AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-11, 02:38   Link #441
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
PS4 sounds like a good priced system and decent alternative for a gaming PC. It provides a basic product and doesn't force you to surrender to thing you don't want. Considering that I'm not a online multiplayer guy and don't care for the social features, that PS+ thing doesn't bother me. But I still hope that non subscribers will still have access to freemium games and paid MMO like FFXIV without PS+.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 02:56   Link #442
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Plus is amazing value if you just have a PS3, now if you have a PS4 and PSVITA it's a complete steal. I mean shit just look @ what's coming to Europe PSN this month.

Entering PS Plus in June:
29th May: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
29th May: ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
29th May: Demon Souls
5th June: Rayman Origins
5th June: Coconut Dodge Revitalised

Demon Souls, Ico and SotC, that's just 1 month, that's just $5 if you get yearly subs.

Heck i've signed up for Plus for 3 months once, and made my money back on buying plus discount games for psx etc alone.

$399, no DRM, no online requirement, great PSN Plus, region free and thanks to crossgen a killer first year lineup, yet no slouch in the PS4 only title department at all.

Last edited by Westlo; 2013-06-11 at 05:45.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:10   Link #443
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
damnit, gimme HD ICO and SotC!!
kyp275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:13   Link #444
Sides
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 32
Complete agree that PS+ is value for money, for late adopters.
But games most of the games appeared on the program, I already owned, so it didn't really benefited me.
PS4 might change, since I won't be early adopter this gen, learnt my lesson last time around with PSP, PS3 and 3DS...

Lol, sorry i''m bit late, but that casing looks like shit. At least it is black and will camouflage itself into my TV cabin

Last edited by Sides; 2013-06-11 at 03:24.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 03:50   Link #445
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Plus is amazing value if you just have a PS3, now if you have a PS4 and PSVITA it's a complete steal. I mean shit just look @ what's coming to Europe PSN this month.

Entering PS Plus in June:
29th May: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
29th May: ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
29th May: Demon Souls
5th June: Rayman Origins
5th June: Coconut Dodge Revitalised

Demon Souls, Ico and SotC, that's just 1 month, that's just $5 if you get yearly subs.

Heck i've signed up for Plus for 3 months once, and made my money back on buying plus discount games for psx etc alone., yet no slouch in the PS4 only title department at all.
$399, no DRM, no online requirement, great PSN Plus, region free and thanks to crossgen a killer first year lineup.
Hell, I've had plus for over a year now and have my sub paid through much of 2014. Given what they announced today and the insane amount of games I have in my account due to it I'm pretty sure I'm going to renew again. It's great value for money. I don't even mind if online is part of PS+ on the PS4 if that means that Sony handles the servers and brings them up to par with Microsoft.

Just to give some perspective to folks who don't know what plus brings, here are some games I got through it:
- Little Big Planet 2
- Uncharted 3 (SP)
- Kingdoms of Amalgur
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Ico/Shadow of Colosus HD
- Okami HD
- Catherine
- Dead or Alive 5
- Hitman: Absolution
- Burnout Paradise
- Red Dead Redemption
- Infamous 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Mortal Kombat
- Motorstorm: Apocalypse
- Need for Speed: Shift 2
- Sleeping Dogs
- Batman: Arkham City
- Castle Crashers
- LIMBO

And on the Vita:
- Uncharted
- Rayman Origins
- Mortal Kombat
- Gravity Rush
- Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection
- Jet Set Radio
- LIMBO

And the cloud saves really helped me when I upgraded the hard drive on my PS3. Much faster to just download the saves than transferring them between drives.

It's insane value for money, I just hope they don't mess it up.

EDIT: btw, for those wondering how it works. When the game is available free for plus subscribers you go to the store and add it to your account. The game's now yours to play and re-download as long as your PS+ subscription remains active. When the game is removed from the instant game collection all those who have it on their accounts can re-download them for as long as the sub is active with no extra charge. It's effectively a rental service that rewards you to keep it active and it's a pretty nice one imho.

In case anyone wants to get more technical: the games have an expiration date set at the day your PS+ sub expires. When that time is up the console will prevent you from playing the game until it can check in with Sony's servers to see if you that particular licence was renewed. As far as I know they work perfectly well offline for that whole time. No 24h check-in here
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:02   Link #446
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Complete agree that PS+ is value for money, for late adopters.
But games most of the games appeared on the program, I already owned, so it didn't really benefited me.
PS4 might change, since I won't be early adopter this gen, learnt my lesson last time around with PSP, PS3 and 3DS...

Lol, sorry i''m bit late, but that casing looks like shit. At least it is black and will camouflage itself into my TV cabin
The finish on the PS4 is so superior to the PS3, however. Matte was a great choice, even if it wasn't 100%. The PS3 I always found to be such a shiny, ugly little behemoth. Always covered in obvious finger prints and what not. Matte on the other hand wont be so obviously disgusting.

Sony has run the most impressive conference I've seen thus far here, and I'm so very impressed. As far as the PS4 goes, I think they made some fantastic decisions even down to a charge for online play (the PS+ membership, which as previously discussed is cheap and gets you more than you pay for). More than anything their outreach to indie developers is a fascinating step in a very right direction. The indie bubble is bigger now than it's ever been and it really doesn't show any sign of stopping.

I'm very hopeful that Sony will remain consistent with this conference up to and beyond the release of this console.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 04:13   Link #447
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
The finish on the PS4 is so superior to the PS3, however. Matte was a great choice, even if it wasn't 100%. The PS3 I always found to be such a shiny, ugly little behemoth. Always covered in obvious finger prints and what not. Matte on the other hand wont be so obviously disgusting.
I'll second that. I was a bit skeptical on the PS3 Slim's matte finish but after I bought it I fell in love with it. It looks great and I just wish my other Sony consoles had the same finish instead of the fingerprint magnet that is Sony's Piano Black.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 05:43   Link #448
Chase
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
lol at this.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
No, just because Setsuna is not spamming the scene, killing everybody and not winning all the time doesn't make him a bad pilot.

No, Seed does not define what a Gundam show should be like.

Picking a Gundam over a Princess is not a bad idea, Princess+singing can get you killed
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 06:24   Link #449
Crimrui
Hollow
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River of solitude
Send a message via Yahoo to Crimrui Send a message via Skype™ to Crimrui
I don't care much about the design, except for that gloss black PS3 that I have. Annoying dust magnet. Those fingerprints on almost every touch drive me mad sometimes. ^^'
__________________
Crimrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 06:44   Link #450
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*´∀`)ノ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dollars
I think the design is good. It's pretty unique and simplistic at the same time, using parallelogram(?) shape makes it keeping Sony's trait of using box design but still gives of different vibe from the usual shape.
__________________
その光りは、単なる一筋の光りではない。人類の希望を繋いだ。


Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 07:58   Link #451
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: akihabara :D
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Jack Tretton... the MS god killer. Sounds legit.
__________________

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 08:01   Link #452
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Oh ffs... Elder Scrolls Online for PS4 first THEN PC........ Uuuugh.. there goes my PS4 <3
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 09:34   Link #453
Tong
Now, come at me
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 2014 World cup hoster
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to Tong Send a message via Skype™ to Tong
The simple design has cutting down production costs in mind.
Simple shapes are easier and cheaper to make!

And will the DS4 work on PC? This pad is such a tease.
__________________
Tong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:07   Link #454
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Full tech specs are out and it looks like the hard drive will be a simple laptop 500gb drive just like on the Playstation 3. And yes, it is user replaceable.

As for the bad news: There system only has HDMI out for video (and optical out for sound if you have a nice sound system) and all games will install to disk just like on the XB1. The system will basically do a quick small install and the rest of the game will be installed on the background during normal play.

