AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-18, 01:39   Link #741
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's not about the Cell's power, it's all about its architecture. It uses 7x SPEs at 3.2GHz, and any emulator will have to emulate all of those cores simultaneously to the PS3's specs. The only thing that even comes close to this are Power PC processors, but even they are very different.

Sales of HD collections will only make much difference when the install base is there. This usually doesn't happen until 3 years after launch. However, backwards compatibility will help to lock in the previous generation's users and pull in those who skipped out on the older exclusives and it can help ease the pain of a weak launch library. This has potential from day one, and no console manufacturer will willingly give up such a key competitive advantage - it's not every day that your competitors will gift you an entire console generation.
It's doable, the latest progress i heard so far is that the PS3 emulator are able to run it's bios. This is done by outsiders that have to reverse engineer the PS3. If Sony decides to, I m sure they will be able to create a software emulator easily if they haven't already done it.

As for day one potential, there's no doubt there's benefit there but the question is whether it is enough to warrant the development cost, loss of sales of older console and future repurchase of older titles in digital form that's DRM locked.

Neither MS nor Sony is actively pushing this feature and there's barely any media/forum mention of this issue led me to believe it's no longer a game changer this generation as it was last gen.
Old 2013-07-18, 02:18   Link #742
holybell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
It's doable, the latest progress i heard so far is that the PS3 emulator are able to run it's bios. This is done by outsiders that have to reverse engineer the PS3. If Sony decides to, I m sure they will be able to create a software emulator easily if they haven't already done it.

As for day one potential, there's no doubt there's benefit there but the question is whether it is enough to warrant the development cost, loss of sales of older console and future repurchase of older titles in digital form that's DRM locked.

Neither MS nor Sony is actively pushing this feature and there's barely any media/forum mention of this issue led me to believe it's no longer a game changer this generation as it was last gen.
I doubt the emulator can run any games that make use of the hardware SPE via software emulation effectively.
Old 2013-07-18, 12:04   Link #743
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
:O Makes my trophy level 12 look like nothing... excuse me while I go cry in a corner while hugging my PS3 and games.
and then realize you don't really care.
Old 2013-07-18, 16:20   Link #744
Chaos2Frozen
:)

Battlestar Galactica writer working with Sony Santa Monica

Quote:
Battlestar Galactica writer Michael Angeli is working with Sony Santa Monica on a new non-God of War game.
It's totally not God of War.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 18:38   Link #745
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Kratos in space, maybe?XD

A Sci-fi space opera from Sony Santa Monica would be awesome.
Old 2013-07-18, 19:50   Link #746
Chaos2Frozen

In other news as well, CAPCOM just announced a new Strider game at Comic con.

Unfortunately it's being developed by Double Helix.

But at least its on every platform...!

...Except for Wii U....>_>

Source: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=627691

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/capcom-an...der-early-2014
Old 2013-07-19, 08:18   Link #747
4Tran

Quote:
That tells us that it's not doable. PCs use 3+ GHz CPUs to emulate the PS3's 3.2GHz SPEs, and they still can't run games. The PS4 CPU cores run at just 1.8GHz, so it's literally impossible to match the clock cycles. The only way a PS4 would be able to run PS3 games is if you rewrote them.

Quote:
The reason there isn't very much mention of it is because both major consoles are in the same boat, so there isn't any competitive advantage either way.
Old 2013-07-19, 19:17   Link #748
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
So much for the PS4 getting a fighting game exclusive...for the possible time being.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/j...0-and-pc-only/

This sucks because the SpyBox get Killer Instinct at launch and the PS fans won't get a single fighter. This could take awhile...
Old 2013-07-19, 19:24   Link #749
Chaos2Frozen

I heard that PS4 had compatibility issues with certain fighting sticks...
Old 2013-07-20, 03:40   Link #750
4Tran

Quote:
I heard that PS4 had compatibility issues with certain fighting sticks...
Any compatibility issues would have to be introduced by the stick's manufacturer - as long as they write drivers for the PS4, they should be useable. However, it's such a niche market that if the fighting community just use their old sticks, then the manufacturers will have no more business.
Old 2013-07-20, 03:53   Link #751
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Except Stig's project by the A-Team of Santa Monica is a completely new I.P.... Ascension was by the B-Team of Santa Monica, "the elites" wanted to move on from God of War, same deal happened with Naughty Dog and Uncharted.

Naughty Dog A-Team - Uncharted > Uncharted 2 > The Last of Us > PS4 game
Naughty Dog B-Team - Uncharted 3 > PS4 game (prob Uncharted 4)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 22:16   Link #752
Chaos2Frozen

The full IGN interview with Mark Cerny:

Old 2013-07-20, 22:41   Link #753
Reality_Breaker

So since the PS4 also can potentially do Cloud computing and since Gaikai is (from what i've read from comments and articles) the best cloud service, so why is MS, everyone and their grandmas saying that the ''infinite power of MS cloud'' (which makes it sound like it runs on magic and lepreachun blood) can make a game a game better while making it sound like it's a Quantum Computer? Seriously I don't know anything except the very basics and even I think that sounds like bullcrap, also if their cloud can do it why are people saying Gaikais cloud can't, just because it's first priority for now is videogame streaming? Did I miss something? Can't Sony and Gaikai use part of the cloud for streaming and another for cloud computing?
Old 2013-07-20, 23:34   Link #754
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
So since the PS4 also can potentially do Cloud computing and since Gaikai is (from what i've read from comments and articles) the best cloud service, so why is MS, everyone and their grandmas saying that the ''infinite power of MS cloud'' (which makes it sound like it runs on magic and lepreachun blood) can make a game a game better while making it sound like it's a Quantum Computer? Seriously I don't know anything except the very basics and even I think that sounds like bullcrap, also if their cloud can do it why are people saying Gaikais cloud can't, just because it's first priority for now is videogame streaming? Did I miss something? Can't Sony and Gaikai use part of the cloud for streaming and another for cloud computing?
Cerny already said in the interview that it is not possible to use the cloud for improving graphics processing. Sony isn't making the crazy claim because they know it is bullshit. And if Cerny said publicly that it is not possible, the guy who oversaw PS4's production, the rest of Sony are unlikely to disagree.
Old 2013-07-21, 00:36   Link #755
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

All the 'cloud computing' features touted by MS/Respawn/etc thus far are all stuff that has been done by current gen consoles. Persistent worlds, ghost-AI, low-priority physics computation... all of this are pretty much stuff being done by MMOs since... forever.

What MS seems to actually offer as an actual competitive advantage over PS4 is:

1. cheaper dedicated-server rent ( leveraging existing Azure servers )
2. ability to virtualise said-servers globally across all regions. ( which means that as long as you're using MS servers... technically the playing field should be level across all regions because MS has servers around the world. )
3. deeper integration of the ability to off-load cloud computing via the XB1 SDK compared to the PS4 SDK ( which is apparently prioritizing asynchronous G-GPU computing )

The 1st 2 points are plus-points for developers, not for consumers. It theoretically allows developers to reduce their development cost by having access to cheaper dedicated servers, but it's not going to give us cheaper games. As for the 2nd point, it remains to be seen how effective this is, but it's a potential to allow cross-region online gaming be better, by not having situations where the US players benefit more compared to Asian players. Once more, this is something we will not see until it's actually experienced, and many large companies, even with their huge server farms, have failed to deliver cross-region play well.

The 3rd point is where it 'may' potentially benefit consumers. We will not know until the NDA is off, and developers can candidly talk about the underlying advantages of each SDK, but it seems that XB1 may have an advantage of being able to code 'cloud computing' more effectively than PS4's SDK.

However, this means very little in regards to what games can actually do. Ultimately, even if it's easier, anything XB1 can do... the PS4 will be able to do as well in terms of 'cloud computing.' This is because 'cloud computing', by its nature, is extremely restrictive towards what can be done via the cloud.

Until the day arrives when cloud computing can process real-time physics, shadows, graphics as good as a high-speed memory bus, 'cloud computing' is completely pointless.

When that day comes, consoles are pretty much dead anyway, since everything can be done via the internet without ever needing dedicated hardware.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 01:09   Link #756
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
All the 'cloud computing' features touted by MS/Respawn/etc thus far are all stuff that has been done by current gen consoles. Persistent worlds, ghost-AI, low-priority physics computation... all of this are pretty much stuff being done by MMOs since... forever.

What MS seems to actually offer as an actual competitive advantage over PS4 is:

1. cheaper dedicated-server rent ( leveraging existing Azure servers )
2. ability to virtualise said-servers globally across all regions. ( which means that as long as you're using MS servers... technically the playing field should be level across all regions because MS has servers around the world. )
3. deeper integration of the ability to off-load cloud computing via the XB1 SDK compared to the PS4 SDK ( which is apparently prioritizing asynchronous G-GPU computing )

The 1st 2 points are plus-points for developers, not for consumers. It theoretically allows developers to reduce their development cost by having access to cheaper dedicated servers, but it's not going to give us cheaper games. As for the 2nd point, it remains to be seen how effective this is, but it's a potential to allow cross-region online gaming be better, by not having situations where the US players benefit more compared to Asian players. Once more, this is something we will not see until it's actually experienced, and many large companies, even with their huge server farms, have failed to deliver cross-region play well.

The 3rd point is where it 'may' potentially benefit consumers. We will not know until the NDA is off, and developers can candidly talk about the underlying advantages of each SDK, but it seems that XB1 may have an advantage of being able to code 'cloud computing' more effectively than PS4's SDK.

However, this means very little in regards to what games can actually do. Ultimately, even if it's easier, anything XB1 can do... the PS4 will be able to do as well in terms of 'cloud computing.' This is because 'cloud computing', by its nature, is extremely restrictive towards what can be done via the cloud.

Until the day arrives when cloud computing can process real-time physics, shadows, graphics as good as a high-speed memory bus, 'cloud computing' is completely pointless.

When that day comes, consoles are pretty much dead anyway, since everything can be done via the internet without ever needing dedicated hardware.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying it for me.
Old 2013-07-21, 05:22   Link #757
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-07-21, 06:13   Link #758
Chaos2Frozen

"Yes, we've made the assumption that you are hardcore enough to end up with both eventually..."

lolz
Old 2013-07-21, 19:42   Link #759
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Not me, not this time around. The focus on ads was the straw that broke the camel's back, as part of the reason why I almost don't watch regular TV (outside of watching sports here and there bonding with my pops) is because I hate wasting time on them.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 19:56   Link #760
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Please never link Zoomingames crap here. All of their videos are terrible... ESPECIALLY the top 5 crap...