AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-13, 19:57   Link #241
gaiar31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
http://girls-und-panzer.jp/mecha_4go.html Official Site send Tank data now!!!!!!
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 21:38   Link #242
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I really want to see more of Erwin. That peaked cap gets me every time (Erica Hartmann was my favorite in SW largely due to the cap ).

Rest of the episode was meh, especially the laughably bad CGI. The giant forehead character designs do nothing for me. I'm actually disappointed by the lack of fanservice (other than tank service). A pantyshot or two would liven things up considerably.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:07   Link #243
ZeKeR
somewhere in the armory
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Armacham Replica Training center
btw are the tanks revamped for autoloaders? If I can remember, a tank shell is really heavy in the heavier tanks (I still find the M3 Lee as the most unusual tank aside from the Mk. IV and the FT tank) and I'm guessing that there will be no static emplacements such as 88's and that weird-ass PaK 43s, stationary arty like the american 105 or casemates that house 155's (btw there was no cannon of this caliber that was made into a horizontal shooting gun right?)
__________________
lets roll
ZeKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 23:39   Link #244
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
So, as I was watching, I began thinking of what kind of world would the art of panzer be a tradition of women? My current train of thoughts leads me to a pretty dark history.

Two things to consider:
- Why does Senshado use tanks from the WW2 era? Why not something afterwards?
I may miss out something, but i thought it was obviously that because WW2 was the golden age of tank warfare? Right after WW2 ends, with the introduction of MBT (Main battle Tank) making the concept of light, medium, heavy tanks (and eventually tank warfare) obsolete. Then of course right after that, the role of tank destroyers were replaced by missile mounted armored cars and gunships.


So... unless they want to go fictional, otherwise WW2 is the only option for a tank warfare anime
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:06   Link #245
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
So, as I was watching, I began thinking of what kind of world would the art of panzer be a tradition of women? My current train of thoughts leads me to a pretty dark history.

Two things to consider:
- Why does Senshado use tanks from the WW2 era? Why not something afterwards?
- Why is Sensha-do considered traditional martial art for girls?


My current conclusion is that everything stems from a much bloodier WW2.


For some reason, it was likely that women (and by extension, girls) had to be the ones to operate the tanks. Assuming that the start of WW2 is the same as OTL, something must have happened during the war to have women be the ones operating the tanks. My guess is that one way or other, there was a massive wave of deaths among most of the troops fighting. It would be some kind of bioweapons, it could be chemical weapons, but for some reason a large hole in the manpower happened that forced women to be the ones operating the tanks. Basically, we're talking about a death rate that might exceed the 70 million of WW2.

Now assuming the above did happen, why has tank development seemingly stopped? Well, my assumption is that the war came to a more total conclusion than what happened in OTL. Instead of just the Third Reich crashing down, we have at least the Comintern collapsing, with possibly a more general collapse. With everyone not being up to fighting, and with the women now holding a major card (tanks), possibly we have a new version of the Kellogg–Briand Pact, combined with the idea of the United Nations. Basically, war itself has been finally banned after the bloodiest conflict in history. Of course, this does not mean the outlawing of military forces (who knows when another Hitler or Stalin might come around), but in general we have conversion of large military assets into a more civilian purpose, such as building a town on top of an aircraft carrier (why? who knows?) or using tanks as a form of (possibly non-lethal) martial arts.


I also had a short brainstorming session concerning Miho, but I'll save that for later.
Shall I post that in the ASB subforum for you?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:49   Link #246
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
I actually wouldn't mind. Think of it as the return of the Sumeragi
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 06:56   Link #247
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
btw are the tanks revamped for autoloaders? If I can remember, a tank shell is really heavy in the heavier tanks (I still find the M3 Lee as the most unusual tank aside from the Mk. IV and the FT tank) and I'm guessing that there will be no static emplacements such as 88's and that weird-ass PaK 43s, stationary arty like the american 105 or casemates that house 155's (btw there was no cannon of this caliber that was made into a horizontal shooting gun right?)
It'd be hilarious fun to see girls trying to manage the M3 or any of the T-35. One good thing in their game is that they don't need to worry 'too much' about machine gun ports on their tanks I suppose... (I hope that such are omitted given the nature of the sport).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
The older the tank, the more impractical, the more honorable it is.
MFW there's no trench warfare where you can drive the mule across shellshocked landscape.
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 07:26   Link #248
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
MFW there's no trench warfare where you can drive the mule across shellshocked landscape.
Hmm... Love Landraiders? How about a Mark V Kangaroo?
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 14:04   Link #249
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
btw are the tanks revamped for autoloaders? If I can remember, a tank shell is really heavy in the heavier tanks (I still find the M3 Lee as the most unusual tank aside from the Mk. IV and the FT tank) and I'm guessing that there will be no static emplacements such as 88's and that weird-ass PaK 43s, stationary arty like the american 105 or casemates that house 155's (btw there was no cannon of this caliber that was made into a horizontal shooting gun right?)
I doubt that they would have autoloaders - that would detract from the flavor of the tanks, and the rounds aren't very heavy until you get to the 100+mm range. 88mm rounds are around 15kg, so they should be decently portable. And of course, the fact that the really heavy rounds are hard to manage and that they reduce the rate of fire should be a feature of the show. And of course, we see manual loading in the ep.1 ED.

The Soviets used 152mm in their assault gun/tank destroyers all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I may miss out something, but i thought it was obviously that because WW2 was the golden age of tank warfare? Right after WW2 ends, with the introduction of MBT (Main battle Tank) making the concept of light, medium, heavy tanks (and eventually tank warfare) obsolete. Then of course right after that, the role of tank destroyers were replaced by missile mounted armored cars and gunships.
To add to this, World War II was the period where tank theory was born. Before the war, everyone had very different ideas how to use them:

French: World War I+
British: Infantry and Cavalry support
Soviet: Scatter gun approach, but coming to some correct conclusions
German: Blitzkrieg with inadequate tools
American: Boring tanks with boring names
Italian: Getting the newest tools as soon as possible

And so there are lots of things that had to be explored; things like the difference between 1-, 2- and 3-man turrets, or armor types or ammunition types. Later tanks tended to have these figured out, so they're not as fun to play with. Although tanks from 1960 - 1980 period would have been pretty neat. They're not as well known, though and they would work quite differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
It'd be hilarious fun to see girls trying to manage the M3 or any of the T-35. One good thing in their game is that they don't need to worry 'too much' about machine gun ports on their tanks I suppose... (I hope that such are omitted given the nature of the sport).
Machine guns are shown in use in the ED, so it might not be exclusively tank versus tank combat.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:09   Link #250
gaiar31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012


Type boss unit

Type10 Japan

Weight 43.25 tonnes (standard) 48 tonnes (fully)
Length 9.485 m
Width 3.24 m
Height 2.30 m
Crew 3 (commander, gunner, driver)
120 mm L44 smoothbore cannon /M2HB 12.7 mm machine gun/Type 74 7.62 mm machine gun

Unit cost ¥954 million; $11.3 million (2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_10


Biggest than Miho panzer iv X2 times
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 06:00   Link #251
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Also, completely WRONG era.



I also have reason to believe this was bigger than a P4.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 09:00   Link #252
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
You want big...they should just throw in a Jagdtiger...or ISU-152
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 09:05   Link #253
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I really want to see more of Erwin. That peaked cap gets me every time (Erica Hartmann was my favorite in SW largely due to the cap ).
That name made me facedesk so hard. Erwin is a purely _male_ German name, and an uncommon/old/out of fashion one. "Erwin" is what you call your grandfather, not the name of a teenage girl. >_<
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 11:46   Link #254
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
That name made me facedesk so hard. Erwin is a purely _male_ German name, and an uncommon/old/out of fashion one. "Erwin" is what you call your grandfather, not the name of a teenage girl. >_<
Erwin is based on Erwin Rommel JUST as Caesar is based on Julius Caesar ("VENI-VIDI-VICI"). Some of the key people working on Girls und Panzer worked on Strike Witches as well.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 12:58   Link #255
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
That name made me facedesk so hard. Erwin is a purely _male_ German name, and an uncommon/old/out of fashion one. "Erwin" is what you call your grandfather, not the name of a teenage girl. >_<
Technically, supposing this is an alternate history world, then it is possible that formerly male names can now be used for females without much raising of eyebrows. Furthermore, another possibility is that given this is Japan, the convention of feminizing names might just be ignored. Basically, what applies to our world does not necessarily apply to this world.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 14:22   Link #256
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Oh, right. German. Now that I think of it, why isn't it "Mädchen und Panzer" or some such?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 14:38   Link #257
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: High Seas Fleet
There is something bothering me, the Pzkw 38 (t) of the class president need 4 crew members, but the anime only use 3, the girl with the half megane will need to point and load the gun, all while she is the tank commander (the president is in the hull in the position of radio operator-machine gunner)
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 15:31   Link #258
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiar31 View Post


Type boss unit

Type10 Japan

Weight 43.25 tonnes (standard) 48 tonnes (fully)
Length 9.485 m
Width 3.24 m
Height 2.30 m
Crew 3 (commander, gunner, driver)
120 mm L44 smoothbore cannon /M2HB 12.7 mm machine gun/Type 74 7.62 mm machine gun

Unit cost ¥954 million; $11.3 million (2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_10


Biggest than Miho panzer iv X2 times
And it actually appeared this episode.

Spoiler for Episode 2:


Now to wait for raws for the episode.
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 15:39   Link #259
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 31
^ I've learned a new word and sexual orientation. Apparently I'm somewhat a tanksexual.

I'm loving this alongside my regular architecture, gun and food pornography.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 16:14   Link #260
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Okay, there goes half of my theory.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.