AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2012-11-01, 08:23   Link #701
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Can anyone take a translation shot at this particular pic? Might yield some useful info. I'm most particularly interested in the entry regarding 1920.

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 08:26   Link #702
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Does the Senshado have that much spare resources?

(Answer: yes, obviously. They're at the point where giant carriers are used for school campuses and tanks for high school sports.)
This also makes me wonder about the history in this setting .. we have historic tanks from various nationalities .. Did WW2 happen? What about planes? Then again maybe all the famous historical generals were women and disputes were settled via Senshado ..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 10:30   Link #703
MeisterBabylon
~ Fists of Fury ~
*Author

One thing the authors forgot to do was give themselves a way to upgrade their tanks. Its one thing to start at the bottom, its another to have no believable infrastructure to back it up.

Tanks don't maintain themselves. They require ground crews and engineers as much as they need the girls that ride them. Where are these people?

And now that the producers admitted to that mistake, I hope they at least attempt to weasel a way into the woodwork. I've made this mistake before, and I've had input to improve it. So, since we're alike, maybe they could try something I've used:

Spoiler for Fanon related stuff for the OC thread:

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 10:40   Link #704
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Can anyone take a translation shot at this particular pic? Might yield some useful info. I'm most particularly interested in the entry regarding 1920.
This basically states sensha-do was introduced in the 1920s, and with the advancement of technology in IFVs as well as involvement of women, it had since then become a worldwide culture & participatory event.

In FILE 4: The world of GIRLPAN () is a world where Chivalry and Bushido still exist. Tanks become a worldwide phenomenon because in the world of GIRLPAN, they aren't machines to run over each other, but produced for female participants to compete with the elegance of martial spirit. This gave the tank duels a certain romantic air. Participating in the art was said to give women willpower and strength. Men are prohibited from operating tanks because it was considered heresy and fear that their involvement would start a total war.

Apparently, the world wars never occurred.

... ...

Right. Take it as you will.

Quote:
- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2012-11-01 at 10:54.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 10:50   Link #705
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
One thing the authors forgot to do was give themselves a way to upgrade their tanks. Its one thing to start at the bottom, its another to have no believable infrastructure to back it up.

Tanks don't maintain themselves. They require ground crews and engineers as much as they need the girls that ride them. Where are these people?
They haven't been shown, but they did talk about a mechanics club.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 11:36   Link #706
Marina2

I have four questions......

1. How good is M3 Lee's main cannon (on the side)?

2. Can Type 89 do any upgrade from its current form?

3. Is current Type 89 gun powerful enough to destroy a main gun of medium tank or heavy Tank?? (If so, a main gun and tracks are two areas that they should fire at in the future battle)

4. What does "Sodoko" mean? (The word that Mako said to that girl)
Old 2012-11-01, 11:49   Link #707
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
4. What does "Sodoko" mean? (The word that Mako said to that girl)
I'm guessing it's a nickname Mako gave her natural nemesis, attendance girl.

I'd have called her Sudoku for being obsessed with numbers, but that's just me.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 11:59   Link #708
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
This basically states sensha-do was introduced in the 1920s, and with the advancement of technology in IFVs as well as involvement of women, it had since then become a worldwide culture & participatory event.

In FILE 4: The world of GIRLPAN () is a world where Chivalry and Bushido still exist. Tanks become a worldwide phenomenon because in the world of GIRLPAN, they aren't machines to run over each other, but produced for female participants to compete with the elegance of martial spirit. This gave the tank duels a certain romantic air. Participating in the art was said to give women willpower and strength. Men are prohibited from operating tanks because it was considered heresy and fear that their involvement would start a total war.
Now that is quite interesting. However...

Quote:
Apparently, the world wars never occurred.
I don't think so, considering it contradicts the knowledge that both Yukari and Erwin spout off about the World Wars, particularly the references to Rommel's desert campaign, the Normandy landings, and the Winter War. Knowledge that wouldn't exist unless the wars happened.

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
Old 2012-11-01, 12:07   Link #709
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
1. How good is M3 Lee's main cannon (on the side)?
It was armed with a 75mm and a 37mm. The 75mm was not an anti-tank gun, while the 37mm was. The problem however, the 37mm was rendered ineffective almost as soon the M3 was deployed. They were withdrawn from the battlefield when M4s entered mass production as a replacement.

Quote:
2. Can Type 89 do any upgrade from its current form?
No, the turret rings for 89s had limited space to accommodate a larger gun and no effort to upgrade its caliber was attempted during the war.

Quote:
3. Is current Type 89 gun powerful enough to destroy a main gun of medium tank or heavy Tank?? (If so, a main gun and tracks are two areas that they should fire at in the future battle)
The Type 89's 57mm was not a dedicated anti-tank gun. It was short-barreled with a very low muzzle velocity.

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 12:15   Link #710
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
I don't think so, considering it contradicts the knowledge that both Yukari and Erwin spout off about the World Wars, particularly the references to Rommel's desert campaign, the Normandy landings, and the Winter War. Knowledge that wouldn't exist unless the wars happened.
Ah, but here is whats interesting. They referenced Rommel's involvement alright, but never stated they were outright wars. Total wars, according to your scan, was non-existent since 1920. So, were those wars or senshado competitions and the famous Desert Fox was... oh gawd, a woman?

But I will re-watch that scene again just to make sure. Given the nature of this series, I personally don't think this is all that important. Girls und Panzer's setting itself is already pretty outlandish.

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 12:18   Link #711
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Ah, but here is whats interesting. They referenced Rommel's involvement alright, but never stated they were outright wars. Total wars, according to your scan, was non-existent since 1920. So, were those wars or senshado competitions and the famous Desert Fox was... oh gawd, a woman?

- Tak
Desert FOX indeed! Right? Right!?

So this is in line with my speculations, the only plausible reason for the tanks in all its forms to exist, including the innovations and development of myriad types .. but somehow not arrive at the "aviation evolution" and comprehend the overriding superiority of "air power" .. means 1) there were no great wars and/or 2) those national disputes were resolved via senshado!

*pats self on back*
Old 2012-11-01, 12:24   Link #712
Sumeragi
Banned

I personally feel my bloodier world would have been better.....
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 12:24   Link #713
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

But I will re-watch that scene again just to make sure. Given the nature of this series, I personally don't think this is all that important. Girls und Panzer's setting itself is already pretty outlandish.

- Tak
I don't think something like the DD Tank (referenced in episode 2) would be developed for a Senshado competition, being a tank designed for the sole task of supporting an infantry beachhead invasion. Also, you'd think that they'd mention those to be Senshado competitions if they really were such, instead of using them in their proper context as historical wars. See Yukari's reference to Blitzkrieg.

Although the genderbending may true: If you look at the WW2-era manuals that Team C and Team A read, you'll see that they have women on the cover instead of men.

Old 2012-11-01, 12:32   Link #714
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
I don't think something like the DD Tank (referenced in episode 2) would be developed for a Senshado competition, being a tank designed for the sole task of supporting an infantry beachhead invasion.
Then again, so were the majority of tanks fielded by Oorai. The Type 89 was introduced as an infantry support vehicle, as was the IV. The M3 had a 3.7cm at gun almost as an afterthought. Given the different nature of the competition, I'd think there are levels that presented specific advantages to certain tank designs.

Besides, if this series was meant to be serious, then Oorai should know off the bat that half the vehicles from the school just cannot standup to the likes of Maltidas and Churchills.

Quote:
Also, you'd think that they'd mention those to be Senshado competitions if they really were such, instead of using them in their proper context as historical wars. See Yukari's reference to Blitzkrieg.
I will have to watch those scenes again to make sure. Then again, if they were indeed referencing historical wars, then its a conflict between official source materials and the series itself. That unfortunately, is a problem none of us can do much about.

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 12:41   Link #715
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I personally feel my bloodier world would have been better.....
I don't necessarily disagree. Before I came up with my new thesis I was thinking: "Were the wars so bloody that a UN with teeth emerged and said: No more! From now on, only senshado!"

Quote:
I will have to watch those scenes again to make sure. Then again, if they were indeed referencing historical wars, then its a conflict between official source materials and the series itself. That unfortunately, is a problem none of us can do much about.
Damn reality.. always getting in the way!
Old 2012-11-01, 12:44   Link #716
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
2) those national disputes were resolved via senshado!
So every 4 years, an international Senshado tournament is held, and the winner gets to rule the world for the next 4 years?

And there's this legendary tanker known as the Toho Fuhai-

*RUNS*

Old 2012-11-01, 12:47   Link #717
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
And there's this legendary tanker known as the Toho Fuhai-

*RUNS*
DISTURBING MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know the original Toho Fuhai was... a woman? Or more specifically, a transsexual?

- Tak
Old 2012-11-01, 12:54   Link #718
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
DISTURBING MENTAL IMAGE!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know the original Toho Fuhai was... a woman? Or more specifically, a transsexual?

- Tak
Alright damn you, share some of that mind bleach will ya?

Old 2012-11-01, 13:06   Link #719
Sumeragi
Banned

Actually, it's my belief that World War II DID happen, but it wasn't as total or genocidal as ours.

Or, if you want to make it bloody, it could be that biological and chemical weapons were used eventually, resulting in people living on off-shore ships.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 13:11   Link #720
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

Proof of Genderbending?

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks