AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-12-04, 13:27   Link #7501
lfhoule

Well, nice to know I made the right choice and held off on ordering any copy until I found out how Sentai handled the scene. %$^#$ you, Sentai Filmworks!!
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 13:35   Link #7502
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I'm so screw now, I just deleted all my BD raws because I thought I was going to get the same thing but better quality. Time to get them back.
Old 2013-12-04, 13:47   Link #7503
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoule View Post
Well, nice to know I made the right choice and held off on ordering any copy until I found out how Sentai handled the scene. %$^#$ you, Sentai Filmworks!!
To be fair, we don't know how much extra it would have cost to pay the US rights holder for the music to license it for release with several thousand disk copies. Could some combination of the Japanese licensors/Sentai gone through the required process and paid? Perhaps, and it would have been nice for them to go the extra mile, but then again... Sentai, which does a decent job, but seems more inclined to get the product out quickly than to splurge on details.

Watching this on the CR stream after seeing the raw clips that were circulating around prepared me for this likely outcome, since there was already a big flap last November over that scene disappearing.
Old 2013-12-04, 13:54   Link #7504
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Obviously we have here an example of someone who does not know that Katyusha (and other Soviet Songs) are copyrighted, and thus cannot be used for commercial purposes without the hassle of getting permission and spending a significant sum. The only reason Girls und Panzer gets away with it is that the Japanese copyright has already expired.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 14:11   Link #7505
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Well was the final battle altered as well? I might just keep it after all because of the BD quality it offers.
Old 2013-12-04, 14:24   Link #7506
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

I haven't watched the entire thing from end to end, just skimmed the episodes to see that the disks worked, but the Kuromorimine battle seems to be the way it aired.
Old 2013-12-04, 15:14   Link #7507
Julio C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I haven't watched the entire thing from end to end, just skimmed the episodes to see that the disks worked, but the Kuromorimine battle seems to be the way it aired.
Well at least that sounds good news to me. I guess I'll keep the BD and the original BD raws and TV rips, I hate going through all the hassle just to return something back to Rightstuf.

I just hope the sound quality doesn't disappoint, and hope it's the same quality that was provided in the JP BDs.

I saw the Hulu stream today, and they actually removed that scene and the other songs, but they kept the Nona song?
Old 2013-12-04, 17:49   Link #7508
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Obviously we have here an example of someone who does not know that Katyusha (and other Soviet Songs) are copyrighted, and thus cannot be used for commercial purposes without the hassle of getting permission and spending a significant sum. The only reason Girls und Panzer gets away with it is that the Japanese copyright has already expired.
So we should blame Disney yet again is what you're saying?

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 17:50   Link #7509
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
So we should blame Disney yet again is what you're saying?
Disney, like Canada, will never be exempt from blame.

- Tak

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Master Card.

Get strong like ROCK! Not weak like Barack! Putincize now!

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 20:05   Link #7510
lfhoule

Quote:
Oh, I knew THAT when the entire flap of the Crunchyroll cut came about, and instead of waiting for those songs to hit public domain in another year (in the case of Katyusha), Sentai puts out series, replacing the song with the theme from Tetris? I stood at the mic during the Sentai Filmworks industry panel at the last Anime Boston and told David Williams that if they didn't deliver a product with no cuts and no Katyusha then I can't really support the release. They did not deliver, so I'm not supporting, simple as that.
Sucks that fansubbers are still around subbing the original broadcast footage.
Old 2013-12-04, 20:19   Link #7511
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

Sentai does have a bit of the "Quickly, cheaply, or good, pick two" about them.

If Katyusha really does revert to public domain in a year, that would be cheaper than trying to pay the rightsholder now... but they can also sell the disks now, instead of later.
Old 2013-12-04, 21:27   Link #7512
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

If Sentai sells GuP after the rights to Katyusha revert to public domain, there is no guarantee that the audience for the show is still interested in spending money to buy the product.

First fucking World Problems.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 21:52   Link #7513
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support

Quote:
Sentai does have a bit of the "Quickly, cheaply, or good, pick two" about them.
I think that they're going to get "quick and to a high standard" this time around

With due respect, cutting out "Katyusha" shouldn't break Girls und Panzer as to make the BD/DVD release "unwatchable".
Old 2013-12-04, 22:44   Link #7514
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I knew THAT when the entire flap of the Crunchyroll cut came about, and instead of waiting for those songs to hit public domain in another year (in the case of Katyusha)
Katyusha expires in 2040 at the minimum. I have no idea what source you used, but you need to get your facts straight. All I've been seeing from you on this matter are just misleading pieces of information which only look like fan rage justification.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 23:29   Link #7515
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

On a general practical level: The Sentai release is pretty good overall, though they did use the GIANT YELLOW SUBTITLES.
Old 2013-12-05, 01:39   Link #7516
Ithekro
Warning

Quote:
Katyusha expires in 2040 at the minimum. I have no idea what source you used, but you need to get your facts straight. All I've been seeing from you on this matter are just misleading pieces of information which only look like fan rage justification.
The assumption was likely because next year or so it will have been 75 years since Katyusha was written.
Old 2013-12-05, 03:48   Link #7517
lfhoule

Quote:
As someone above wrote, I was/am basing things on 75 years since the song was first written in the Soviet Union. If I was mistaken and I sounded like I was fan-raging, then I do apologize. But while I do appreciate being corrected, just please don't be such a condensing jerk when doing so.
Old 2013-12-05, 10:41   Link #7518
ForwardUntoDawn
*IT Support

Quote:
As someone above wrote, I was/am basing things on 75 years since the song was first written in the Soviet Union. If I was mistaken and I sounded like I was fan-raging, then I do apologize. But while I do appreciate being corrected, just please don't be such a condescending (sic) jerk when doing so.
If you don't wish to buy the BDs yet, then you have no obligation to. It's your decision: I personally would, since one song won't break one or the most entertaining anime of the year As for the part about being corrected, for the large part, we're nice about doing so...you just encountered the exception...
Old 2013-12-05, 23:10   Link #7519
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

I just accidentally played the Anglerfish Dance song at half speed. That's always scary.
Old 2013-12-05, 23:31   Link #7520
ForwardUntoDawn
*IT Support

Quote:
I just accidentally played the Anglerfish Dance song at half speed. That's always scary.
You know what's scarier? Having the Anglerfish song play on your computer's speakers right as the lab PI walks in to check on your project's progress. Lesson learnt: don't include that song in the music shuffle rotation while at work

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks