AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-05-27, 14:24   Link #121
TronDD
Team the box!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Badside
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamatari honjo
in a love story don't you hope the two people to over come obstacles and get together, even though they can't? do you hope these two get together? if he sucumbs would you still approve because he has found love? if he falls in love afterwards because he can feel real intimacy, do you think he would wish that person was his sister that he cant have, instead of this other woman he has to settle for?

if there was a live action version would you still like this show, would you like the show more?
if a co-worker told you that he fell in love with his sister and it was really helping him to open up his heart, would you say "good for you"?
Interesting questions and difficult to answer. That what is so great about this show.

I think the events of the show have been both happy and tragic at the same time. I think the ending will be both happy and tragic, it'll be hard to do otherwise. I'm not looking forward to any particular ending, I'm just just enjoying the ride.

In responce to your questions:
Not always is the happy ending the best one. It depends what the story is about. A tragic ending can make a really big impact.
In Koi Kaze, I don't think I hope for them to get together. I think their relatianship is a learning phase for both of them that they'll need to get through then move on in love having grown from the experiance.
I guess I would approve if they end up together. I'm not really put off by the idea of incest.
If he fell in love with someone else, that isn't "settling for someone". That would mean he has learned how to love and has moved on from Nanoka. Sounds harsh from Nanoka's point of view, but ideally, as this is her frist love, she'll grow and move on too. People change love interests all the time. It's part of being social creatures.

I probably wouldn't like a live action version as much because I don't like live action as much. Story-wise, I don't see why it would make a difference.
If I came across someone in real life in love with a sibling, it wouldn't bother me. I don't see how one could love their sibling, but then I don't see how homosexuals can love someone of the same gender, either. To each, his own and all that. You do what you feel is right, if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then who am I to say anything?

EDIT: Just watched episode 8. Wow. Very moving. Dying to know where it goes from here.

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-05-27 at 23:47.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 06:17   Link #122
Devin
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Interesting questions and difficult to answer. That what is so great about this show.

I think the events of the show have been both happy and tragic at the same time. I think the ending will be both happy and tragic, it'll be hard to do otherwise. I'm not looking forward to any particular ending, I'm just just enjoying the ride.

In responce to your questions:
Not always is the happy ending the best one. It depends what the story is about. A tragic ending can make a really big impact.
In Koi Kaze, I don't think I hope for them to get together. I think their relatianship is a learning phase for both of them that they'll need to get through then move on in love having grown from the experiance.
I guess I would approve if they end up together. I'm not really put off by the idea of incest.
If he fell in love with someone else, that isn't "settling for someone". That would mean he has learned how to love and has moved on from Nanoka. Sounds harsh from Nanoka's point of view, but ideally, as this is her frist love, she'll grow and move on too. People change love interests all the time. It's part of being social creatures.

I probably wouldn't like a live action version as much because I don't like live action as much. Story-wise, I don't see why it would make a difference.
If I came across someone in real life in love with a sibling, it wouldn't bother me. I don't see how one could love their sibling, but then I don't see how homosexuals can love someone of the same gender, either. To each, his own and all that. You do what you feel is right, if it doesn't hurt anyone else, then who am I to say anything?

EDIT: Just watched episode 8. Wow. Very moving. Dying to know where it goes from here.
I just finished Episode 8 as well. It left me in a huge cliffhanger. Must watch next episode now...!
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 08:30   Link #123
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Junius 7
I would say episode 8+1 is the best so far, so emotional. Nanoka is so CUTE.

Bad news (or probably a good news) to manga readers. Koikaze chapter 30 is printed in Evening Magazine no. 12, 2004/06/08. The next chapter is to be printed in issue no. 14. Which issue was chapter 29 printed in, probably no. 10???

The question now is how and where the anime would end while the manga is still going on.
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 10:58   Link #124
Broccoli
Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRoRuleZ
Bad news (or probably a good news) to manga readers. Koikaze chapter 30 is printed in Evening Magazine no. 12, 2004/06/08. The next chapter is to be printed in issue no. 14. Which issue was chapter 29 printed in, probably no. 10???
See? I told ya...

Now where would you find old comic mags? Do manga cafes have them?

Now my local condo-sized Kinokuniya might get a new customer picking up two-month-old Evening mags at $10 each.

Quote:
The question now is how and where the anime would end while the manga is still going on.
Yay, more suspense. I like it.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 11:34   Link #125
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Junius 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli
See? I told ya...
No, you did not know either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccoli
Now where would you find old comic mags? Do manga cafes have them?

Now my local condo-sized Kinokuniya might get a new customer picking up two-month-old Evening mags at $10 each.
Two month old? Then you can get chapter 29. 267 yen is upped to $10? Do not worry, there are plenty of used bookstores for me to get.

