AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-17, 15:22   Link #1481
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That game isn't indicative of a move to PC. It was a PC game first, almost a decade ago, that got ported to PSP. Falcom has long since jumped ship.
The shape of PC gaming in Japan is already well understood by Japanese developers, so the historical presence of Falcom or what have you in this platform is unimportant. What is important is that they've been discovering a market for JRPGs on Steam, mostly in the form of the Ys games, Carpe Fulgur's offerings, Dark Souls and so forth. If an ambitious localization project like Trails in the Skies turns out well, then other Japanese developers might start looking seriously at the PC as a viable platform.

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Also, most of Japanese games won't ever see PC release, so I don't really know why would people have to choose one over others.
will still be true though.
Old 2014-01-17, 16:36   Link #1482
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Japanese developers just don't work on PC, so it'll be a long time before a significant number of titles show up there. There are some titles moving to PC, but I doubt that it'll ever be a majority of titles. We can only hope that Trails in the Sky does well on Steam.
There has been a notable shift toward PC gaming from Japanese companies in the last few years. PC and console development have merged considerably (most titles are created on PC hardware now and then shifted over to console dev kits during development), and the PC market is quite healthy now thanks to efforts from companies like Steam.

While I don't expect that every Japanese developer or game will offer a PC version, or go exclusively PC, I do think the trend of seeing multiplatforms and doujin titles being offered on PC will continue to accelerate. It's no longer a market they can afford to ignore simply on the basis of it being smaller in Japan than everywhere else. Not with the traditional console business undergoing a rough transition or potential obsolescence due to emerging markets and technologies like smart phones/tablets. It's important to note that the reason companies like Square and Capcom are branching out to markets like iOS and PC has a lot to do with the damage the HD arms race and emerging markets have damaged the traditional console market and the need to secure revenue wherever they can. This is not including some boneheaded decisions which have burned those companies, of course.

As for the Nintendo discussion, I'd rather we shift that over to the Wii U thread.
Old 2014-01-17, 21:41   Link #1483
Lexxus
No you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
stats show that the ps4 has sold over a million more than xb1 since release.
Yeah.

my anime list kuroneko my manga list
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 01:25   Link #1484
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
While I don't expect that every Japanese developer or game will offer a PC version, or go exclusively PC, I do think the trend of seeing multiplatforms and doujin titles being offered on PC will continue to accelerate.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all doujin titles are released for the PC only up until now?
Old 2014-01-18, 03:23   Link #1485
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Yeah.

official sources put ps4 at a total of 4.2 million sold while xb1 has a total of 3 million sold.
Old 2014-01-18, 03:35   Link #1486
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
official sources put ps4 at a total of 4.2 million sold while xb1 has a total of 3 million sold.
That NDP is for NA only.

World wide PS4 is out selling XB1... Well, World Wide = Europe at this point only.

But I'm sure Brazil is XBox territory... Lol.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:00   Link #1487
Lexxus
No you don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That NDP is for NA only.
To be more precise, they track US, Canada, New Zealand and Australia but the graph I posted was just for US hardware sales LTD. That's why PS4 is just 2m while XB1 is 1.8m.

Old 2014-01-19, 14:31   Link #1488
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Just completed Killzone Shadow Fall today. I must admit I'm surprised that I got around to completely it even though the first mission didn't leave a good impression on me. I like the stages where it's smaller and more narrow- less chance of buggers sneaking up on me. Depending on your perspective, you may or may not like the lack of hand holding, but I really wish they made your objectives a lot clearer. I guess it's good that they let you pick how you want to approach an area, but considering I'm not that good with this genre, I ended up just shooting my way through, but I guess others could appreciate it better.

I figure I use this to brush up my FPS skills for when Destiny eventually comes out.

EDIT:

Oh and also, why do all shooter games have a lack of good boss battles =_= the final stage is just generic waves of enemies.
Old 2014-01-19, 15:02   Link #1489
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all doujin titles are released for the PC only up until now?
Yes, but not really through platforms like Steam. GOG has a few I think, but otherwise you kind of have to know about them and hunt them down. The "indie" community in Japan is very different from the western indie community. Here's a fairly recent article about the subject. There's other articles floating around about the scene over there as well.
Old 2014-01-20, 06:09   Link #1490
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But I'm sure Brazil is XBox territory... Lol.
Nah, we manage to import just fine. Fsck PS4K, but no XBone, either.

BetoJR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 16:57   Link #1491
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Playstation 4 controller wear and thread + saving issues?

Anyone here have one and can comment on the validity?
Old 2014-01-22, 17:48   Link #1492
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

I don't know about the saving issues, but on neogaf the analog stick problem had a number of complaints.

Personally I have no problems but I also haven't played as much.
Old 2014-01-22, 18:05   Link #1493
Lexxus
No you don't

I had a problem with the saving issues. It was CE-34878-0. Good thing I was able to get my game and saves.

