AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-01-03, 22:25   Link #281
Fronzel
Schmuck
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Sure, why not?


A good change from the shallower incest stories out there (I'm looking in your direction, Da Capo), nice to see somehthing take it seriously if it's going to include it at all.



Only three volumes, too!
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 19:43   Link #282
ggzone2000
Que Sera Sera
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
I don't know if I would recommend this series to anyone. The art and gentle music, coupled with growth of the characters, only to have a downward fall from humanity, makes this anime sad for me. I haven't seen many incest related shows nor read them, but for the ones I have they were in the end not related by blood so it was okay.

So the plot is disturbing and if incest is not your thing, turn back now before you get to like the series and then face the harsh reality later. I was fine when I thought the two main characters were going to remain as brother and sister but when the ending episodes came, you are in for a rude awakening -.-''

I would say approach this series with caution. Likewise, I have no idea if I liked this series or not >.<
ggzone2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 21:32   Link #283
Yamano667
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The moon :)
Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Well ..to me Koi Kaze is natural Japanese culture.
It was a great anime to me, and the soundtrack was awesome
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 07:03   Link #284
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
How Koi Kaze is viewed is entirely based on your moral standing. I took a "They're not real" approach and enjoyed the series a lot. It's amazingly realistic on the "darker" side of things and leaves you thinking. Something very few animes are doing lately.

It gets flack for being about pedoincest but in a way that's good because it shows it succeeded at portraying it realistically. If such a thing happened to you or I, I bet there'd be hell to pay from onlookers and family also.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 08:23   Link #285
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Time Warp/Future
I think it's definitely one of the best series in 2004, and it's a very natural, beautiful and realistic romance story... the catch is that it's between a brother and sister... so if you are really against that kind of things then maybe it's not for you. But the controversial theme aside, this anime is very beautifully done and the presentation is absolutely awesome. And for me a controversial theme is always a plus
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 03:29   Link #286
aikming
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I think it's definitely one of the best series in 2004, and it's a very natural, beautiful and realistic romance story... the catch is that it's between a brother and sister... so if you are really against that kind of things then maybe it's not for you. But the controversial theme aside, this anime is very beautifully done and the presentation is absolutely awesome. And for me a controversial theme is always a plus

while you say that, a lot of people actually gave it poor rating, not because of the theme. but the story plot.
__________________
http://anime-horizon.blogspot.com
Anime & Manga Horizon - Anime, Manga, Gundam, Figures
aikming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 15:06   Link #287
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikming
while you say that, a lot of people actually gave it poor rating, not because of the theme. but the story plot.
Instead, I gave it - exactly - 9.8/10

Premise: Koi Kaze is one of my favourite series and the debates between the ones loving it and the ones hating it have always been intense.

Then: the "poor rating for story plot". I don't get why. There are stories where the story plot is just unnecessary, the simple slice of life does it all. A blatant example? "Azumanga Daioh!" , it hasn't a story plot at all; still it gets high rates everywhere (don't suppose I'm talking with a grudge since I liked it too, and rated 9.5).

I understand people who tells me: "I can't efford Koi Kaze for its theme", it's okay for me, the incest subject isn't for all, you have to be quite open-minded to watch it withouth being disturbed.
But why to say: "it has no story"? Where would it be needed?
Isn't it enough to see the lovely Nanoka with her fragile innocence and the conflicts that her brother has to pass? (I wouldn't spoil for those who eventually miss it).

To me, a great anime isn't built just on "story", it's more built on the "characters" side. If you get to love the characters, you will 99% like the story too.

Then I like Koi Kaze for its courage and for the way it deals with such a difficult theme, which in other anime is abused, but in the silly way:

1)"haremish" - the main char gets all the girls in love with him, included his sister (in law, of course)
2)"they're brother and sister but NOT siblings!" the escapades they find sometimes are just plain ridicolous.
3)"stepbrothers/stepsisters"! as in point 2.

Koi Kaze doesn't do this: Nanoka and Koshiro ARE brother and sister, ARE blood related, do HAVE same mother and same father, with no detours and no excuses for their choices.
That's why this anime has all my respects and deserves to be called "masterpiece", word that I don't use so often, talking of anime, if you trust me.
__________________
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 16:48   Link #288
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
What was wrong with the 'story'? Even if one does not enjoy the theme of incest, that doesn't take away from how well the subject itself was presented.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 13:12   Link #289
ccardoso
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I wonder if it will ever be licensed anywhere in the western countries... not that I'm looking forward it: I found the early episodes of this anime very disturbing and I didn't see anymore of course, but I think in lots of countries this pedoincest shit is even illegal. I'm not a puritan, in fact I've no problems in watching normal hentai and what not, but this Koi Kaze thing is just plain disgusting. All IMHO of course.
ccardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 02:41   Link #290
Korb
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tigard, OR, USA
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Korb Send a message via AIM to Korb Send a message via MSN to Korb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso
I wonder if it will ever be licensed anywhere in the western countries... not that I'm looking forward it: I found the early episodes of this anime very disturbing and I didn't see anymore of course, but I think in lots of countries this pedoincest shit is even illegal. I'm not a puritan, in fact I've no problems in watching normal hentai and what not, but this Koi Kaze thing is just plain disgusting. All IMHO of course.
Western countries as in...where? Europe? You realize it's licensed in good old uptight lawsuit happy our president claims he's got a relationship with God USA don't you? The series isn't even hentai. Yes, "pedoincest shit" as you put it is illegal virtually world wide, but considering that this is a fictional story, not a documentary, the laws really can't touch it.
Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-15, 07:06   Link #291
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
and it's a very natural, beautiful and realistic
-_________-
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 09:32   Link #292
hailstorm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Watched the series after some procrastination. It was wonderful.

I think the main reason why society frowns upon incest is not because of potential genetic defects of offspring, or moral norms such as from religion (although that can contribute to it too.) The main issue people have with incest (siblings/ mom-son/ dad-daughter/ with other relatives) is the problem of identity confusion. Identity confusion from outside the relationship, and identity confusion from within the family. Indeed the kanji (Chinese) for incest is 乱倫. 乱 means disorder or confusion.

Let's say Koshiro and Nanoka get married(!) and have kids. Now should the kids call Nanoka aunt or mom? Should they call Koshiro uncle or dad? What will K&N's parents call them: son/daughter or son/daughter in-law? (Maybe that's why they felt terribly apologetic towards their parents in later parts). The confusion gets worse in a generational incestual relationship eg. mom-son.

Another problem with incest is the very likely scenario of one partner forcing himself/herself on another - it's like rape or abuse of power. Usually the blame is on the older person. In the anime both K&N were consensual. You WILL emphatise with them while watching the episodes if you suspend your prejudice against incestuous people momentarily.

Okay. Now for a light hearted moment. What is the moral of Koi Kaze?

Spoiler:
hailstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 21:32   Link #293
Pleroma
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Its also worth noting that aversion to the theme of incest is just a side effect of the Westermark Effect. (Sexual aversion between people of opposite genders who grow up close together)

Recently rewatched the series and was reminded just how wonderful it is. Love in its purest form indeed, as well as characters who ultimately accept it as the precious gift it is. Honestly no other romance anime even comes close (and I'm a KNGE fan too)
Pleroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 14:54   Link #294
Spinner187
Too old for Anime?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Smile

Found this forum after I watch the anime for the first time, and I must say Id enjoyed it, even though the issue is very very controversial, on two levels.

I also notice that the main characters(Koshiro and Nanoka) don't look the age that they suppose to portray, in my opinion.

Koshiro looks like he's in he early thirties and Nanoka looks like she is only around 10 years old. Plus Koshiro was huge compared to Nanoka. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose, but it adds to the shock value of this anime.

Also I notice that they make Koshiro into a loser, in my opinion. First of all, in the whole anime, Koshiro never does anything outside the house on his days off. Second of all he has NO friends, xcept Chirio that he hangs out with sometimes after work. Hasn't anyone else notice this? Maybe this also was intended to add the effect that the was something psychological wrong with him(isolation issue i guess).

But for Nanoka, she is the reason the anime was good. Even though I'm a full grown man myself, she had the capabilities to make anyone heart melt.

Neways i'm know i'm posting two months after the last post. But I just had to put my 2 cents down. Thanks for reading
Spinner187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 16:22   Link #295
Spinner187
Too old for Anime?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
GSA is a really disorder/condition eventually they will have arguments, affairs, break up and sue each other.

so its all good.
You know, for them to sue each other will be a defiant possibilty. I mean after the heat of their passion is gone and they realize what they done. They're going to be shock of what they did, and blame each other.(I'm talking in the future when Nanako is older)
Spinner187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 01:02   Link #296
Morgri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Hmmm, it seems like Incest is becoming a theme in a lot of anime's these days. Why? I mean, what's so special about it? Does it turn people on because some brother/sister wants to screw his/her sister/brother? It seems utterly pointless. Of course, Japan is a much more open society about such themes. I will admit, though, it's not something I would want to watch -- you can call me closeminded or say, "You haven't seen the series so blah blah blah," but it's true.

I'm kind of getting tired of animes/movies/shows that alway getting massively good reviews or good reviews simply because they deal with subjects such as incest/yuri/yaoi stuff. Truthfully, I've seen a lot of the anime's people rate as top quality, and find they have not lived up to expectations at all. But ah well, I guess I have no right to rant about something I won't see, right?
Morgri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 13:56   Link #297
AisuruMirai
箱者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroma
Its also worth noting that aversion to the theme of incest is just a side effect of the Westermark Effect. (Sexual aversion between people of opposite genders who grow up close together)
But one notices that there are osananajimi getting together (or one wanting the other) in half of all anime programs, in addition to the plethora of stories w/ incest innuendo. Apparently, anime script writers & mangaka don't believe in the Westermark effect. In Koi Kaze, though, the two didn't grow up together, so it doesn't come into play.

By the way, the aversion isn't a side effect--it is the Westermark effect.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 23:56   Link #298
dojikyo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgri
Hmmm, it seems like Incest is becoming a theme in a lot of anime's these days. Why? I mean, what's so special about it? Does it turn people on because some brother/sister wants to screw his/her sister/brother? It seems utterly pointless. Of course, Japan is a much more open society about such themes. I will admit, though, it's not something I would want to watch -- you can call me closeminded or say, "You haven't seen the series so blah blah blah," but it's true.

I'm kind of getting tired of animes/movies/shows that alway getting massively good reviews or good reviews simply because they deal with subjects such as incest/yuri/yaoi stuff. Truthfully, I've seen a lot of the anime's people rate as top quality, and find they have not lived up to expectations at all. But ah well, I guess I have no right to rant about something I won't see, right?

You do have a right to your opinion. It does look like yuri and incest have been appearing a lot more often now. However, the writing in some of these yuri series has been better than the traditional animated comedies. Instead of the old childhood promise/he did something nice 8 years ago (*cough* Sia *cough*) they'll use love/lust at first sight. Morevover, the yuri/yaoi relationships are fairly well developed. In harem anime, the main character is some generic looking Japanese guy that lacks any defining characteristics so any male can picture himself in that character's place. In a yuri anime, one female will be developed to appeal one set of preferences while the other female is developed to suit another type. I even downloaded Gakuen Heaven despite it obviously being a yaoi show because I am curious to see how it'll turn out. Straight, gay, bi ... as long as the plot works it'll be fine. (Unless there is a lot of gay male sex, I'm not that open minded or uncalled for sex. Tsukihime didn't need a single sex scene even if it was tastefully done).

Now for my take on Koi Kaze. I didn't like it the first time I watched it and stopped after watching two episodes. I did give it another try and watched it to the end. Koi Kaze isn't a great anime because it took on a controversial topic and played it up for shock value (although it did make the brother ogre sized and Nanoka looks more like she is 12 than 16). Koi Kaze is a great anime because the music, the art , the character designs and the story were great. Rather than relying on plot twists, humor and fanservice, the writers of Koi Kaze gave the viewers a serious portrayal of a brother and sister who began to develop feelings for each other before realizing that they were siblings. It then took its time to address the way each sibling dealt with feelings that one knew to be wrong and that the other didn't understand. It than gave an open-ended ending which felt less like a cop out than an ending which wouldn't allow the viewers to feel as if they were being forced to accept/reject incest.

Last edited by dojikyo; 2006-04-14 at 00:36.
dojikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 08:25   Link #299
AisuruMirai
箱者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipp-ORK
Sorry for being a n00b, but...
You should note that this thread is in the DVD & Licensed section, & you shouldn't ask where to download it. Please read the rules before posting (here & elsewhere). That part of your post will likely be deleted.

By the way, the post above this one is excellent, don't you think? Very well said, dojikyo.

では、

アイスル未来

Last edited by AisuruMirai; 2006-04-14 at 08:39.
AisuruMirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-10, 16:01   Link #300
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
And this is why we should READ the reviews before watching an anime. Had I read the reviews, I wouldve been forwarned and not watched this nightmare of an anime.

Having finished watching Hana Yori Dango, I used ANIDB to check for other "romance" animes, and found this one. Whose bright idea was it to categorize this anime as romance?! My stomache is still turning.

A smiley cant adequately express my feelings and if I state them freely, ill be banned so lets leave it at this: Do yourself a favor and DO NOT watch this anime
Souten no Seigyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.