AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2013-08-08, 20:39   Link #161
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'll have to admit that having so much of the lovely voice of Hazuki Erino-san (Shihomi or, as I prefer to know her, the voice for Akari-chan from Aria) on the episode may be clouding my judgement.
Hazuki Erino is suteki as always, even though she had the least lines this episode. In fact, her first line in the episode at the beginning when Shihomi called out for Potte, she was so full-on Akari voice mode that it made me extremely nostalgic. I almost cried T_T

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-08, 21:48   Link #162
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Just so nice of an episode Fuu traveling the path witch her father did
Old 2013-08-08, 23:11   Link #163
novalysis
Banned

This episode brought tears to my eyes. And this is the very first season of Tamayura I'm watching! This show is a work of emotional genius!
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 13:02   Link #164
Dop
We can't stop here...

Waaa! Wanna go to Onomichi!

That was a beautiful episode, and it was so nice and nostalgic to hear Hazuki Erino in full-on Akari mode again, especially in the bakery scene and in the bedroom of the B&B.

And it was such a lovely travel story as well.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 17:01   Link #165
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Sayuri Yahagi. She was a bit hard to recognize here.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Hazuki Erino is suteki as always, even though she had the least lines this episode. In fact, her first line in the episode at the beginning when Shihomi called out for Potte, she was so full-on Akari voice mode that it made me extremely nostalgic. I almost cried T_T
That was clearly Akari's voice. There wasn't even a shred of attempt to do anything else on that particular scene. It got me all misty eyed as well considering I went and re-watched episode 5 of The Natural after the previous episode.

Damn I miss Aria

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 04:58   Link #166
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Damn I miss Aria
Me too

On a better note, just listened to the ED single.... it's Nakajima Megumi so of course it's lovely, especially what it looks like will be this ~More Aggressive~'s IN song, Kaze Iro No Film

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 11:59   Link #167
Marina2

Ep.7

With Chihiro and Tomo-chan around, this ep. automatically get 10/10 from me.

This is also very good ep by itself. It is very "tamayura"

Images
Welcome back
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This ep. also include one thing that you probably never seen before in any anime
Spoiler:

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-08-14 at 12:58.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 07:28   Link #168
Dawnstorm

Hm, for some reason I'm not as into the last two episodes as I used to be into Tamayura. Everyone's praising the episodes, so I wonder whether it's me, and I'm growing out of it?

Something feels like rote, here. The last two episodes are very good when it comes to giving Fuu expressions that express her feelings, but the context feels lacking. I'm not sure what's going on here. The show's always been sentimental near the pain cut-off point for me, but it's always struck a delicate balance. These last two episodes, though, feel like an excursion into sappy territory for me (with episode 7 feeling more like the return trip; it's definitely better than the last episode).

Does anyone know what I mean, or am I developing Tamayura resistance? I hope it's not the latter. I'd hate that, considering how much I used to love the show.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 09:08   Link #169
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was disappointed Kanae didn't get to go to Shioiri with the rest of the group. She's already an integral part of the show for me so it's a bit saddening when she's absent. I can't get enough of her cuteness! Chihiro and Tomo-chan were decent replacements though.

Another down memory lane for Fuu. She's really lucky to have so many good memories of her father. That's something to treasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Hm, for some reason I'm not as into the last two episodes as I used to be into Tamayura. Everyone's praising the episodes, so I wonder whether it's me, and I'm growing out of it?

Something feels like rote, here. The last two episodes are very good when it comes to giving Fuu expressions that express her feelings, but the context feels lacking. I'm not sure what's going on here. The show's always been sentimental near the pain cut-off point for me, but it's always struck a delicate balance. These last two episodes, though, feel like an excursion into sappy territory for me (with episode 7 feeling more like the return trip; it's definitely better than the last episode).

Does anyone know what I mean, or am I developing Tamayura resistance? I hope it's not the latter. I'd hate that, considering how much I used to love the show.
Episode 6 was more sentimental/emotional than usual (I wouldn't call it sappy) and therefore different from the usual Tamayura so I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I saw that as a good thing.
Old 2013-08-15, 13:55   Link #170
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Peachcat got a harem

My Anime list
My VN list
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 15:15   Link #171
Dr. Casey

Tomo-chan "can't control herself whenever she's in the mood?" Ohoho~ Tell us more, Chiho.

Potte's hair decoration later in the episode reminded me of a thought bubble. /random weird thought
And, as always, loved this episode's photo collage. I liked the pigtailed picture of Potte as a kid, where she looks uncharacteristically energetic almost to the point of being tomboyish, and Kao-tan is very cute in that one where she's posing with Potte during their childhood.

Quote:

Remain strong. Enzo already strayed from the path of righteousness and dropped the series, we don't need to lose another brave Tamayura soldier.
Dr. Casey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 18:34   Link #172
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Remain strong. Enzo already strayed from the path of righteousness and dropped the series, we don't need to lose another brave Tamayura soldier.
He dropped it?! It was probably too aggressive for him. Only an elite few can handle a series this hardcore.
Old 2013-08-15, 19:23   Link #173
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
He dropped it?! It was probably too aggressive for him. Only an elite few can handle a series this hardcore.
I was going to stay out of this, but since my name was dropped...

My official take was that Tamayaura hadn't changed, but that I simply had a tolerance for it that was exhausted. I can't say if anything changed after the first three episodes, but for that period the show seemed about the same as the first season to me - no better, no worse.

Which is to say, unrelentingly sweet. I think sappy is a strong word, but since it was raised I won't argue - of course Tamayura is sappy. I think I just reached critical mass and couldn't take it any longer, even as the offhand distraction the first season provided. Sato, IMO simply needs someone else's creative input to temper his own impulses because when he doesn't have it, this is the result. It's like a chef whose only ingredients are sugar, molasses and honey.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-08-15 at 19:38.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 19:37   Link #174
novalysis
Banned

This is the first season of Tamayura I've watched, so I think I am far from the "sweetness" saturation point, where the show starts giving me mental diabetes.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 21:30   Link #175
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

My official take was that Tamayaura hadn't changed, but that I simply had a tolerance for it that was exhausted. I can't say if anything changed after the first three episodes, but for that period the show seemed about the same as the first season to me - no better, no worse.

Which is to say, unrelentingly sweet. I think sappy is a strong word, but since it was raised I won't argue - of course Tamayura is sappy. I think I just reached critical mass and couldn't take it any longer, even as the offhand distraction the first season provided. Sato, IMO simply needs someone else's creative input to temper his own impulses because when he doesn't have it, this is the result. It's like a chef whose only ingredients are sugar, molasses and honey.
The series is less "sappy" if you've lost a parent as a child. At least this season. I've only seen one previous episode before the start of the season.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-15, 21:49   Link #176
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it good to see Chihiro again and seeing every one yukatas

Oh my Momoneko is a player
Old 2013-08-16, 04:16   Link #177
Dop
We can't stop here...

Momoneko's acquisition of a blue-eyed haremette and a captain's hat leads to only one conclusion.
Some of their offspring sneaked aboard the terraforming ships to Mars, where they became known as martian cats.

Therefore, Momoneko is Aria-shachou's great-great-(etc)-grandfather. QED.

I could never tire of this show. So what if it is 'sappy'? THAT'S WHY I WATCH IT!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 05:32   Link #178
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Episode 6 was more sentimental/emotional than usual (I wouldn't call it sappy) and therefore different from the usual Tamayura so I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I saw that as a good thing.
If episode 6 grabbed you, then, of course, you wouldn't call it "sappy". That's what it felt like to me, though; I didn't get into the episode, and thus I didn't feel it. What I'm trying to figure out is: why?

Is it the episode direction, or is it my mood.

For example, my subjective impression was that Fuu mostly stood around wide eyed, only reacting to dramatic cues from the script. It's not that I expected her to do anything; but something felt inconsistent, there.

Look at episode 5(? the one with Fuu's sakura tree), and how they looked at the snapshots. Those snap shots had, I felt, more life in them than the animation in this episode. But I suck at the technicalities of animation, so all I have is a subjective impression.

From the first OVA episode, when I fell in love with the series, I felt it was a "safe" anime. That's not normally my cup of tea, but the show made it work through the photography. The animation, attention to body language, etc. made it worthwhile.

I think I might have enjoyed the story board more than the actual episode. Is there anywhere I can check episode directors for all seasons including the OVA? I might have run into an episode director who doesn't click with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Oh, I'm very far from dropping it.

Quote:
My official take was that Tamayaura hadn't changed, but that I simply had a tolerance for it that was exhausted.
I can relate to that. Even in my best days, I couldn't marathon the show. But at one episode per week I could go on forever. Or that's how I felt before episode 6 gave me doubts.

Quote:
I can't say if anything changed after the first three episodes, but for that period the show seemed about the same as the first season to me - no better, no worse.
Yes. Actually, a recent episode (I think 5) reminded me of why I love the show so much. It's just episode 6 that stood out as weak for me. Episode 7 had the same feel, but it was mitigated somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
The series is less "sappy" if you've lost a parent as a child. At least this season. I've only seen one previous episode before the start of the season.
I haven't lost a parent as a child, but usually I felt that Tamayura handled this aspect very well. Especially in the OVAs, but also in this season. For me, episode 6 stands out, and it seems it doesn't for anyone else really. (Kanon maybe, though I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I could never tire of this show. So what if it is 'sappy'? THAT'S WHY I WATCH IT!
That's what I thought.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-16, 15:21   Link #179
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:

Glad to see you sharing your opinion on this. I was actually curious as to why you had dropped it but I can fully understand your reasons.

I have to admit that I was very close to doing the same on a few episodes of the first season of Tamayura but now, after the fantastic episode 6 of this second season, I'm back in the groove to watch this.

I actually never thought much about it but now that you mentioned it I can see how your comment on Sato's need for someone to temper his natural tendencies is relevant for this show (and also One Off, maybe even more so on that one).

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 17:46   Link #180
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I loved the latest two episodes. Very sweet and touching. Excellent attention to detail on the settings. Good job of enlarging the cast with interesting and diverse new characters.

Tomo makes me think of Haruhi Suzumiya with every ounce of darkness/melancholy drained from her, leaving a very perky and inquisitive genki girl (but also somebody completely harmless).

I also like how far most of the cast have come as characters. Kao-tan now has just the lightest touch of cynicism to her, adding a dialogue dimension largely not seen before in this show. Everybody comes across as very comfortable in their own skin, and with chatting with each other. Chihiro has come leaps and bounds from her early days of barely being able to even talk normally with other people.

These girls now more or less feel like normal, likeable girls, whereas before they were shy and soft-spoken to the extreme. It's been a joy to watch them grow.

All of that being said...

Quote:
I think I know what it is.

Tamayura ~More Aggressive~ started out with the promise of being, well, more aggressive. A lot of this was tied up into the creation of the Photography Club. This was pretty interesting, and along with the introduction of Mitani's character, it represented a nice new direction for the show to go in.

However, Mitani has almost disappeared these last two episodes, and the Photography Club has definitely been put on the backburner. What we're getting instead is Potte delving more deeply into the history of her father, and we as the audience are simultaneously learning more about him.

It's all very sweet and touching. And the portrait that this anime paints of Potte's father is certainly a cool and compelling one. Through countless testimonials of other people to what he was like, he comes across as a very lively, gregarious, charming man. A real man of whimsical adventure and optimism. And also a wonderful family man. The relationship between Potte, her father, and their shared love of photography, has always been at the very heart of this show.

So... while the last two episodes have been great, they can also come across as a bit of a re-hash, at least thematically. Instead of continuing on in a new direction (Potte's father being important but background inspiration for Potte pursuing a bright new future) we're instead now exploring lovely but older patterns of Potte waxing nostalgic over her father while his presence looms like the ghost of Julius Caesar in the Shakespeare play of the same name.

In some ways, I think a more fitting title for this anime would have been "???? Sawatari" (the ???? being the given name for Potte's father). Very rarely have I seen a dead character maintain such an incredible presence through a narrative as I have seen in this anime. His legacy stretches far and wide, touching almost every corner of this show.

As impressive as the man clearly is, there are times when I feel like the show goes a bit too far with it, making it feel like its more about him than his daughter. I will say that I'd love to watch a Tamayura prequel focusing on the exploits of Mr. Sawatari when he was a teenager.

But as impressive and fascinating as Mr. Sawatari is, there is a part of me that would like to see him fade into the background for a bit, while his daughter and her friends chart their own course forward. I hope next episode focuses a bit more on the Photography club.

Tags
iyashikei, slice of life