AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 11 28.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 28.21%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 30.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 12.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-21, 11:41   Link #101
Hyack

Just awesome..

Spoiler for Zessica <3:

Anyone know how to resize it to avatar format?
Old 2012-05-21, 11:52   Link #102
mixordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korps! View Post
Behold, a new legend is born, Amagura the unwilling rapist. Did someone watched a late DBZ episode when writing this?
Spoiler for probably... yes:
Old 2012-05-21, 11:55   Link #103
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Also, my first True End is shaping up to become canon...

Spoiler for Amagura:
Old 2012-05-21, 12:34   Link #104
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Zessica... ;_;
Ow damn, the only thing that can makes that death invalid is the promise between Zessica and Mikage...

WHY KAWAMORI?? WHY??
First Jin, and now Zessica??
You sure do turn into sadistic person, Kawamori...
Old 2012-05-21, 12:57   Link #105
miketyson

kuromitsu: perhaps that's the forbidden gattai we've all been waiting for.
Old 2012-05-21, 13:07   Link #106
sergel02

lol Suzanka finally got her wish.
Old 2012-05-21, 13:11   Link #107
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
lol Suzanka finally got her wish.
At least one character with an happy fulfilled ending.

Yeah !!
Old 2012-05-21, 13:11   Link #108
pingva

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
You are onto something.
Maybe the split was intentionally caused by Alicia since Mykage wants all parts be connected to get his Aquarion of Genesis - Amagura.
Old 2012-05-21, 13:15   Link #109
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingva View Post
You are onto something.
Maybe the split was intentionally caused by Alicia since Mykage wants all parts be connected to get his Aquarion of Genesis - Amagura.
Maybe Alicia didn't want the rapist creep that is Amagura wandering in the streets.
Old 2012-05-21, 13:24   Link #110
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Oh, and I really liked that scene with Andy crying (on MIXY's hole...) too. The staff probably won't go all the way with it, but they've at least tackled the issue. Well, I've certainly been surprised by EVOL more than once, so I guess I'll keep a little bit of hope somewhere... oh, and I'm not even saying this as a BL fan, just to be clear - I'd just cry tears of joy at how Andy turned out to be so much more than a gag character if he came to the conclusion that he could keep on loving a big bang-less MIXY after all. Yes, I'm repeating myself, sorry about that. ^^;
*High Five* If there was one thing that motivated me to take this show seriously, it was this event, so I'm basically in the same boat as you are now. (to think you even quoted me back on that episode with the reveal XD)I'm not a BL fan, but if the show is seriously going to go and send the message that ''Love knows no boundaries! Kick Gender in the curb, nothing in the world can stop me from loving you!'' then boy, I will seriously, without irony, stand by my word and say that this anime is my favorite romance of the entire year (of course, if it is done really well, that is going to only add extra points to an already great plot line)

I hold hope that they well go all the way with it, even if I suspect that we will get an ending where Andy gets his Big Bangs (after saying he doesn't really need them, only Mix(y) ^^ but damn it, I want to believe that the insane duo working on this show have the balls to go with it. Don't fail me now Okada/Kawamori!

Other than that, the one thing that caught my attention this episode wasn't Zessica (I doubt it's as it seriously appears) but the dream sequence. At first I was loling at the ''We are not Apollon, we are Amagura (lol)'' and then was dumbstruck at what was ... well, I have no way to sugar coat it, a rape fantasy (I was honestly horrified when Mikono made out for the bars only to be dragged back ... ) now that I seen the comic kuromitsu posted all I could think of is a Magic Knight Rayearth ending with

Spoiler for lol:

First Escaflowne and now Rayearth ... I thought that this show was supposed to be nostalgic for the Aquarion fandom
Old 2012-05-21, 13:27   Link #111
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

I highly doubt the fact that Zessica is dead.
Old 2012-05-21, 13:39   Link #112
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Quote:
I highly doubt the fact that Zessica is dead.
Jin's GAME OVER syndrome.

And then rushed blooming romance ensued followed by death (by Mykage).
Old 2012-05-21, 13:41   Link #113
mixordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
If Amagura is Apollonius and Amata is half soul then his destiny/fate is with Mikono. No matter you try to spin it Amata is part of the 24000 yrs love story. The spoilers said while back, Mikono will have make a choice and she trapped in the destiny of fate etc. But just because she makes a choice does not mean she will end up with anyone in the end. Jus tlike the ED song foretells Mikono-Amata are going to seperate and they are going to accept it this time. THe spoilers also said the people of the past reincarnation do not have end up with each other.

Take it as you may. Is Zessica someone new? Is she another character from the past. We don't know. BUt she gets most focus on how her heart reacts. She also did the most bravest thing that Celiane could never do which is let Amata go for his own safety. Had Celaine let Apllonius go when Touma said to come back to him, then the a whole lot of hate/destruction could have stopped.

Silvia and Celiane said the reason they split was because their soul could not stand the burden of destroying Atlandia. Silvia even says even though there was so much haterade and sadness she was still happy to see Apollonius again. Perhaps its the same with Mikono which is why she wants to apologize.
I also think that things may end up just like Sousei, and I don't like it ... Mikono probably have an important role as Sylvia... and in the end once again they will be separated by no know how many thousand years... depressing.

Spoiler for Mikono and Sylvia:
Old 2012-05-21, 13:46   Link #114
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Cayenne and Shrade had a nice moment together. Sazanaka finally got her dream union. Crea in her pajamas was so cute. Nice job by Zessica to kiss Amata, hope she isn't dead though. Lol Amagura, no wonder they like the same girl.
Old 2012-05-21, 15:18   Link #115
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Zessica stealing a kiss... YAY!

Zessica looks like she died... NNNOOOOO!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2012-05-21, 16:34   Link #116
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, that was certainly quite the episode. It was very exciting to watch, that's for sure.

A few thoughts randomly bounce around in my mind right now:

1) Andy's character has really rounded into shape over the last few episodes. He has indeed come very far from being a gag character. I like how firm and steadfast he is in his passionate desire to rescue MIX, with that resolve unshaken by knowing that "she" is now MIXY. At the same time, though, Andy is not ignoring the practical issues caused by the gender change. I like how he's grappling with them in a mature way, even as his resolve to rescue MIX remains as fiery as ever.

2) For sheer theatrics, Mykage is a very good villain. He's superb at stealing scenes.

3) The two best romantic moments of this anime so far centers around Amata/Zessica (her confessing to him several episodes back, and now her kissing him). I'm not yet sure what to make of that, but it's very interesting given how the overall thrust of the narrative is very much towards Amata/Mikono. I'm not sure if this ties into some deconstructive stroke of brilliance on Okada/Kawamori's part that will later become clear, or if this is some of the worst handling of a romance triangle of all-time. Presuming that Amata/Mikono is the final pairing, it's awfully strange for Amata/Zessica to have the two very best romantic moments of the entire show through the first 21 episodes.

4) That being said, I liked how Amata's thoughts made clear his feelings for Mikono with the actual use of the word "love". I also liked how Amata went back to where Aquarion EVOL all began, and where he first met Mikono, as it causes the viewer to think back on the start of Amata/Mikono, when that romance was probably at its strongest. These would be great ways to put the focus squarely on Amata/Mikono and develop that pairing further... if not for what I wrote in Number 3 above.

5) Mykage's mecha was pretty cool. I liked its style.

6) Shrade and Cayenne had some nice moments, and even I had to chuckle at the fujoshi getting her moment of glory through having an Aquarion Union with them.

7) The "rape fantasy" was masterfully executed, at least at a visual level. Very gripping, very raw, very powerful.

This episode made for great TV at an "assault the senses" level. The thing is, while it beautifully assaults my sense, I ironically can't make much sense out of it either. Really captivating TV, but I'm almost dumbfounded by what I just watched and what to make out of it.

Is Zessica dead? With the writing in this show, I have no idea in the world.
Old 2012-05-21, 16:54   Link #117
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Maybe - Amata & Kagura merge but instead of Amagura they get... AQUARION. *da-daaam* And then Mikono will be like "guys, you're a mecha and I'm not Touma... orz" and hand it over to Mykage.

I dunno, though. Amata & Kagura being the same person is kind of neat, but technically they're two different people. Whatever separated them in the first place seems to have been a permanent thing because so far both Amata and Kagura were doing pretty well without even knowing the other. So while I'm pretty certain they'll merge in one way or another (btw just to note, I called Kagura & Amata doing some sort of merge 3 months ago :3), I don't think it'll be permanent.

By the way, I'm kind of happy Kagura remembered and taunted Amata... I hope this means that eventually Amata will get ticked off enough to finally kick some ass and be all main character like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Other than that, the one thing that caught my attention this episode wasn't Zessica (I doubt it's as it seriously appears) but the dream sequence. At first I was loling at the ''We are not Apollon, we are Amagura (lol)'' and then was dumbstruck at what was ... well, I have no way to sugar coat it, a rape fantasy (I was honestly horrified when Mikono made out for the bars only to be dragged back ... )
It was pretty well done, wasn't it. As cheesy as the whole Amagura thing was, with Kagura & Amata being literally two halves, there was some pretty good lighting and camera work there, plus all the surreal feeling. Btw, can someone confirm where the dream took place? (I'm not very good at recognizing places...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
now that I seen the comic kuromitsu posted all I could think of is a Magic Knight Rayearth ending with
Spoiler for lol:
She'd need to use her Connecting People power for that, first. Which would lead to my revised True End. Ahem. ^^;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
5) Mykage's mecha was pretty cool. I liked its style.
I LOVED THOSE THINGS. Seriously, the best part of Genesis (apart from the general silliness) was everything connected to the Shadow Angels, their design, the design of Atlandia, their mechs, etc., and I'm still a bit sad to see them missing. (OK, we have Cherubims now, that's a plus.) I'm not sure why they chose to eschew all these visual designs, I mean those who have seen Genesis would know that Mykage is an Angel anyway, and those who haven't... could've seen some really awesome stuff. Ah well. I really, really hope that we'll see at least the ruins of Atlandia sooner or later, and Mykage in his full glory, technicolor wings and all.

(And as for 3), I don't agree that those were the best scenes... let's just leave it at that. )

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-21 at 18:39.
Old 2012-05-21, 18:30   Link #118
mixordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
3) The two best romantic moments of this anime so far centers around Amata/Zessica (her confessing to him several episodes back, and now her kissing him). I'm not yet sure what to make of that, but it's very interesting given how the overall thrust of the narrative is very much towards Amata/Mikono. I'm not sure if this ties into some deconstructive stroke of brilliance on Okada/Kawamori's part that will later become clear, or if this is some of the worst handling of a romance triangle of all-time. Presuming that Amata/Mikono is the final pairing, it's awfully strange for Amata/Zessica to have the two very best romantic moments of the entire show through the first 21 episodes.
I don't totally agree with that, yes... the moments between Zessica and Amata were romantic and emotional, but were not the only... The end of the episode 5 between Mikono and Amata was a beautiful scene, they didn't kiss or confess to each other, but was one of the most beautiful scenes from around the anime, as well as in episode 12, where Amata holds Mikono and flying was a beautiful and romantic scene too... and I don't ship these two, but I thought it was beautiful. The scene between Kagura and Mikono in the building under construction was also beautiful, as he confesses to her, in his way and Mikono begins to understand him.
Old 2012-05-21, 18:54   Link #119
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, maybe not the two best romantic scenes in the show - When you think about them in context, their one-sided nature is hard to ignore - But the most visually elegant/powerful romantic scenes (that gif that Hyack put up really is a thing of beauty).

It's just interesting to me that Zessica is the first girl to confess to Amata and the first girl to kiss him. You'd think they'd want Mikono to have at least one of those two "honors" (especially if it ends on Amata/Mikono as most, if not all, of us expect it to), but ah well.

I will give props to Amata this episode though. I don't think he could have handled the overall situation much better. He was true to his love for Mikono, he never came close to betraying her, but he was also very sympathetic to Zessica and at least valued her as a true friend/ally when her life was in danger.

This was a good episode for both Amata and Andy, in my opinion. They both come across as real men to me in this.
Old 2012-05-21, 19:04   Link #120
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Well, maybe not the two best romantic scenes in the show - When you think about them in context, their one-sided nature is hard to ignore - But the most visually elegant/powerful romantic scenes (that gif that Hyack put up really is a thing of beauty).
I don't particularly agree with this either... (The flying scene in both eps 5 and 12? yeah. And I think Jin's Romeo&Juliet scene is also a pretty damn strong contender, especially with the insert song.) To me Zessica's confession was made epic mostly by the circumstances (she gets interrupted... and repeats it anyway!) plus everyone's reaction (oh, Fudou), and it mostly made me laugh. And in this ep the kiss was pretty and the animation was great, and it was all tragic and stuff, but... yeah, I was distracted by irrelevant details. ^^;;

Basically, stuff like this is pretty subjective.

It is confusing, though, how they keep milking Zessica's love/wangst for all it's worth, while Amata is very clearly not interested in her in that way. I can't even begin to imagine how they'll write themselves out from this particular corner, but I suppose we'll see. (And I just keep hoping it'll make sense.)

Quote:
This was a good episode for both Amata and Andy, in my opinion. They both come across as real men to me in this.
It helps that poor Amata has been FINALLY put in the focus for a change... -_-)
Closed Thread