AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2012-03-27, 07:57   Link #41
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I rarely skip OPs and rarely watch EDs. Regardless I know there are some songs that I listen to more for being associated with a show I like rather than the music itself; sometimes I can't tell if I genuinely like a song or if I'm just remembering how much an anime made me swoon over it. If a song is good by itself then more power to it. The downside to music that I like is that when it's from a series I utterly detest; how does a title so bad have a song so good?!
I won't forget your voice, nor will I forget the tears
and the future known as 'hope' that starts from now

My MAL||A tract on my rewatch of Sword Art Online
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:20   Link #42
Eragon
Bancho Mako best Mako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
The downside to music that I like is that when it's from a series I utterly detest; how does a title so bad have a song so good?!
Inuyasha comes to mind. If it could just match its music....
Old 2012-03-27, 08:25   Link #43
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

It means a lot to me. Ghost in the Shell might be awesome or whatever,but I stopped watching it after seeing the terrible OP. (The one and only series I have dropped right after episode 1,but to be honest it wasn't interesting in the first place)

Future Diary got me the moment I heard the OP. The show itself was great,but the OP definetely added to it.

Code Geass is amazing and it had good music.

Death Note is amazing and it had good music.

Now that I think of it,I can't name a good anime that had bad music.

It's not just about adding,it is a part of the show. I never skip openings because of that. (But yes I do end up subconciously whistling or humming them after I listen to them like 20 times)
Old 2012-03-27, 08:39   Link #44
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkyPwnz View Post
Now that I think of it,I can't name a good anime that had bad music.

It's not just about adding,it is a part of the show. I never skip openings because of that. (But yes I do end up subconciously whistling or humming them after I listen to them like 20 times)
I hated most of the FMA op/ed, both original and brotherhood.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:42   Link #45
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
A good song always attracts attention.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:44   Link #46
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
A good song always attracts attention.
See Hatsune Miku.

Though, some series turn out to be good - despite having crappy OP/ED themes. While OP/ED can be viewed as book covers, sometimes, it's good not to judge a book by its cover.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:54   Link #47
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
While OP/ED can be viewed as book covers, sometimes, it's good not to judge a book by its cover.
True. Just as I said... a good song attracts attention.. Its a good way to advertise (hoping just to have the first episode to have a high rating, then slams down right after)
Old 2012-03-27, 12:15   Link #48
Rahan

After about 15 years of anime watching, my favorite anime opening remains the Lodoss TV opening and this is the first anime I have ever dropped, so I guess quality openings don't have much of an impact on me.

I usually skip the openings and endings, although once in a while, if I like the song, I can play them several times in a row. But then, it's only to listen to a song I like, it doesn't add anything to the anime itself.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 14:41   Link #49
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

I never skip anime op and eds for the most part. A good OP or good ED just makes the series that much better, at least for me.

Haruhi Suzumiya's combination of OP/ED for season 1 was awesome.

I also enjoy pretty much all OP/EDs by Home Made Kazoku (Thank You in Bleach, Shonen Heart in Eureka 7)
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 16:30   Link #50
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger View Post
Haruhi Suzumiya's combination of OP/ED for season 1 was awesome.
The ED especially, coupled with the dance crazy to Hare Hare Yukai... which I still sadly can't perform... Oh, I have failed Haruhi...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 16:52   Link #51
Ithekro
Space Battleship

The OP sequance for the original Space Battleship Yamato and its sequals was never that impressive to watch....but listening to it is another thing. (The show actaully had a few different versions of the song openning, usually depending on the theme of the episode. This one was one where they were going to blow the crap out of someting. Others were slow sad start, or normal start without the trumpets at the beginning. Others would have the old "Oh No!" type music play before the theme started) I usually skip the ED songs for that show. It was usually a sad type song.

However the new OP sequance for Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is suppose to be storyboarded by Hideaki Anno. So it might be entertaining.
Old 2012-03-27, 19:41   Link #52
Byakou

A good opening song really helps you get into the atmosphere of the show. Although a lot of anime just put a new, popular song as an opening because they've partnered up to promote that song for the artist. Western shows do a better job at choosing an original song that matches the show.

I think ending songs are less important, I don't watch credits unless there's something special (eg. shinigami picture book).
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 19:58   Link #53
GreatTeacherKen

Some series have multiple ending songs and animation so in those cases I watch the endings. I think it's a pretty good idea to have more than one ending since the animators can select an ending song appropriate for a given episode like the second Idolmaster anime though that series has the advantage of being able to select from the many songs from the original game; Besides, it's really jarring to watch a serious episode followed by an upbeat ending theme.

Some anime stick an extra clip after the ending, so I also watch the ending in that case as well.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 22:33   Link #54
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Inuyasha comes to mind. If it could just match its music....
Inuyasha can get tiring but it's not a bad series, in terms of quality and overall things that can make a series "bad".
Initial D now...that's a different story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I hated most of the FMA op/ed, both original and brotherhood.
I would say you're probably in the minority there.
Old 2012-03-27, 22:49   Link #55
speedyexpress48
Speedy The Kid

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Initial D now...that's a different story...
I always say this to anyone wanting to watch ID; watch it for the cars, not the plot

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 23:58   Link #56
Eragon
Bancho Mako best Mako

^ Or the character design.
Quote:
Inuyasha can get tiring but it's not a bad series, in terms of quality and overall things that can make a series "bad".
Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought the characters remained stagnant for almost the entire series. Inuyasha remains a dumbass, denser than lead jerk, Kagome maintains her bitchiness, Miroku remains a douchebag pervert, Shippo remains annoying(actually why the hell is even there?). The plot goes nowhere, always the same. And on a personal note portrayal of my favorite character(Kikyo) as someone evil.
Back on topic, the OPs of Blood+ are quite good even though they don't exactly fit the mood of the show.
Old 2012-03-30, 21:34   Link #57
Salt
the cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
1. Openings and Endings seems like a serious business in anime. Is there a reason to it? If so, how important is it?
As everyone has already mentioned. They set the mood for the show.

When well done, they add a lot to the shows IMHO.

Done badly, they detracts from the shows.

Quote:
2. What makes a good anime OP/ED? Is there a formula to it? How much does it contributes to the anime you watched?
The director/creators just have to have good taste. There is no formula to art, if there was it wouldn't be art, it would be a craft.

Quote:
3. For most anime you watched, do you usually get sick of OP/ED after watching once or twice and decided to skip them, or would you rather watch them all the way?
If I'm marathon watching, I normally skip them after the first few times.

If watching on a weekly basis, it depends on the how much I like the OPs/EDs.
Old 2012-03-31, 02:45   Link #58
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I can't really recall a bad OP that actually detracts from the show though. However, I can say that lots of EDs can do so, like ending an emotional episode with a sudden burst of upbeat music from the ED...bad.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-31, 03:14   Link #59
Eragon
Bancho Mako best Mako

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
like ending an emotional episode with a sudden burst of upbeat music from the ED...bad.
Talking about Clannad AS's ending are we? Yeah I agree, such ED's really waste all the emotions conjured up by that episode.
Old 2012-03-31, 06:54   Link #60
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Talking about Clannad AS's ending are we? Yeah I agree, such ED's really waste all the emotions conjured up by that episode.
Clannad AS's OP was the one best OP ever!!! The lyrics and backgrounds works in harmony... its makes me tear. It shows what you see and you'll feel about the series..

Tags
ending theme, opening theme