AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-17, 12:24   Link #1061
4Tran

The way I see it, there are currently four main regions for gaming consoles. Here's how I see them stacking up for the new systems:

1. North America - Currently, it's Xbox territory, but the PS4 has grabbed hardcore gamers and early adopters more than the Xbone has. This should be the most important and closest battleground. If Sony wins here (as it seems will be the case), then Microsoft's position will be in big trouble.

2. Europe - This is, and has been Sony territory, and the only thing that's going to change is that Sony's strength here will grow. Microsoft's inability to release the Xbone in the Low Countries and Scandinavia basically gifts these territories to the competition. Even the UK that was dominated by the 360 looks increasingly PS4-friendly.

3. Japan - Microsoft and the Xbone are irrelevant here.

4. Developing countries - Most of these countries aren't going to be a major factor in terms of new console sales. Instead, they're more likely to pick up older consoles like the 360 or PS3. Overall, these countries aren't important for sales early in a console's life, but they can help give a console a big tail. Sony is the main player here, and it's the reason why PS2 games are still being made.

The sort-of fifth region is China. Since about 2000, game consoles have been banned from sale, but that policy is changing. It's an extremely competitive market, but it's also potentially very lucrative. I don't think that any console manufacturer is ready to compete in China, but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
At the end of the day the PS3 has outsold the 360 in Europe and will outsell the Wii when all is said and done, probably by next x-mas, Gt6, plus 2 more CODs and 2 more FIFAs and another price drop will do that. (And the 360 will go past the Wii this xmas in America)
To be fair, FIFA 14 is going to be available on all relevant consoles. A new* PS2 game in Twenty-Fourteen!

* For a given definition of new.

I suspect that the PS3 will get a long tail - the PS2 sold some 50 million units after the PS3 launched. While the PS3 will certainly not match that, I imagine another 20-25 million units is doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And yeah once again this gen it's going to be much easier to multiplat just xbone and ps4 and ignore the far weaker and differently designed/architect on the Wii U. And the Wii U's sales are an absolute joke, worse than the Dreamcast before it got discontinued.
Given the architectural similarity between the Xbone and PS4, I wonder how rare third-party exclusives are going to be. If making Xbone versions is relatively trivial, then I'd imagine that even niche Japanese developers will release on both platforms. If anything, this will hurt the likelihood of Wii U versions.
Old 2013-09-17, 13:05   Link #1062
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The way I see it, there are currently four main regions for gaming consoles. Here's how I see them stacking up for the new systems:

1. North America - Currently, it's Xbox territory, but the PS4 has grabbed hardcore gamers and early adopters more than the Xbone has. This should be the most important and closest battleground. If Sony wins here (as it seems will be the case), then Microsoft's position will be in big trouble.
Actually I'd correct you on china. Sure its banned, but they still can buy it. China has one of the world's biggest black markets not to mention almost everything is made in china. I'm pretty sure people sneak consoles off the production line time to time to sell them off book.

From what I've see in NA. People either only have a xbox or they have both. Rarely you only see someone with only a playstation. I hugely doubt even with all the random bs microsoft has been pulling that people wouldn't buy a xbox. Xbox equates to majority of all the FPS games. Most people who buy a xbox play COD, Battlefield or Halo. Sonys main strength is its eastern library of JRPGS unless they find a way to let developers port these over cheaply they'll never fully succeed in the west. I mean when you had exclusives like FF and Metal Gear go to the Xbox you know sony is on shaky water.
Old 2013-09-17, 13:14   Link #1063
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Actually I'd correct you on china. Sure its banned, but they still can buy it. China has one of the world's biggest black markets not to mention almost everything is made in china. I'm pretty sure people sneak consoles off the production line time to time to sell them off book.
Yeah, it is always a paradox that China was banning something that they are the chief exporter of. It was simply impossible to prevent the consoles from being sold when they are home-made.
Old 2013-09-17, 13:27   Link #1064
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
I mean when you had exclusives like FF and Metal Gear go to the Xbox you know sony is on shaky water.
Actually it just meant that budgets ballooned so much that it's no longer feasible to ignore half the market. That's what happened to Metal Gear and Final Fantasy.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:29   Link #1065
4Tran

Quote:
Being available on the black market is a farcry from being an actual retail product. We're looking at a potential 100 million unit market as opposed to one that barely exists. The only reason why I wouldn't posit this as an automatic game changer is because I don't know if game consoles can gain any traction at all in the face of competition from PC-gaming and the like.

