AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-11-06, 00:27   Link #921
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I wonder whether early Cold War tanks like Pattons, or even late World war II tanks like Pershings are allowed.

Or whether, at least, we'd get to see Panthers and Tiger Tanks...
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 00:51   Link #922
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
It's a bit unfair to compare the Type 89 to the Sherman or other late war tanks really. M4, M3 Lee & Stuart only joined in the war in 42. Type 89 was a pre-war design and 37-41 so was the main US tank the M2 medium tank, wich is hardly any more impressive then the Type 89 or the Type 97.

Then when Japan started to lose the war so were they hardly able to ship out the more modern tanks like Type 1 to 5 to the front while the US being on the offensive did bring their new toys along and thus we got some M4's fighting then obsolete Japanese tanks. The modern tanks were planed for the battle on Japanese soil that never came.
The Type 89 isn't a bad tank compared to newer tanks - it's an inherently bad tank period because of poor armor, speed and weaponry. Even something as obsolete as a Pz. II is superior to it. So are basically all of the pre-war tanks that don't have machine gun-only armament. The Type 97 is a step in the right direction with decent speed, and half-decent armor, but that 57mm has to go.

The later Japanese tanks are a bit better, but they're still not as good as Shermans, and Shermans had been around since 1942!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I wonder whether early Cold War tanks like Pattons, or even late World war II tanks like Pershings are allowed.

Or whether, at least, we'd get to see Panthers and Tiger Tanks...
The tournament rules state that only vehicles with completed prototypes by August 1945 are allowed. And only the prototype model if no production model exists. An allowance can be made for a planned project where the necessary components were built by that date. My interpretation is that this means no new engines or turrets, etc.

By that ruleset, Pattons are not allowed. Cold War tanks like the IS-3 and Centurion are in, but only their early models. Pershings are definitely allowed since they actually saw combat in World War II.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 00:54   Link #923
Znail
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I wonder whether early Cold War tanks like Pattons, or even late World war II tanks like Pershings are allowed.

Or whether, at least, we'd get to see Panthers and Tiger Tanks...
I think someone mentioned that the rules alowed any tanks produced by 45 or from parts excisting at that time. Ie a modification done in 46 would be alowed if the parts added already excisted in 45.

Persing would be alowed as it had some working examples by 45. Paton would be out though.

But it doesn't seem like any of the teams we have seen so far is actually trying to win by using the best tanks possible. Type 89 is the worst Japanese tank used during the war and there were at least some that could match the tanks used so far. But that is only because they are also not the best tanks used. They arenšt even using the latest versions of the tanks they use. The Panzer IV H or so would be quite a lot better then the one they use right now.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 00:57   Link #924
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I wonder whether early Cold War tanks like Pattons, or even late World war II tanks like Pershings are allowed.
They aren't. Apparently Senshadou rules have a hard cutoff: no tanks, prototypes or production models, made after V-J Day (aka the end of the war in the Pacific) are allowed, so no Cold War or modern tanks allowed in competitions.
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 00:58   Link #925
00Coyote
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
I'll just leave this here.

Mako is the best.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 01:07   Link #926
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I'll just leave this here.

Mako is the best.
y-yes very best
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 01:42   Link #927
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
But it doesn't seem like any of the teams we have seen so far is actually trying to win by using the best tanks possible. Type 89 is the worst Japanese tank used during the war and there were at least some that could match the tanks used so far.
Well, its actually not the worst Japanese tank, its more like a case where the Japanese army had almost nothing better to compare it to!

There were stories in China where Chinese soldiers driving American made trucks rammed into a Type 89 and knocked it out, almost overturning the damn thing. Yeah, it was that bad.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 01:48   Link #928
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
This was a pretty good episode. Also, Black Forest are snooty bitches and need to be taken down hard. With that Type-10. With air support. With a coordinated time on target barrage, and a trio of cute rabbits naked below the waist carrying the most powerful weapon on the battlefield: a radio.

...must resist the temptation to play WoT.

Edit: while Yukari's infiltration was pretty neat, my years of watching Burn Notice, Covert Affairs and White Collar make me wince at her execution; she shouldn't have drawn too much attention to herself, and she's lucky Sanders didn't change their plan after she outed herself.

Still, that was a pretty fun episode. Girl the Cool Spy. XD

The hexgrid display map interface also really reminds me of Panzer General.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.


Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-11-06 at 02:05.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 02:52   Link #929
sandhy88
Faithfull Reader
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
GuP is my salvation of this season! Give me eps 6 next!!!

Watching eps 5 make me remember FMP Second Raid.
sandhy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 02:58   Link #930
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Wow....
Just watched all the episode out and this anime is amazing.
Can't help but be reminded of Saki whenever I watch it though.
Currently they have :
Tank Saki = Miho
Tank Teru = Maho
Tank Touka = Kei

Anyway, the latest episode reveals many interesting tidbits for me especially the encounter between Miho and Maho.

Miho seems to be the Vice-commander of black forest. That's amazing considering that Black forest seems to be the Champion for 9 years running and they only lost their streak last year. Compounded by the fact that according to Yukari, Miho did the right thing. Uh- oh I smell a plot point

I can only infer that Miho must be a bit responsible for the lost or there was some unfortunate business that soured Miho experience with panzer in the finals last year. To be honest, this encounter instantly made me dislike Black forest which is too bad since Tiger is one of my fav tanks. Maho acted pretty cold on that encounter and though it isn't Miyanaga Teru level of dickishness (at least Maho actually acknowledge she has a sister); that's is still no way to treat your sister.

But the bulk of my dislike goes to Erika, the silver haired girl. Right now, I don't see a redeeming factor to her. God, she seems elitist and snooty and rude and ....

Anyway, I agree with Wild goose... down to the Black forest team! They should be eaten and chewed by our protagonist. They must expose their white outer sweet coating and reveal their black souls that will be surely chocolate flavored. Hmm... Black forest cake


.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 03:19   Link #931
SatelliteCannon
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
So I had to pause the video when I saw this scene. That poster in the top left looked familiar...





That's the cover of volume 5 of Moeyo! Tank School by Nogami Takeshi. He's been mentioned before in this thread as being a part of the staff for this series, but some of you may not know that he's also created the manga Sailor-suit and Heavy Tank (Sailor Fuku to Juusensha).

Sailor Fuku to Juusensha...well, let's just say that it's effectively "GuP: the Manga", but predating GuP by at least a year. The premise is exactly the same (tank battles in which no one is killed) with the only difference being that the main character starts with a Panther instead of a PzKpfw IV.

Spoiler for Sailor Fuku to Juusensha Volume 1 Cover:

Spoiler for Sailor Fuku to Juusensha Volume 8 Cover:

Even that glasses-monocle girl...! The more I look at volume 8's cover, the more I wish they had animated this instead of creating GuP from scratch.

But I think I can live with GuP. Especially after this episode - Kelly's Heroes reference, Yukari's M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer model and all.
SatelliteCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 03:27   Link #932
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
So I had to pause the video when I saw this scene. That poster in the top left looked familiar...





That's the cover of volume 5 of Moeyo! Tank School by Nogami Takeshi. He's been mentioned before in this thread as being a part of the staff for this series, but some of you may not know that he's also created the manga Sailor-suit and Heavy Tank (Sailor Fuku to Juusensha).

Sailor Fuku to Juusensha...well, let's just say that it's effectively "GuP: the Manga", but predating GuP by at least a year. The premise is exactly the same (tank battles in which no one is killed) with the only difference being that the main character starts with a Panther instead of a PzKpfw IV.

Spoiler for Sailor Fuku to Juusensha Volume 1 Cover:

Spoiler for Sailor Fuku to Juusensha Volume 8 Cover:

Even that glasses-monocle girl...! The more I look at volume 8's cover, the more I wish they had animated this instead of creating GuP from scratch.

But I think I can live with GuP. Especially after this episode - Kelly's Heroes reference, Yukari's M18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer model and all.
I did not know there were other manga like this... sailor fuku huh...
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 03:34   Link #933
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
They aren't. Apparently Senshadou rules have a hard cutoff: no tanks, prototypes or production models, made after V-J Day (aka the end of the war in the Pacific) are allowed, so no Cold War or modern tanks allowed in competitions.
I'm surprised that if the school they are up against have so much money, that our protagonist are not facing TEN Pershings, or TEN Tiger IIs or TEN T54s (July 1945), all of which would probably wipe the floor off those early World War II tanks. But then again, Ten Tiger IIs would probably mean a hopeless battle.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 03:40   Link #934
Pen3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
We should make a clan on WoT named GundP. Im clanless rice now and just started playin after GuP started. My name is Pen3 if you see me give a holla I usually play Tier 5-6.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 04:02   Link #935
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere and nowhere at once
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatelliteCannon View Post
That's the cover of volume 5 of Moeyo! Tank School by Nogami Takeshi. He's been mentioned before in this thread as being a part of the staff for this series, but some of you may not know that he's also created the manga Sailor-suit and Heavy Tank (Sailor Fuku to Juusensha).
=
Interestingly enough, Moeyo! Tank School had already cameo'd in this series as far back as episode 2.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, this episode has way too many tanks to even mention them all, but some notable ones appearing and/or mentioned include:

- The M4A6 Sherman (in the Saunders School)
- The T28 (aka T95) Super Heavy Tank (seen on a poster inside the tank cafe)

In Yukari's room:

- Cromwell A27M (model)
- T-34 model 1943 (picture)
- Panzer VI Ausf. E Tiger II (picture)
- M36 Jackson tank destroyer (model)
- Sturmpanzer IV Brumbarr (model)
- Flakpanzer 38(t) (model)
- Panzer II (model)
- Panzer V Panther (model in poster)
- Mitsubishi Type 74 (album photo)

There's a model in Yukari's room that I can't identify though, it's a casemate tank without a gun, which at first I thought was a Panzerjager I.
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2012-11-06 at 04:17.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 04:14   Link #936
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post


There's a model in Yukari's room that I can't identify though, it's a casemate tank without a gun, which at first I thought was a Panzerjager I.
Its a kl.Pz.Bef.Wg. command tank.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 04:18   Link #937
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere and nowhere at once
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Its a kl.Pz.Bef.Wg. command tank.
So it is, thanks!
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 04:58   Link #938
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Some dope while waiting for the episode delay

Spoiler:
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 05:29   Link #939
Scarletknive
Meister
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Wow....
Just watched all the episode out and this anime is amazing.
Can't help but be reminded of Saki whenever I watch it though.
Currently they have :
Tank Saki = Miho
Tank Teru = Maho
Tank Touka = Kei

Anyway, the latest episode reveals many interesting tidbits for me especially the encounter between Miho and Maho.

Miho seems to be the Vice-commander of black forest. That's amazing considering that Black forest seems to be the Champion for 9 years running and they only lost their streak last year. Compounded by the fact that according to Yukari, Miho did the right thing. Uh- oh I smell a plot point

I can only infer that Miho must be a bit responsible for the lost or there was some unfortunate business that soured Miho experience with panzer in the finals last year. To be honest, this encounter instantly made me dislike Black forest which is too bad since Tiger is one of my fav tanks. Maho acted pretty cold on that encounter and though it isn't Miyanaga Teru level of dickishness (at least Maho actually acknowledge she has a sister); that's is still no way to treat your sister.

But the bulk of my dislike goes to Erika, the silver haired girl. Right now, I don't see a redeeming factor to her. God, she seems elitist and snooty and rude and ....

Anyway, I agree with Wild goose... down to the Black forest team! They should be eaten and chewed by our protagonist. They must expose their white outer sweet coating and reveal their black souls that will be surely chocolate flavored. Hmm... Black forest cake


.
Note: "Saki"(As in Miyanaga Saki)'s VA got voice one of the Ooarai's team.

Hint: Zero range shot.... miss....(Holy sht...)

Like you said, something must have happened last year... But then, what problem is it?

Of course, your review of the episode make me able to infer the story already(I havent watch fully yet.).

And that Maho's voice, I swear I have heard that version somewhere... Lowe, refresh my memory please...

Still in another online game right now plus studying... If I got time maybe I can try out WoT(Will talk about it in games thread about server)...(Don't blame me, I am bad in hiding and firing ballistic type weapons....)
__________________

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2012-11-06 at 05:51.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-06, 05:39   Link #940
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Anyway, I agree with Wild goose... down to the Black forest team! They should be eaten and chewed by our protagonist. They must expose their white outer sweet coating and reveal their black souls that will be surely chocolate flavored. Hmm... Black forest cake
What I would like is for that tiger of theirs to get taken down by a Hog. Specifically the A-10 Warthog... Or rather, the A-10 reimagined as a mecha, from Muv-Luv Alternative.

...actually screw that, let's give Soldier-kun and Tank-kun some schoolgirl buffet, to replace Yamashiro.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, gup, military, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.