If I put up scans from chapter 30 then this thread would be on fire again.
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 13:10   Link #126
Nimbleminx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Yay scans! I for one would be grateful.
Nimbleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-28, 13:20   Link #127
TronDD
Team the box!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Badside
So is the manga going beyond volume 4? It was previously stated that the 4 volumes was the end. I don't know what the chapter count would be, though.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 04:02   Link #128
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Junius 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
So is the manga going beyond volume 4? It was previously stated that the 4 volumes was the end. I don't know what the chapter count would be, though.
Here is manga information to clear up any questions.

Vol. 1 - Chapter 01-07
Vol. 2 - Chapter 08-14
Vol. 3 - Chapter 15-21
Vol. 4 - Chapter 22-28

Episode 7 ended at chapter 14.
Episode 8 ended at ????
Episode 8+1 ended at chapter 19.
Episode 9+1 ended at chapter 21.

Note that many chapters were completely or partly skipped in the anime.

As I posted earlier, chapter 30 was discovered yesterday to be continuingly serialised out there, beyond volume 4. The final thought of chapter 30 was how they would handle their lives in that situation (while Koshiro was irregularly impulsive for inner sexual desire that he could not commit though attemping when they were side by side).

I referred to episode 8 as 8+1 to indicate that it was actually episode 9 because the free TV skipped airing (as planned) the actual episode 8 of the series. The actual episode 8 will only be aired on a cable channel on 06/07 night. The cable channel has been airing up to episode 6 as of now. Should the actual episode 8 be subbed then be prepared for any episode number confusion.

By the way, where do all the girls go? I like to hear girls' point of view on this love story.
__________________
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 08:08   Link #129
Z13LAZARUS
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Question

In the "Next Episode Preview" for 7, it mentions Windflower, which is the name of eps 8... further confusion, I'd say...

(edit):
Er, I mean Fansubbed eps 8
Z13LAZARUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 09:46   Link #130
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRoRuleZ
By the way, where do all the girls go? I like to hear girls' point of view on this love story.
I love it, and I don't normally enjoy romantic anime. ^_^ Watching this show is seriously a sublime experience--it's like reading classic poetry or something. Episode 8 was particularly good. I appreciate the fact that Koi Kaze is cute, funny and heartrending all at the same time.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 14:42   Link #131
Nimbleminx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
I love it, and I don't normally enjoy romantic anime. ^_^ Watching this show is seriously a sublime experience--it's like reading classic poetry or something. Episode 8 was particularly good. I appreciate the fact that Koi Kaze is cute, funny and heartrending all at the same time.
That's a wonderful way of putting it. It's as well thought out as poetry in my opinion. Each scene is thoughtfully composed and adds to the whole. It's such a shame they skipped one episode. I am glad the scanlation was available because I think it gave deeper insight into Koshiro's frame of mind.


HaRoRuleZ,

Could you elaborate a little on what you meant by:

(while Koshiro was irregularly impulsive for inner sexual desire that he could
not commit though attemping when they were side by side)

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, but I am curious if my ideas on Koshiro's character are accurate.
Nimbleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 15:34   Link #132
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Junius 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
I love it, and I don't normally enjoy romantic anime. ^_^ Watching this show is seriously a sublime experience--it's like reading classic poetry or something. Episode 8 was particularly good. I appreciate the fact that Koi Kaze is cute, funny and heartrending all at the same time.
Thanks for responding. Anyone more?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbleminx
HaRoRuleZ,

Could you elaborate a little on what you meant by:

(while Koshiro was irregularly impulsive for inner sexual desire that he could
not commit though attemping when they were side by side)

I don't want to spoil the story for anyone, but I am curious if my ideas on Koshiro's character are accurate.
Your take and my take on Koshiro are still perfect. Your request can be easily answered by some scans but I do not want do that now. In short, no nudity, no sex, Koshiro just lost a lapse of self-control. "Gomen," he said.

I am addictive to Nanoka's hair very much, especially the movement. It is beautifully drawn in the manga. The appearance in the anime is very good too and very natural comparing to current standard anime hair design. Who do agree with me on this?
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 17:45   Link #133
miscpurp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
By the way, where do all the girls go? I like to hear girls' point of view on this love story.

Since you asked, here goes...

I'm a girl, and I don't have any problem watching it. I think it is one of the most unique and beautifully done anime I have ever seen. The opening piece was great, that is probably the only reason I am watching it in the first place.

As far as the love story is concerned, I can identify with either character because I had also been in a platonic love situation. I sympathize with them because containing such feelings is extremely difficult. It is amazing that an anime dares to touch on the "taboo" side of society that koi kaze potrays. The show feels real and very down-to-earth: plain clothes, mild humor, monotonic life. On top of it, the producers are able to do it with elegance.

Koi Kaze is simply beautiful.

I think situations such as in Koi Kaze do happen, but people are just too afraid to bring those to light. If I'm not mistaken, hundreds of years ago relationship between siblings are tolerable (in royal families ?), and marriage between close cousins are common. The concern about incest is only an effect of current society values imposed on us.

------

DISCLAIMER: I don't read japanese, so what I understood from the manga may be totally off. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As for the anime itself, the only thing I feel lacking is the relationship development between the two. I don't read japanese, but I saw all 4 vols of the manga. There are too many important events skipped in the anime, therefore it feels as if Nanoka's emotions is only to the extent of "puppy love", a temporary affection and admiration to Koshiro (there must be a better term than "puppy love" but I can't think of any right now). But the manga seem to show that her feelings is a lot stronger and much more serious.

If I watched the anime without the manga, I would have hard time understanding how they develop such strong attraction. But again that's just my personal opinion.
miscpurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-29, 17:49   Link #134
miscpurp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Does anyone know if another studio worked on episode 9? The framerate is very low and the character design changes.
miscpurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 08:41   Link #135
HaRoRuleZ
Gundam Collector
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Junius 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscpurp
Since you asked, here goes...
...

As for the anime itself, the only thing I feel lacking is the relationship development between the two. I don't read japanese, but I saw all 4 vols of the manga. There are too many important events skipped in the anime, therefore it feels as if Nanoka's emotions is only to the extent of "puppy love", a temporary affection and admiration to Koshiro (there must be a better term than "puppy love" but I can't think of any right now). But the manga seem to show that her feelings is a lot stronger and much more serious.

If I watched the anime without the manga, I would have hard time understanding how they develop such strong attraction. But again that's just my personal opinion.
Thanks for adding colors to Koikaze.

We share the same views of the relationship development. It is the manga that made me value this show highly. The author finely crafted this story to reality. I wish the show would be made 26 episodes instead of 13.
HaRoRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 10:47   Link #136
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscpurp
As far as the love story is concerned, I can identify with either character because I had also been in a platonic love situation. I sympathize with them because containing such feelings is extremely difficult. It is amazing that an anime dares to touch on the "taboo" side of society that koi kaze potrays. The show feels real and very down-to-earth: plain clothes, mild humor, monotonic life. On top of it, the producers are able to do it with elegance.

Koi Kaze is simply beautiful.

I think situations such as in Koi Kaze do happen, but people are just too afraid to bring those to light. If I'm not mistaken, hundreds of years ago relationship between siblings are tolerable (in royal families ?), and marriage between close cousins are common. The concern about incest is only an effect of current society values imposed on us.
it's not just the incest, but everyone seems to be forgetting the age difference. Unlike angel sactuary where they are mostly the same age, the guy is a whole lot older than the girl in KK. not only is it incest related, it is pedo related too.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 13:05   Link #137
ChoBaka
Semi-retired Translator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
it's not just the incest, but everyone seems to be forgetting the age difference. Unlike angel sactuary where they are mostly the same age, the guy is a whole lot older than the girl in KK. not only is it incest related, it is pedo related too.
True...she's 12 years younger than he is, and judging by the fact that she's in high school, if anything happened between them in many US states laws would go into effect (besides the fact they are related).

Well, at least nothing really happens. It's all inner suffering anyway (which is the best part, makes you wanna rip your heart out while watching it).
ChoBaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-30, 13:09   Link #138
Nimbleminx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
it's not just the incest, but everyone seems to be forgetting the age difference. Unlike angel sactuary where they are mostly the same age, the guy is a whole lot older than the girl in KK. not only is it incest related, it is pedo related too.
I think the age difference is important, but there is no pedophilia in it. Koshiro doesn't find her attractive _because_ she is younger, that would be pedophilia, she just happens to be significantly younger, a device the author chose (I believe) to explain why Koshiro has no real bond with her as a sibling. He had little to do with her when she was young, then they were separated. If they had been closer in age there would have been far more sibling bonding that usually prevents, alters or overrides any sexual feelings developing between brother and sister.

On a side note, I think saying finding a 15 year old girl attractive would be stretching the idea of pedophilia a bit as well. At 15 most girls have begun to develop their secondary sexual characteristics, and even in America the legal age limit for marriage is 16. (She has a birthday in the anime, but I am uncertain if it was from 14 to 15, or from 15 to 16) I think most men, on a physical level at least can find a 15 year old attractive, or at least their genes can. It's not a laudable trait, just genetically sound.

Last edited by Nimbleminx; 2004-05-30 at 13:25.
Nimbleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 14:07   Link #139
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
Episode 8 is pretty incredible.

Spoiler:
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-03, 18:22   Link #140
Zalasta
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I've always wondered about this: The black teddy bear is Koshiro's right? If that's the case, why does it show a picture of baby Nanoka playing with it in the opening sequence?

EDIT:
I don't understand why I keep seeing Koi Kaze and pedophile in the same sentence, it isn't as if Koshiro has a thing for underaged girls, he just happened to develop an intense feeling for a high school girl whom he had an emotional moment with, and she turned out to be his sister. To me Koi Kaze is about an adult male struggling to sort out his feelings, he probably has never felt this intensely about anyone in his prior romantic relationships (as indicated by what his ex-girlfriend said to him). Koshiro knows that he is suppose to only love Nanoka as a brother, but he already felt something for her before knowing they were related, and I think that feeling only has grown stronger since then, especially living together. I love Koi Kaze because it feels realistic, and it is anything but cliche which fills many of the so called romantic series out there.
Zalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.