AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-19, 19:44   Link #921
Insert_Gel

Eww. That's gross
Insert_Gel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 19:54   Link #922
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Quite the contrary...which is actually even weirder...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Randrak is not a masochist, he's a person with an open mind about pain, there's a HUGE difference.
Exactly. He's only only a masochist if he enjoys/receives it on a regular basis. More like he's the type to "experiment" with (new) things/ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Gel View Post
Eww. That's gross
What is? The Aracne or Randrak and MAX's comments?
Welsh_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 20:22   Link #923
MAX_COLA_POWER!

If I sound racist about this I deeply apologize, seeing the Spider-Girl, and remembering that Centorea has an accent that reminds me of Thor from EMH, I see the spider-girl and think, yep, Russian accent, don't know why, but I just think it fits.
Old 2013-04-19, 20:28   Link #924
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Exactly. He's only only a masochist if he enjoys/receives it on a regular basis. More like he's the type to "experiment" with (new) things/ideas.

What is? The Aracne or Randrak and MAX's comments?
Y'all make me sound like some kind of weirdo...........well I am, but still...

Quote:
If I sound racist about this I deeply apologize, seeing the Spider-Girl, and remembering that Centorea has an accent that reminds me of Thor from EMH, I see the spider-girl and think, yep, Russian accent, don't know why, but I just think it fits.
It does fit actually!

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 20:57   Link #925
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
It does fit actually!
Why does Black Widow (from The Avengers) come to mind when you say this. I assume that Black Widow is Russian, correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Y'all make me sound like some kind of weirdo...........well I am, but still...
Trust me, you're normal compared to the weirdos that hang around the High School DxD SG. Everyone there are are all perverts.
Old 2013-04-19, 21:02   Link #926
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Wait... so Cerea + Arachne = international harem?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 21:35   Link #927
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

It's already an international harem. Lamias and Harpies come from different countries as well. I know that Harpies and Centaurs come from Greece and Lamias, I think, come from somewhere around the Middle East.
Old 2013-04-19, 21:42   Link #928
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Technically, Lamia, Centaurs and Harpies are all originally part of Greek mythology.

Mermaids are actually more ancient and Middle-Eastern, though the Mermaids we know best are more like Sirens...which are originally Greek.

And so are the Arachne xD

SO EVERYONE'S GREEK!!!!
Then again, I'm going by oldest written records...but since every civilization's mythology is pretty much based on older civilizations' mythologies mixed with regional beliefs...these all could very well be Middle-Eastern, just that no records have been made or found of them.

Old 2013-04-19, 21:48   Link #929
ellifeedn
Thinker

... So what qualifies as, say, "American"?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 21:54   Link #930
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
American the continent or just the USA?

And again, I was going by oldest written records...which just happen to be Greek most of the time (they were the one of the earliest civilizations to develop a proper alphabet so it makes sense).

Old 2013-04-19, 21:56   Link #931
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Probably a bald eagle older version of Papy with a tattoo that says 'Murica on her arm.
Old 2013-04-19, 22:05   Link #932
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Well, since we are going by mythology of countries. A Thunderbird hybrid would qualify as American. Though it would be like Papy, so I think that is not going to happen. Well what about a lizard type hybrid stemming from the legend of Champ or a neko stemming from the Ball-tailed cat.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 22:13   Link #933
Matmon

I hope she doesn't eat her mate like most spiders
Matmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 22:21   Link #934
shadow1296

I remember something from something from the end of chapter 8 about a list of monsters that might show up and I think the arachne was one of them and I was right

Spoiler for chapter 8:
Old 2013-04-19, 22:42   Link #935
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconii2002 View Post
Small preview of what you will get in chapter 15

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Twas only a matter of time and that moment is soon to arrive. I hope those fingers of hers aren't too sharp. (remembers one of Okayado's monster girl comics involving a spider girl)

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 22:52   Link #936
Mesophiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconii2002 View Post
Small preview of what you will get in chapter 15

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Her face is pretty much the same as in the oneshots, but her spider body looks massive compared to the previous design. It'll be interesting to see how she moves around the house. More renovations?
Mesophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 02:11   Link #937
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

Quote:
Technically, Lamia, Centaurs and Harpies are all originally part of Greek mythology.

Mermaids are actually more ancient and Middle-Eastern, though the Mermaids we know best are more like Sirens...which are originally Greek.

And so are the Arachne xD

SO EVERYONE'S GREEK!!!!
Then again, I'm going by oldest written records...but since every civilization's mythology is pretty much based on older civilizations' mythologies mixed with regional beliefs...these all could very well be Middle-Eastern, just that no records have been made or found of them.
Wait I thought that Lamia were middle Eastern monsters like the Naga. Greeks have the Gorgons, like Medusa. Also, Doesn't Japan have legends about Spider Women? Or did those stem from western influence through the trades between Japan and the western world? And what about Slimes? Where the heck do they come from?

