AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-31, 21:39   Link #341
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

XBOX ONE VS. PS4 - THE RESULTS - IGN VERSUS

In every category except for the controller, PS4 had about 75-85% of the votes.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:47   Link #342
Tong
Now, come at me

Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
And people revile the publishers/studios for forcing that second layer of DRM on top of steam. Do you know that the Batman games have a 5 machine activation limit even if you uninstal them? And this is true even when bought through Steam. Also: Warner Bros refuses to deactivate machines after 6 months from purchase I believe. I love the games but those are some draconian measures right there.
That's a thing implemented by Warner, and not GFWL

Btw!!!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161334
Old 2013-05-31, 23:23   Link #343
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Spoiler for Tangent. I asked someone they told me I cried a little inside.:

Sony is trying to add too many bells and whistles to make people buy their product. By doing that I'd suspect the hardware isn't up to par... Hopefully that controller monstrosity isn't finalized. Because if it is I'll never escape those dildo controller jokes.
Old 2013-05-31, 23:25   Link #344
Destined_Fate

But so far the hardware is on par with the X1 from what we know already and is actually beating it in some areas.

I predict the PS4 will overall be the stronger machine but not as much of a pain to create games for as the PS3 was when it came out.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 01:56   Link #345
Destined_Fate

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-...One-56264.html

1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.
Old 2013-06-01, 02:03   Link #346
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

I have a feeling there would still be people going "Honto ni honto~~?" at Sony up until E3

But as for me- this is a good enough assurance... Probably.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 02:07   Link #347
Vigo
too lazy to post

Quote:
Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.
This is the tricky part. And the big problem.

It will be like the PS3 where everything is up to the publisher to decide. But the difference now is that there is a bigger chance that the publishers will implement DRM. EA and MS will spearhead this whole thing and more will follow.

That's why Sony has to come out and say no this garbage has no place on our console.
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 02:15   Link #348
Destined_Fate

Pubs that aren't big names wont dare do that and even big names like EA would pause when considering it as it will give THEM bad press, not Sony.
Old 2013-06-01, 02:28   Link #349
Vigo
too lazy to post

They will if they get a chance to and MS keeps the Xbone the way it is. Asian and European pubs will not. Japanese won't unless they want to commit suicide and many European pubs are not really fond of DRM, some like CDProject despise them. But US pubs like EA will if they can. They want that. If the One version has it they might as well have it in the PS4 version. They will get flack either way.

Of course they will have to carefully consider it. No one wants to be the first one. And the Arena debacle showed that even a thing like region lock is enough to upset even the most loyal fanbase.

If Sony simply says fuck you then no pulisher can do anything.
Old 2013-06-01, 02:48   Link #350
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

It will be like the PS3 where everything is up to the publisher to decide. But the difference now is that there is a bigger chance that the publishers will implement DRM. EA and MS will spearhead this whole thing and more will follow.

That's why Sony has to come out and say no this garbage has no place on our console.
I don't see the issue. Vote with our wallets, and the practice will stop. I fail to see the argument that "Everyone would follow EA". EA had been losing money for years, no sane company want to copy them. Just because they are big doesn't mean they are profitable.

Let EA do what they want, the anti-consumer practices does NOT benefit game companies, so why would anyone else want to jump off the cliff with EA? You are assuming there is any benefit to it, when there isn't.
Old 2013-06-01, 03:10   Link #351
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:

You don't get it, it's already like this. See Capcom's Final Fight game, if Activision makes the upcoming Destiny an online pass game... and it's only an online game that's just the same. if a 3rd party wanted to put drm measures in they could do it right now, Sony can't stop that, Nintendo couldn't if 3rd party cared about their platform in the first place.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 03:29   Link #352
Vigo
too lazy to post

I don't see any benefit in it and I absolute agree with the wallet thing. EA can go broke for all I care. The industry is better off without them imo. I also don't believe everyone will follow them as I said above.

However seeing how much this whole DRM thing is being pushed it's clear that there is more than one publisher delusional enough to believe that killing the used market is a good thing for them. I just don't want to see this turn into a oh well EA did it so we might try this as well thing. And I am afraid that games like FIFA and Battlefield will sell even with DRM BS allowing them to get away with it.

Final Fight has DRM because Sony doesn't care what the publisher does. Sony leaves things like DRM and region lock up to the publisher. It's just that the majority doesn't bother with it.

Sony is not Sega or Nintendo. If Sony says no Capcom can do nothing against it. They have just as much leverage against third party pubs as they have against Sony.
Old 2013-06-01, 04:10   Link #353
Drkz

Sony themselves have a market within Japan. They'll probably want to meet the standards of the 2chers before the rest of the world. A PS3 is a niche market. When things like anime and manga get more popular people will get attracted to JRPGS and so forth. Final Fantasy isn't even a good flagship series anymore. All SE is doing is digging a bigger hole.

Capcom has been a dick with the dlc character release. That's just plain ridiculous. Sega's been in the red for awhile I think. Its barely struggling to survive.

Petitions won't work with EA. EA will continue to dick around as long as you pay them. I mean come on. Remember what happened with Sim City? Guess what? People are still buying it. All the so "called" critics aren't helping either. I swear companies like EA probably pay them to give them a high rating.

Sony is more of a console from aboard. Most of the games we want to play never get licensed. Sony should use their dam brain and have jrpg english localized. Most NA developers when they code for the Playstation tend to look like crap. IE: Fall Out 3. I'm not saying all, but a lot of them.
Old 2013-06-01, 05:57   Link #354
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Isn't it the same thing as PS3's region lock thing? The machine doesn't force it, and it's up to publisher. The last time we had one, it's P4A, and seeing people's reaction is enough to make others have second thought about should they follow it or not.

As long as they don't force it on the hardware, it's fine.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:43   Link #355
Drkz

No, PS3 wasn't. You could order a game from nippon and still play it. Only three problems I've seen with the PS3. The ridiculous upload time. The fact in the Fat PS3 it could eat the disc and get stuck and the PS3 isn't invincible it can still die like the xbox 360.

Seems like it MIGHT get region blocked. If it comes to this the only option would be to install the Jap OS. Yes you could do this in the PS3.
Old 2013-06-01, 12:49   Link #356
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
No, PS3 wasn't. You could order a game from nippon and still play it. Only three problems I've seen with the PS3. The ridiculous upload time. The fact in the Fat PS3 it could eat the disc and get stuck and the PS3 isn't invincible it can still die like the xbox 360.

Seems like it MIGHT get region blocked. If it comes to this the only option would be to install the Jap OS. Yes you could do this in the PS3.
Like it was said in this thread Sony left to the publishers the choice of region-locking their games. Luckly for us gamers there's only a single case of a publisher taking up that ability and that was Atlus with Persona 4 Arena.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 14:28   Link #357
TJR

DRM isn't an EA thing. It has been common on PC games for years (Valve Software being one of the trailblazers via Steam......almost every AAA game is now protected by something. The same goes for Japanese PC games), and consoles are catching up now that Internet connectivity is becoming the norm.

Most developers and publishers will probably opt for this protection. After all, they're the ones who asked Microsoft and Sony to implement it, and a platform is dead in the water without strong third party support.

And no, Steam didn't hurt Valve as some predicted. As we've seen, it turned them into a billion dollar company once the masses were converted to it.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 15:03   Link #358
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
DRM isn't an EA thing. It has been common on PC games for years (Valve Software being one of the trailblazers via Steam......almost every AAA game is now protected by something. The same goes for Japanese PC games), and consoles are catching up now that Internet connectivity is becoming the norm.

Most developers and publishers will probably opt for this protection. After all, they're the ones who asked Microsoft and Sony to implement it, and a platform is dead in the water without strong third party support.

And no, Steam didn't hurt Valve as some predicted. As we've seen, it turned them into a billion dollar company once the masses were converted to it.
Most of my Steam games can be rendered DRM free pretty easily, if they aren't already DRM free. It might have something to do with how I have no interest in EA games.

The fact is DRM does not benefit the publisher, they only think it does. Those who are smart enough, avoid DRM because it is silly to waste money on it. DRM costs money AND generate customer complaints, while generating no new revenue.

Everyone could have installed DRM for PS3 if they wanted to. Most did not. I don't know of this magical land that you speak of where publishers think DRM is some essential part of the game. Are we on the same Earth? Or are you on a different dimension where used game sales are also some kind of untapped billions in profit waiting to be siphoned off?

Buisness runs in the real world, not fantasy land. Just because you think everyone would go for draconian DRM for crazy reasons doesn't mean it would happen.

And if DRM is good for business, why is it that EA had been running at a loss? Shouldn't they be swimming in cash?
Old 2013-06-02, 02:30   Link #359
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Most of my Steam games can be rendered DRM free pretty easily
Legally and with full approval of the publisher? PC and mobile games are easily cracked (as are E-books and movies), but that doesn't change the fact that the intent is for these games to be locked down by DRM.

Only a small fraction of Steam games are unprotected.

Quote:
The fact is DRM does not benefit the publisher, they only think it does. Those who are smart enough, avoid DRM because it is silly to waste money on it.
Whether DRM lacks benefit is irrelevant unless content creators change their ways. Rightly or wrongly, most AAA publishers/developers favour some kind of protection. Not many might be brave enough to push an "always online" strategy (although many are waiting for some giant to step forward first), but we can be assured that few believe in leaving the door wide open.

Quote:
Everyone could have installed DRM for PS3 if they wanted to. Most did not. I don't know of this magical land that you speak of where publishers think DRM is some essential part of the game. Are we on the same Earth? Or are you on a different dimension where used game sales are also some kind of untapped billions in profit waiting to be siphoned off?
As I said, they've been waiting for consumers and hardware manufacturers to be on the same page with regard to connectivity. A permanent Internet connection has been the norm on PCs and smartphones. However, it's only now that they're promoting it as a console norm as opposed to an option.

In any case, producers have wanted to kill the resale of games for years. Japanese publishers unsuccessfully lobbied for it during the late 90s when their market began shrinking. Western companies adopted a similar mindset once development costs ballooned. "When" and "how" have been the main questions.

From the perspective of content providers, Microsoft is by no means swimming against the current. By and large, hardware manufacturers, publishers, and developers are united when it comes to the resale issue.

Consequently, MS and Sony have responded accordingly. One has gone all in, leading the charge as desired by publishers/developers. The other opts to pass the buck, providing third parties with the tools to have at it (but without taking on the responsibility of directly enforcing DRM).

Quote:
Buisness runs in the real world, not fantasy land. Just because you think everyone would go for draconian DRM for crazy reasons doesn't mean it would happen.
On the contrary, activation based DRM (no one said anything about "always on") is already passe - it's just catch up time on consoles, not to mention a stopgap until the "Software as a Service" model takes over.

Think Destiny, World of Tanks, or Warframe. Any publisher/developer with money is already investing heavily in this kind of thing.

Quote:
And if DRM is good for business, why is it that EA had been running at a loss? Shouldn't they be swimming in cash?
1. There are so many DRM implementations, and an always-online requirement is only one of them.
2. Plenty of companies who use DRM are swimming in cash, just as plenty others are struggling. There's no clearcut conclusion on the overall business impact.
3. EA's financial issues stem from so many things......struggling MMO, poor investments in new markets they don't understand, shrinkage in AAA game sales.....in all likelihood, they'd be in the hole even without such controversies as Origin (and we know Battlefield still sells like crazy in spite of it) or SimCity.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 02:34   Link #360
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
2. Plenty of companies who use DRM are swimming in cash, just as plenty others are struggling. There's no clearcut conclusion on the overall business impact.
Name them. I struggle to identify anyone beyond EA and Activision.