AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-24, 11:26   Link #221
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
What I find shameless in this mmo, is the blatant sexual lure for the male crowd. The very first thing you get to see in Tera is a a woman's butt poorly covered under a mini skirt. Then on the character creation screen the focus shifts to crotches, and some boobs as the camera is now really low looking up. The outfits and gear are very tight and cover very little skin, they want to make sure you can see the boobs and the crotch...

As a friend of mine said: "The character creation page felt like creating your own porn start".

And once you start playing the game, guess what? Most of the characters are females

Aside from this shameless stunt, the game has amazing graphics and the game play is fun and engaging. It could use some work on the music and questing department but all in all, it is a solid game. Too bad you have to pay a monthly sub though, as I have come to finally realize that subs are nothing else than an scam designed to milk players for their money.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 11:38   Link #222
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Questing department? I see everyone complain about questing in EVERY game out there yet no one can explain what is '' non-boring quest system ''. There's really only so much you can have variety with when it comes to quest. It's not a quest if it doesn't belong to save/kill/gather/deliver something part.

Music department? This game has the most epic OST I have heard in an MMO like, EVER. Don't let the starting area fool you, once you get to fight bosses and BAMs .. it's sick.

Scam? Sub? Are you sure we're talking about the same game? The only thing in world of MMO's is a scam is f2p games with pay2win items. A sub prevents that, plus it prevents most of the gold sellers, and you call it scam?

.. And don't even get me started on what you call '' shameless ''. Just suck it up and accept the fact that most MMO'ers are male and they DO rather stare at female ass when they play, rather than male ass, unless they're gay. I haven't seen anything '' slutty '' as you describe anyway, except the Elin armor when de-censored, but it's okay because they're lolis <3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow Yun View Post
I think I'm going to switch from Priest to Lancer and make Dragonfall my home on early start

No offense about Priest as its a fun class, but melee seems to be more intense than ranged classes. In closed beta, I liked Warrior, Lancer, and Slayer the best.
If you stick with our guild, you'll be loved <3. We don't have any lancers yet so it's kinda ._. when trying to organize guild only parties for instances and BAM's. Also character limit per server is 8 on headstart, so you don't have to delete Valari or anything. (Unless you want to reuse the name).

Kyero : That spider boss, Arakia or whatever it is called, is a world boss. It's not technically a BAM, it's larger and harder than that. It has a guild quest on it's head. Also it is not hard.. None of the bosses and BAM's are IF you have a good group and can time your dodges/blocks/teleports right. When you get to Sinestral Manor, the outside of that dungeon is infested with those gigantic spiders, although they're called Ovoliths.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 12:03   Link #223
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Questing department? I see everyone complain about questing in EVERY game out there yet no one can explain what is '' non-boring quest system ''. There's really only so much you can have variety with when it comes to quest. It's not a quest if it doesn't belong to save/kill/gather/deliver something part.

Music department? This game has the most epic OST I have heard in an MMO like, EVER. Don't let the starting area fool you, once you get to fight bosses and BAMs .. it's sick.

Scam? Sub? Are you sure we're talking about the same game? The only thing in world of MMO's is a scam is f2p games with pay2win items. A sub prevents that, plus it prevents most of the gold sellers, and you call it scam?

.. And don't even get me started on what you call '' shameless ''. Just suck it up and accept the fact that most MMO'ers are male and they DO rather stare at female ass when they play, rather than male ass, unless they're gay. I haven't seen anything '' slutty '' as you describe anyway, except the Elin armor when de-censored, but it's okay because they're lolis <3.


Quests need to be break away from the usual trends. This will lead to greater game immersion.

The music in the game plays only sporadically and with long intervals between sound tracks. Most of what you get to hear in the game are the sound effects. I don't know about the later areas of the game but this is true for the starting areas at least. The music was rather bland as well.

