AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 24
10: Amazing... 12 29.27%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 14 34.15%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 10 24.39%
7 out of 10: Good... 2 4.88%
6 out of 10: Average... 0 0%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 1 2.44%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 2.44%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-25, 15:12   Link #41
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
And what carry death flag?
Excuse me, but what what are you trying to say?
Quote:
Actually I was expecting Decil to be the one left behind not Geera Zoi's kid.
Actually, I was expecting Desil to die. With the way Flit was acting at the time, I don't buy that he would just let Desil live.
Quote:
He escaped Ambat yes but was left behind . During those 27 year we know where he has been in Earth Sphere.
Is that really what happened? If true, then that would explain his desperation and eventual involvement with this mysterious entity.
Quote:
He can't get to Grodek as it is a military prison. With probably only him as its prisoner.
Grodek wasn't the only prisoner. It would not be economically sustainable to build a military prison for one. Plus, he said it himself that he communicated with other prisoners.
Quote:
Brings to question who was Grodek's contact. Is it Ract? Or that choco eating captain?
His early contacts were his fellow prisoners. His later contacts must be other criminals outside.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:17   Link #42
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Asemu has to be the worst protagonist ever. At least Kira, with all his faults, or lack there of depending on how you wanna look at it, had some sort of valid reason to be in the cockpit of a mobile suit: end the fighting and save lives.

So what is Asemu's goal? His raison d'etre? produce results to be acknowledged... WTF is that crap? I can take idealistic BS, "I'm fighting to protect the people, the Federation, our way of life" or simply "I signed up, it's my job, I gotta do it till my contract is up" or w/e but Nooooo. I need to be acknowledged! waaaaa.

I think this show would be a lot better if the second part focused on Zeheart and the Vagan's story instead of Asemu's. They are clearly more intriguing and interesting than Asemu and the Federation
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:37   Link #43
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Asemu has to be the worst protagonist ever. At least Kira, with all his faults, or lack there of depending on how you wanna look at it, had some sort of valid reason to be in the cockpit of a mobile suit: end the fighting and save lives.

So what is Asemu's goal? His raison d'etre? produce results to be acknowledged... WTF is that crap? I can take idealistic BS, "I'm fighting to protect the people, the Federation, our way of life" or simply "I signed up, it's my job, I gotta do it till my contract is up" or w/e but Nooooo. I need to be acknowledged! waaaaa.

I think this show would be a lot better if the second part focused on Zeheart and the Vagan's story instead of Asemu's. They are clearly more intriguing and interesting than Asemu and the Federation
He joined to protect people (re-watch the begging of Age-2, you know, when Vegan attack his colony).
But he was always been push aside by everyone dear to him. So no wonder he is angry.
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:41   Link #44
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hungary
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Another excellent episode...

And another meter down into the hole for Asemu. No episode has failed to push the boy further down into a pit from which I cannot see him clawing his way out aside from dying in a glorious save.

Spoiler for At the rate he's going...:
That would be a pretty nice plot twist!
I would definitely support this.

Unfortunately though, I'm afraid, your idea is too creative for Gundam AGE.


Anyways, I don't think the main triangle is swinging towards Zehart's favor.
If you believe that then you fell into the same pitfall as Asemu did.

I hear people talking about that "Romary chose Zehart" and whatnot.
But what are actual the grounds for that assumption?

Let's see those so-called "proofs". I remember 2-3 of them.

1.) When Romary talked with Asemu after he fought Zehart. Her expression revealed that she was relieved that Zehart is alive and she probably longed to meet him.

2.) When Romary brough up Zehart in episode 23.

3.) When Romary shielded Zehart against Asemu in the current episode.

Ok, on the first glance that certainly looks like Romary had feelings for Zehart.

And that's indeed the truth. Although it isn't the way you would expect.

Remember the beginning?

In the academy, Asemu and Zehart seemed to be the inseparable duo with Romary being the happy third wheel. Romary was content to watch the two friends getting on well.

Romary wished that those happy days can last forever. That's why Zehart's departure was a shock to her.

And with the more recent developments the situation turned for the worst. The two great friends are now dead set on killing each other. Imagine the pain the innocent third party would suffer.

So I think instead "romance" the key to explain Romary's actions is "friendship".

Let's get back to those 3 points:

1.) Romary is relived to hear about Zehart and longing to meet him again.

Of course she is. What would you do when you


2.) Romary mentioning Zehart and taking his side in a discussion with Asemu.

Yeah, when Asemu starts saying phrases like "All Vegan are monsters and they must be killed!" Basically demoting the Vegans from their humanity.
That's why Romary brought up Zehart who was their friend for years despite being a Vegan.

3.) Romary shielded Zehart against Asemu's gun.

