AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-21, 21:45   Link #1
Kirarakim

Kino, Mushishi, Mononoke

Hi everyone,

Not sure if anyone can help but I am looking for well written episodic series with a singular protagonist like Mononoke, Mushishi, Kino that have one main character (perhaps 2 in the case of Kino & Hermes) and not a lot of strong recurring or supporting characters.

Any suggestions?
Old 2012-03-21, 22:00   Link #2
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Katanagatari has everything you need. It's episodic and the action, plot, and characters are outstanding.
Old 2012-03-21, 22:57   Link #3
Forsaken_Infinity

Send a message via Skype™ to Forsaken_Infinity
Black Jack. As good as things get with an iconic main character in an episodic format. Based on the manga drawn by the father/god of manga Osamu Tezuka. It was adapted several times but the one I am recommending is the latest series of adaptations. They do get diluted a bit towards the very end because they ran out stuff etc. but it is a really really good show.

I don't think Katanagatari is necessarily episodic (it has a plot that moves forward and you can't really watch episodes out of the order or standalone but otherwise it is episodic and only some of the cast is recurring) but it's a pretty good show, especially if you're into shows that are heavy on dialogue. You may have already seen it though?

Astro Fighter Sunred features a superhero taking on forces of evil to protect his city and the world. It has a pretty big recurring cast but its episodic and is such a good show that you shouldn't miss out on it.

Kaidan Restaurant is an episodic show that features a short cast of recurring characters. It features retelling of popular horror myth from around the world. It's very basic but it was a guilty pleasure.

Kūchū Buranko has an interesting doctor and his sexy (3DPD) nurse solve the problems of many a weird patients. It's not exactly episodic but more like Mononoke where the arcs are separate.

And this series doesn't have a MC going through different iterations but is episodic nonetheless. Aoi Bungaku adapted popular Japanese literature and did a really good job at that imho. I really liked their rendition of "No longer Human" and "Kokoro".

I don't suppose you are interested in watching omnibus adaptations of eroge but I definitely do recommend Yosuga No Sora if only for the proactiveness of the MC in his pursuit of Love and to soothe the wound that must have been caused by watching countless cases of slow or unfulfilled romance with one that moves very fast. Oh and it looks and sounds pretty. Has brother sister twincest in the last route but that's the fun part :3

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2012-03-21 at 23:19.
Old 2012-03-21, 23:24   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Natsume Yuujinchou? That the closest fit I can think of to shows like Kino and Mushishi. Higepiyo might qualify if you don't mind having an animal, in this case a chick with samurai aspirations, as the main character. Thermae Romae might also count. It does have a continuing story line, but the episodes are pretty self-contained.

Level E has a terrific protagonist, and the show consists of short arcs like Mononoke. I'd skip the "super-sentai" parody in the middle and focus on the episodes where Prince Baka is the center of attention.

Bartender is another possibility. The protagonist himself is in some ways largely a facilitator who helps his patrons resolve difficult emotional issues from their pasts. Watch at least the first two episodes before deciding whether to continue.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-03-21 at 23:38.
Old 2012-03-21, 23:27   Link #5
Forsaken_Infinity

I would have thought Kirarakim would already be watching Natsume Yuujinchou considering it's currently airing and all. But I second that recommendation if you haven't watched any of it. And while you're at it, watch Hotarubi no Mori e. Because it's a short and sweet movie by the same author as Natsume Yuujinchou.
Old 2012-03-21, 23:32   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

If you're willing to go a little outside your comfort zone:

Casshern Sins

Pretty episodic feel to it, with Casshern being the only real strongly reoccurring character throughout. Self journey, but very dark and gloomy show, nothing feel good to be found here like a Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou.

Very stylistic and worth a watch.
Old 2012-03-21, 23:40   Link #7
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If you're willing to go a little outside your comfort zone:

Casshern Sins

Pretty episodic feel to it, with Casshern being the only real strongly reoccurring character throughout. Self journey, but very dark and gloomy show, nothing feel good to be found here like a Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou.

Very stylistic and worth a watch.
Thanks for reminding me of this show. Always meant to watch it but kept on putting it off for later. Gonna watch now.
Old 2012-03-22, 03:56   Link #8
mecharobot

Master Keaton would be the anime of choice. Episodic, one lead, supporting cast keeps good space in between appearances and it is extremely well written. Characters are great, mature and there is no SD faces, effects or inappropriate comedy. Stories alter between crime investigation, slice of life and some history themed ones.
Old 2012-03-22, 05:09   Link #9
Kirarakim

Thanks everyone! I admit I was not looking for suggestions of what to watch but a friend is running a game & needed a couple anime similar to those titles.

I think Black Jack, Master Keaton, Level E and Bartender would especially work well.

That being said I do love these type of series and have not seen Black Jack or Master Keaton both of which sound really good. So maybe I will watch some of the recommendations after all.

And yes I have seen Casshern Sins & follow Natsume (Both very good shows). I think while they do focus on a main character they have a strong supporting cast.
Old 2012-03-22, 14:44   Link #10
Forsaken_Infinity

If you do watch Level E, I suggest against skipping the Super Sentai portion. Don't skip them. They are good in their own merit.