The sex appeal in the game is something that needs to be studied but as a part of a larger phenomena in our society. Women are being portrait as sexual objects, which lessen their standing as equal members of society. This game is part of the problem... of course this inst the only game out there that does that. If you didn't notice all the sexual subtleties that this game bombards you with that is your own problem. I myself found it hard to concentrate at the beginning

As for the subscription fees, you need to get off that cloud, sub fees do not guarantee higher quality gaming, it is just profit. Also, most f2p mmos out there do not sell you powerful items for real world money, as that would be game breaking. Spammers, kids, gold sellers and trolls will invade any mmo no matter what level of security they have in place. It happened and still happens in WoW for example.

Please watch this video:

__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 12:30   Link #224
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Yes, because you can judge the game from first 10 levels. It's bullshit that most people judge this game by it's lvl1-10 area '' This game sucks, nothing happens, combat is boring '' .. It gets better on 20+, and music does too. You're constantly fighting BAMs or doing instances where music is always present, and it IS awesome. Don't call it bland if you haven't even heard it.

You need to get off your cloud. You clearly don't have much experience with f2p games. I do, and MOST korean MMO's DO have game breaking items in cash shop. Don't speak if you don't know anything.

WoW also has free trial so it can't be used as a comparison. Gold sellers will use that to sell the gold, they don't need to buy the game. It's more likely for sub fees to guarantee good gameplay than for F2P cash shop. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.

Lastly, I love how you didn't reply to my question about quests. All you said is that you want more immersion. Yet you still fail to explain what would the quests have to do for them to achieve greater immersion and diversity. Everyone complains about quests but no one can explain what makes a great quest then.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 12:45   Link #225
Nikkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Pre-order my copy today. Sadly I only had time to try out warrior, archer and sorcerer before the beta ended, but I had a feeling priest would be pretty fun too.

As for the topic above, I found the music to be amazing. The soundtrack for the tower base in the beginners area reminded me of Final Fantasy 9 and I agree with Dist, you can't judge a game on it's first 10 levels. The quest are much more interactive later with bosses and dungeons and I heard a rumor about there being some kind of mob invasion attacking real time at the cities?. Can anyone confirm this?
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 12:54   Link #226
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Yes, because you can judge the game from first 10 levels. It's bullshit that most people judge this game by it's lvl1-10 area '' This game sucks, nothing happens, combat is boring '' .. It gets better on 20+, and music does too. You're constantly fighting BAMs or doing instances where music is always present, and it IS awesome. Don't call it bland if you haven't even heard it.
I call the music bland because the little I got to see of it was. There is no way I could get to level 20+ in 3 days of beta. The combat is great, so don't misquote me on that.

Quote:
You need to get off your cloud. You clearly don't have much experience with f2p games. I do, and MOST korean MMO's DO have game breaking items in cash shop. Don't speak if you don't know anything.
I do have experience with F2P games, most of NCsoft games are now F2P and most of all are MMOS. Lord of Rings is also F2P, and that game has experienced bigger profits since its convertion. I am not Korean, I am a westerner and I am sorry Korean mmos are exploiting their own players with item cash shops. None of the F2P games I play do something so shameless.

Quote:
WoW also has free trial so it can't be used as a comparison. Gold sellers will use that to sell the gold, they don't need to buy the game. It's more likely for sub fees to guarantee good gameplay than for F2P cash shop. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.
Did you watch the video?

Quote:
Lastly, I love how you didn't reply to my question about quests. All you said is that you want more immersion. Yet you still fail to explain what would the quests have to do for them to achieve greater immersion and diversity. Everyone complains about quests but no one can explain what makes a great quest then.
You haven't heard of guild wars 2 yet? I thought you had.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 13:10   Link #227
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Dist, tone down the anger a bit. People are going to have differences of opinion, but there's no need for aggression here.

