AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-06, 19:43   Link #1
Cream
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Kony 2012

http://vimeo.com/37119711

finally , people taking action .
__________________
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 19:53   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
http://vimeo.com/37119711

finally , people taking action .
according Rush, kony is a good christian under attack by Obama the Muslim.

Quote:
So nothing to worry about here, folks, only gonna be for a few months. Now, up until today, most Americans have never heard of the combat Lord's Resistance Army. And here we are at war with them. Have you ever heard of Lord's Resistance Army, Dawn? How about you, Brian? Snerdley, have you? You never heard of Lord's Resistance Army? Well, proves my contention, most Americans have never heard of it, and here we are at war with them. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. It means God. I was only kidding. Lord's Resistance Army are Christians. They are fighting the Muslims in Sudan. And Obama has sent troops, United States troops to remove them from the battlefield, which means kill them. That's what the lingo means, "to help regional forces remove from the battlefield," meaning capture or kill.

So that's a new war, a hundred troops to wipe out Christians in Sudan, Uganda, and -- (interruption) no, I'm not kidding. Jacob Tapper just reported it. Now, are we gonna help the Egyptians wipe out the Christians? Wouldn't you say that we are? I mean the Coptic Christians are being wiped out, but it wasn't just Obama that supported that. The conservative intelligentsia thought it was an outbreak of democracy. Now they've done a 180 on that, but they forgot that they supported it in the first place. Now they're criticizing it.



http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...ets_christians
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 20:44   Link #3
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
To sum up for those may be too busy with to run through key information:
  1. Kony is kidnapping children from Central Africa, force them into child soldier and kill those who resist
  2. The US already started to send our military adviser to get on his tail
  3. However the level of military pressure will not be kept up if the public does not demand for it
  4. So we needs to make him famous, making the public question who he is and pressure the politicians to keep up the interests
  5. KONY 2012 is aimed out to make Kony famous
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 23:09   Link #4
Divini
Senpai!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
according Rush, kony is a good christian under attack by Obama the Muslim.
Ugh, that actually makes me sick to my stomach.

But yeah KONY 2012. Spread the word!
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 00:17   Link #5
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
If you have a social network profile, it'd be best to share the video to everyone. We all know how fast things spread on social networks.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 01:03   Link #6
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
according Rush, kony is a good christian under attack by Obama the Muslim.
To be fair, Limbaugh admits, at the end of the broadcast, that he did not know about Kory's dastardly ways. And, I seem to recall, that he briefly apologized for his remarks later. So, this was just one of many instances where Limbaugh spoke before he had any real facts, and then mostly ignored the issue later.

That being said, who cares what Limbaugh has said? Kory is a brutal mass murderer and he needs to be brought to justice.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 01:11   Link #7
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Facebook.... Checked
Twitter.... Checked
Other Forums.... Checked

Any controversial on the issues that i need to know of? Something that make Kony any less worse than what he is portrayed to be?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 08:58   Link #8
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 29
He's on top of the most wanted list...he should be brought under much scrutiny as possible. Noticed Gaddafi was #24 on that list as well.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 11:22   Link #9
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
While I'm all in favor of putting Kony in the spotlight, one should get a more complete story first.

The other side of Kony 2012

I understand that the link I posted is just a blog, but it's always a good idea to check as many facts as you can before getting behind something. It's a lot more complicated than just "removing" him.

Endless "Check the facts" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 12:04   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Having watched Penn & Teller's Bullshit! series for the past week, I've learnt how people can spin and bullshit their own stories and even the most moral and positive actions can have something bad behind.

While I fully support Kony to be brought to justice, I don't think I'll offer donations if I'm not so sure about who and what the money is funding.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 12:24   Link #11
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Having watched Penn & Teller's Bullshit! series for the past week, I've learnt how people can spin and bullshit their own stories and even the most moral and positive actions can have something bad behind.

While I fully support Kony to be brought to justice, I don't think I'll offer donations if I'm not so sure about who and what the money is funding.
Based on the video, they build school and radio station in Africa to begin with.

But i guess lots of money going to travel and set up activities. Money -> Awareness, in short. Their activities kits for example, probably cost a big investment in before some can be bought and hopefully earn some profits

But then frankly, i don't think activists are effective with spending money, unless is backing by a more experienced group. It's better than nothing will be done through
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 12:28   Link #12
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Based on the video, they build school and radio station in Africa to begin with.

But i guess lots of money going to travel and set up activities. Money -> Awareness, in short. Their activities kits for example, probably cost a big investment in before some can be bought and hopefully earn some profits

But then frankly, i don't think activists are effective with spending money, unless is backing by a more experienced group. It's better than nothing will be done through
Note that this is in a place where war is extremely prevalent.....lots of Warsaw firearms are stashed here by many arms smugglers.

I don't think the activists can do much with money other than buying up every single AK in this place, then smelting them into metal for reuse; wouldn't exactly recommend donating cash to causes where money can easily be shifted with little or no oversight.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 12:29   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Based on the video, they build school and radio station in Africa to begin with.

