its worst, but then again you have things like Nisemonogatari which is the hottest thing on the block with poor fanservice. A lot of popular series these days are dominated by heavy usages of fanservice.

Sexual fanservice in anime in general needs a time out.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:04   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I was going to point out the misuse of the word by the OP but after a few dozen times of explaining what "fan service" actually means sometimes it isn't worth the energy.

I think we're discussing the subset "Ecchi". Personally, I'd like to see a bit less "clinical" and bit more "sweet, charming, cute... with a dash of erotic" but then I just skip out on series that can't tell the difference.
Old 2012-03-20, 22:09   Link #29
CrowKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think we're discussing the subset "Ecchi".
No doubt, indeed.
Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see a bit less "clinical" and bit more "sweet, charming, cute... with a dash of erotic" but then I just skip out on series that can't tell the difference.
It's like the difference between subtle and in your face. Subtle takes more work, while in your face is just easier and requires less effort (and it shows!).

Quote:
Truer words have never been spoken.

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:35   Link #30
Random32
Also a Lolicon

I think by his examples, the OP was pretty obviously referring to ecchi fanservice.

Quote:
I'm making a blanketing statement about most uses of sexual fanservice. In the past it was often more subtle and naturally titillating. Most series I see today use a sledge hammer when they throw it in, and Strike Witches might be an example of it at its worst, but then again you have things like Nisemonogatari which is the hottest thing on the block with poor fanservice. A lot of popular series these days are dominated by heavy usages of fanservice.

And yet a lot of series had very little fanservice. Madoka for example was a huge recent hit and didn't have any real ecchi fanservice. This season, there are many series with minimal fanservice that are really good and a lot of series like Nisemonogatari with a lot of fanservice and are really good.

You are blowing a minor problem way out of proportion. Not even that, but some of us like me don't even agree its a problem.

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see a bit less "clinical" and bit more "sweet, charming, cute... with a dash of erotic"
Agreed.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:35   Link #31
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Quote:
I

But have you ever thought about fanservice being one of the reasons why shows are popular? Granted, 100% fanservice shows don't usually sell too well, but a lot of times when it comes to shows, fanservice+plot usually sells much better than plot with no fanservice.

Like I said, I don't give a shit. The fanservice problem has been way overblown methinks.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 22:49   Link #32
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
But have you ever thought about fanservice being one of the reasons why shows are popular? Granted, 100% fanservice shows don't usually sell too well, but a lot of times when it comes to shows, fanservice+plot usually sells much better than plot with no fanservice.

Like I said, I don't give a shit. The fanservice problem has been way overblown methinks.
Oh yes, indeed. I'm not being a marketing analyst for these animation studios though. I'm expressing what I personally like and dislike. To me, it ruins a lot of shows or serves as huge distractions. I don't think the fanservice thing is overblown, there has been a pretty clear shift in its nature over the last couple decades that not every fan was willing to change to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
And yet a lot of series had very little fanservice. Madoka for example was a huge recent hit and didn't have any real ecchi fanservice. This season, there are many series with minimal fanservice that are really good and a lot of series like Nisemonogatari with a lot of fanservice and are really good.
I don't think I ever said all popular series have fanservice of which I'm talking about. I just said many. Furthermore there are indeed anime to be found without it, but that was not my point at all. I only said originally that most anime who try to incorporate a significant amount of sexual fanservice do it rather poorly.

Quote:
You are blowing a minor problem way out of proportion. Not even that, but some of us like me don't even agree its a problem.
Blowing it out of proportion? I wouldn't be here today as a fan for the most part if I didn't learn to cope with these more unattractive elements of anime (My POV). I've had to form a relation of tolerance to be able to watch many more main stream titles. Suffice to say, for me it's a huge problem and I am not blowing it out of proportion.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 23:29   Link #33
Eragon
Legit star crossed lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post

The problem of fanservice is certainly not overblown since recent anime shows don't even try to be subtle about. All the fanservice nowadays is in your face.
Old 2012-03-20, 23:33   Link #34
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

One good reason why it's their is fanservice is to attract and sell the sexiness, nudity, sex jokes, awkward situations and panty shots.
Old 2012-03-20, 23:34   Link #35
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
I don't think I ever said all popular series have fanservice of which I'm talking about. I just said many. Furthermore there are indeed anime to be found without it, but that was not my point at all. I only said originally that most anime who try to incorporate a significant amount of sexual fanservice do it rather poorly.
In your opinion. Queens Blade sold very well it seems, thus it incorporated fanservice in a way that at least someone liked. Some series are made with your wants in mind, some are made with mine in mind, and some are made with those of people who are huge fans of Queens Blade in mind. So we all get something. Thus we all should watch the anime that takes our own wants into mind and be happy and respect the wants of others. You suggested that the industry needs to take a time out from fanservice. Why? There are anime fans out there that like fanservice, thus there should be fanservice anime being made for them as there is anime without fanservice made for you. Which there is, so you should watch anime that takes your wants into consideration, be happy, and let other people watch anime that take their wants into consideration.

