AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Old 2012-06-06, 19:57   Link #741
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, PvP-RP is the 'best of worlds' theoretically... except that usually people not used to RP are clueless about the domain. That's where strong moderation is essential (in addition to "dolt hunting" ).
Old 2012-06-06, 20:22   Link #742
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, PvP-RP is the 'best of worlds' theoretically... except that usually people not used to RP are clueless about the domain. That's where strong moderation is essential (in addition to "dolt hunting" ).
Every time I've seen PvP-RP it just devolves into an IC trollfest and gankfest, just like regular PvP servers, except with more creepy.
Old 2012-06-06, 20:34   Link #743
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Every time I've seen PvP-RP it just devolves into an IC trollfest and gankfest, just like regular PvP servers, except with more creepy.
Like I said, strong moderation --- I've seen it work on a couple of MMOs but then collapse later because the moderators vanished. What I more often see is an overload of non-RP gank-kids who mistake RP for "shooting fish in a barrel".
Old 2012-06-07, 10:53   Link #744
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Like I said, strong moderation --- I've seen it work on a couple of MMOs but then collapse later because the moderators vanished. What I more often see is an overload of non-RP gank-kids who mistake RP for "shooting fish in a barrel".
I never PvP'd any RPers, but it seems to be for you guys to "stay in character" it would restrict certain stuff u can and cannot do...seems like a rather bad handicap for competitive pvp.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:38   Link #745
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
I never PvP'd any RPers, but it seems to be for you guys to "stay in character" it would restrict certain stuff u can and cannot do...seems like a rather bad handicap for competitive pvp.
Wasn't accusing *you* of anything ... but you are certainly aware that a certain percentage of kids seek out RP-PvP because they mistakenly think it'll be "easy pickings".

When its working right in some MMOs, such people end up with bounties, unable to even use town services (they usually have outlaw dens for basic services) and the guards attack on sight. Additionally (or when the MMO isn't constructed for realistic consequences), the RP community puts a price on their head. I recall one MMO where several guilds were marked KOS because of their activities. The community RP'd them as insane anarchists. It was actually quite fun whichever side of the fence one was on.

The only restriction I can think of is that most RPers don't like to use teamspeak/vent because it breaks immersion. However, there are voice altering packages that let a dwarf sound like a dwarf, etc.
Old 2012-06-15, 17:00   Link #746
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So I decided to give the TERA trial a try, and a ridiculously long download aside, all went well.

Until I wanted to launch the game, and the play button did squat.

Anyone know a quick fix for this? 'cause the usual is 'reinstall the game' which is not really an appealing solution with downloads like these.
Old 2012-06-15, 17:03   Link #747
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
Try pressing it a couple times. For me, the play button responds to a double click.
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 17:47   Link #748
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nope, nothing. I see the play button light up as it's being pressed, but nothing happens.
Old 2012-06-15, 18:04   Link #749
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh... close the launcher and pull up your Task Manager and see if you've got a zombie launcher hiding in there. Kill it with fire.

I've had that happen a few times... I can't say I'm fond of the launcher anyway -- full screen pile of junk that it is.
Old 2012-06-15, 18:17   Link #750
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Nope, only one launcher. Tried the repair tool, but the problem remains still.
Old 2012-06-15, 18:21   Link #751
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yerg, I'm flummoxed. Did you buy a digital copy or a physical one?
Old 2012-06-15, 18:28   Link #752
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

It's a trial, so a digital download. No purchase yet.

Edit: Checking the web it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Seems to be something introduced with the last patch.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-06-15 at 19:41.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 19:46   Link #753
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Are people still playing this? The activity of this thread has decreased a lot from how it was earlier on .. Personally I haven't played TERA in couple weeks. The -only- thing to do at cap was to farm gear and with my ridiculously bad luck I couldn't even get anything.. I simply got bored.

And what about Nexus then? Nothing I expected, that's for sure. Hundreds of players on same location fighting stupid monsters to gain rep. You'd need to do Nexus like 20 times (x1 hour) to even get one piece of the best T13 gear .. That would be all fine and dandy if it didn't look like a powerpoint presentation with ALL THE LAG. Even with my high end gaming rig with all graphics set to minimum, I couldn't handle it .. Had I actually went and fought the monsters I would've died instantly as due the lag it was impossible to do any evasive moves or skills.