But i guess lots of money going to travel and set up activities. Money -> Awareness, in short. Their activities kits for example, probably cost a big investment in before some can be bought and hopefully earn some profits

But then frankly, i don't think activists are effective with spending money, unless is backing by a more experienced group. It's better than nothing will be done through
You should take a look at the link Endless Soul provided, it has been going around the internet almost as fast as the video itself, I read it before I even finished watching the video earlier on.

Alot of times activists will end up supporting a shady military or violent group of some sort.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 13:20   Link #14
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
according Rush, kony is a good christian under attack by Obama the Muslim.
Rush LRA schtick = best 'quality' on-air peformance to date
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 21:16   Link #15
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
You should take a look at the link Endless Soul provided, it has been going around the internet almost as fast as the video itself, I read it before I even finished watching the video earlier on.

Alot of times activists will end up supporting a shady military or violent group of some sort.
Frankly these "facts" are nothing new to me

Financially, actually Invisible Children did much better than i expect if the number 80+% funding usage include for movie funding. After all part of its program would be to raise awareness (making movies and such), and i can't understand why the blog take its out of the equation.

Then we have the argument on how Invisible Children are funding Uganda army? With their budget of less than 9 mil a year, and at least 80% of its are used elsewhere? Frankly i won't be surprised if the military "funding" part is no more than buying an AK or 2 for some isolated villages out there. And the blog kept getting on and on about how "doing something is not better than doing nothing" because in this case IC are funding for a 'children-raping army of Uganda'. Sounds extremely biased

Finally, the criticizer did miss the point. He said he's against KONY 2012, but his blog was more on against the Invisible Children's financial activties, not the activity itself. It's like "we are against Obama and the way he deal with Iran, because he's socialists". The only valid argument is: if US involve too much on the fight, more of Kony's child guard will be killed, assuming that US military operation are much less accurate and more explosive than Uganda'sone

But since money= speech, i doubt a funded organization of IC will be at lost to nameless blog
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 22:28   Link #16
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Finally, the criticizer did miss the point. He said he's against KONY 2012, but his blog was more on against the Invisible Children's financial activties, not the activity itself. It's like "we are against Obama and the way he deal with Iran, because he's socialists". The only valid argument is: if US involve too much on the fight, more of Kony's child guard will be killed, assuming that US military operation are much less accurate and more explosive than Uganda'sone
This. If the critic had a better idea to put in motion, shouldn't he suggest it in the first place? The death of child soldiers are rather inevitable - the object of charity campaigns is to save as many as they can.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 22:44   Link #17
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Where was this outcry when children were being forced to fight in Sierra Leone in the 90s? Or in any of the numerous conflicts in Africa and other countries that have seen that involved kids holding guns?

I'm glad something is being done to stop Kony, but it frustrates me that this issue is seemingly just now coming into the public light.
__________________
Elo the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 23:50   Link #18
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
The sad thing is that arresting Kony won't change the fact that society will create other Konies. People need stop treating the symptoms and go after the root causes, which are all embedded in social inequality.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 00:51   Link #19
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I don't see any point in adding to the global spam on this matter. "Increasing awareness" often translates to "I signed a petition,yay for me!". It'd be more valuable to actually write about your concern to the congressmen (US) or ministers (elsewhere) in charge of the appropriate committees.

As an cautionary, I was probably asked a dozen times by people on the street with a bucket for money "to help the Japanese" during the Japan tsunami disaster recovery. Maybe 3 or 4 of them were possibly legitimate. I've also been told that if I share "this picture of an abused puppy" with everyone, the "Humane Society" will get a dollar.... :P

Child warrior enslavement/abuse ... yeah, that's been a serious problem for at least the last 20 years (San Leone, etc) and given lots of coverage by news organizations, National Geographic, etc. Many countries in Africa are essentially failed nation-states, contributing to the fact it hasn't been addressed successfully.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 01:15   Link #20
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
While I'm all in favor of putting Kony in the spotlight, one should get a more complete story first.

The other side of Kony 2012

I understand that the link I posted is just a blog, but it's always a good idea to check as many facts as you can before getting behind something. It's a lot more complicated than just "removing" him.

Endless "Check the facts" Soul
https://plus.google.com/u/0/11345529...ts/9eU1bgfNRbu

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisibl...critiques.html

Both are rebuttals to the Tumblr gentleman's post, and other's like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
The sad thing is that arresting Kony won't change the fact that society will create other Konies. People need stop treating the symptoms and go after the root causes, which are all embedded in social inequality.
So, because another will rise from below his fall, we should just leave him be?

As stated in one of the articles I just posted,

"Yes there are other Kony's out there, but the world is a better place without Hitler, regardless if Stalin and his like rose up after his passing."

As in, regardless of who comes after, the world is now one 'point' better than before.
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.