On the good news front there's an hdmi cable bundle in the box (unlike so many consoles this last generation ) and a mono headset for use with the Dualshock 4 jack. The DS4 supports stereo headsets btw, Sony is just packing in a mono headset to lower costs.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:20   Link #455
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
The way I understand it you can use your own servers for your game on the playstation (current one) so I would assume even if the online part is how people are speculating it won't be all games and it won't be mmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Full tech specs are out and it looks like the hard drive will be a simple laptop 500gb drive just like on the Playstation 3. And yes, it is user replaceable.

As for the bad news: There system only has HDMI out for video (and optical out for sound if you have a nice sound system) and all games will install to disk just like on the XB1. The system will basically do a quick small install and the rest of the game will be installed on the background during normal play.

On the good news front there's an hdmi cable bundle in the box (unlike so many consoles this last generation ) and a mono headset for use with the Dualshock 4 jack. The DS4 supports stereo headsets btw, Sony is just packing in a mono headset to lower costs.
So what do I look for a in a computer monitor that could connect to it? What are the magic gobly-goop-marketing-terms for hdmi support.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:28   Link #456
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
So what do I look for a in a computer monitor that could connect to it? What are the magic gobly-goop-marketing-terms for hdmi support.
HDMI, FullHD and HDCP compliant. That's it. But I wouldn't really go for a computer monitor unless I had some way to get sound out of it (or a receiver with support for optical-in)
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:46   Link #457
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
HDMI, FullHD and HDCP compliant. That's it. But I wouldn't really go for a computer monitor unless I had some way to get sound out of it (or a receiver with support for optical-in)
Oh right because the hdmi is where the audio goes through. You said it has "optical out for sound if you have a nice sound system," so need anything specific sound system for it? I guess getting a monitor with integrated sound works too.

Also it's because I don't have interest in Tvs, but can always use more computer monitors. I just need it for very specific non-pc games.
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 15:53   Link #458
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Oh right because the hdmi is where the audio goes through. You said it has "optical out for sound if you have a nice sound system," so need anything specific sound system for it? I guess getting a monitor with integrated sound works too.

Also it's because I don't have interest in Tvs, but can always use more computer monitors. I just need it for very specific non-pc games.
Optical is mostly used by high end sound systems, usually for folks who take sound quality serious but you can find some of those "home cinema kits" with optical in as well.

Or you can do what I did and get a tv anyway. I bought an LG "MonitorTV" for 150€ recently. 22", 1080p and IPS (the crappy 6-bit one but at least I get decent viewing angles).
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 16:58   Link #459
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
This is the full version...
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 18:24   Link #460
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
http://www.gamefront.com/sony-third-...es-online-only

Quote:
Sony: Third-Party DRM Refers to Playing Used Games Online Only

This morning, there were some apparent cracks in the strong positions Sony staked out at their press conference last night.

During an interview with GameTrailers, Jack Tretton said that, “The DRM decision is going to have to be answered by the third parties, it’s not something we’re going to control, or dictate, or mandate, or implement.” The internet immediately exploded, with many on Twitter accusing Sony of walking back their statements from the presser last night.

Rather than speculate, we went directly to Sony to find out what’s going on. Turns out, it’s a very similar system to what’s in place on the PS3 now. According to Dan Race, Senior Director, Corporate Communications for Sony, Tretton’s statements were referring specifically to playing used games online. He told me,

The Online Pass program for PlayStation first-party games will not continue on PlayStation 4. Similar to PS3, we will not dictate the online used game strategy (the ability to play used games online) of its publishing partners. As announced last night, PS4 will not have any gating restrictions for used disc-based games. When a gamer buys a PS4 disc they have right to use that copy of the game, so they can trade-in the game at retail, sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever.

This is good news for gamers, indeed. In a nutshell, you can buy a used single-player game for the PS4 and play it all you want. If you want to go online with it, you may have to deal with some sort of publisher-determined DRM, be it an Online Pass or whatever.

I think we can put our pitchforks down for now.
So the restrictions are far lesser than what is found on XBone, and from what I understand, it is what is now found on PS3 in terms of 3rd party used game restrictions. Also, keep in mind, there will be many 3rd party PS4 games where publishers will choose to not have restrictions placed on.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.