AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 25
10: Amazing... 4 12.90%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 10 32.26%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 8 25.81%
7 out of 10: Good... 6 19.35%
6 out of 10: Average... 2 6.45%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-04-02, 18:30   Link #81
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Yeah, although we know this is Gundam so it's tradition that the protagonist gets away with a lot of crap. My point though is that even in terms of Gundam Asemu is getting away with a lot - if he was in a Tomino Gundam he would've been Bright Slapped a couple of times already and not just get what is in comparison a fairly mild daddy talk.
Hmm. Has he yet surpassed the king of "gets away with a lot", Shinn, in your opinion?
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:36   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Yeah, although we know this is Gundam so it's tradition that the protagonist gets away with a lot of crap. My point though is that even in terms of Gundam Asemu is getting away with a lot - if he was in a Tomino Gundam he would've been Bright Slapped a couple of times already and not just get what is in comparison a fairly mild daddy talk.
Yeah I am a little surprised that he hasn't been "corrected" yet. It seems like Millais has tried to a couple times, but Woolf has always stepped in to protect him. Woolf seems pretty intent on trying to mentor him through positive reinforcement without having to result to decking him ala Bright's command style. Also this show is supposed to be targeted at a younger audience so I figure they chose to leave that stuff out.

Hey though he has had a couple of stays in the brig by my count which is what is supposed to happen when you disobey orders in Gundam.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 18:53   Link #83
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah to be honest I don't really share your opinion, I find it to be one formed by extreme views on the shows and just finding stuff to nitpick and it just typifies what I've come to see as the typical impossible to please aspect of the Gundam fanbase in this age. For the record I don't find anything you've mentioned to be a show killing flaw that completely takes me out of it (although rest assured I have noticed these things and questioned them) and I feel the need to visit a forum to complain about for a week. This is because honestly every Gundam show I've ever seen has some inconsistencies like this where they forgo the realism for the sake of allowing the character drama and while it's hardly a perfect way of dealing with it it's something I've come to accept since they aren't totally wasting time and the show is still enjoyable for it.
When did I say there were show killing flaws? Please point it out.

Quote:
I also continue to not share your desire to just gripe endlessly about every flaw the series has otherwise I'd literally never be happy with Gundam ever like so many other Gundam fans with that sort of attitude. There's enough shitty go nowhere anime out there that when I find something that I even have a modest chance of enjoying and that actually uses it's time well I'm going to take it and forgive the minor things for the sake of my own enjoyment of the product. It's about choosing the things to go all about and the things to laugh off.
What are you on about? I was one of the posters around here to recognize the significant improvement going from Flit -> Asemu. In fact I believe I mentioned the show was significantly more enjoyable. I'm not griping endlessly about every small little detail. There are major problems that IMO cannot be overlooked. One that jumps out immediately is the way Romary has been handled. For one of the "three destinies that will make history" she gets 1-2 lines per episode (this last episode I believe she got ZERO), and 90% those lines consist of "Zehearto...... Asemu". Maybe that's acceptable character development to you, or one those easy to overlook flaws that don't need to be mentioned.

Quote:
Also your children's bed time story metaphor might actually work, but only in the case of German bed time stories that are about scaring the shit out of your children and/or scarring them for life in order to build character and responsibility. Gundam AGE has that sort of thing down pretty well.
If you think AGE is capable of scarring anyone for life you haven't seen Zeta or Victory....
Old 2012-04-02, 18:55   Link #84
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah I am a little surprised that he hasn't been "corrected" yet. It seems like Millais has tried to a couple times, but Woolf has always stepped in to protect him. Woolf seems pretty intent on trying to mentor him through positive reinforcement without having to result to decking him ala Bright's command style. Also this show is supposed to be targeted at a younger audience so I figure they chose to leave that stuff out.

Hey though he has had a couple of stays in the brig by my count which is what is supposed to happen when you disobey orders in Gundam.
In fact is the way how change the time, rememeber than original gundam was made under the impression of the old ww2(when the IJA was pretty common the physical punishment) rather the modern one(one officer in both germany or Japan doing that can easily court marshalled as high treason.. think the legacy of the war in both countries)

and saying a heresy... The Brightslap are not more that plain fanservice for old fans, but here with a more modern series, the more realistic outcome happen.. easily Asemu will be in Jail for a while... off camera of course,XD. But again.. he still in his initial rank? that is the answer about punishment... with his record, he never will be promoted
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 19:04   Link #85
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Revolutionist, the "Three destinies that make up history" tagline refers to Flit, Asem, and Kio, not Asem, Romary, and Zeheart. It's been something going on since the start of the show.
Old 2012-04-02, 19:12   Link #86
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
When did I say there were show killing flaws? Please point it out.
I don't know you were kind of implying that it was making the show crap or something. If it's just a particular instance (which it is) then yeah I agree I guess. I mostly derived this from the post where you claimed the show was "pissing you off" by the way.

