AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2013-03-31, 03:59   Link #1761
Auxilism
オークシリスム

Quote:
Originally Posted by U<3Anime View Post
Rei's farewell fails to build any emotion because it was just rushed. Here's the door> here take my scarf> ok thx bye! Felt like I was watching one bad mahou shoujo parody at the end. There's good cheese but there is also bad cheese. I feel this show falls more into the side of bad cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I just saw the last episode .... too much emotion I love the last merger Vivid red, and as I thought Rei goes into his world ... and as I suspected I cried :'(
Two very different opinions. It didn't leave me in tears (not even Madoka Magica did and it seems that it was very emotional for many fans) but it led me to do this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
I had to find the raw version, download it and watch almost the whole thing again because I couldn't forward but it was worth it for this gif (avatar and signature safe).
So I have to say that I'm leaning more toward Chiaki_chan's opinion. The part where the antagonist understands the protagonists and vice versa is deeper than the other anime I've watched. When Rei docked with Akane, she also received all the memories of Aoi, Wakaba and Himawari. Usually the protagonist(s) beat it into the antagonist and then they start to understand or just talking happens. Yes, Rei changed her view after Akane shouted that she wanted to understand her because she saw her as a friend but the docking puts a nice finish to it.

For Rei, she knows how Akane felt when she lost her father and her mother had to be hospitalised because of the Engine which is similar to her losing bother her parents. Sure, Akane had told her in episode 5 and admitted that she still had her grandfather and sister so it wasn't that bad but Rei now knows the emotions she felt for the brief period that Akane was dealing with the initial shock (I doubt that a seven year old would immediately see the bright side).

Aoi also had a similar experience when she woke up in the hospital by herself without anybody that she knew beside her (in episode 9 she recounts it when they didn't want to leave Akane).

There are other traits that I see from the very first episode (which caused the opening to be a nice touch when it was played throughout the scene) but they are due to friendship and I think everyone is jaded towards those unless
Spoiler for Madoka Magica:

For Akane, she understands how depressing it was for Rei to spend years as a child by herself and only having animals for company (nothing against animal people). Furthermore, the sheer agony when the crow told her that she suffered seven years for nothing as her world would not be brought back. When all this is implanted, it's more believable that Akane and Rei would cry when Rei finally goes back as they know each other on a very through level. Thus, them docking and then saying, "See you later." is more emotional than most series where people become friends by bashing each other or being told what another person has done for them.

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-04-02 at 21:19. Reason: Debate which was turning nasty
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 05:15   Link #1762
Sheba
Wanna Be The G.I.R.L

Vividred Operation have attempted to be Madoka's Gao Gai Gar. Unfortunately, in my eyes, it fell short to accomplish it. I guess sugary optimism, "Our friendship cannot be measured" and yuri undertones could never convey the same feelings as nekketsu, "Hikari ni nare" and Nobuyuki Hiyama.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 08:48   Link #1763
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191
For Akane, she understands how depressing it was for Rei to spend seven years as a child by herself and only having animals for company
Hold on for a second there. Where did you get that Rei spent seven years by herself before they picked her up? From her memories, it looked like the accident happened when Rei wasn't much younger than she is now.

And it seems kind of convinient that a single girl and she alone would survive an event that killed everyone else on her world.

With the abilities that they have demonstrated, it is concievable that they recreated Rei to use in this trial of Akane's world.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 09:04   Link #1764
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

So if NGE had TTGL, we're still waiting for the answer to PMMM. VRO wasn't quite ridiculous enough.
Old 2013-03-31, 09:14   Link #1765
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
So if NGE had TTGL, we're still waiting for the answer to PMMM. VRO wasn't quite ridiculous enough.
VRO is the first attempt at a response, and an attempt for Mahou Shojou in the Post PMMM era to redefine itself? Well, there's Prism Nana next, but I don't expect it to be an answer better than VRO right now.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 09:49   Link #1766
Auxilism
オークシリスム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Hold on for a second there. Where did you get that Rei spent seven years by herself before they picked her up? From her memories, it looked like the accident happened when Rei wasn't much younger than she is now.
The energy created/gathered by the Engine is universal which causes them to test whoever taps into it to see if they are worthy. There was an accident on Akane's world seven years ago when the infinity Alone came to tell Kenjiro about the test whereas the crow told Rei that it had a meltdown and destroyed her world and she must destroy the Engine on Akane's world to restore hers. There's no mention of another accident related to the Engine's universal power so it wouldn't be totally illogical to link the two events.

As for appearances, she looks really young to me in the flashback but feel free to disregard my opinion as I'm not a people person so I don't really remember how they look like when they were younger.
Quote:
And it seems kind of convinient that a single girl and she alone would survive an event that killed everyone else on her world.

With the abilities that they have demonstrated, it is concievable that they recreated Rei to use in this trial of Akane's world.
They are also able to teleport or transport Rei to Akane's world so they could have brought her from her world to whatever dimension the crow was in before the Engine malfunctioned totally and then recreate her parents' death scene. I wouldn't completely ignore your point though.

After Rei understood what she needed to do, they would send her to Akane's world to prepare. Kenjiro had seven years to get the Vivid system (which utilises the Engine's power) ready, why wouldn't they give Rei the same amount of time to weaken her resolve to destroy another world for her own? This is a test for both worlds, not just one.
Old 2013-03-31, 10:25   Link #1767
Jimmy C

Seven years ago, Rei would have been just 7, much smaller than what she looks like now. Compare Akane from 7 years ago to now. Does Rei in her memories look that much different from what she looks like now? Not to me.
Old 2013-03-31, 10:42   Link #1768
Auxilism
オークシリスム

Well, some people look mature for their age and grow faster at different periods of time. I could even pull out that Rei is not fully human physically (she has superhuman abilities yet she looks average and the lab report confirms it in episode 11) but I'll admit that you have a fair point, albeit based on looks. If I changed my statement to years instead of seven years would you compromise?
Old 2013-03-31, 10:49   Link #1769
DuelGundam2099

I just finished it and I am quite divided by this series because it is a magic girl series, but it isn't horrendous (quite rare!). It also was nowhere near as pedobait-ish as I heard in the rumors. I can easily sum up the series with likes and dislikes:

-Amazing monsters of the week (10 in total)
-Comedy was not bad
-Nice art style
-Good pacing

Dislikes:
-The editing, the pointless fan service shots are the majority of the problem, but (pun not intended) the frames and editing were just handled poorly in general
-Fan service, while they do decrease it significantly in the second half it still is annoying
-Poorly treating their monsters of the week (in this case the Alone); YOU DO NOT MAKE A MONSTER BASED ON A BACTERIOPHAGE VIRUS AND MAKE IT DO NOTHING! And poor Box Type and Lantern Type, even mimetic beasts from Godannar, Matariel from Evangelion, and Lagharto from RahXephon got better treatment than that.
-Akane and Himawari were annoying; everyone else save from Kenjiro, Rei, and to a smaller extent Wakaba were just forgettable.

And I have a nice special rant for the final boss being so smug.
Spoiler for Last episode spoilers? Heck if I know:

This is probably the only time I will ever get to use this picture.

I also do not see the supposed mech references outside of the Kamina glasses (and orange is a terrible color choice unless you want to burn your coronas out).

I will return one day, I promise that much.

Last edited by DuelGundam2099; 2013-03-31 at 11:15.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 10:56   Link #1770
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Thus, them docking and then saying, "See you later." is more emotional than most series where people become friends by bashing each other or being told what another person has done for them.
Oh for them, surely. However, I can't help but note that from the viewer's perspective, Rei is "gone" for all of about 90 seconds. We know they'll see each other again, so I found it a little goofy that they had to deliver in the stinger.

Like... How can we miss her if she won't go away?
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 11:26   Link #1771
Auxilism
オークシリスム

Sure, looking into the future as a viewer negates some of the impact but I like to draw referrences to past events only when I'm thinking of a scene. Unless the character is a god of some sort, all future events do not affect whatever impact a scene has for a character or me.

Hey, that person could be someone who just looks a lot like Rei. Even if pichi (can't remember the bird's name) only obeys Rei, it could be a bird that resembles pichi as well! Yeah, I'm just fooling around for this paragraph.
Old 2013-03-31, 11:55   Link #1772
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The Alones had pretty good character designs, and most put up decent fights.

But on the whole, there wasn't enough distinctiveness between them. Too much reliance on pure beam spam.

The witches of Madoka Magica were weird, and not always the most threatening things imaginable, but at least you had no clue what exactly these monsters were going to do next.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:16   Link #1773
CptChaos

Overall it was an entertaining show. I think it might have been better if it simply focused on what it was during the first 4 episodes. Would have been cool if we would've seen more docking variations and stuff. Hopefully they explore more of that path in a possible second season, if we ever get one. Parts of the OST where catchy and the fan service was kinda refreshing with all the hot pants stuff.
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:46   Link #1774
Midonin
Last Engage

VROOM FINAL - Vivid Red Butt Punch!

My favorite show of the season.

Lots of things aired in lots of genres, but this combination of super robots, super Sentai (which is already partially super robot itself) and magical girls hit that sweet spot for someone like myself, and, as I am certain that I am myself, I loved it. I was hoping the Vivid girls would start fighting before the first commercial break, and I wish the simulcast had aired on Thursdays instead of Sundays, but these are minor nitpicks. Oh, and an Akane/Rei duet - if the first three endings can be considered the "themes" of the Vivids, then Red needs one too - the flow of new songs kind of stopped after "Vivid Shining Sky", and I desire more music.

But if Nanoha is the real robot show, Madoka is the Eva and I don't know how much longer this simile can hold up, having Vividred be the super robot show is something I'm a-okay with. Super robots are super heroes, where friendship and justice are key components of the universe and the more outlandish and specialized the design, the better. This works wonders for a magical girl show. Even had a bit of Den-O in it with Dr. Kintaros there. I even liked the fanservice, which had some stuff I haven't really seen elsewhere, like Akane's inflatable bathing suit. Even fanon(?) elements like the nature of what's in Himawari's bottles made the show more interesting to me. In the finale, even the use of stock footage captures the magical girl feel in a scientific setting.

I'd love to write about this universe and see it written about and drawn about. Though it has some elements from Strike Witches, I enjoy this one even more than the thing it's kind of a spiritual successor to.

On that note, has anybody noticed the subtitle of the PS3 game? Hyper Intimate Power, or, as it would be spelled in Japanese, お尻. Cheeky. (Pun mostly unintentional.)

Really glad to be here for this.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 08:04   Link #1775
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191
Well, some people look mature for their age and grow faster at different periods of time.
There is no way anyone would look similar between ages 7 and 14. For one, their height would almost double during that time. This applies even more if they grew faster. She's not that different from a baseline human. If the series creators wanted something that finished maturing at age 10, for example, she wouldn't look like a little girl.

Quote:
If I changed my statement to years instead of seven years would you compromise?
No way they picked Rei up years after the accident. Since it appears you won't do so, I've compiled some screenshots of how Rei and Akane looked in the past compared to now.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

See how Rei barely looks any different from shortly after the accident (while the fires were still burning and she was still looking for her parents) and at present time. Then, compare with how Akane looked 7 years ago and how she looks now. Note the difference in height especially.
That's why I say it's quite unlikely Rei has lived for years between the accident and arriving in Akane's world.
Also, it doesn't make sense that they would wait seven years before picking her up to use in the next test. Leaving aside the quite high possibility that she would have died or gone crazy in the meantime, it's assuming she even still cares about restoring her world by then. No, the best time to get her to accept their deal, no matter the conditions, is right after the accident, when she realizes all that she's lost.
Finally, I find it hard to believe that the Engines on worlds in two different timelines would just blow up at the same time.
Look, do you realize how many complicated steps you would need if Rei lived 7 years between the accident and arriving in Akane's world?
Meanwhile, there are no such complications if Rei was plucked from her world right after the accident.
Orcam's Razor.
Old 2013-04-01, 08:52   Link #1776
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Sooooo the final bad guy was a Giant ass Godzilla crow with the all seeing eye of Sauron that could spam shoot beams from its wings like Kira's Strike Freedom and the only thing that could defeat it was Vividred infinite punch of friendship.

Sounds good to me
Old 2013-04-01, 09:59   Link #1777
solidvanz
Special Operative

Send a message via Yahoo to solidvanz
Old 2013-04-01, 10:19   Link #1778
MeisterBabylon
~ Fists of Fury ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You know, the only thing lacking with VividRed is a tsundere personality, then she'd be a true Grade-S ZR
When I saw it, I just realized that I was looking for a dismembered hand somewhere.

And the battle raging to the tune of TIME JUDGED ALL.

Hell, even the LYRICS fit the setting!!

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 10:46   Link #1779
Auxilism
オークシリスム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
If the series creators wanted something that finished maturing at age 10, for example, she wouldn't look like a little girl.
Aren't you trying to say that she's not a little girl during the accident? Or are you saying that her appearance at age fourteen still looks like a little girl? I don't know about you, but how she looks at fourteen doesn't strike me as a little girl even if her height was reduced.

Quote:
See how Rei barely looks any different from shortly after the accident (while the fires were still burning and she was still looking for her parents) and at present time. Then, compare with how Akane looked 7 years ago and how she looks now.
I don't get what I'm supposed to be seeing. Akane has shorter hair? It can easily be cut from any length. A more frilly outfit? Rei's white dress looks frilly to me as well. Their faces? I honestly can't tell the difference; maybe Akane's is smaller when she was seven? That would have to do with body proportions which I will address below. I'm not aesthetically inclined or caring so please pardon my ignorance.

Quote:
Note the difference in height especially.
We don't see anything that can scale against a fully standing Rei before the accident so the difference between now and then can't be told from your images.

I may be digging my own grave, but I've scaled her according to the crow, taking into account the angle which it is bending at.
Images
Calculations inside
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
That's why I say it's quite unlikely Rei has lived for years between the accident and arriving in Akane's world.
Also, it doesn't make sense that they would wait seven years before picking her up to use in the next test. Leaving aside the quite high possibility that she would have died or gone crazy in the meantime, it's assuming she even still cares about restoring her world by then. No, the best time to get her to accept their deal, no matter the conditions, is right after the accident, when she realizes all that she's lost.
Look, do you realize how many complicated steps you would need if Rei lived 7 years between the accident and arriving in Akane's world?
Meanwhile, there are no such complications if Rei was plucked from her world right after the accident.
I think you missed the extra information I posted with regards to how she lived.
Quote:
as a child by herself and only having animals for company (nothing against animal people).
I'm saying that after the accident, she was brought to Akane's world to live there by herself. It would make sense that she spent quite a bit of time there as she has Phiisuke (the parrot(?)) and the birds flock to her willingly. Wakaba also confirms that she knows Rei longer than any of them (episode 11) which includes Himawari who was in the same class as her before Akane and Aoi transferred. You could argue that Himawari did not interact with anybody but she tells Akane that Rei did not talk outside of class which means that Wakaba did not talk to her (or tried to and failed) either.

Her interactions with the animals are a sign that she doesn't have the sole concept of destruction for herself which would take time. If she has to wait for a long time to get back everything she cared for, why wouldn't she? Her initial stance was, 'I'll do anything it takes' which would soften if she knew that the animals that she loved in Akane's world were in danger due to her. However, that may not stop her as she could treasure the animals back on her world even more (refer back to the posts where people discussed why Rei was still carrying out her mission although she seemed to have morals). Her world ultimately passed the test when she pleaded with the crow not to destroy Akane's world as it wasn't right to sacrifice one world for another.

Why test a whole world based on one person? I don't really get it either but Kenjiro was the only one who knew about the test as well so I guess they find a 'champion' (who is capable of suffering for others (Kenjiro devoted all his time to the Vivid system after knowing about the test although he gave up all of his patents because he knew that if he didn't do that and instead focused on making money, his world would be destroyed)) of a world and give it to them to see how they would react and if the rest of the world is worth keeping alive. If even the most moral person failed, the whole world should perish.
Quote:
Finally, I find it hard to believe that the Engines on worlds in two different timelines would just blow up at the same time.
Alternate dimension, not timeline; though you may argue that an alternate timeline is an alternative dimension.
The crow said, "The Manifestor's energy became critical..." and Rei restates her mission, "My duty is to destroy the Manifestor Engine..." Both entities are referred to Manifestor and they use the term 'the' instead of 'that', your' or 'this' which means that the two things are not completely independent. Furthermore, the energy that they tap into runs across universes which is why the test was made in the first place. It's like the ocean, one disturbance can build up into a tsunami.
Quote:
Orcam's Razor.
I think you're drawing a very fine line between assumptions and possible derivatives. If this goes on, I may just edit my post to years and ignore everything else you say. Not because you're a horrible person but I don't understand why most people who debate must go back and forth so many times until they are utterly defeated, outnumbered or completely crush the other side. I could also use the free time to do other things. Hey, you can't please everybody so why try so hard and spend so much effort?

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-04-01 at 12:09.
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 13:43   Link #1780
Marina2

The Raven looks very out of character in the last two ep.

She changed from a claim villian to a berserkvillian.

Tags
action, bishoujo, comedy, ecchi, science fiction