That said, I don't get the complaining about the sexuality. The men in TERA aren't hypersexualized? They're all incredibly handsome, well built men (the kind you'd never see in real life). The elves all wear spandex and look like bishounen, chests half covered and perfect hair. The humans are "somewhat" normal, if only because while they are perfectly shaped they aren't as overdone as the other races. I can see people being uncomfortable with the Elin, with all of the social paranoia lately fearful of pedophiles around every corner, but otherwise none of the models are any more extreme than your average fantasy characters.

Take a walk through the local sci-fi/fantasy section of a bookstore. You'll find nearly all of them feature beautiful people striking poses straight off a romance novel cover. One of the most famous and influential western artists is Boris Vallejo, who's been drawing scantily clad men and women fantasy art for decades.

If games like TERA were striving for realism, I could understand the complaints better, but this is not the case at all so it just makes me wonder what the underlying reasons for the dislikes is actually about.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 14:11   Link #228
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
All he does is turn down what I say but doesn't care to elaborate. Just '' watch the video '' or .. Haven't you heard of GW2 ... I'm not interested in GW2, and I'm not going to play it. I don't care about the game, and I think it looks rubbish. It's combat is boring, and so on.. Do I need to continue? This is besides the point anyway, you're still not explaining it in your own words what should quests BE like to be -not- boring. Can't you do that? Then you don't even know what you yourself want.

Also the f2p games you mentioned are from NCSoft, which used to be p2p. This can't be used as an comparison. I am speaking about F2P games that were brought over to NA/EU. They were always f2p, and they always had a cash shop, and most korean f2p's DO have game breaking items. When they're brought over, they STILL have game breaking items. TERA wen't with p2p, just like NCSoft's Aion did, among other games. Eventually those games went f2p, perhaps TERA will too? You used to play NCSoft games means you've paid a sub for them, but they're not scams? But TERA is? What kind of argument is this?

All in all, I do not understand your argument how a subscription based game is a scam? The developers must make money.. Making a game isn't free. Hosting and running a game isn't free.. So why should playing be free? And yes, it DOES keep away gold sellers. I also never said anything about trolls and such, all I said is that if you have to buy a retail box it's less likely for gold sellers to appear especially because TERA doesn't offer trial to test out the game for free.

Also the way you judge the music is like you judge an anime. '' I watched the first episode, and it was boring. This series MUST suck ''. I see this a lot, and it's ridiculous. You can't judge a game or a series from when it starts off. And the combat thing was in general, there are a lot of people out there in various forums, including this, that say the game is boring.. And all they have done is play the starting area. The starting area is exactly that, learning the game. You're not supposed to be thrown into instances right at start ..

3 days of beta .. can't get 20+? I'm sure you have other life and stuff, but 1-10 take two hours, and 11-20 take 2-3 hours. If you can't spare five hours in a weekend to a MMO, it's clear already from this that sub based MMO's aren't for you. Calling them to a scam is another thing however, because that's not what they are. You do realize the game developers also need to make money? You may think GW2 is now awesome with not having subscription but once the developers realize their mistake because they thought this is a good marketing tactic, they'll insert a cash shop. Maybe first it'll start innocent with fashion, but eventually you'll see XP potions there and whatnot, eventually breaking the game.

The server costs and everything costs monthly. It's impossible to run and host a game if all you do is rely on the income from sold retail boxes. There's only so many boxes to be sold.. eventually the expenses cover the income.

Oh and by the way, TERA is also Korean. Actually the all succesful MMO's out there excluding WoW, SWTOR and LOTR are all Korean.
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 14:42   Link #229
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Well, Rift isn't Korean and it seemed to do pretty well for itself.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 14:53   Link #230
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Things I like about this game:

1. Combat. The combat is definitely the best of any MMO. Soloing open world BAMs as a warrior is incredibly fun and really reflects your skill.

2. Graphics. The graphics are amazing and the game runs extremely well even on MAX settings. Art style is also really well done.

3. MOUNT!!! Best mount system in any MMO. All future MMOs with mounts need to follow this system. Even if they don't have hit box based combat, they need to implement some method of not letting you get knocked down when you run through mobs.

