AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 26
10: Amazing... 17 41.46%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 12 29.27%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 8 19.51%
7 out of 10: Good... 1 2.44%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 2.44%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10: Poor... 1 2.44%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-09, 17:17   Link #81
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
what does one get for being a x-rounder?It seems that it hasn't being significantly clarified or even mentioned alot.
Seems to be it involves processing sensory input and a kinda of precognition of enemy movement. So they're able to keep track of more enemies and trajectories, and have a sense for what the enemies next move will be to almost pre-react.

Needless to say, in the case of Desil: He was already crazy and not exactly fighting in a smart manner. But even in a general sense, if you were used to having that extra-sensory ability at all times, and suddenly it didn't work on someone. I can see how you could be taken by surprise.

It's not that they're bad pilots, but it would be like suddenly being blinded, and taking awhile to listening more carefully for movement, etc.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 17:28   Link #82
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah but the textbook Gundam thing to do now would be to have Obright die and ruin Remy for life so that she comes back in the next arc all angry and bitter. Of course this doesn't always happen with Gundam series and sometimes the couple does get to live happily, but not often.
Well yeah, but like in the first generation with Adams, Largan and Ract all had some pretty big death flags/ death seekers in Racts case, but had all made it out fine to live for another 20 years at least. I suspect that AGE wouldn't go as far as have a massive purge of all the cast, it's just not the shows style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
As for power levels in Gundam, you'd be surprised just how much some fans care about this sort of thing. For some I know firsthand it's pretty much the be all end all deciding factor on whether a Gundam series is good or not.
Huh. Well then I guess I have to ask if they think that the majority of the output of the franchise must suck since the idea of someone beating Newtype isn't exactly all that common.

Not that I think that such a thing matters in a show where the main character pilots a state of the art prototype MS, so I'm left to wonder if it is really that mcuh of a deal breaker to start of with.
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:04   Link #83
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Okay just watched it, AGE's writing has been pretty lazy and lacking focus most of the time but I guess it's time to jump the shark. What the hell was that, am I to believe that a 17 year old boy who start to pilot two years ago without any special ability can go god mode and top a veteran X-rounder who's been on the battlefield since he was a little child because his teacher got killed? The best part must be the killing blow, when Asemu claims in the most emo fashion, his title of super pilot.

SUPER PILOT!!!

X-rounders are outdate. AGE-3 will see the rise of the super pilots, every grunt will be an X-rounder by then. Zeheart are you a super pilot? 'cause Asemu is coming for you.

Will Obright's uninteresting love life be of any significance to the plot?

In the end, the episode was good, still violent facepalm inducing.
Korps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:20   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Well yeah, but like in the first generation with Adams, Largan and Ract all had some pretty big death flags/ death seekers in Racts case, but had all made it out fine to live for another 20 years at least. I suspect that AGE wouldn't go as far as have a massive purge of all the cast, it's just not the shows style.

Huh. Well then I guess I have to ask if they think that the majority of the output of the franchise must suck since the idea of someone beating Newtype isn't exactly all that common.

Not that I think that such a thing matters in a show where the main character pilots a state of the art prototype MS, so I'm left to wonder if it is really that mcuh of a deal breaker to start of with.
I don't think they think much at all. Thinking is unnecessary when you're basically just running down a checklist of your does and don'ts
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:24   Link #85
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Okay just watched it, AGE's writing has been pretty lazy and lacking focus most of the time but I guess it's time to jump the shark. What the hell was that, am I to believe that a 17 year old boy who start to pilot two years ago without any special ability can go god mode and top a veteran X-rounder who's been on the battlefield since he was a little child because his teacher got killed? The best part must be the killing blow, when Asemu claims in the most emo fashion, his title of super pilot.
You should probably stay away from anime then, most newbie protagonists defeat experienced veterans in combat with two weeks of training rather than two years

And I think Obright's love life is pretty interesting and fun to watch, actually (Though mainly because of Remi Ruth, who I find much more interesting than Obright himself)
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:28   Link #86
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Seems like the blood feud between the Galette and the Asuno's is going to come to a close soon.

-In a lot of ways, the contrast between how the Asuno and the Galette treat each other can be really revealing. Zeheart sent his brother to his death for disobeying his orders, though he didn't seem to be out of hate, but out of the realization that Desil was simply a loose canon. That is something Flit will never do to his son, no matter how much he had went against military procedure before. Hell, in a lot of ways, Desil is what Asem might have become had he allowed himself to be taken in with the all the self loathing.
There's no blood feud there, Zeheart clearly didn't care Desil got killed because he wanted that to happen. It's cold and cruel, but it needed to be done. He's not going to fight Asemu because he killed his nii-san. He's going to fight Asemu because he's got a goal he's striving for, and Asemu is going to be standing in his way. What will be interesting and I'm most looking forward to, is how Asemu will go into that fight.
I personally have a feeling that Zeheart is going to die, but Asemu won't be the one to kill him. My reasoning is that even though Woolf died, and Asemu has gained a reason to fight, which basically comes down to protecting his comrades, deep down he still considers Zeheart a "friend" and that scene with him watching pictures on the haro of their school days kinda tells me he's not going to be trying to kill him. Now, Zeheart in the other hand has said time and again that he is willing to sacrifice his life for Vagan and taking back the Earth, so I'm afraid he's going to do something heroic or kamikaze and take out as much of the Feds as he can before dying like Gato.