They really should instance Nexus. Like this one game which I read about .. It had similar setup to Nexus .. The monster would spawn on all instances at same time, and it's HP would be shared throughout the several instances so each player's attacks would count towards on killing it and it would then die at same time on all instances. Because as it is, Nexus is just unplayable.
Old 2012-06-15, 19:55   Link #754
Mow Yun

Send a message via AIM to Mow Yun
I'm still playing~

Alt-itis rules >_<;;

Also, daily quests are good for when you wake up at 3 AM and can't go back to sleep :P
Mow Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-15, 20:13   Link #755
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Well yeah I do play occasionally .. on alts. But what about when those alts are 60? I feel like I'll be bored again .. Battlegrounds will come out soon too but I can't participate on BG unless I get some badass gear ... But yeah .. getting that gear =_=
Old 2012-06-15, 22:17   Link #756
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I haven't been playing much this week (RL interruptus). But then I'm doing as much goofing around, roleplaying, and exploring as much as leveling. Alt-itus I have about 4 characters at lvl 30+ (after a few dozen rerolls).

The lvl 60 people I know are either running instances, their guilds, doing the politics, roleplaying... or running in Elin flash mobs. The GvG stuff is starting up...

I can see this sputtering after a few more months unless the upgrades happen faster. But I figured I could get six months of entertainment out of it at the least. That's about how long Rift managed to entertain me, til I capped and the two RP guilds I was in collapsed for various reasons.

Never-ending repeats of the same instances, the same raids, or purposeless PvP .... well, those are not ways to keep me interested in an MMO. New places, new storylines, changing the world, adding new function (e.g. housing, etc) - is more what I look for.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:00   Link #757
Desu
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

As much as I loved the gameplay I didn't end up renewing my subscription at the end of the initial month.

I believe they really missed the mark by launching in NA/EU with the current PVP system. If TERA had something along the lines of Lineage 2's sieges or even battlegrounds that weren't massively gear dependant I feel it would have far greater longevity.

I may consider subscribing again once battlegrounds are implemented but unless there is some realistic way to remain competitive without running endless PvE hardmodes for gear I can't imagine I'll stay long.
Old 2012-06-16, 15:37   Link #758
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Still playing, more because of the people and the roleplaying than anything else. Though alt-itis has struck at least a little and I'm playing those characters as well.

I really just wonder what the hell Bluehole was thinking releasing an MMO with no endgame. Even SWTOR wasn't this bad--after you finished the stupid, lazy, terrible game design called "hardmodes" you actually had a few big group raids (even if they sucked). TERA's got nothing but 2 max-level instances and 2 hardmodes of level 58 instances, and 2 hardmodes of the max-level instances...

Wait just a damn minute here. A year after WoW was released it had a boatload of instances for the high-level crowd.

I'll keep playing at least for a little while longer. Unlike Dist, I managed to get lucky and completely max out my main's gear early on, which means I don't even do much with her that's actually gameplay-related anymore... pretty much just RP.

Damn, I swear it's like this almost every time I get into one of these games. Squandered opportunity.
Old 2012-06-16, 15:56   Link #759
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Still playing, more because of the people and the roleplaying than anything else. Though alt-itis has struck at least a little and I'm playing those characters as well.

I really just wonder what the hell Bluehole was thinking releasing an MMO with no endgame. Even SWTOR wasn't this bad--after you finished the stupid, lazy, terrible game design called "hardmodes" you actually had a few big group raids (even if they sucked). TERA's got nothing but 2 max-level instances and 2 hardmodes of level 58 instances, and 2 hardmodes of the max-level instances...

Wait just a damn minute here. A year after WoW was released it had a boatload of instances for the high-level crowd.

I'll keep playing at least for a little while longer. Unlike Dist, I managed to get lucky and completely max out my main's gear early on, which means I don't even do much with her that's actually gameplay-related anymore... pretty much just RP.

Damn, I swear it's like this almost every time I get into one of these games. Squandered opportunity.
Its starting to remind me of many of these "12 ep" anime series... squandered opportunities, bad execution of great idea, etc. Like the idea is to create a money sink, extract money, let project/company fry, and move to the next start up.

O wait.. I've seen that pattern before
Old 2012-06-16, 16:05   Link #760
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

We'll see. The big update is supposed to bring a lot of things, and judging on how quickly the next big update comes after it we should be able to gauge how much the devs actually care.

To be honest though, a big content patch only a few months after release is at least partially impressive. The Koreans have been playing for a year, but many of the things that came with the game were likely big patches for them at one point.

If EME/Bluehole pushes out big content patches every 2-3 months and a full-blown expansion pack every year or 1.5 years, I can see the game lasting. But that's probably wishful thinking beyond all degrees of sanity.