Quote:
From what I've see in NA. People either only have a xbox or they have both. Rarely you only see someone with only a playstation. I hugely doubt even with all the random bs microsoft has been pulling that people wouldn't buy a xbox. Xbox equates to majority of all the FPS games. Most people who buy a xbox play COD, Battlefield or Halo. Sonys main strength is its eastern library of JRPGS unless they find a way to let developers port these over cheaply they'll never fully succeed in the west. I mean when you had exclusives like FF and Metal Gear go to the Xbox you know sony is on shaky water.
That may have been true of the PS360 era, but new consoles means that it's a new ballgame. Right now, word on the street is that pre-orders for the new consoles are anywhere from even to the PS4 having a 3:2 to 2:1 advantage in North America. Moreover, the PS4 is likely to have more stock from launch to Christmas, so it's going to have a lot more momentum than the Xbone for the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Actually it just meant that budgets ballooned so much that it's no longer feasible to ignore half the market. That's what happened to Metal Gear and Final Fantasy.
Right now, gaining exclusive titles is either a matter of funding or development support or paying for exclusivity. Sony's current strategy is to spend this money and effort on either smaller titles or new IPs. The lack of exclusivity for Final Fantasy and the like isn't all that important anyways - fans of the series were going to gravitate towards the Playstation platform anyways, and that's where the bulk of the sales would be.
Old 2013-09-17, 14:50   Link #1066
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Note that even before the pre-E3 announcement, PS4 actually have leading pre-order number.

Quote:
Sony spent its entire PS3 lifetime to build up the 1st party studios, and it pay off now. With the increasing in games developing budget, no one would bother with paying for exclusive big titles. Even with MS, you can see people have learned about the timed exclusive and many are holding off with the Titanfall temptation. Remember the backlash regarding Tales of Vesperia? People keep calling every JRPG appears on the 360 is "beta version" after that.

Currently, they are working on 2 big JRPG projects, and one of them are stated as "Final Fantasy rival scale". If it's success, then it will be another big franchise for Sony.
Old 2013-09-17, 18:14   Link #1067
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Sony spent its entire PS3 lifetime to build up the 1st party studios, and it pay off now. With the increasing in games developing budget, no one would bother with paying for exclusive big titles. Even with MS, you can see people have learned about the timed exclusive and many are holding off with the Titanfall temptation. Remember the backlash regarding Tales of Vesperia? People keep calling every JRPG appears on the 360 is "beta version" after that.

Currently, they are working on 2 big JRPG projects, and one of them are stated as "Final Fantasy rival scale". If it's success, then it will be another big franchise for Sony.
You don't play a eastern title on a xbox. The same way you wouldn't want to play a western title on a playstation. You don't need to be console biased to realize this. Game developer themselves are extremely biased. There is a difference between a JRPG and a JRPG oriented for western markets. Square Enix has ended up being the butt end of many jokes in the east. The ever failing series of mmos. More than anything they come out with disappointment after disappointment. They stopped making games for fans. They are trying to dictate what the fans want. This is what bit nintendo in the ass. PR wise this is what bit xbox in the ass. But in the case of microsoft we won't know til the sales. The north american audience has never cared of jrpgs, they mainly prefer sand boxes and shooters. Yes, we are more oriented to blood and gore than fantasy and grinding. So unless Sony decides to cough up money to brainwash future generation of gamers, the ongoing trend will remain.

The only problem I see with Titanfall is these type of games need a threshold of a certain amount of players. Especially when consoles become a option. Once these thresholds are no longer met the servers get axed. Titanfall is a very big ambition. If they can kick it off good for them, but it competes with other well known shooters like Halo, CoD & Battlefield. Too bad its a PC/Xbox exclusive. Half of me would would think Titanfall could do pretty well in japan even though its a shooter. I mean Japs are always crazy for mechs. But the other half is skeptical, since Microsoft probably signed a death license, and japan is not really known as the land of shooters, theres always the possibility of the PSN being down for months on end again.
Old 2013-09-17, 18:48   Link #1068
4Tran

Quote:
I thought that that was still just a rumor. Has these games been confirmed?

Quote:
You don't play a eastern title on a xbox. The same way you wouldn't want to play a western title on a playstation. You don't need to be console biased to realize this.
People do both, especially shooters and the like on the PS3. Microsoft consoles aren't any more predisposed to playing Western games than are Sony consoles for Japanese games. The most that you can say is that Western companies tended to use the 360 as the lead platform because it was easier to design for. And that Japanese developers prefer the PS3 because the 360 is dead in Japan. With new consoles, these rules of thumb no longer need apply.

