AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-05, 13:09   Link #6101
Ithekro
Warning

That or the international tournament is still this school year. Do we really know what season Senshado is? I recall marching band season was basically in the fall of the year and after Novemeber we didn't march again the rest of the year unless to promote the band itself locally or march in a parade. All the local competitions were over.

The tournament seemed to start not all that long after the school year started so a spring sport? (the winter battle being fought someplace there is usually snow....though given how dark it was, that might have been winter)
Old 2013-04-06, 06:46   Link #6102
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Images
You're a funny gal Saori, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 07:19   Link #6103
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
But... But there are NO tanks in Commando! I do recall some in Rambo 3 though...
Old 2013-04-06, 08:28   Link #6104
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Images
Megami

Last edited by Ravenblitz; 2013-04-06 at 08:54.
Ravenblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 12:09   Link #6105
Ithekro
Warning

Whelp, all those mixed Yamato 2199 - Girls und Panzer videos resulted in something different.

Behold:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=34840069

The weakest ship on the team. But the one with the most GUTS.

(That challenge to put Queen Elizabeth II as a teen Sensha-do participant during World War II is still out there for those of you with contacts to artists)
Old 2013-04-06, 14:13   Link #6106
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Images
You're a funny gal Saori, I like you. That's why I'm going to kill you last.
Saori: I thought you were going to kill me last!!??

Yukari: I lied...

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:58   Link #6107
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Some more anon-translated material, this time from BD3's supplemental material, with a short blurb on schoolships:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD3
Academy ships have been around for some time now, and seeing junior high schools and up aboard academy ships, as they sail across the ocean is the norm. Earliest record of similar concepts to the academy ships can be traced to Britain just before the First Century.

Citing Julius Caesar in his Commentarii de Bello Gallico (Commentaries on the Gallic War), "The Britons educate their young abroad small rafts".

It was during this time that Caesar had acquired shipbuilding and sailing techniques from the Veneti Gauls that occupied the Brittany peninsula, as the Roman fleet was formed by his adjutant, Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus. It has been said that Legionaries were being trained on board the Galleys.

By the times of Imperial Rome, Gaius Plinius Secundus (Pliny the Elder) had made detail account of ships used for educational purposes in his work, Naturalis Historia. These examples have shown that just ships were used as an educational establishment just before and during the First Century, although they were centered around soldiering or the needs of the seafaring races.
And while other parts haven't been translated yet, there are supposedly blurbs on the BD1 supplemental material that point to Attack Helicopters and Aircraft also being combat sports in the GuP verse

Are we seeing signs of potential spinoffs here?!

On Perspective: "Depending on who you talk to, twintails are either ponytails multiplied by two, or divided by two.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-04-07 at 03:51.
Old 2013-04-07, 03:01   Link #6108
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am the one that is translating that piece. and the previous one on the changing Senshado. They will be on 4chan.

Let's not forget about the Taiwanese on gamer that translated the original into Chinese though. Tiger603 deserves some real credit.

Suzuki, the guy that's doing the historical information and world building for GuP, did say that he wanted to go at it for the next 10-20 years...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 03:11   Link #6109
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Well he can go for 50 years, as long as he can keep releasing some good stuff.

And at least now I know those translations are reliable

It is amazing though just how much background info they're writing in for this setting, really makes the possibility of spinoffs rather tantalizing

Old 2013-04-07, 03:17   Link #6110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Oh, right... They showed giant wooden ships in OVA3... how tough are their trees?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 03:25   Link #6111
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Oh, right... They showed giant wooden ships in OVA3... how tough are their trees?
Not really farfetched. See the Nemi Ships that were being constructed by Caligula in the 1st Century, or Venice's Bucentaur ships, which approach the size of the ship shown in the OVA. They did show that the ships in antiquity aren't nearly as massive as the modern schoolships we see in the series proper.

Old 2013-04-07, 03:27   Link #6112
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well, Caligula's giant ships went to 70 meters in length, while Treasure ships of Zheng He's fleet reportedly went to more than 130m. Shipbuilding techniques did allow for ridiculously large ships to exist in real life.

GuP ship, according to the academy ship article, didn't get to this enormous academy size until postwar. Their Galleon in 16th century were around 500 tons.

And I can most certainly say that World War I and II happened as they did, and Germany went into bankruptcy as they did. That's my impression from reading the booklets.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2013-04-07, 03:36   Link #6113
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And while other parts haven't been translated yet, there are supposedly blurbs on the BD3 supplemental material that point to Attack Helicopters and Aircraft also being combat sports in the GuP verse

Are we seeing signs of potential spinoffs here?!
Well, I have the scans of the BD3 booklet, and frankly cannot identify anything similar. Panzerfan, do you see anything?

If they did, it'll still be hard to imagine it being as "real" as Senshado. Tanks losing control may be fine (most of the time), but just surrounding the cockpit in carbon and letting everything else get blasted off will lead to crashes that I doubt even the carbon will protect against.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 03:46   Link #6114
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

arkhengelsk: It's not in the BD3. It's in BD1, Origins of Senshado.
>But lately there's been a downward trend (in senshado) due to the the birth of Attack Helicopters (対戦車ヘリ, anti-tank heli).

Airplane wise, the same article mentioned that postwar saw people that made their livings through flight aerobatic.

Old 2013-04-07, 03:48   Link #6115
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Wood had the advantage of being buoyant. As long as you don't build too tall, there isn't any real issue of building larger ships horizontally. The lack of any tech to control the giant ship properly is the real issue.
Old 2013-04-07, 03:52   Link #6116
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
arkhengelsk: It's not in the BD3. It's in BD1, Origins of Senshado.
>But lately there's been a downward trend (in senshado) due to the the birth of Attack Helicopters (対戦車ヘリ, anti-tank heli).

Airplane wise, the same article mentioned that postwar saw people that made their livings through flight aerobatic.
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the reason why Oarai's Senshado club went bust: they couldn't compete with the popularity of attack helicopters

Old 2013-04-07, 04:23   Link #6117
arkhangelsk

But there is no onshow hint of a helo contest. In fact, except maybe for Pravda with their big empty deck, the other schools don't even seem to have an airfield that can be used to base a significant number of attack heloes. Besides, the relevant page said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick, Dirty and Overly Literal Translation P.33 of BD1 booklet
After the advent of modern weapons using machinery, guns were used in various shooting competitions while cars, planes and ships were used in various races. Also, planes, who underwent rapid development and mass production in WWI were sold off as surplus post war, leading to people who make their living through aerobatics. Similarly, tanks were invented in WWI and mass produced. They also developed rapidly though not quite as fast as planes, and the old vehicles were sold as tractor substitutes to civilians.

On the other hand, WWI, in which these modern weapons were comitted, turned out to be a tragic war in which casualties massively exceeded those in previous wars. Worried women, centered around mothers and wives used media to push a large campaign denouncing tank combat and machine-gun shooting as "ungentlemanly", unchivalrous and barbaric. Conversely, airplanes, with their duels and episodes in which planes running out of ammunition or suffering defects were allowed to escape, was greatly promoted as being "full of chivalry", and when combined with the elegance of aerobatics, was beautified. In this way, an atmosphere that perceives male tankers as despicable and "uncool" was formed. Furthermore, while car racing was popular in Europe, racing with the head sticking out messes up the hair and dirties the face, along with the danger of serious casualties have kept almost all females from participating. At that point, females that use disposed of tanks for racing started to appear. Though tanks have the disadvantage of being hot and stinky, it was popular among progressive women because the armor makes it safe. The advent of 1-2 man tankettes further increased its popularity among women due to their compactness and ease of operation, and lots of tankette matches were held. In this way, tankette matches fused with armored chariot matches and Senshado was born in Europe.

Tanks were also imported into Japan, but were unpopular with men who respect Bushido, and thus priority was given to equipping female cavalry units. Later, this fused with mounted-naginatado and became Japan's senshado.

For a time, there was a period when classes (original: 層) who didn't understand chivalry and bushido used many tanks in war, but for the most part Senshado continued with tanks being considered "something of the women". However, recently popularity has decreased somewhat with the advent of attack helicopters.
Nope. Don't exactly see anything about matches w/ aircraft shooting, and even the attack helicopter bit does not mention the rise of attack helicopter riding as a sport.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-04-07 at 04:54. Reason: Forgot a but and a recently
Old 2013-04-07, 04:36   Link #6118
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

None. It is as you said. They did get developed, but are they for entertainment? The on-screen appearance of Fa 223 was for transport purposes.

This is how I've read the last paragraph:

Quote:
There are times when those that don't understand Chivalry and Busdhido would apply tanks widely in warfare, although Senshado, where tanks are a past-time for women, has ensured. But lately there's been a downward trend due to the the birth of Attack Helicopters.

Old 2013-04-07, 05:59   Link #6119
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

In the context of both your translations though, tanks shouldn't see a decrease in popularity as a sport due to attack helicopters if the latter wasn't also a sport in itself. Any military use wouldn't see much televised action or be seriously promoted to the public afterall, and thus they wouldn't lose or gain popularity in that aspect. On the other hand, the only way helicopter use would take away popularity from tank use is if they were competing for the same kind of use, in this case sport. So it's only a logical assumption from there that attack helicopters are likely used for sport as well.

Old 2013-04-07, 06:49   Link #6120
arkhangelsk

Though the rightmost 2.5 words of each line got clipped in my set , the topic (designated by suffixing it with the は) of the previous sentence was actually the tank (戦車), not Senshado. I'm sorry that neither of our translations seemed to have succeeded in bringing this small nuance across.

The following sentence does not specify what's popularity is dropping, so we cross reference the previous sentence, and the thing that lost popularity is the topic (tank). Of course, if the tank loses popularity, by extension so would Senshado.

When combined with the practical difficulty, even in a world with "Carbon" of setting up an attack helicopter fight with a reasonable survival probability or all schools' apparent lack of facilities for such a club, makes me further conclude such a thing does not exist.

At the very least, it should not be taken as something from the text - rather an inference or extrapolation that you made from the text, which is not quite the same thing IMHO.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-04-07 at 07:00.

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks