AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-19, 20:49   Link #5021
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
I wonder why the MAUS didnt shown up in the first rally point before starting the battle?
Size and weight. And the fact that, had it been on the field, it would have either broken down (this was a finicky machine, even more than the Tiger P!), or gotten bogged down in the terrain (it was heavy, and actually needed special roadways to transport). Frankly, I think it was sitting in that housing complex because it was the only place it could even MOVE properly!
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 20:55   Link #5022
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Why people put only "calm" and "panic" as the two choices is beyond me. Isn't there a middle ground?
Military training is supposed to stamp out the latter (flight) and have the former (fight) prevail in the high pressure situations soldiers are usually find themselves in, so I don't think so. And just how much of that kind of indoctrination are we supposed to expect from high school girls anyway, even from a serious-business school like Black Forest?

Lets face it, their tankers scattered like frightened chickens. Some measure of control managed to assert itself by the time Ooarai started rolling down the hill (see the Jagdpanzer IVs), but by then it was too late to do anything.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 20:59   Link #5023
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Massive heavier armour and large caliber is very effective at Urban warfare, with the powerful gun can demolish large structures with a single shot and the armor to withstand close encounters with enemy anti-tank weapons.
Not really. Those vehicles were mostly lost to German STuG IIIs. The German heavies were best off firing at targets at long ranges (1000+m). In cities, they lose that most important advantage so they're best employed outside of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Size and weight. And the fact that, had it been on the field, it would have either broken down (this was a finicky machine, even more than the Tiger P!), or gotten bogged down in the terrain (it was heavy, and actually needed special roadways to transport). Frankly, I think it was sitting in that housing complex because it was the only place it could even MOVE properly!
It's still bound to break down! Even the Soviets didn't try to drive their Maus, and I'm sure that Maho raided Kubinka to get hers.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:01   Link #5024
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
They probably paid to have it built. Some company still build these these it seems, since Ooarai was able to get a Hetzer kit.

Ooarai has a Tiger (P). There are no surviving Tiger (P)s in the world. And only one used in combat as a command tank. The rest were converted into other uses before being destroyed in those other uses.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:03   Link #5025
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
It's still bound to break down! Even the Soviets didn't try to drive their Maus, and I'm sure that Maho raided Kubinka to get hers.
Err, the Kuromorimine Maus is likely a replica made in-house rather than the one on display in Russia in the real world. Much like the case of Oorai's Tiger P actually, and likely many of the tanks in-show too.

I doubt many of these are vintage WW2, and are more probably less than a generation old (25~ years). On some level, they're just functional replicas.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:07   Link #5026
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Ooarai tanks are all at least 20 years old since they found them left over from the last time the school has a sports team. And since they were marked with numbers 1-8, it seems they had only 8 tanks back then (or else they sold the higher numbered tanks).

I keep wondering if the tank program's shut down at Ooarai had anything to do with Shiho's time in high school. The shut down and her likely age seem to match up.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:10   Link #5027
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
As an aside, I think this is the first time that the Ooarai team called Miho "Taichou." I can't recall them calling her that anytime before.
The student council has done it before, but I can't say for sure if any of the others have.
__________________
<img src=http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/5491/girlsundpanzermakoxsodo.png border=0 alt= />
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:15   Link #5028
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
*Shrugs*

Why people put only "calm" and "panic" as the two choices is beyond me. Isn't there a middle ground?
Because when you're calm you live, and when you panic you die.

Paraphrasing from something I was once told.

Note fighter pilots - hell, pilots of any sort - who stay calm even when the plane is falling apart all around them. Chuck Yeager is a great example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Military training is supposed to stamp out the latter (flight) and have the former (fight) prevail in the high pressure situations soldiers are usually find themselves in, so I don't think so. And just how much of that kind of indoctrination are we supposed to expect from high school girls anyway, even from a serious-business school like Black Forest?

Lets face it, their tankers scattered like frightened chickens. Some measure of control managed to assert itself by the time Ooarai started rolling down the hill (see the Jagdpanzer IVs), but by then it was too late to do anything.
Exactly.

Now, in all fairness, we shouldn't expect high school girls to be on the level of seasoned tankers, as obviously they won't have the same amount of time with their machines. However, at the same time, I'm inclined to hold Black Forest to a higher standard, because they've been all serious business about this shit.

Really, after all of Erika's talk, at the end Black Forest has not impressed me throughout this match. It's quite clear that their wins have been less on tactical skill, and more on big guns, big tanks, formation tactics and sticking to the plan. And when their plan falls to pieces, so do their girls.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:31   Link #5029
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Err, the Kuromorimine Maus is likely a replica made in-house rather than the one on display in Russia in the real world. Much like the case of Oorai's Tiger P actually, and likely many of the tanks in-show too.

I doubt many of these are vintage WW2, and are more probably less than a generation old (25~ years). On some level, they're just functional replicas.
It was a joke. I was going to go on with a remark about them getting the Kubinka Maus to run even though it's completely rusted through, but now I can't.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:46   Link #5030
arkhangelsk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Exactly.

Now, in all fairness, we shouldn't expect high school girls to be on the level of seasoned tankers, as obviously they won't have the same amount of time with their machines. However, at the same time, I'm inclined to hold Black Forest to a higher standard, because they've been all serious business about this shit.

Really, after all of Erika's talk, at the end Black Forest has not impressed me throughout this match. It's quite clear that their wins have been less on tactical skill, and more on big guns, big tanks, formation tactics and sticking to the plan. And when their plan falls to pieces, so do their girls.
I'm inclined to be even less generous. As I said, if you believe Miho OVA3, in KMM Armor is not only a club or elective (one class), but an actual department and thus full-time. Plus it is KMM so some of them should have been playing even before High School. Plus they get to use live shells all the time.

You would think they'll all at least reach competency by now.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:53   Link #5031
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Military training is supposed to stamp out the latter (flight) and have the former (fight) prevail in the high pressure situations soldiers are usually find themselves in, so I don't think so. And just how much of that kind of indoctrination are we supposed to expect from high school girls anyway, even from a serious-business school like Black Forest?

Lets face it, their tankers scattered like frightened chickens. Some measure of control managed to assert itself by the time Ooarai started rolling down the hill (see the Jagdpanzer IVs), but by then it was too late to do anything.
That wasn't even close to "scattering like frightened chickens". I suppose this is where we have a difference in views: It could have been a lot worse, but how they handled it showed they had enough training. Anything less would have resulted in a greater catastrophe.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 21:58   Link #5032
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
They seem to be competent tank drivers and can do field repair. They also are very good at formation driving. Their accuracy could use some work and they seem a bit too ridged in their tactics.

Tank 17 was going to turn around to deal with the Hetzer but was taken out by the StuG as Miho started her retreat.

Ooarai's accuracy isn't much better. But they are better. Aside from the Maus (they all hit the Maus) The only teams that seem to hit their targets at least part of the time are the StuG, the Panzer IV, the Hetzer, and the Type 89 (which does them no good anyway). The Char B1 doesn't seem to hit much and the M3 Lee doesn't hit much either. The Type 3 never got a shot anyway and the Tiger (P) crew is new at this, though they hopefully will be up to hitting once the ranges get close like Miho tends to fight.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:02   Link #5033
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Well its good to see this again and wow Miho jumping so far on little momentum
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:05   Link #5034
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Their accuracy could use some work
To be fair, they're using WW2 technology, where it took minutes to get a good aim. Their accuracy was quite good given that they were firing on the move.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:37   Link #5035
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Force the Oorai tanks to remain buttoned up, slowing them down. The explosive effect may also, as Ithekro said, cause the tanks to throw a track, or at least damage one.

IRL HE is designed to throw shrapnel (bad for infantry!) and destroy enarmored targets by making big holes in them, such as buildings, etc, but they fare very poorly at penetrating armor.
Speaking of which...I can't remember but have they used HEAT before in any of the previous matches? Against simple RHA of WWII armour, it's quite effective equalizer at close range
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:40   Link #5036
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of which...I can't remember but have they used HEAT before in any of the previous matches? Against simple RHA of WWII armour, it's quite effective equalizer at close range
1. None of the guns used had HEAT rounds for them during WW2.
2. How are you going to simulate HEAT rounds?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:42   Link #5037
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of which...I can't remember but have they used HEAT before in any of the previous matches?
They all use special non-penetrating ammo, so no HEAT. As for the high explosive rounds, my interpretation was that Maho used them for effect and disruption (see how it made Ooarai paused for a bit as their tanks were peppered by debris).
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:43   Link #5038
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of which...I can't remember but have they used HEAT before in any of the previous matches? Against simple RHA of WWII armour, it's quite effective equalizer at close range
HEAT ignores range for the purpose of penetration. However, the World War II-era HEAT wasn't all that good, and most AFVs just used high-velocity AP rounds instead. Even the 122mm and 152mm Soviet guns that should have benefited the most from HEAT rarely ever used it because they weren't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
2. How are you going to simulate HEAT rounds?
Just give those rounds higher simulated penetration values. They don't actually have to do more real damage.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:57   Link #5039
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
HEAT ignores range for the purpose of penetration. However, the World War II-era HEAT wasn't all that good, and most AFVs just used high-velocity AP rounds instead. Even the 122mm and 152mm Soviet guns that should have benefited the most from HEAT rarely ever used it because they weren't worth it.
HEAT shell has lower velocity in general. = shorter range.

Quote:
1. None of the guns used had HEAT rounds for them during WW2.
IIRC, D-25T on IS-2 had HEAT. So did KwK 40

As for how you sim them...well, it's all calculated by computer anyway
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:58   Link #5040
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
IIRC, D-25T on IS-2 had HEAT. So did KwK 40
*Facepalm*

Forget I said that,
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.