AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-07-03, 01:33   Link #221
Devin

Could there possibily be another hidden meaning in the last episode?

Spoiler:
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 01:59   Link #222
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
Could there possibily be another hidden meaning in the last episode?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Bullsquat; 2004-07-03 at 02:12.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 02:17   Link #223
TronDD
Team the box!

One can really read anything they want into those scenes.

Spoiler:

Bullsquat: Ignorance of what?
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 02:45   Link #224
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Spoiler:

It's a powerful scene but frankly it irked me. It would have looked strange in my eyes too,
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-03, 03:05   Link #225
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
#2. Do you think Koshiro would have fell in love with Nanoka even if they didn't meet by chance in the first episode and developed that bond in the ferris wheel? Meaning, he never met Nanoka until she moved into their father's house, then would the Genetic Sexual Attraction theory still apply?
Yes, I think it would be quite possible, because there are a number of other contributing factors as well. One of the things about GSA is that it very rarely occurs in what we would generally consider a normal family relationship. If someone were to watch this anime and think oh my god, how can they do that; that's sick!!!, they'd have to completely overlook all the character development and plot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that incest is good or anything, but this is hardly what you'd call a normal family.

WARNING: Some psychobabble follows... those who are allergic to such things, please consider yourself warned...

Spoiler:

So I think their romantic first encounter certainly did help set the stage for a romantic relationship later on (it may have introduced the idea of a romantic relationship in their minds), but I think the foundation was already there.

This show is the very definition of an adult romantic drama, because it requires the viewer to have a great deal of emotional empathy in order to relate to characters. It's not like most romantic animes, where the main character and setting is usually generic enough so that the viewer has at least some way to relate. You aren't expected to be able to relate to these characters, which is why there is a lot of backstory and character development to help out. This makes the show much harder to appreciate and understand, but also much more rewarding. This is why I say that people who scream and yell incest!!! at the top of their lungs regarding this show are missing the point (or perhaps the point of the point?) That being said, I do understand why - this is hard show if you want to really understand it.

I agree with TronDD; the entire show was a character study about Genetic Sexual Attraction, as it has all of the typically essential elements: psychological baggage, long period of separation, fateful reunion, etc. Unlike Da Capo, which toyed with the notion of what defined a sibling relationship, and Onegai Twins, with used it more a bait to keep the show going, Koi Kaze is a real attempt to explore the psychological and emotional struggles associated with this phenomenon.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 03:11   Link #226
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Spoiler:
Well, in spite of my huge long post full of "psychobabble" above, I had a much simpler view of this scene.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-03, 05:55   Link #227
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Yes, I think it would be quite possible, because there are a number of other contributing factors as well. One of the things about GSA is that it very rarely occurs in what we would generally consider a normal family relationship. If someone were to watch this anime and think oh my god, how can they do that; that's sick!!!, they'd have to completely overlook all the character development and plot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that incest is good or anything, but this is hardly what you'd call a normal family.

WARNING: Some psychobabble follows... those who are allergic to such things, please consider yourself warned...

Spoiler:

So I think their romantic first encounter certainly did help set the stage for a romantic relationship later on (it may have introduced the idea of a romantic relationship in their minds), but I think the foundation was already there.

This show is the very definition of an adult romantic drama, because it requires the viewer to have a great deal of emotional empathy in order to relate to characters. It's not like most romantic animes, where the main character and setting is usually generic enough so that the viewer has at least some way to relate. You aren't expected to be able to relate to these characters, which is why there is a lot of backstory and character development to help out. This makes the show much harder to appreciate and understand, but also much more rewarding. This is why I say that people who scream and yell incest!!! at the top of their lungs regarding this show are missing the point (or perhaps the point of the point?) That being said, I do understand why - this is hard show if you want to really understand it.

I agree with TronDD; the entire show was a character study about Genetic Sexual Attraction, as it has all of the typically essential elements: psychological baggage, long period of separation, fateful reunion, etc. Unlike Da Capo, which toyed with the notion of what defined a sibling relationship, and Onegai Twins, with used it more a bait to keep the show going, Koi Kaze is a real attempt to explore the psychological and emotional struggles associated with this phenomenon.
Very detailed and thorough analysis, RelentlessFlame. But Nanoka and Koshiro's future seems grim...
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-03, 10:58   Link #228
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Edit: That's odd... at least on my computer, my post shows up before the post I was replying to, and with an earlier time.... weird...
Old 2004-07-03, 11:37   Link #229
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Bullsquat: Ignorant isn't the right word. Indifference, maybe?
Old 2004-07-03, 14:25   Link #230
Broccoli

Lightbulb

With all the speculation that went on (before the final episodes were broadcast) about how the series would end, and discussions about the meaning of final episode and what's supposed to happen after that, I couldn't help but think Koikaze would be ideal material for a ren'ai simulation game. There are tons of scenarios that I can turn into decision points, if I were to write such a game...

Come to think of it, they can even make a girl's version of it, where the player can role-play Nanoka. Now that would be fun.

On the other hand, it's not like we are lacking such games.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 14:35   Link #231
Leviathan926

ending

bah. ignorance and indifference are the same thing wtf is wrong with you bullsquat.

Interesting discussion going on there about psychological baggage and the tainted mudfight. I don't see the point of hiding those spoiler infos cos i believe most people that visit this site have already seen the series or know they are inevitably going to get spoilers regarding the series...

anyway, the ending was a great dissapointment. it just sets the pavement to a new season or other OVA's. In episode 11, when koushirou says that things will "be different from now on" (now that they are in love) I thought they would move away somewhere far away abandoning their former lives and banished away from the norms of society.
however, the ending states that its too much of a compromise and that the alternatives are too absurd. and so, everything returns BACK TO NORMAL as if NOTHING HAPPENDED between them. which is whats so bogus about it.

moral of the story? An adult romance anime that primarily depicts the ineffable and regressive character of a typical male figure-head and how diffucult it is to express themselves. i enjoyed it overall though, don't get me wrong. just the ending was kinda bad.
Leviathan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-03, 22:01   Link #232
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The point in using spoiler tags is that some people may click on this thread looking for general opinions about the show and to learn more about it. Since not everyone who clicks on the thread has seen the series, we use spoiler tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan926
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-04, 00:41   Link #233
Devin

Here's what i like to ask everyone. What would you have done if you were in Koshiro's (if you're a guy) or Nanoka's (if you're a girl) shoes? Would you have walked the same path as they did?
Old 2004-07-04, 08:27   Link #234
stardest17

Send a message via AIM to stardest17 Send a message via Yahoo to stardest17
Quote:
Here's what i like to ask everyone. What would you have done if you were in Koshiro's (if you're a guy) or Nanoka's (if you're a girl) shoes? Would you have walked the same path as they did?
As a girl, I would say yes. Sometimes, the feelings are just so strong that anything practical, levelheaded and sanity is washed away - at least that's how I am!
stardest17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-04, 10:53   Link #235
TronDD
Team the box!

Well I probably would never end up in their situation.

If I did, screw what anyone else thinks. I don't think there is anything wrong with their relationship.
Old 2004-07-04, 11:03   Link #236
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Quote:
bah. ignorance and indifference are the same thing wtf is wrong with you bullsquat.
Er...what? Did I say anything about indifference?

Quote:
Anyway, if it was me, I'm sure I'll be able to restrain myself. I would prolly look in the mirror and realize how sick it all is.

Edit: Bah, I've never said anything about ignorance and indifference being different. Read the posts before you start flaming me. It was someone else's suggestion and frankly, I don't know if they mean the same or not, I don't have a dictionary.

Last edited by Bullsquat; 2004-07-04 at 15:48.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 12:01   Link #237
Leviathan926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsquat
Er...what? Did I say anything about indifference?

Anyway, if it was me, I'm sure I'll be able to restrain myself. I would prolly look in the mirror and realize how sick it all is.

Edit: Bah, I've never said anything about ignorance and indifference being different. Read the posts before you start flaming me. It was someone else's suggestion and frankly, I don't know if they mean the same or not, I don't have a dictionary.
thorry thorry my bad. i misread. u call dat flaming? nah~ don't think of it dat way. don't take it pesonally

hmmm. tanx for da feedback though i still think the ending is still a stopping point and nothing changed. well, except maybe they get along alot better. other than that, they are still living their normal lives, unperturbed by the great controversial bonding they just had. (incest: its forbidden not only by norms of society but also by nature) And for that, i can't help but be a little dissapointed at how dull it turned out to be.
Leviathan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 12:29   Link #238
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
incest: its forbidden ... by nature
Where the hell did you come up with that idea? Incest happens in nature all the time. Animals sure don't care about social stigma or rare possibilities of genetic defects.

And ignorance and indifference are not even close to being the same thing.
Old 2004-07-05, 14:35   Link #239
Konex

I thought the ending was decent but I really expected a more dramatic conclusion. Still a great show though

BTW, is there a soundtrack? The music was completely awesome
Konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 18:30   Link #240
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Where the hell did you come up with that idea? Incest happens in nature all the time. Animals sure don't care about social stigma or rare possibilities of genetic defects.

And ignorance and indifference are not even close to being the same thing.
Maybe not forbidden but looked upon highly unfavorably by nature. Diversity and genetic variation gives a species the best chance for survival. Incest essentially decreases your chance of survival because not only are you limiting genetic variation but you also allow genetic diseases to surface further decreasing your chances for survival. Most mammalian species avoid mating with relatives if possible.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, seinen