Quote:
Thunder Bird, Sasquatch (or Bigfoot as most people call it). Here is a list for Native american monsters: http://www.native-languages.org/monsters.htm

America also has werewolves, Mothman, the Fouke Monster(Believed to be a bigfoot), the Jersey Devil, and so on.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/12965...erica-part-two

there is actually a show called Monsters and Mysteries in America that is airing right now. There are 4 episodes so far. It might be worth it to look it up.

P.S. Appearantly there is a monster called Sheepsquatch(?) and the Goatman.
Lake monsters

Last edited by Welsh_Dragon; 2013-04-20 at 02:26.
Old 2013-04-20, 06:59   Link #938
Nihgthawk

So found some more spoiler pictures on tieba.baidu.
Spoiler for 14:
Nihgthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 10:22   Link #939
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Wait I thought that Lamia were middle Eastern monsters like the Naga. Greeks have the Gorgons, like Medusa. Also, Doesn't Japan have legends about Spider Women? Or did those stem from western influence through the trades between Japan and the western world? And what about Slimes? Where the heck do they come from?
I'll repeat myself, I'm going by oldest records here. There is no doubt that certain legends and myths are common to various civilizations, not only does the human mind work similar regardless of where you are born but myths are easily assimilated by newer, neighboring and conquering civilizations. Thus why there are myths of Dragons all over the world, even in civilizations of about the same age but completely separate continents, however the stories and descriptions of each dragons may vary greatly.

Now for the Lamia...
True enough the Naga (Nagini actually) present great similarities with the Lamia, the oldest known records of Naga come from the Mahabharata, an ancient Indian epic of about 400 BC, however it is believed that the legend comes from around the 8th century BC. Naga are pretty much a race of beings (or deities according to some records).
Lamia on the other hand are not exactly a race but rather an individual, and the first known recording of her comes from the Stesichorus poem of about 650 BC, though like many others the myth is believe to be older, from around the 8th century BC. And Lamia is believed to be the mother of Scylla, who's also used as a model for another well known monstergirl. HOWEVER there's no real reference that tells us Lamia was half snake, this comes much later...much much later from some archeologists interpretation of the poems and legends.
And then we have the "beautiful" Gorgons, who are much older than any of the above, with the oldest recording of them coming from the Iliad, circa 850 BC and better described in the Theogony, circa 700 BC. Thing is, like the Lamia, there were never referenced as having snake bodies, they were depicted as having snake like skin and later on snakes for hair but that's really about it. The snake bodies came later...as in during our time (*cough*GodofWar*cough*).
So if you want to go by oldest recordings and/or namesake, the Gorgon and Lamia legends are older than the Naga, thus they are originally Greek but back then they were not really represented as being half snake, half human people. But if we go by physical description then Naga are a perfect match, making him Indian.
Take your pick xD

As for the Arachne...yes the Japanese also have the Jorogumo, which are Youkai spider ladies however the name Arachne also comes from a half spider half human lady. The Jorogumo legend is from around the early 1600's AD and the first known painting of it from the late 1700's if I remember correctly while the Arachne is a mythological creature from ancient Greek and roman myths and first written in a book published in 8 AD.
However, no doubt the Japanese think of the Jorogumo when the Arachne is mentioned.

Slimes...are tricky little bastards since as far as I know there's no real slime monsters recorded in ancient myths, at least not any noteworthy enough to be recorded in any of the books and web pages I've read xD
Though there is a 1958 American movie about a giant slime monster.

Quote:
Thunder Bird, Sasquatch (or Bigfoot as most people call it). Here is a list for Native american monsters: http://www.native-languages.org/monsters.htm

America also has werewolves, Mothman, the Fouke Monster(Believed to be a bigfoot), the Jersey Devil, and so on.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/12965...erica-part-two

there is actually a show called Monsters and Mysteries in America that is airing right now. There are 4 episodes so far. It might be worth it to look it up.

P.S. Appearantly there is a monster called Sheepsquatch(?) and the Goatman.
Lake monsters
I admit, I haven't read up much on American legends and mythology but...
Werewolves are originally Greek (recordings as old as 8 AD).
The Sasquatch is often associated with the Yeti which is Himalayan and older I believe...then again the Amerindians were far less advanced than than civilizations in Europe and Asia so the myth could be older but not recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihgthawk View Post
So found some more spoiler pictures on tieba.baidu.
Spoiler for 14:
DAMMIT...guess I'll have to wait another month for my Arachne goodness.

Old 2013-04-20, 13:51   Link #940
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Oh Randrak, I am so proud of you for not refering to the encyclopedia but going for mythology this time ... yea I know I keep going on about that, sorry, I'll stop it already.

I have a slight arachnophobia but enjoyed the short 1page strips of Arachne. I gotta say, though, her spider body looks even more realistic now (as with the overal raise in visual quality compared to the 1pagers).

About her personality, it's just a wild guess, but since everyone will expect her to be S maybe the author will play a trick on the readers and make her M instead. However, that wouldn't fit with her need to feed on blood (and other "proteins" )
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ecchi, harem, monster girl