Quote:
Blowing it out of proportion? I wouldn't be here today as a fan for the most part if I didn't learn to cope with these more unattractive elements of anime (My POV). I've had to form a relation of tolerance to be able to watch many more main stream titles. Suffice to say, for me it's a huge problem and I am not blowing it out of proportion.
For some people its a problem, for some people it doesn't effect at all, and for some people its extremely welcome. So in the end they all cancel out and so looking at the big picture, it isn't a problem at all.

Quote:
The problem of fanservice is certainly not overblown since recent anime shows don't even try to be subtle about. All the fanservice nowadays is in your face.
There are still a ton of shows with no fanservice at all. Watch them and let the people who love fanservice watch their shows.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 23:49   Link #36
Eragon
Legit star crossed lovers

^ I'm not telling you or anybody else what to watch or what not to watch. This thread is for discussing whether fanservice adds anything to a show and as such I was answering it. My point was "in your face" fanservice doesn't add anything to the show.
Old 2012-03-20, 23:55   Link #37
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
This may come across as a radical concept, but maybe there are a sizeable portion of Anime viewers that likes fanservices in their show?
I don't think that anybody's denying that.

But people should also accept that the opposite is true - There are a sizeable portion of Anime viewers that often don't like fanservices in their shows.

If there wasn't, these sorts of threads wouldn't keep cropping up.

Plus, I've had one-one-one discussions about fanservice with enough AS members by now to know that amongst long-standing hardcore anime fans, everybody has a different threshold level for fanservice (threshold for "This is where I like it", and threshold for "This is where I hate it").

Honestly, I think that people who always love ecchi fanservice or who never dislike an incident of it, are in the minority, at least amongst the English-speaking fandom. Most anime fans I've talked with about the issue have disliked at least some specific scenes of it that they've seen, and some are even at the point that Reck is at: Wanting anime to take a break from it.

I think it's time that the anime fandom collectively came to grips with the fact that this isn't something that anime fans all agree on, or share the same perception of (Random32 seems to think that fanservice is easy to ignore, I strongly beg to differ - I either like it or I hate it, but I almost never find it easy to ignore in either case).

If anything, ecchi fanservice is one of the most divisive topics within the anime fandom, which means that ecchi fanservice itself is frequently a divisive element. So we should treat it as such, and stop acting as though it's universally loved amongst all anime fans. For every anime blog I've read where the blogger typically loves fanservice and celebrates scenes of it, I've read one where the blogger routinely criticizes anime's handling of fanservice.

All of these people are serious, sincere anime fans, just like you and I are.

I expect people to keep speaking up for their tastes and wants within the anime industry. That means I expect fanservice fans to keep celebrating fanservice, but it also means that other anime fans will frequently criticize how fanservice is used in anime, and that's something that both sides are just going to have to learn to live with. It's probably a good sign that anime is broad enough in its appeal in order to have a fandom of a wide range of tastes.

Edit: Also, the issue isn't with the Queen's Blades of the world. Anime fans who often don't like ecchi fanservice will typically simply stay away from those sorts of anime. The problem is in shows with more widespread appeal. That's when fanservice can be, and often is, an issue. That's when you often have a lot of anime fans who are watching the show for reasons that have nothing to do with fanservice, and fanservice can be an element they don't like in the show and which takes away from their enjoyment of the show. Plus, anime frequently puts fanservice in places where it has no business being (i.e. such as in serious action scenes), imo. It does this often enough that it frankly begs for criticism. If the anime industry would simply learn that there are some places and scenes where fanservice does not belong, I think that most fanservice critics would become entirely silent on this issue pretty much overnight.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-21 at 00:08.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 23:57   Link #38
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its like... there's vaudeville and there's strip shows... then there is theatre, drama, opera... its all entertainment but as long as it doesn't corrode into "no choices" I suppose we'll get by.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:06   Link #39
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
In the past it was often more subtle and naturally titillating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Perhaps, but today's shows have nothing on items like Najica Blitz Tactics, which may still hold the record for most panty shots per minute in anime history. Anime from that vintage (early 2000's) like Steel Angel Kurumi often showed full nudity and exposed nipples which nowadays are hidden behind clouds of steam or just obliterated entirely. Fanservice may seem more prevalent today, but it's also more censored.

My earlier advice still stands; if you don't like it, don't watch it.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:21   Link #40
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

My earlier advice still stands; if you don't like it, don't watch it.

But you see, this is often not a choice. Fanservice often comes up in shows where I wasn't expecting it.

Hanasaku Iroha, to give a recent example. There was absolutely nothing about the PV or first episode of that show that could prepare you for its Episode 3.

That's what I think really bothers some people. The way loud fanservice sneaks up on them when they least expect it.