As for the whole letting Desil die thing, you can't compare Asemu's insubordination to what Desil has done. Desil took off on a pointless mission that jeopardized their entire operation for a stupid reason (revenge on Flit) and got some of their best pilots killed in the process. He then took off again against orders and controlled some of his own allies against their will and got them killed. Not to mention his constant insubordination and total disregard for protocol, breaking maintenance procedures, questioning his commanders all the time, etc. The guy was completely insane and I'm baffled at how such a person can be in a military (only in fiction duh). Asemu is not a psycho and his insubordination have been quite few and not that severe.
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:44   Link #87
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
People like Desil might be the reason why Ezelcant considers X-Rounders to be a regression in humanity, rather than an evolution.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 19:49   Link #88
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
No it was pointed out that those helments the Vagans use bring out x-rounder abilities but at the same time cause brain damage.

Given how messed up Decil was and that he was fighting when he was just a little boy obviously the thing took its toll on him.

So really the Vagans cannot fight a prolong war since their people will get used up quickly.

Quote:
Now, Zeheart in the other hand has said time and again that he is willing to sacrifice his life for Vagan and taking back the Earth, so I'm afraid he's going to do something heroic or kamikaze and take out as much of the Feds as he can before dying like Gato.
And then when Zeheart's subordinates make it to Earth and see what a crap dump it is the first thing they'll say is,

"Why were we dying for this dump?"

Seriously there's gotta be a reason why we haven't seen Earth yet. Heck the majority of Earth's soldiers haven't even seen it.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 20:35   Link #89
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
I think Asemu just move on rage and wasn't thinking at all, that's why Desil could not read him. Asemu move is like rolling a dice, even he himself does not know what exactly he will do next.

I want to see next ep where the spirit of Woolf will ask Asemu to turn off all sensors and tell him to "Use the force"

I wonder if Flit is next after Woolf , I hope not, I really want to see Flit in Age 3 timeline
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 20:56   Link #90
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In front of my computer
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Okay just watched it, AGE's writing has been pretty lazy and lacking focus most of the time but I guess it's time to jump the shark. What the hell was that, am I to believe that a 17 year old boy who start to pilot two years ago without any special ability can go god mode and top a veteran X-rounder who's been on the battlefield since he was a little child because his teacher got killed?


Good lord. It's like people just ignore the fact that Asemu is a talented pilot for the sake of bashing the show.
__________________
Duo Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 21:04   Link #91
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
The Ratings form something cool
B-A-D-A-A

"Badass Asem!"
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 22:15   Link #92
faceroll
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calipornia
Age: 20
those are some fancy terms...
it would be hella funny if there is a "S" grade and it was on the bottom.
faceroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 22:21   Link #93
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cold Winter Place
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
People like Desil might be the reason why Ezelcant considers X-Rounders to be a regression in humanity, rather than an evolution.
Magicians 8 really didnt help themselves much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
As for the whole letting Desil die thing, you can't compare Asemu's insubordination to what Desil has done. Desil took off on a pointless mission that jeopardized their entire operation for a stupid reason (revenge on Flit) and got some of their best pilots killed in the process. He then took off again against orders and controlled some of his own allies against their will and got them killed. Not to mention his constant insubordination and total disregard for protocol, breaking maintenance procedures, questioning his commanders all the time, etc. The guy was completely insane and I'm baffled at how such a person can be in a military (only in fiction duh). Asemu is not a psycho and his insubordination have been quite few and not that severe.
I reckon he was in the military because his a powerful X-Rounder and Ezelcant might consider those valuable. He already was given special treatment when he was 7 afterall. I ado agree that Desil is more of a liability than an asset though but I feel like his behavior at the moment is mostly influenced by Flit being involved in nearby operations and that amplifies his insubordinate and crazy tendencies by ten times. He's still likely crazy even in normal considerations though but I reckon he's might be a slight net asset then. Still thought he should be grounded after the stunt he pulled last time though, those type of stunts aren't usually tolerated in a military setting especially
__________________
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 23:14   Link #94
Skye629
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Okay just watched it, AGE's writing has been pretty lazy and lacking focus most of the time but I guess it's time to jump the shark. What the hell was that, am I to believe that a 17 year old boy who start to pilot two years ago without any special ability can go god mode and top a veteran X-rounder who's been on the battlefield since he was a little child because his teacher got killed? The best part must be the killing blow, when Asemu claims in the most emo fashion, his title of super pilot.

SUPER PILOT!!!

X-rounders are outdate. AGE-3 will see the rise of the super pilots, every grunt will be an X-rounder by then. Zeheart are you a super pilot? 'cause Asemu is coming for you.

Will Obright's uninteresting love life be of any significance to the plot?

In the end, the episode was good, still violent facepalm inducing.
Asem have some things going for him to beat Desil.

1. Natural piloting ability, obviously from his father, which was reflected in his evaluation score in an earlier episode

2. He had piloted mini mobile suits since Highschool and then underwent military academy or wherever he went off too

3. Desil completely underestimated him due to him not being Flit or an X-rounder

4. It happens in ALMOST EVERY F***ing Gundam series I have seen including UC this shouldn't be a problem for any Gundam fan

Heres where I totally agree with you though

SUPER PILOT!!!!......really? that sounds stupid as f***, maybe its cooler in Japan cuz they said it in engrish but....yeah shoulda just stuck to something like "Ace Pilot"
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 23:55   Link #95
flack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
Asem have some things going for him to beat Desil.

1. Natural piloting ability, obviously from his father, which was reflected in his evaluation score in an earlier episode

2. He had piloted mini mobile suits since Highschool and then underwent military academy or wherever he went off too

3. Desil completely underestimated him due to him not being Flit or an X-rounder

4. It happens in ALMOST EVERY F***ing Gundam series I have seen including UC this shouldn't be a problem for any Gundam fan

Heres where I totally agree with you though

SUPER PILOT!!!!......really? that sounds stupid as f***, maybe its cooler in Japan cuz they said it in engrish but....yeah shoulda just stuck to something like "Ace Pilot"
That ruined that drama in that episode for me.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 00:58   Link #96
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye629 View Post
3. Desil completely underestimated him due to him not being Flit or an X-rounder
Desil was unhinged before the battle, being outmatched by a mongrel with unpredictable movements caused him to lose his concentration, if he'd stayed calm like he had in the past he still could've matched Asem.

Wtf is up with Asem's tactics anyway, a frontal assault is not the answer to every situation. Desil lost because of his incompetence, Asem didn't do anything drastically different than the way he usually fights.
__________________
They say you don't grow up
You just grow old,
It's safe to say I haven't done both.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 01:21   Link #97
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
X-rounders are outdate. AGE-3 will see the rise of the super pilots, every grunt will be an X-rounder by then.
Age-1 -> X-rounder.
Age-2 -> Super-pilot.
Age-3 -> Super-X-rounder.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 01:41   Link #98
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post


Good lord. It's like people just ignore the fact that Asemu is a talented pilot for the sake of bashing the show.
None of that listed factors into actual piloting EXPERIENCE though... Read what it's explaining. X-Rounder ability is basically magic, okay so he sucks at being a Magician. But what does Gravity Blood Lactate even mean? Okay he has good reflexes. The other one seems related to muscle-response timing.

None of that inherently makes you a good pilot. That comes with experience and the ability to analyze your situation. Asemu has neither experience, nor level-headed thinking to analyze a situation.

This reminds me of the situation where people claimed Shinn was a good pilot when downing the Freedom when all he did was follow Rey's plan and Kira was busy looking in the rear-view mirror at the Archangel the entire fight.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 01:48   Link #99
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Physical fitness factors into piloting ability. If you're in crap shape, then your body will limit your effectiveness in combat and likely get you killed. As for the aptitude tests themselves, IIRC some of them tested his combat capabilities to measure his abilities. Except for his aptitude as an X-Rounder, Asem passed with flying colors with only a small issue concerning his concentration.

That said, Asem underwent a year's worth of training before he was even assigned to the Diva and the Gundam AGE-2. On top of that, unlike most of his fellow trainees, he had actual piloting and combat experience--he was the combat pilot in the civilian tournaments and did remarkably well, and also fought against and defeated three Vagan MS with only rudimentary know-how on operating a fully-fledged war machine. Also by this time, Asem has had a set amount of time in a simulator where he got to practice against Zeheart in the Zeydra and Ambat-era!Flit in the Gundam AGE-1. He has also participated in several battles since then, usually going up against superior opponents like Zeheart and Desil and coming out alive, which is more than a lot of other people can say.

So stop writing him off as some rookie who doesn't know what he's doing. He's not perfect but he's improved. If you're so biased against the show as to not be able to see that, then no one here can help you.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 02:01   Link #100
Vena
Carpe Diem
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: ||At the edge of finality.||
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Age-1 -> X-rounder.
Age-2 -> Super-pilot.
Age-3 -> Super-X-rounder.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Asemu turns out to be the best pilot in-universe, at least it really feels like they've been building him up to be just that: the great pilot with nothing but pure talent. Its also why I won't be the least bit surprised if he's dead/missing for the majority of AGE-3 because he'd be a game breaker (The Vagan's mightiest double-edge sword is useless against someone in a Gundam? G.G.). Unlike X-Rounder talent isn't a hereditary detail and so his son may take after the grandfather more than the father.... especially if said father is missing.
__________________
Transcend Eternity
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekly episode discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.