Old 2014-01-22, 23:08   Link #1494
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Well I can validate that the wear on analog sticks might be something to be concerned about. Only my left analog has a small flab of rubber peeling, I guess its because that's the one I push on the most with my thumb. But seriously, I don't game 24/7 and I treat my controller pretty well, I'm surprised how the rubber could suddenly peel off. That has never happened to me before with my 360 controller or Dualshock 3, and I've had more hours with those controllers.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 19:01   Link #1495
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

First "Basement Crawl" gameplay footage, also known as New Age Bomberman

Exclusive to PS4.

Old 2014-01-24, 16:35   Link #1496
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Sony teases ‘slim’ PlayStation announcement

Quote:
“Following the biggest launch in PlayStation history,” the invite reads, “join us for an introduction to the slimmest.”
Old 2014-01-24, 17:23   Link #1497
Lexxus
No you don't

Fck. Looks like Canada won't be included for the PS Now this coming summer :/

Old 2014-01-31, 15:55   Link #1498
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

PS4: Here’s What 13 Japanese Developers Think, as They Also Tease Unannounced Games and More

Quote:
The developers were asked the six questions listed below, and under the list you can find a summary of their answers.
  1. What interests you the most personally about the PS4 console or its features?
  2. What are the greatest benefits of the PS4 for its users?
  3. What are the greatest benefits of the PS4 for developers?
  4. Would you like to use any of the features you mentioned in your answer to question 1?
  5. Please mention up to three PS4 titles that interest you.
  6. About your own titles, what’s your message to the readers?
Too many to copy over, but I like these ones.

Quote:
Idea Factory (Compile Heart) Game Development Division Director Takahisa Kochiwa
  1. Remote play and uploading video with the share button.
  2. Reduced wait times for start up and downloads, and increased graphical capabilities.
  3. The increased specs augment the creativity power. He wonders if he can make prettier girls than ever, though ultra realistic graphics don’t fit the style of his company, so he wants to design at his own pace.
  4. Both remote play and the share button.
  5. Final Fantasy XV, Nobunaga’s Ambition: Creation, Kingdom Hearts III
  6. “Although we talked briefly about a new PS4 title before, it’s an RPG. It’s also a Compile Heart title. Since there’s an unannounced title besides Neptunia for PS Vita and Moero Chronicle, please look forward to it.”
Quote:
Idea Factory (Compile Heart) Game Development Division Neptunia Series Producer Naoko Mizuno
  1. Touch pad on the controller, share button and remote play.
  2. The large increase in specs, that can also increase the enjoyment of games.
  3. The higher specs lead to less limits to what you can achieve.
  4. Interacting with a cute character with the touch pad and using the share button is planned.
  5. Final Fantasy XV.
  6. “Thank you for supporting Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 and Noire Gekishin Black Heart on PS Vita! Please wait for the next Neptunia title. We’ll tell you about it as soon as possible.”
Quote:
Nippon Ichi Software Producer Ryoji Yanase
  1. The share button, the camera and the touch pad.
  2. The network makes it more fun to connect, share and compete.
  3. The ability to deliver a new gaming experience to the users.
  4. He thinks it’d be really cool to provide a new gaming experience connected with smartphone. Not just using it as a second monitor, but also creating experiences like a game in which the story begins by picking up a smartphone someone dropped.
  5. The Playroom.
  6. “Please wait until we can make a new announcement.”
Quote:
Regista Producer, Director and Planner Takumi Nakazawa
  1. The share button ad from the development side, the ability to block spoilers. The speaker on the DualShock 4 and the second screen feature on Vita and smartphones.
  2. It’s hard to pick one between the many features of the PS4, but the most relevant thing is how they’re integrated in one hardware. They can probably created a new way of gaming for the user.
  3. He doesn’t know yet at this stage. Performance has been increased and many features have been added. He wants to explore new approaches to tying fun and innovation in the approach to the user and to business as he develops in the future.
  4. He envisions a way to tying up the world inside a game and the world outside via the share feature. Letting the user and others participate in a more natural way. He’d also like to use the speaker of the DualShock 4 to produce new sounds like heartbeat, secret whispers, telepathy or mishearing.
  5. The Playroom, Deep Down.
  6. “Time has passed since its release, but Root Double is our most recent work.” (…) “Moreover, a new original title is under development now, and it’s one in which we’re challenging different ways and mechanics. Please stand by for the day in which I’ll be able to deliver additional information.”
Old 2014-01-31, 16:04   Link #1499
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Okey so um... japans use of the "touch" pad was fairly predictable I suppose.

Guess we dont need to ask them what they'll do with the steam controller........
Old 2014-01-31, 16:30   Link #1500
Vigo
too lazy to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Guess we dont need to ask them what they'll do with the steam controller........
What makes you think Japan will bother with Steam in the first place?
Vigo is offline   Reply With Quote