Quote:
Half of me would would think Titanfall could do pretty well in japan even though its a shooter. I mean Japs are always crazy for mechs. But the other half is skeptical, since Microsoft probably signed a death license, and japan is not really known as the land of shooters, theres always the possibility of the PSN being down for months on end again.
This isn't entirely true. Call of Duty is actually fairly popular in Japan, just not to the same degree as the West. Microsoft's problem in Japan is that their gaming reputation is mud, and they currently only sell about a thousand 360s per month.
Old 2013-09-17, 20:28   Link #1069
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
You don't play a eastern title on a xbox. The same way you wouldn't want to play a western title on a playstation.
I'm sorry, but you must be ignorant to think like that . Remember the initial impression regarding the PS3? IT HAD NO GAME. Most of the JRPG at that time, even visual novel/shmup were on the Xbox 360. Heck, remember IdolM@ster? Dream Club? If it's not because of Sony's quick action, the generation could belong to MS already. I cringed the whole year before Sony get their shit together.

The current MS is Sony 2006.

And you may want to look up for CoD's sales in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I thought that that was still just a rumor. Has these games been confirmed?
Not confirmed officially, though. Just an insider info. He's consistent in his leak (KH3 at E3, he told us 2 months prior to E3, for example), so I'm willing to place my bet on him.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:08   Link #1070
4Tran

I think that the PS4 is actually going to launch with more shooters than the Xbone will.

Quote:
Not confirmed officially, though. Just an insider info. He's consistent in his leak (KH3 at E3, he told us 2 months prior to E3, for example), so I'm willing to place my bet on him.
That's what I figured. If these games exist, and they're far enough along, Sony will probably announce them at TGS. That would be tomorrow. Although I wonder if the world is ready for "Legend of Dragoon: Dragoon Harder".
Old 2013-09-17, 23:16   Link #1071
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Tomorrow would be the TGS's keynote, though. I don't really think they will announce anything big for that. If you expect anything new game related material, better waiting for the pre-TGS conference, which will be open in the next 5 or 6 hours (I'm not sure, it's 17:00 in Japan).

[edit]
I'm not familiar with gamespot layout. Where do I access to the livestream?
Old 2013-09-17, 23:19   Link #1072
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

A JRPG that rivals Final Fantasy in this day and age? Is it possible?

I would imagine that it would have to appeal more towards the western audience with customizable characters, open world, and dark gritty aesthetics.... You know, like Dark/Demon Souls
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 02:49   Link #1073
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I just hope they learned from White Knight Chronicles. I REALLY wanted to like the game (for obvious reasons why ), but the battle system felt so poor in that it needed next to no strategy.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 04:56   Link #1074
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Lolwut?
Quote:
PS4 Asia

Hong Kong
Taiwan
South Korea
Singapore

DEC 2013
[edit]
Nothing surprising, aside the Asia gets PS4 before Japan.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

PS4 Launch titles:

Images

I take back my statement. Should have waited for the main TGS conference for some surprises instead.

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 2013-09-18 at 05:07.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 05:05   Link #1075
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

That's not so bad
Old 2013-09-18, 10:35   Link #1076
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
But the PS2 hype was big enough without Sony talk.
No, it wasn't. Everyone was going ga-ga over the Dreamcast until Sony held a press conference where they told everyone that it was 500 times more powerful than the Dreamcast. Suddenly the Dreamcast didn't matter anymore and the PlayStation 2 was king.
Quote:
Saying the PS2 is responsible for the death of DC is stupid to put it lightly. Sega is fully responsible starting long before the DC with releasing stupid add-ons, the entire Saturn fiasco, pissing contest with EA and last but not least posting losses and more losses until they simply could no longer sustain the DC even if they wanted to. The PS2 was just the final nail on a coffin Sega created themselves.
Both are responsible. Saying Sega was fully responsible is as stupid as saying that only the PS2 was responsible.

By the way, the pissing contest with EA wasn't Sega's fault. Those sleazy bastards wanted exclusivity on Dreamcast sports games, and Sega, having just purchased a company that delivered good sports games, didn't want to go further than giving exclusivity to EA and their own company, which is perfectly understandable.
Old 2013-09-18, 10:38   Link #1077
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Lolwut?

[edit]
Images

PS4 Launch titles:

Images

I take back my statement. Should have waited for the main TGS conference for some surprises instead.
...........No 2K Sports games
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 12:50   Link #1078
4Tran

Quote:
I think this is indicative of how uncompetitive Sony thinks that Japan is going to be. The Xbone is already dead there even though it probably won't even release until May 2014, and we've already had months of the Wii U killing itself.

The PS4 launching in Asian territories in December 2013 is, in itself, a very interesting move. It makes sense in that only a small amount of supply is needed for a launch and that it's good to steal a march on Microsoft. But the Xbone is probably not going to launch in those countries until November 2014, so it seems like an unnecessarily early move. I think that Sony might be laying the grounds for a launch in China - and that's a very very scary proposition.
Old 2013-09-18, 20:09   Link #1079
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Heads up- 20 minutes till Sony's TGS conference.
Old 2013-09-18, 20:29   Link #1080
Destined_Fate

Hey, isn't DW8 + XL Bundle launching on the PS4 for Japan?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote