AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

View Poll Results: Which way to go?
Just try to like Americanized version and buy that. 23 38.98%
Work hard to learn Japanese and then buy the original manga. 36 61.02%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-20, 18:21   Link #41
Raiga
tl;dr

After enough bad scanlations and bad official translations, I ended up just buying all my manga in Japanese from Kinokuniya. I'm running out of shelf space but it's worth it.
Old 2012-05-20, 18:44   Link #42
Shimapan
Try me! <3

I would *under no circumstances* buy some Americanized crap.
I'm just glad that the manga companies over here don't treat their readers like utter retards and don't pull such crap.

For those unfortunate enough to have to deal with it: *don't* waste any money on it, you would just support their retarded schemes! (Get scanlations instead.) Perhaps that sends a message into their thick heads.
Old 2012-05-20, 19:42   Link #43
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
I would *under no circumstances* buy some Americanized crap.
I'm just glad that the manga companies over here don't treat their readers like utter retards and don't pull such crap.
Although american game, anime and manga distributions were (and a lot still are) utter crap, let's be fair european ones are not that much better... In german I have read all of Narutaru and the first half dozen volumes of futari ecchi, and both were censored (less than the american edition of narutaru), translations I have not really checked how bad (localized they can get). What I have heard is that french ones are loyal to the original, but that's second hand opinion from an algerian friend that translated in french a very popular mahou shoujo manga.

Quote:
For those unfortunate enough to have to deal with it: *don't* waste any money on it, you would just support their retarded schemes! (Get scanlations instead.) Perhaps that sends a message into their thick heads.
Generally, I agree with the approach though. Not supporting middle-men that leech fans and ask us to them for selling product inferior than the usually legal free alternative.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-20, 19:43   Link #44
Dr. Casey

As much as I hate Americanized garbage, I don't think there's any story that I'd care enough about to learn an entire language just to read it. Though if these two were absolutely my only two options (I'm going to assume there's no scanlations because that would break the hypothetical scenario), I'd honestly probably just avoid the manga altogether. I find the Americanized, xenophobic dubbing style of the olden days, where 'weird' Japanese names are changed to good old American names like Jimmy and Ashley and Tommy and Sue, so repulsive that I wouldn't subject myself to it.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 21:56   Link #45
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
(Get scanlations instead.)
No. Don't.

Seriously, you'll be lucky to find one well-translated manga out of every 100 scanlations out there. At the very least, any licensed translation will be done by somebody with formal training or JLPT certification or something. In my experience, most scanlations are done by incompetent kids with two years of high school Japanese and a dictionary.

I'm not saying there are no good scanlations out there. But there's simply too many manga and too many bored kids who think they know Japanese. There are definitely official companies that also have crap translations (I suppose I should thank Tokyopop for converting me permanently into a raw reader) but they can't compete with the sheer levels of idiocy you'll find in scanlations.

If you want to enjoy a series, chances are you'll have better luck with the licensed version. Or, learn Japanese.
Old 2012-05-23, 23:56   Link #46
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
No. Don't.

Seriously, you'll be lucky to find one well-translated manga out of every 100 scanlations out there. At the very least, any licensed translation will be done by somebody with formal training or JLPT certification or something. In my experience, most scanlations are done by incompetent kids with two years of high school Japanese and a dictionary.

I'm not saying there are no good scanlations out there. But there's simply too many manga and too many bored kids who think they know Japanese. There are definitely official companies that also have crap translations (I suppose I should thank Tokyopop for converting me permanently into a raw reader) but they can't compete with the sheer levels of idiocy you'll find in scanlations.
This is absolutely true, but...

Quote:
If you want to enjoy a series, chances are you'll have better luck with the licensed version. Or, learn Japanese.
... since in both cases it will take at least a couple of years and in one way or another a lot of money to have a similar quality of translation to a scantilation (since the good translators do not work in manga translations). In addition a lot of manga will never get licensed because their content is offensive if not illegal in UK and USA.

Now unlike anime (which are broadcasted for free), manga always cost and even if a small fractions of that cost goes to the artists' pockets it's not morally legitimate to not support the magazines and publishers in any way. Practically though, neither japanese publishers nor foreign distributors make it easy to buy them, even digitally.
Old 2012-05-24, 01:27   Link #47
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I buy official English translations. Though I don't read much manga; only a handful of series that I follow. I can gloss over bad romanising or weird name orders and honourific translation to enjoy a series I love. It's a minor detail that is easily mentally filtered out.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 05:08   Link #48
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女

Quote:
No. Don't.

I don't know what "high school Jap" means but two years of formal education of Japanese should be at least N3 or something level....Most of the crappy scanlations are more like first or second attempt kind of stuff, or so it seems to me...
Old 2012-05-24, 05:45   Link #49
Malkuth
Banned

JLPT-N2 is in theory the language proficiency of a japanese person that has finished high school... if I remember correctly
Old 2012-05-24, 08:38   Link #50
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I don't know what "high school Jap" means but two years of formal education of Japanese should be at least N3 or something level....Most of the crappy scanlations are more like first or second attempt kind of stuff, or so it seems to me...
Well I'm generalizing, of course. I don't really know how much education scanlators have, but it's clear that most aren't proficient enough to accurately translate manga. Even the "big" scanlation groups with overall cleaner translations still make stupid errors like translating あんたなんか知らない! as "I don't know you!" and so on.
Old 2012-05-24, 13:39   Link #51
tyson123g
Kaizoku-ō Ni Ore Wa Naru

Well, I don't hate scanlations.

In fact, the series I am talking about, I am even up to date till the latest, i.e. 817th chapter.

But the question is about collection. And of course, I will read that as well, those are not going to stay in shelves as I love to re-read stuff again and again.
Old 2012-05-29, 21:42   Link #52
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author

I'm already doing the latter. Though not necessarily just for reading manga.
I'm one who admires original works, as in the original unaltered content. Some publications already like to omit or censor some things on a whim or simply translate them incorrectly at times. Then there's nuances which only make sense in the original language. I just feel I miss out on too much when reading translations instead of the actual words. Hell, something as small as kimi to hashiru being translated "I'll go with you" instead of "I'll run with you" tends to strike some small nerve in me.

Now, if you're just looking to do as I've stated, that still may not be enough to call for learning a whole language (maybe it is, it's your choice). But I for one am interested in Japanese culture as well. And genuine interest will get you much further than a simple whim or impulse.

Another option however, may be to look up fan translations as they sometimes can be more accurate (or if there's multiple translations, something to give you differing perspectives). Then you can still purchase your official copies to support the industry but get something closer to resembling the original content as well.
Old 2012-05-30, 16:16   Link #53
NanoDesu
Beyond the Event Horizon

As somewhat of a no-nonsense purist, I almost feel offended when I see American translations try so desperately to Americanize things to make titles more accessible for a wider audience (a wider audience, mind you, that almost never buys the product). There are things called footnotes, America - use them.

I am still desperately trying to erase the American Spice and Wolf light novel covers from my memory. But those things still haunt my dreams...

At the same time, I don't think it's worth it to learn Japanese just to enjoy anime. Kanji takes ages to learn, and the grammatical and syntactical structure of the language is so different that it's a whole different ball game from learning languages like Spanish and French. I started learning because I took an internship in Tokyo and I didn't want to get mugged and left for dead in an alleyway, and then wanted to finish what I started (I kid of course, Tokyo isn't that dangerous even if you don't know a lick of Japanese, but it's nice to be able to communicate with people).

I'd like to think fan translations are faithful enough and made by people who respect the culture enough that they're close enough to the main thing, and if you read/watch those you're not that far off from the true experience. Then again, as a fan translator, I'm probably super biased... so take that with a grain of salt lol.
Old 2012-05-31, 21:52   Link #54
Haladflire65
*Artist

I think you should buy the originals. If you really want to try reading them, you can go through them side-by-side with fan scanlations. Maybe you should learn very basic Japanese - since you're already interested in the language, you've probably been doing that already. I don't like Americanized translations, especially when they do things like sometimes alter artwork to tone things down for Western audiences (ex. in Japanese FMA Greed was secured to a cross, in the translation he's on a slab of wood or something). You get unchanged Japanese sound effects too, which I find annoying... you lose the little things like sometimes the original cover designs and removable jackets, I dunno, it's just not the same for me. On top of all that, translated manga's so expensive

Manga usually isn't written in really advanced Japanese, a lot of them have the furigana too (seinens and joseis don't I think). Once you read some you get used to the patterns of Japanese in manga. I think original manga would look much cooler as a collection too...
Old 2012-06-01, 00:06   Link #55
NanoDesu
Beyond the Event Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Manga usually isn't written in really advanced Japanese, a lot of them have the furigana too (seinens and joseis don't I think). Once you read some you get used to the patterns of Japanese in manga. I think original manga would look much cooler as a collection too...
One caveat I would offer: the language they use in original manga is really, REALLY slangy. Which is why it's important to build up a decent foundation before you even try to touch manga, since you might end up learning slangy Japanese before proper Japanese and that would be really counterproductive. And yeah, seinen and josei do not have furigana.

Also, I agree with Haladflire 100% on the cost point. WHAT THE HELL AMERICA WHY AM I PAYING $12 PER VOLUME OF MANGA. They sell these things for like 450 yen in Japan you know...

Granted, the way the USD:JPY rate is going 450 yen is going to be $450 sooner or later... *knocks on wood*
Old 2012-06-01, 02:12   Link #56
Ithekro
Space Battleship

Well...it would logicaly be the counter to Japanese BD prices. The US comic market going up and up and all.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:42   Link #57
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
I am surprised at the pool results...

Shipping is pretty expensive if you don't live in Japan... I think I started cause I wanted to read dem LN and VN... 3/4 years ago... not that it was difficult due to proficiency in Chinese...

Edit: Shipping fee table Location 2

Last edited by Izayoi; 2012-06-01 at 04:04. Reason: Jesbus it is 2/3 AM
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 14:05   Link #58
Destined_Fate

I prefer localized if possible but most great things from Japan will never be localized so learning Japanese is the only true path.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 14:58   Link #59
Ryuudou

Original definitely. Anyone who says otherwise isn't a true fan.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 15:12   Link #60
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

you have it all wrong... it's not
Work hard to learn Japanese and then buy the original manga. The order is wrong.

“I’ll buy Japanese books when I know how to read them” = “I’ll buy Final Fantasy when I know how to play it” #notgonnahappen #
I think this quote is from ajatt's twitter.