AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-28, 14:28   Link #141
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
A troll is a person who creates controversy disrupting constructive discussion, in order to enjoy the degrading quality of dialogue, and usually with minimal participation. It's not a person who holds controversial ideas or uses controversial methods, though many favor labelling the later as trolls when losing the ability to discuss constructively. From what I read, I assume that since most of his works are not presenting clear distinction between good and evil, but blur the lines is disturbing a lot of viewers. In addition using each the medium's strengths in order to create and crush expectation and amplify emotional responses from his audience makes him even more controversial. I mean these are the "complaints" I understand, but have nothing to do with trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
... Because he said that he's making a maho shoujo anime with love & kindess, and at episode 3 OMGWTF LOL troll!
Hey! it was an anime about love and kindness, probably not how 10YO girls watching mahou shoujo would understand it, but definitely as adults define them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
... BTW just get the 3 endings of Saya no Uta, it's not bad for a decenie old visual novel...
Dunno, I liked Saya no Uta. It took advantage of the medium, created a captivating atmosphere. There wasn't anything trollish about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Because he constantly makes you get attached to characters and then he kills them.
Which is a good thing, death is trivialized by the hordes of redshirts
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 15:05   Link #142
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Gen's reputation for killing beloved characters is really overstated, imo.

Madoka Magica - 3 named characters of import die during the narrative, all but 1 are revived (and remain alive) through a butterfly effect caused by Madoka's wish.

Fate/Zero - Of course loads of characters die. The whole premise of the show is Mortal Kombat, magus style, so what do people expect? If anything, Fate/Zero takes a helluva long time getting around to character death given its premise. And one of the death scenes is amongst the most glorious death scenes I've ever seen. Most characters can only dream of a sendoff that great.

Psycho-Pass - 3 main cast members die. One is the main antagonist. Most main cast protagonists survive, including the two most important characters in the show.

Gargantia - 4 named characters of note die. Two are robots. The other two are old men. One essentially dies from old age.

This is just standard issue character death for any serious adult-aimed action-oriented show. Gen's not unusually bloodthirsty - He just puts the story first, like a good writer should, imo. And that means some characters die, since a certain amount of character death used well usually makes a story better, imo.
Old 2013-09-28, 15:20   Link #143
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Because he constantly makes you get attached to characters and then he kills them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Which is a good thing, death is trivialized by the hordes of redshirts
In my opinion people exaggerate and overemphasize Urobuchi's tendency to kill his characters as if it was something unique or absolutely peculiar. In reality he isn't really that much worse than many other authors that deal with the same kind of stories that he writes.

Let's take the "Butcher bingo" that is popularized on 4chan. When you try to apply it to "Suisei no Gargantia" you realize tha "Valvrave" that ran at the same time scores a lot higher on it.

In my opinion Urobuchi isn't much more violent than many other authors and he isn't even that much more moral breaking, Go Nagai was already on that level several decades ago, but Urobuchi's violence has a certain peculiar flavor, like I can tell that a violent or horrid scene is something that he wrote simply by watching it, it's a particular kind of perversion that is really unique of him, and that I can't quite describe with words, but it's really about quality not quantity.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-28, 15:53   Link #144
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I believe Gen earned this reputation because of Phantom where everybody and their mothers died. I agree with you two that it's overstated. His other works are rather standard when it comes to character deaths except Fate/Zero but it's a battle royale, so naturally there will be deaths.

It kind of irritates me that people call him and think of him as a butcher because he really isn't one.
Old 2013-09-28, 16:38   Link #145
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I believe Gen earned this reputation because of Phantom where everybody and their mothers died. I agree with you two that it's overstated. His other works are rather standard when it comes to character deaths except Fate/Zero but it's a battle royale, so naturally there will be deaths.

It kind of irritates me that people call him and think of him as a butcher because he really isn't one.
Personally I think that rather than senselessly killing characters, Gen is very good at taking plot threads to a logical, but not hoped for, conclusion. I think this is what gives his stories their particular flavor and is what makes some people consider him a troll. What happens is simple: usually what logically must happen next to a character isn't exactly what the fans want or expect and that can be seen by most folks as the writer trolling them.

Madoka Magica's infamous third episode is a rather fitting example of this. The audience was expecting Mami to gloriously win and show just how awesome being a magical girl was when what we got was the arguably more realistic result that's possible in any kind of battle: a loss with a heavy price to pay.

Btw I personally think that Fate/Zero and Gargantia aren't particularly good examples of Gen's plot weaving abilities since the first had it's ending set in stone from the beginning and the second only had a couple of episodes written by him (and it showed).

Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 17:15   Link #146
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

All of these above thing, they are just pale to what he gonna do to my favorite Kamen Rider. Although not particularly good as Fourze, Wizard at least has made a stand of it own. Now all I could feel is dreaded when thinking about Gaim and the future after it...

Seriously, it's like living through a male version of Puella, but more confuse.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 08:55   Link #147
totoum
Gamer

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I believe Gen earned this reputation because of Phantom where everybody and their mothers died. I agree with you two that it's overstated
Well Phantom sort of depends on the route,there's a bunch of them.The anime had a high kill count but I wonder how much of a say Urobuchi had in the adaptation.

Saya no Uta has a really high kill count as well in two of the three routes, but then again it is a horror story with one of the character definitely being too dumb to live.

Saya no Uta is maybe my favorite Urobuchi story,I won't deny that it can be quite flawed but it's the one where I got the most emotionally involved (and confused ).

Tags
urobuchi gen