Quote:
What are you on about? I was one of the posters around here to recognize the significant improvement going from Flit -> Asemu. In fact I believe I mentioned the show was significantly more enjoyable. I'm not griping endlessly about every small little detail. There are major problems that IMO cannot be overlooked. One that jumps out immediately is the way Romary has been handled. For one of the "three destinies that will make history" she gets 1-2 lines per episode (this last episode I believe she got ZERO), and 90% those lines consist of "Zehearto...... Asemu". Maybe that's acceptable character development to you, or one those easy to overlook flaws that don't need to be mentioned.
I'm pretty sure the three destinies are supposed to be Flit, Asemu and eventually Kio and not Asemu, Romary and Zeheart. As for Romary...well yeah she's not exactly star character material so much as one of the bridge bunnies that happens to be in a friendship with Asemu and Zeheart. No she's not a strongly written character and I do wish they'd give her more development. It's one of the few major problems I have with this arc, but I choose not to dwell on it and instead focus on all the other stuff I do like which is plenty. Again just really don't feel like letting incidental flaws drag the show down for me. It's not how I watch anime and really if something is to drag the show down for me it'll have to be something that runs deeper than just a love interest character that doesn't do much more than be a cheerleader ala Fraw Bow. Not going to lie, Romary is far from the first female Gundam character I've seen that has had little to say other than to mutter the main characters name in wistful tones.

Quote:
If you think AGE is capable of scarring anyone for life you haven't seen Zeta or Victory....
I have. Actually I own the boxset for Zeta Gundam and have gone through it 3 times now, but imagine for a second you're a young kid brought up on shows like Sazae-chan and Doreamon and then all of a sudden you come across Gundam Age where actions do have consequences and people do die and go through traumatic experiences. It's a pretty big leap in terms of intensity. As for scarring for life, no that was just a figurative speech, but I could definitely see it leaving an impression. At least that was my own experience from first encountering Gundam around the age of 11.
Old 2012-04-02, 19:28   Link #87
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Hmm. Has he yet surpassed the king of "gets away with a lot", Shinn, in your opinion?
SEED Destiny doesn't count in many ways:
1) ZAFT is actually not a proper military - in fact they don't even have a rank structure except for the 3 shirt colours, which even in itself doesn't represent a proper rank. eg a Green can still order a Red - see Rusty in first episode of SEED being the leader of the operation commanding 5 Reds.
2) The ZAFT military is heavily biased towards "means to an end" thinking - Shinn gets away with his crap because he also gets shit done for the most part despite his recklessness. Plus you have Durandel basically giving Shinn a free pass in every turn of the corner and actively promoting him higher and higher in status.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-02, 19:40   Link #88
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
1) ZAFT is actually not a proper military - in fact they don't even have a rank structure except for the 3 shirt colours, which even in itself doesn't represent a proper rank. eg a Green can still order a Red - see Rusty in first episode of SEED being the leader of the operation commanding 5 Reds.
2) The ZAFT military is heavily biased towards "means to an end" thinking - Shinn gets away with his crap because he also gets shit done for the most part despite his recklessness. Plus you have Durandel basically giving Shinn a free pass in every turn of the corner and actively promoting him higher and higher in status.
Don't forget about Faith.

Anyway the way I saw it the two sides were characterized by being all but entirely full of the biggest of intolerant zealots and supremacists with the Archangel and Minerva crews being like the sole groups of seemingly sane people caught between the mess.
Old 2012-04-02, 23:20   Link #89
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordOfkichiku View Post
Well in Shinn's defense (not that Morosawa has any defense besides medically), he was given a pass as part of a deliberate decision by a character who eventually (and undeservingly) became the main villain (Dullindal)...Shinn also got Athrun slapped, brig-locked, and dressed down several times by superiors, until he Soopa-Ace'd up...

Asemu is getting none of this, because AGE doesn't have the time to deal with stuff like this...Episode count is more important than character evolution or anything close to Federation procedures in this show...I'll accept it aslong as the action continues to be this cool, plus the actual combat tactics (like Flit using Diva to fight Desil in precise blast attacks) have been surprising...Kill off multiple characters in 2 consecutive episodes and it looks like the Bandai execs helped me out for once and screamed at some editors after the awfulness of the first 13 eps (Yes I know they had to see them in advance and predicted the American internet website fallout^^)...

I just hope the dues ex machina can stop for those terrible federation pilots though...They're bringing character shields to a whole new level..No way Feddies should have a chance if those are the best pilots earth has left...

But that aside, another visually pleasing episode with the addition of many in-combat deaths to people who had faces...that's what counts for me...
Old 2012-04-03, 00:10   Link #90
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well in Shinn's defense (not that Morosawa has any defense besides medically), he was given a pass as part of a deliberate decision by a character who eventually (and undeservingly) became the main villain (Dullindal)...Shinn also got Athrun slapped, brig-locked, and dressed down several times by superiors, until he Soopa-Ace'd up...

Asemu is getting none of this, because AGE doesn't have the time to deal with stuff like this...Episode count is more important than character evolution or anything close to Federation procedures in this show...I'll accept it aslong as the action continues to be this cool, plus the actual combat tactics (like Flit using Diva to fight Desil in precise blast attacks) have been surprising...Kill off multiple characters in 2 consecutive episodes and it looks like the Bandai execs helped me out for once and screamed at some editors after the awfulness of the first 13 eps (Yes I know they had to see them in advance and predicted the American internet website fallout^^)...

I just hope the dues ex machina can stop for those terrible federation pilots though...They're bringing character shields to a whole new level..No way Feddies should have a chance if those are the best pilots earth has left...

But that aside, another visually pleasing episode with the addition of many in-combat deaths to people who had faces...that's what counts for me...
Nah the Federation MS corps is pretty competent.

I mean come on did you not forget that Genoace II that kept fighting even after getting smacked down?

Then there was the big ring battle where they were able to contain the Magicians 8

It's just the Diva's two pilots suck. Like really really suck.

You want to talk about favouritism? Start talking about those two first. At least Asemu can fight decently.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 00:16   Link #91
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^The Diva is the crown jewel of the Feddie forces with God-pilot slash Commander Flit Yamato...There is no excuse for supplying this unit with 3 absolutely awful young pilots...Not like AGE will answer this, but they even showed us a training facility where young talented pilots are testing their skills with some of them having X-rounder ability...Ofcourse they're doing colony clean up duty for Candybar captain while the Dues Ex trio find more ways not to die than a mobile suit kitty (or Katz^^)...
Old 2012-04-03, 00:28   Link #92
JediNight
キズランダム

I agree that Asemu is due for some Brightslaps. Tossed in the brig with Asemu's immature mentality is more like being grounded/go to your room, than actually being a deterrent.

As for my misogyny statements before:
When Flit came back home for the visit, there was a visible atmosphere that he was "The Head of the Household"(TM) and his word was law. Emily basically was to get no say/be passive. That was how I saw it, at least. And he basically says that it was the destiny of the Asuno sons to pilot the Gundam/fight the Vagan, etc. He basically doesn't give his daughter the time of day.

Considering the equally mixed gender representation on the Diva, it leads you to believe that misogyny is largely gone by that timeframe. So why wouldn't Flit also have impressed on his daughter to study hard to join them in fighting the Vagan in a few years, etc?

IMHO it's the whole meta-commentary about Japans social values like houko was saying with the "Asian Father" reddit meme, etc. Also how outside of Tomino shows, Gundam pretty much never has competent female pilots on the protagonists side. (Only one I can think of that halfway qualifies is Marie from 00, but even then when she joined the protag side they basically sidelined her and made her irrelevant)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 00:47   Link #93
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

It boils down to that in the end Gundam is a show aimed at boys, so you can't have a girl as a protagonist, Japanese society overall hasn't been able to accept that yet. It's like they haven't been able to have a full on female Kamen Rider as the main Rider in the entire lifespan of the franchise which dates back to 1971 and after at least 20+ shows in the franchise, they've gone to make a really weak and whippy boy who's actually as girly as you can get as a male protagonist yet STILL won't actually have a female rider. This tells you a lot about how slow to change the Japanese society is in regards to stereotypes of the sexes and what the producers think their audience wants to see.

The day I see a Gundam show with a female pilot as the main protagonist (not second tier fodder, but as THE focus) is probably the day I can say "I've finally seen it all" in the franchise.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 11:58   Link #94
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I don't recall people making a big fuss about Kallen, and she was considered a main character in CG was she not? That was a Sunrise series, and a quite popular one, so that argument just doesn't hold up. Sunrise doesn't have a female protagonist or a female top gun in Gundam because they don't want to.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:09   Link #95
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The only people in the fandom who seemed to make a big fuss about Kallen was the AnimeSuki-based fandom for Code Geass... and even then, while she (and C.C.) were considered main characters, they weren't the protagonist so it didn't matter.
Old 2012-04-03, 13:02   Link #96
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I agree that Asemu is due for some Brightslaps. Tossed in the brig with Asemu's immature mentality is more like being grounded/go to your room, than actually being a deterrent.

As for my misogyny statements before:
When Flit came back home for the visit, there was a visible atmosphere that he was "The Head of the Household"(TM) and his word was law. Emily basically was to get no say/be passive. That was how I saw it, at least. And he basically says that it was the destiny of the Asuno sons to pilot the Gundam/fight the Vagan, etc. He basically doesn't give his daughter the time of day.

Considering the equally mixed gender representation on the Diva, it leads you to believe that misogyny is largely gone by that timeframe. So why wouldn't Flit also have impressed on his daughter to study hard to join them in fighting the Vagan in a few years, etc?
Generally speaking in Asian families sometimes when the kids are going out (Say Hong Kong), they'll put the son on one plane and the daughter on another plane rather than together. I don't think I need to explain why.

Also, I'm pretty sure in the military they don't like to have siblings or relatives serving on the same ship either or have rules in regards to that. (Yes Flit would be an exception since he's a commanding officer but I'm talking in regards to grunts and such).

Quote:
so you can't have a girl as a protagonist, Japanese society overall hasn't been able to accept that yet
Well yeah. Women only belong in the kitchen.....*runs away*
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 15:56   Link #97
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Of course if there ever come a day wherea Gundam anime does end up with a female protagonist that's also the Gundam pilot you'll have people turning around and claiming it's unrealistic somehow or Gundam is giving into market pressure and becoming "not Gundam" or something.

As for the whole female protagonist pilots issue, there's Asuna Elmaritt from Ecole Du Ciel and Arlene Nazon from MS Igloo 2 that come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post

IMHO it's the whole meta-commentary about Japans social values like houko was saying with the "Asian Father" reddit meme, etc. Also how outside of Tomino shows, Gundam pretty much never has competent female pilots on the protagonists side. (Only one I can think of that halfway qualifies is Marie from 00, but even then when she joined the protag side they basically sidelined her and made her irrelevant)
Let's see, if we're talking competent female pilots in non-Tomino anime on the protagonists side there's Allenby Beardsley from G Gundam, Lucrezia Noin from Gundam Wing and Enil El from Gundam X. Also Sochie can kind of do more than one might expect in that crappy Kapool MS in Turn A Gundam. Soma/Marie you already mentioned. It's mostly Seed Destiny and I guess AGE so far that lack a female pilot that doesn't need to constantly be saved. Also Tomino had his Fa Yuiry who basically was about as useless as a pilot could be and forever a liability. I think she maybe got like one confirmed kill in that entirel show and it a huge deal for her.
Old 2012-04-03, 19:00   Link #98
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The only female Gundam pilot with the depth of character and MS skills that could carry her own show as the main protagonist is Roux Louka(ZZ)...

/end thread...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2012-04-03 at 20:11. Reason: LMMFAO @ whoever that was^^... Keep feeding me...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 19:46   Link #99
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
Yeah, that's those factors that count in, I guess. Especially that last one.

Quote:
Yeah, Shinn is especially a special case since Dully favors him so that he'll be able to manipulate him/keep him on his good side. Asemu is in a sort of similar situation thoughm, since he gets some favoritism as well, not getting any worse punishment thna soem scoldign and soem time alone in the brig

Quote:
By the "2", you eman those of the Magician Eight? That may be so, althrough some feel that they were taken out too soon despite being relatively new...

Quote:
Well, if Act Two nears it's ending stage now, we may yet see a few more folks dying...

On the subject of females in Gundam... Well, they've generally taken a bit of a backseat, even if they've had important roles (leading positions), especially as far as the warrior/soldier role goes (or so I feel).

... Sometimes I wonder what it'd have been like had Loran Chehak been a female like Tomino wanted...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 22:06   Link #100
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
The day I see a Gundam show with a female pilot as the main protagonist (not second tier fodder, but as THE focus) is probably the day I can say "I've finally seen it all" in the franchise.
I get that. But I mean, it's not even that they are the main protagonist. It's that they can't even seem to make them a competent pilot. Aka Mu La Fllaga, Woolf, Reccoa, Emma Sheen, etc. It's like they've actually regressed since Zeta 20+ years ago...

Maybe we'll see an OVA for Ecole du Ciel? :P (Yeah right...)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion