AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-20, 05:30   Link #301
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hi, just thought I'd ask, since I just beat Xillia.
How does Xillia 2 compare to Xillia 1 in terms of gameplay, story, etc? Would you guys say that it's generally better or worse?
everything is better

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 05:53   Link #302
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
everything is better
I disagree. For every step or two it takes forward in one area, it takes a step back in another area. It has some aspects that are simply flat out better than Xillia, but it also has aspects that make you want to snap the disc in half. Only reason I'd consider doing more than 1 playthrough is because it had Madoka DLC costumes. The negative aspects are heavy enough that I, personally, wouldn't want to subject myself to it more than once (well, once per language).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 06:29   Link #303
Chaos2Frozen
:)

I heard you can't switch party members on the fly anymore.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 06:35   Link #304
Kirayuki
High Priestess

Quote:
Hi, just thought I'd ask, since I just beat Xillia.
How does Xillia 2 compare to Xillia 1 in terms of gameplay, story, etc? Would you guys say that it's generally better or worse?
I'd say it is generally better. The gameplay has some ups and downs there, story-wise I think it has improved and add more development for the old characters and world building. It also has more funnier moments from the character interactions, more serious and darker theme for the main story. There are also more extra contents than Xillia 1 after you beat the game, giving the game longer life if you actually care to bother with them.

The only things bothering me are too many reused maps and the silent protagonist thing.

Oh, and bonus point for it if you're an old Phantasia fan like me
Images
XD
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Kirayuki; 2013-09-20 at 06:50.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 07:57   Link #305
GDB

Honestly, the debt thing is the biggest issue with the game. They really needed to add a Grade Shop thing to let you not have to deal with it.
Old 2013-09-20, 10:50   Link #306
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Honestly, the debt thing is the biggest issue with the game. They really needed to add a Grade Shop thing to let you not have to deal with it.
That's really not a good idea, since the debt is directly tied to your story progress early in the game. Adding a Grade Shop feature to remove that would cause all sorts of sequence breaks.

I do think they should have included some sort of mid-late Gald farming spot though, like Symphonia's earth dragon which drops a huge sum of Gald after every kill.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 11:08   Link #307
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

It's not about the sum, it's about getting pop-up every few minutes to pay your debt when you have money(and it become mandatory once your gald pass twice the amount of debt you have to pay). That's the most annoying thing for me in the 2nd game, although the biggest step-back for me is the inability to change character on the fly.

Story-wise, I like the 2nd one much better though, and Ludger's ability to change weapon on the fly is fun.
kuroishinigami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 11:15   Link #308
Kirayuki
High Priestess

Yep pretty much, the debt is solvable easily with the golden dice trick in gambling. It's the debt collector (whose name I forgot) popping out periodically to annoyremind you to pay (silly catch line notwithstanding). In that regard, the game does a pretty good job reminding me how it feels like to be chased by debt collector....
Old 2013-09-20, 11:22   Link #309
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's really not a good idea, since the debt is directly tied to your story progress early in the game. Adding a Grade Shop feature to remove that would cause all sorts of sequence breaks.
Not really. Just make it so it's as if you paid it off without her calling you and without any money actually being deducted. Just don't go to the next segment point if you don't want to continue the story yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
It's not about the sum, it's about getting pop-up every few minutes to pay your debt when you have money(and it become mandatory once your gald pass twice the amount of debt you have to pay). That's the most annoying thing for me in the 2nd game, although the biggest step-back for me is the inability to change character on the fly.
This, so much. Move from one screen in city or field to the next, LUDOGAHHHHH, fight enemy, LUDOGAHHHHH!

You pretty much only have the time it takes (in a city or field transition) for the lower left icon that states where you are to disappear before you get the call. Which is just enough time to spam the teleport button if necessary.

*edit*
Well, I was right. Julius's voice is someone from Fullmetal Alchemist. I was just wrong as to whose voice it was. It was J.Michael Tatum, the voice of Scar in FMA Brotherhood.

Last edited by GDB; 2013-09-20 at 13:34.
Old 2013-09-20, 13:42   Link #310
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I heard you can't switch party members on the fly anymore.
...Given that there are nine characters now and only eight possible slots for the on-the-fly switching, this is understandable, but it's, uh, still completely terrible, wow.
That was one of the best things about Xillia 1's combat system.
That and I hear the game reuses virtually all its areas without any changes? Elympios STILL isn't as big as Rieze Maxia? Come fucking on...
Old 2013-09-20, 13:54   Link #311
GDB

Yeah, they only add (off the top of my head) like 1 dungeon, 1 town, and 3-4 fields or something to Elympios. Not counting the post-game dungeon (which is basically just 3 maps recycled with different colors).

Oh, but Triglaph gets an upgrade too. It turns from 2 sections to like... 6. Not much, but still something.
Old 2013-09-20, 14:08   Link #312
Shadow5YA

Quote:
...Given that there are nine characters now and only eight possible slots for the on-the-fly switching, this is understandable, but it's, uh, still completely terrible, wow.
I think that has more to do with the Ludger specific Corpse Shell mechanic being incompatible with the other characters. You can't have a Corpse Shell gauge for characters without Corpse Shell, so it would be a mess having to program an activating/disabling sequence as you switch to and away from Ludger on the fly.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 17:12   Link #313
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Yeah, they only add (off the top of my head) like 1 dungeon, 1 town, and 3-4 fields or something to Elympios.
Wooooow.
Why does this game exist?
Old 2013-09-20, 17:15   Link #314
Kirayuki
High Priestess

There are actually 3 new towns to be exact, 2 in Elympios side and 1 that connect Elympios and Rieze Maxia (plus the Triglaph is expanded)
Old 2013-09-20, 18:44   Link #315
GDB

Oh right, forgot the port town and the gambling town.
Old 2013-09-22, 02:55   Link #316
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Wooooow.
Why does this game exist?
Well, they expanded the story, so it's kinda a long epilogue I guess. The story is really good though, I like the darker tone much more. Just be happy they don't release it as DLC considering it's Bamco

Oh you guys, we got great epilogue story here. Pay us 15$ for 1 chapter of the story. Oh, you want more development for the original cast? That's 5$ each character episode please.
kuroishinigami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 03:11   Link #317
Chaos2Frozen
:)

It's not like they asked for 20 million gald just to see this super hot HD cutscene of the girls nude in an outdoor hotspring right?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-23, 13:38   Link #318
Zakoo

So how about a trailer ?

Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-12, 01:44   Link #319
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

New trailer
Recorded from just a cam though, we'll have to wait for NamDai to upload it on their youtube page

Old 2013-10-14, 11:20   Link #320
Frailty
Half-yōkai
*Graphic Designer

better quality of the trailer I posted before