4. Instance matching. I think WoW has this too? Still, very convenient method for finding parties when you want to play and not having to wait around camping the LFG channels to join a party that needs your role. Having this cross server means less populated servers won't go into a death spiral because of not being able to find people to run instances with.

5. Enchantment system. I like the westernization they did by reducing RNG. It makes it feel less like a gamble and more like an investment. Although they need to get rid of that system message that plays every time somebody +6 an item though.

6. World size. The world seems gigantic. If the other parts of the world are all filled up then this game probably has one of the biggest MMO game worlds.

However, I don't think I'll get the game for the following reaons:

1. Lancer class, this class just turns instances into your typical MMO tank and spank with boss specific gimmicks. I was expecting boss battles to be more like Vindictus where everyone needs to do their own job of staying alive with some support heals. The best part of the game is soloing/duo-ing open world BAMs, but the dungeons don't really make good use of the combat system when there's a tank soaking up the aggro.

2. Lack of customization, the character creator is actually pretty limited. Not being able to change height/body size really makes everyone look fairly similar (granted Aion went too far in the freedom of customization category). Also, there doesn't seem to be as many armor skins as I wanted, and ended up stuck looking the same from 20-30. Also, most of the Elin leather armors look pretty stupid compared to the cloth/plate versions. It feels like they designed the leather sets as an afterthought. Since I play warrior this is a pretty big factor.

3. Questing system. This game really does have one of the worst MMO questing systems. The quest dialog just isn't well written and none of the premise or intrigue in the lore reflects in what the NPCs are telling you. Granted, this isn't a big factor for me, but with the previous 2 points not having an interesting questing system does seal the deal for me though.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 14:55   Link #231
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by solace
That said, I don't get the complaining about the sexuality. The men in TERA aren't hypersexualized? They're all incredibly handsome, well built men (the kind you'd never see in real life). The elves all wear spandex and look like bishounen, chests half covered and perfect hair. The humans are "somewhat" normal, if only because while they are perfectly shaped they aren't as overdone as the other races. I can see people being uncomfortable with the Elin, with all of the social paranoia lately fearful of pedophiles around every corner, but otherwise none of the models are any more extreme than your average fantasy characters.
The men in Tera are well built and handsome but their assets aren't as blatantly exposed and marketed as the women's. It all comes down to the gear design and camera angles, which are all intended to make men who play the game sexually aroused.

As we all know sex sells, and this is no secret at all. The thing that I find disturbing in this society of ours is how we have turned women into sexual objects and almost forsaken their other qualities as human beings. This social aberration creates a gender inequality, which leads to a wide range of consequences, such as divorces, single mothers, suicides, anorexia and much, much more.

This subject is obviously too large and too complex, and obviously off topic, to cover in this thread. I might create a post in the general forums about it, I have been considering the idea for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
All he does is turn down what I say but doesn't care to elaborate. Just '' watch the video '' or .. Haven't you heard of GW2 ... I'm not interested in GW2, and I'm not going to play it. I don't care about the game, and I think it looks rubbish. It's combat is boring, and so on.. Do I need to continue? This is besides the point anyway, you're still not explaining it in your own words what should quests BE like to be -not- boring. Can't you do that? Then you don't even know what you yourself want.
I don't need to explain how quests could be much better when the subject has been discussed to death in multiple places all over the web. Since you claim to be a very knowledgeable person in the MMO department I thought it was obvious that you knew what Guild Wars 2 is doing, and how it will revolutionize the MMO industry forever, regardless of whether it success or fails, its new approach to questing through dynamic events is enough to make all new MMOS reconsider their approach to story-line-driven online games. If you don't know about Guild Wars 2 then please look it up, I don't feel the need to beat the dead horse.

Quote:
All in all, I do not understand your argument how a subscription based game is a scam? The developers must make money.. Making a game isn't free. Hosting and running a game isn't free.. So why should playing be free? And yes, it DOES keep away gold sellers. I also never said anything about trolls and such, all I said is that if you have to buy a retail box it's less likely for gold sellers to appear especially because TERA doesn't offer trial to test out the game for free.

The server costs and everything costs monthly. It's impossible to run and host a game if all you do is rely on the income from sold retail boxes. There's only so many boxes to be sold.. eventually the expenses cover the income.
The video I linked makes the most clear and concise explanation as to why the subscription method is outdated and is merely profit based. Subs were required in the late 90s when the internet was expanding and the new technology demanded companies to require sub fees in order to keep up with server costs. This is no longer the case, server costs are low, and games such as guild wars 1 and countless other online games demonstrated that they could remain profitable without asking players to fork out 15 dollars a month.

There are many ways to introduce revenue that are more ethical than sub fees, such as cosmetic changes or character slots.
__________________
"If you educate people, you cannot control them." ~Jacque Fresco
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:21   Link #232
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
The video I linked makes the most clear and concise explanation as to why the subscription method is outdated and is merely profit based. Subs were required in the late 90s when the internet was expanding and the new technology demanded companies to require sub fees in order to keep up with server costs. This is no longer the case, server costs are low, and games such as guild wars 1 and countless other online games demonstrated that they could remain profitable without asking players to fork out 15 dollars a month.

There are many ways to introduce revenue that are more ethical than sub fees, such as cosmetic changes or character slots.
Just to be clear, there is nothing "unethical" about this choice of a business model, nor for a business to choose the route they believe will maximize their profits. I mean, that's why businesses exist: to maximize their return on investment. It's not as if the other businesses employing other business models aren't also doing it as part of strategy to maximize their profits. Your choice as a customer is basically to decide if it's worth it to you or not; plenty have decided it's not worth it for them, and that's fine.

Consider that having more customers also increases the costs for maintenance and support, and in the early launch phase of a game it may be worth limiting the server populations by implementing a monthly fee. They can always decide later on to reduce or eliminate the fees, if they want to try a different business model and can handle the support load.


As for the "sexist" argument... feel free to make another thread if you really wish, but be aware that this argument has been made many, many times before on this Forum. I would at least ask that you perform a search before creating a new thread (as we don't like new threads to be created on topics that already have threads).

Suffice it to say there are different ways to market to different genders and demographics. The way society stereotypically markets to men is more likely to seem offensive because it's more obvious (visual), but marketing is all about exploiting people's natural tendencies and weaknesses. Sexual appeal is also used to appeal to women, but it often isn't the most effective means, which is why it isn't used as often or as prominently. You can argue that exploiting men's stereotypical weakness in this area is promoting gender inequality, but I think the root cause is the weakness, not the fact that it's being exploited. To overcome the weakness, I think men simply need to be aware that they are being marketed to/toyed with, and be able to rise above that in their behaviour. No one is a "victim" of the media, and people have the wherewithal to treat the opposite gender with respect regardless of whether this game's characters are being sold for their sexiness (or their "sexy cuteness" as the case may be).
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:41   Link #233
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Questing department? I see everyone complain about questing in EVERY game out there yet no one can explain what is '' non-boring quest system ''. There's really only so much you can have variety with when it comes to quest. It's not a quest if it doesn't belong to save/kill/gather/deliver something part.
More involved story. Not just text-boxes before/after, but stuff happening as you quest. Preferably voiced.

Yes, yes, I know what you're going to say, "but at the core it's still the same, it's just disguised" and I say yes you're right. But it's the disguise that matters. It's what keeps Skyrim interesting for so many hours, despite the quests all being "collect/kill X for Y."

Packaging matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Yes, because you can judge the game from first 10 levels. It's bullshit that most people judge this game by it's lvl1-10 area '' This game sucks, nothing happens, combat is boring '' .. It gets better on 20+, and music does too. You're constantly fighting BAMs or doing instances where music is always present, and it IS awesome. Don't call it bland if you haven't even heard it.
While I agree it's not a wise idea to toss a game because the first part sucks, "it gets better later" really isn't an argument in the game's favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
It's more likely for sub fees to guarantee good gameplay than for F2P cash shop. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they're talking about.
I'm curious, how is a sub fee inherently more likely to guarantee good gameplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Also the f2p games you mentioned are from NCSoft, which used to be p2p. This can't be used as an comparison.
Why not? Why the limitations? They are F2P games, so they are comparable. Whether they were 'brought over' or not matters little, they are still valid comparisons by virtue of being competitive MMO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
And yes, it DOES keep away gold sellers. I also never said anything about trolls and such, all I said is that if you have to buy a retail box it's less likely for gold sellers to appear especially because TERA doesn't offer trial to test out the game for free.
Having to buy a box did little to keep the gold sellers out of... pretty much any MMO I played. Your argument does not really match up to my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Also the way you judge the music is like you judge an anime. '' I watched the first episode, and it was boring. This series MUST suck ''. I see this a lot, and it's ridiculous. You can't judge a game or a series from when it starts off. And the combat thing was in general, there are a lot of people out there in various forums, including this, that say the game is boring.. And all they have done is play the starting area. The starting area is exactly that, learning the game. You're not supposed to be thrown into instances right at start ..
No offense, but aren't you doing this exact thing, if not worse, for GW2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You may think GW2 is now awesome with not having subscription but once the developers realize their mistake because they thought this is a good marketing tactic, they'll insert a cash shop. Maybe first it'll start innocent with fashion, but eventually you'll see XP potions there and whatnot, eventually breaking the game.
GW2 already has a cash shop planned. And so far no power has been sold. XP... I fail to see how it breaks the game. Level cap is level cap, and attainable by anyone regardless of whether they pay to get there faster or not. Nothing game-breaking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Oh and by the way, TERA is also Korean. Actually the all succesful MMO's out there excluding WoW, SWTOR and LOTR are all Korean.
And Ultima Online, and Everquest, and RuneScape, and Asheron's Call, and City of Heroes/Villains, and Dark Age of Camelot, and EVE, and Guild Wars, and Lineage... quite a lot of western MMO's, actually.
__________________
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 15:54   Link #234
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 30
I don't really get the F2P argument here... F2P means for me pretty much "will also play" or at least "will try it out".
Besides TERA I do have my eyes on GW2 as well as PSO2, who are both F2P and thus will be played by me.
I have no real complains about a game having supscription cost as I can afford it (well, not al but a few), but F2P with good quality is something I like.
I still play DC Universe Online because of this.
__________________
Kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 16:06   Link #235
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
The one nice thing about sub fees is that the game doesn't constantly harass you to buy something. You already bought the game. You pay a fee to play it monthly. The game does not blatantly try to sell you anything because it's already been sold to you.

Additionally I think the developers of subbed games have a greater responsibility to upkeep with content patches, bugfixes and keeping everything running smoothly. With the F2P games I often feel like the devs aren't very responsive--especially NCsoft, who has some of the worst customer service in the MMO world.

I do agree with Keroko about the quest system though. SWTOR had basic MMO quests, yet the packaging it came in made them interesting. I barely read any of the text boxes in Tera because they weren't really relevant. You don't even need voice acting, just set up conversations like in CRPGs. Older RPGs don't have voice acting on every character and they still manage to have good dialogue between NPCs and the player character--i.e. Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, etc.

I don't demand voice acting because that's terribly expensive and a big deal. But come on, put a little effort into making some back and forth between NPCs and your character. It's not that hard--hell, people do it in RPG Maker all the time.

It's clear that the developer of Tera assumed that a strong quest system and plot wouldn't make much of a difference in profit, and considering the target audience (twitch third-person shooter/action fans) I'm inclined to agree with their assessment. I know lots of folks who love games for gameplay alone and get mad when they have to sit through dialogue, cutscenes, read a lot of text--they just want to go out and kill stuff, and they'll just click through everything else.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:22   Link #236
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post

Packaging matters.


This has been addressed in this thread before so I'll keep it short ; Questing is not TERA's appeal, and it will never be. And those who play TERA, they're not looking for the questing. They're looking for the fun and intense combat that we do have, and that's why the game is so good. If you prefer quests over combat, then by all means, go play this almighty GW2 that everyone seems to think is superior to any other MMO out there.


Having to buy a box did little to keep the gold sellers out of... pretty much any MMO I played. Your argument does not really match up to my experiences.


How do gold sellers keep running if they have to buy a $50 box every time they get banned? And they get banned ALOT if the game company is actively banning them. Even though there are buyers, having 100 banned bots daily adds up to $5000, do they sell that much in a day? And the point was that if it has p2p it will at least reduce gold sellers, which in turn will make the game more enjoyable, meaning p2p > f2p.

No offense, but aren't you doing this exact thing, if not worse, for GW2?



No? Do you try out every single game out there? Probably not. Graphics and visuals in general are very important to me. GW2 already lacks in this department, I have seen some videos. The point here is that like with anime, Sugetsu is interested in TERA; yet judges it from first couple hours. It's like that when you look at anime chart and oh look, that seems like a nice series. But when it starts off slow, you say it's rubbish and never look at it again.


And Ultima Online, and Everquest, and RuneScape, and Asheron's Call, and City of Heroes/Villains, and Dark Age of Camelot, and EVE, and Guild Wars, and Lineage... quite a lot of western MMO's, actually.

Lineage is western.. since when? It was developed by NCSoft and to your information, NCSoft is Korean, thus the game is Korean. Couldn't find info on whether it was released on US or KR first but if it's developed by Koreans, it's Korean.
Syn has also raised some good points. Especially the customer service.. Even I have played Aion when it was p2p, and NCSoft was AWFUL. I don't know if anyone here has had anything to do with EME's support team yet, but they are excellent. Can you name any other developer out there, who has 24/7 live chat to address you with your problems, and even a 24/7 phone if you prefer calling?
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 17:44   Link #237
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
I tried EME's support when I tried entering my pre-order code and accidentally activated it for the wrong account (You have to make a new "game account" under your e-mail account for each closed beta key that only worked for 1 beta test period if you didn't preorder. They fixed it up really quickly by enabling bonuses on both so I could play both accounts during the entire beta period, and responded to me within the hour for multiple responses as I had some more questions. In my opinion, fantastic support. But I don't know much about MMO game support so I have no idea if it is "industry standard" or exceptional.

For the game music, I really like the music of the opening cinematic with the pegasi(?), as well as the introduction to Velika cinematic, the music of Velika itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJFK6O0U15g
:S

Last edited by Mow Yun; 2012-04-24 at 17:47. Reason: argh
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 22:17   Link #238
Lawfer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 30
The open beta is over, Tera is definitly not worth 59 dollars + 15 dollars subscription, RF Online and Aion are exactly the same, so you might want to play those for free instead.

Next mmo to try would be Guild Wars 2 who's open beta will be on April 27th, looks like the first game and if the first game is anything to go by the end-game content will probably be inexistant.

After that there is The Secret World, but there seem to be no hype and very little info on the actual game, so we will see.
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 22:21   Link #239
Mow Yun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
I can't see how someone can say Aion and Tera are "exactly the same," where the music, art, and gameplay are very different. The character style is fairly different as you would not fail to distinguish between an Aion character and a Tera character. While you might have a point where you say Tera is not worth 60 USD + subscription, I'm not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that Tera, RF Online, and Aion are "exactly the same."
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 22:36   Link #240
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
It's also not $60. Only EA games and other big-name releases are $60. Tera was $50, like games used to be for years until EA forced the price upward.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.