Yeah, when you have Asemu, filled with rage and aiming a gun at his former best friend then Romary would be damned if she wouldn't try to stop him.
She wants both Zehart and Asemu to return being friends. A situation that doesn't allow friends shooting down each other.


Conclusion: Romary is just trying to protect the trio's friendship which is steadily falling apart. No romantic undertones whatsoever. She might be a bit obnoxious given the gravity of the situation but her actions are reasonable based on Romary's limited knowledge.
__________________
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:51   Link #45
RX93-2
White Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
Another excellent episode...

And another meter down into the hole for Asemu. No episode has failed to push the boy further down into a pit from which I cannot see him clawing his way out aside from dying in a glorious save.

Spoiler for At the rate he's going...:
To your spoiler:
Full out or Borderline abuse of the other person like that is not done.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:51   Link #46
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
* The Double Bullet seems to be far superior to the regular AGE-2. If it doesn't have a weakness, then it's unlike the Titus and Spallow which had both advantages and disadvantages compared to the AGE-1.
The AGE system does learn and readjusts itself to the pilot. Considering that Asemu doesn't have the x-rounder ability such as Flit, it probably concluded that covering Asemu's weakness by equipping it with more armory and hiding its blind spots would be more appropriate.
I mean how many times did Asemu got his machine damaged? Without DB and its hidden arsenal, Asemu would have lost to the x-rounder grunts easily.If I recall the shoulder beam have a larger radius than the dods rifle, leaving the x-rounder not enough time to dodge it. So even if they knew the beam is coming they would not be able to escape it. The way I see it is, that Asemu needs this kind of firepower to compensate against x-rounders. Once he gains the x-rounder ability, the next upgrade will probably have less weapons.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 15:54   Link #47
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well this episode just pushed the Asemu negativity right to the limit. Everything just came out with the Zeheart conversation and Romary. Does show an unexpected consequence of Flit's focus in raising Asemu. His whole life he's pounded in his expectations and the exact path he has in mind for Asemu. The harder Asemu tries the more stressed he becomes. At this point he does feel like if he can't fight to his father's expectations than he has no meaning. He can't even see a different path because that path has been the one hammered into him as the only one that exists. If Asemu can't find his own reason to be fighting or just get out of the fighting completely, he's going to snap.

If that wasn't bad enough his suspicions were 'confirmed' by Romary's actions here. Of course didn't really read anything from Zeheart short of surprise. Unless something drastically changes there doesn't seem to be a huge threat of Zeheart taking Romary, though that doesn't by default help Asemu. Right now things are in a tough spot simply for Asemu and Romary's friendship. Throw together jealousy and a sense of betrayal (Romary defending the enemy while not reacting to Zeheart pointing a gun at Asemu) and this could be uncomfortable. Here's hoping Romary can at least clue into why Asemu isn't interested in talking to her.

RIP Grodek. I figured that kid would turn into a villain for this arc so this was a surprise. Didn't think he'd just be living like that, stab Grodek, and then get killed himself. An ugly end to the kid's life, but at least he didn't have to live like that any longer. Of course Grodek didn't have such a cheerful life either. It was good to see him again, even though it wasn't for long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
If Flit does that then it would be a really stupid and petty move as it would mean he is willing jeopardize the greater good for his own personal vendetta against the Vagans.

It was the Federation who created that whole mess to begin with, and if they are willing to fix it peacefully, and more importantly, the Vagans are willing to accept it, then Flit should go along with it.
Well somehow I think Flit gave up on the greater good the moment Yurin got killed. I'm really not sure what would happen if the Vagans were open to discussing peace. He might do his job despite being angry about it or he could snap. Luckily the Vagans don't seem eager to go that route so he's in luck.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 16:27   Link #48
psy17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
seriously, if I were Asemu I would just give up on Romary and just shot her in the leg for protecting the Vagan commander or least throw her in the brig for treason. its only a matter of time before she does it in the middle of battle.
psy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 17:07   Link #49
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy17 View Post
seriously, if I were Asemu I would just give up on Romary and just shot her in the leg for protecting the Vagan commander or least throw her in the brig for treason. its only a matter of time before she does it in the middle of battle.
Asemu's hardly one to throw stones. In addition to being repeatedly insubordinate, he deserted in the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Asemu has to be the worst protagonist ever. At least Kira, with all his faults, or lack there of depending on how you wanna look at it, had some sort of valid reason to be in the cockpit of a mobile suit: end the fighting and save lives.

So what is Asemu's goal? His raison d'etre? produce results to be acknowledged... WTF is that crap? I can take idealistic BS, "I'm fighting to protect the people, the Federation, our way of life" or simply "I signed up, it's my job, I gotta do it till my contract is up" or w/e but Nooooo. I need to be acknowledged! waaaaa.
Daddy issues aren't exactly uncommon. But I agree the execution's just terrible. Asemu'd be more sympathetic if he could lie to himself more convincingly about the whole thing. And if he'd work for things a bit instead of just throwing tantrums and having everything handed to him.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 17:11   Link #50
Nakorius
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ptolemaios 2
Age: 27
I don't know why but i get the feeling that Woolf is the third party... remember on ambat he met some vegan dude. His talk with him was ambiguous. Grodek would never delete any important info if it didn't involve someone Flit knows. Doubt anyone would even have an inkling of remorse to rat out a politician who is either corrupt or a traitor. I say Woolf, but the options also can be Millie, and the attaché dude from Big Ring.
Nakorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 17:45   Link #51
TypeR
Fate X Destiny
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakorius View Post
I don't know why but i get the feeling that Woolf is the third party... remember on ambat he met some vegan dude. His talk with him was ambiguous. Grodek would never delete any important info if it didn't involve someone Flit knows. Doubt anyone would even have an inkling of remorse to rat out a politician who is either corrupt or a traitor. I say Woolf, but the options also can be Millie, and the attaché dude from Big Ring.
In before Commander Bruzar isn't dead and he's the 3rd party, trolololol

If it is someone that Flit knows, there aren't many.
-People from Fardain
-Choco Commander
-Birming's @ Minsry
-Commander Bruzar
-Diva crew
-Flit's current Vice-commander
-Yark Dole?
-Mardona Factory
__________________
Thank you Klashikari for the wonderful sig
TypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 17:54   Link #52
AltSpace
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Really great episode. But man being asemu has to be downright brutal. The guy's mind is slowly unraveling, his reason for fighting is starting to blur into an obsession of proving himself to those around him. I m kinda of wondering whether he'll be alive for the next arc, because the traits hes adpoting wont lead to a very long life as a soldier.

RomaryxAsemu is out the window, even though it was subtle he did have feelings for her or else he wouldnt have completely lost it when she chose zeheart over him. I dont even understand why romary is so fascinated with zeheart, I think she'll die soon enough.

Grodek dying sucked, but I guess he filled his life's purpose during the battle of ambat. It was hilarous how foreshadowed his death was, meeting the next day to show some evidence that would condemn someone within the federation because the rain made it "perfect". On a more serious note could he have known he would have been murdered?

And last but not least, Flit crying over grodek was touching. Too bad it will probably cause him to become even more of a spiteful hardass which in turn means he will treat asemu even worse. Poor guy....

Loving this arc.
AltSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:37   Link #53
Sage Shinigami
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
Asemu has to be the worst protagonist ever. At least Kira, with all his faults, or lack there of depending on how you wanna look at it, had some sort of valid reason to be in the cockpit of a mobile suit: end the fighting and save lives.

So what is Asemu's goal? His raison d'etre? produce results to be acknowledged... WTF is that crap? I can take idealistic BS, "I'm fighting to protect the people, the Federation, our way of life" or simply "I signed up, it's my job, I gotta do it till my contract is up" or w/e but Nooooo. I need to be acknowledged! waaaaa.

I think this show would be a lot better if the second part focused on Zeheart and the Vagan's story instead of Asemu's. They are clearly more intriguing and interesting than Asemu and the Federation
"I'm fighting to protect the people" was Flit, and the fact that he couldn't protect one person has basically pushed him to be perfect in all other aspects up to now. That has, logically, resulted in Asem: a kid who was raised by someone that's basically seen as perfect in this universe, and thus has the same expectations placed on him. To make it worse, his best friend becomes his worst enemy and even HE'S a far superior pilot to Asemu.

Asemu's current reasoning is EXTREMELY relateable IMO: Because his problem isn't that he's not "good", it's that he's not "good enough". And the series has done an EXCELLENT job in portraying that so far.

Zeheart's a boring-ass Sasuke clone to be honest. "I'm fighting to avenge my people" is something I've seen in a dozen other anime, plus he's a pretty boy who HAS the girl even though he's a traitor AND he's got the superior piloting abilities and more respect--holy crap Age HAS turned into Naruto...

Gundam AGE is actually kind of a really cold-hearted and cruel universe, the more I think about it. FlitxEmily is basically a loveless marriage. He married her because she was there. If AsemuxRomary happens it will be because of some kind of twisted karma where Asemu suffers for Flit's actions and HE'LL be the one who gets married because he's there. The cycle of revenge has so far turned one really nice, innocent, and well-meaning kid into Gendou Ikari, and killed two people in the cast we know of and countless more "victims".

I guess that's why the third generation of Asuno looks like a freaking pussy, because he's going to be the one to "forgive" and break all the chains that have been holding down the galaxy for 100 years.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 18:47   Link #54
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
This episode was fucking intense, both in action and drama. Loved it.

10/10
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:22   Link #55
kakakka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Daddy issues aren't exactly uncommon. But I agree the execution's just terrible. Asemu'd be more sympathetic if he could lie to himself more convincingly about the whole thing. And if he'd work for things a bit instead of just throwing tantrums and having everything handed to him.
It's been thrown to his face almost every episode. The way he's been desperate in this episode, compared to others where he kept it all to himself, is just okay, imo.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:32   Link #56
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Shinigami View Post
Gundam AGE is actually kind of a really cold-hearted and cruel universe, the more I think about it. FlitxEmily is basically a loveless marriage.
Yes, there's absolutely no way they can develop a loving relationship in all those years right? God forbid Flit falls in love with another woman because he already lost "The One" already.
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:36   Link #57
Vsin
Aldracity
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Spoiler:
My Japanese could be awful, but I'm pretty sure that Romary saying "I've always liked you" to Zehart's face is basically a love confession. Of course, it could also have been "I've always wanted to see you (again)", because my Japanese is pretty awful. Then again she kinda got really clingy after she saw Zehart sooo...

Also, bring on the AGE-2 Double O Bullet. It's basically a 00 Riser minus Trans-AM.

I figure that Zehart's situation is more like a sense of obligation to the Veigans and Ezelcant than an actual "For my people". He probably really, really wishes he could've stuck to that high school life, but after all he's done for his people and that recent promotion, he isn't in any position to quit. I mean, why else would he have set up the meeting this episode in the first place?

Asem is in a similar situation, only it's closer to "I never wanted to be a soldier...but daddy conscripted me and now I don't have a future anywhere else." So now he's stuck fighting because he has no idea what else he can do, and he has to constantly lie to himself about his motives to continue fighting. He's already tried stuff like MS development but he's barely average at that, and as far as we can tell he has a natural talent for fighting.

EDIT: Whoops, context fail. Sorry Sonic >_>
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:38   Link #58
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I think SAGE guy, mentioned that Zehart basically mentioned "I've always loved you" in the script or something like that so he changed it to like.

Even if I think romance isnt what Zehart really meant context wise.
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:46   Link #59
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
Conclusion: Romary is just trying to protect the trio's friendship which is steadily falling apart. No romantic undertones whatsoever. She might be a bit obnoxious given the gravity of the situation but her actions are reasonable based on Romary's limited knowledge.
I think you are the only one who's nailed it - Romary isn't attracted to Zeheart but rather she's stuck in the past about how good it was when they were all friends. The problem is that it was totally "off" when last episode she was also the character to tell Asemu that "this is war", it would be much easier to grasp her reason for shielding Zeheart if they keep painting Romary as having an idealist - almost innocent and girly-dream-like - view of the friendship being salvageable to explain her actions. The lack of screen time for Romary is partly to blame here, but I guess they also want the viewer to fall into the same trap as Asemu - we are suppose to feel the same weight that he is feeling, he is just not "good enough", even though he works his ass off for everything he does up till now (he trains hard, he studies hard, he fights hard in the simulations etc) he is angst because he doesn't have *talents* which his dad and Zeheart has.

Also the other pitfall which Asemu haven't realised yet is that he actually has a better reason to fight than Zeheart - protecting people IS a perfectly valid reason. Zeheart's "duty" thing is actually the lesser of the reason between them here, especially that he's essentially going to end up assisting genocide (we know the current Vagan leader's plan is exactly that). It's just that Zeheart is brainwashed by political ideals to think that his cause is more noble, which it isn't. Whereas Asemu is suffering from inferiority complex such that he doesn't have enough confidence to tell Zeheart to STFU and that his ideal to stop the Vagan invading Earth is actually righteous. The setup is actually very closely mirroring Kou vs Gato in 0083 - everyone thinks that Gato is so noble and awesome and he's putting down Kou and the Feds as having no noble cause or higher ideal - yet protecting innocent people from being killed by BS political ideology IS noble.
__________________
My twitter - not really seiyuu-centred so follow at your own risk
Celebrities I've talked to in person
Mizuki Nana, Chiba Saeko, Shimizu Ai, Shimokawa Mikuni, Chihara Minori, Tamura Yukari, Nakahara Mai, Sakai Kanako
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 19:57   Link #60
Liquidzero
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post

Yeah, when you have Asemu, filled with rage and aiming a gun at his former best friend then Romary would be damned if she wouldn't try to stop him.
Except it was Zeheart initially pointing the gun at Asemu set on shooting Asemu so "he could be himself." Instead of running in to shield Asemu, she walks over to Zeheart and says: "i've wanted to see you for so long!" instead of "Zeheart why are you pointing that gun at Asemu!"
Liquidzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.