AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-02, 18:33   Link #121
HandofFate

its not rape if the girl is fine with it.
Old 2012-10-02, 18:39   Link #122
mistress_kisara

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
I kinda liked the episode, even though it was disturbing in a weird, unusual, kinda of way.

It's not a romance between a boy and a girl.

It's a romance between a geeky obssessed girl with stockholm syndrome and an autistic psycothic rapist kidnaper genius boy... I actually had a lot more adjectives in my mind but I figured you guys get the idea. There is something seriously wrong with the MC's head.
You're overthinking
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 18:40   Link #123
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
I kinda liked the episode, even though it was disturbing in a weird, unusual, kinda of way.

It's a romance between a geeky obssessed girl with stockholm syndrome and an autistic psycothic rapist kidnaper genius boy... I actually had a lot more adjectives in my mind but I figured you guys get the idea. There is something seriously wrong with the MC's head.
Well... it is probably the most positive attention she's ever gotten from a boy. That has to be flattering on some level.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 22:47   Link #124
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excorsism
For me, the characters make this series and if Brains Base decides to emphasize only Shizuku/Haru's relationship, I'm going to be real disappointed. I have faith they'll give our other two the same amount of spotlight as well!
Don't you dare forget Yamaken!

Everything is better with Yamaken.

Quote:
Whoa, easy. Haru ain't so bad. He's got a few screws loose, but IMO Shizuku can just kick his ass and tighten them right back in. She doesn't give out that typical doormat shoujo heroine feel at all. Also not getting the "obsessed" part; what is she obsessed about?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 22:49   Link #125
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Also not getting the "obsessed" part; what is she obsessed about?
Studying. :p
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 22:51   Link #126
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Studying.
Okay, you win.

Though we can just consider Haru's intrusion to be an opportunity to loosen her up.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-02, 22:53   Link #127
Insane
Banned

There must be screw loose in that guy's brain. Heck, he had no qualms to strip himself in public!
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 01:40   Link #128
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Aside from the rape threat and bloody nose knockdown (was a bit WTF for me), this show definitely looks like a hit for me.
Like Usagi Drop & Chihayafuru, lovable characters and lovable interactions (though those shows were josei targeted whereas this is shoujo targeted).

Quote:
"That's probably not a stray!"
On my must watch list now.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 01:42   Link #129
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Don't you dare forget Yamaken!

Everything is better with Yamaken.
HELL YEAH TO THIS.

Anyway, there's been a lot of talk with regards to Haru's character and actions in this episode. The fact that he literally said "I'm going to rape you" to Shizuku (translation is correct) is very unnerving in many levels . But yeah, he is supposed to be creepy and socially awkward (and he probably doesn't have much distinction with regards to treating males and females differently) so it does justify things a bit. And it's not like the entire episode reveled on Haru's sexual intentions. . . just his overall creepiness.

Shizuku's portrayal in this adaptation is pretty darn awesome though. Tomatsu's awesome voice acting is really shown in Shizuku's internal monologues. I laughed at the scene where she couldn't hit the baseball (I remember her Tomatsu Haruka voicing Aoba so I lol'd a bit).

Anime needs more shoujo.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:04   Link #130
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:

Haha, I actually kinda was thinking the same thing .

Overall, the episode was kinda too fast-paced for my tastes, but it was still good. I'm definitely interested enough to watch the next episode now that I have a good sense of the two main characters.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 02:22   Link #131
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
Aside from the rape threat and bloody nose knockdown (was a bit WTF for me), this show definitely looks like a hit for me.
Like Usagi Drop & Chihayafuru, lovable characters and lovable interactions (though those shows were josei targeted whereas this is shoujo targeted).

On my must watch list now.
Those were the only two parts I didn't like about this episode. The rest of it was awesome. Looking forward to future episodes.
Old 2012-10-03, 02:44   Link #132
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
.... bloody nose knockdown (was a bit WTF for me),
I want to punch him for not caring...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 04:52   Link #133
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I want to punch him for not caring...
I think the point was that he was so intent on "saving" her that he didn't notice.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 06:04   Link #134
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

I think the pacing is still fine. I mean, it's faster than the original manga but it isn't that messed up and still easy to follow. I was a bit troubled with the beginning part where Natsume was crying though

Also, who voiced Shizuku? She did an excellent job at it.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 11:57   Link #135
Sumeragi
Banned

The first episode was rushed, but I figure they did it to make room for some of the interactions that will come up after the first stage.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 12:03   Link #136
Kirarakim

I have to admit, I didn't even notice the rape line until people started mentioning it. But if I had noticed I would have been unnerved by the line.

Obviously it's a small thing & we know Haru wasn't going to rape her & yes he's socially awkward, but certainly there were better ways to show this. In general I don't like when rape is used in fiction. And certainly not when your main guy mentions it to your main girl.

I will look at it as a small misstep in writing, not a reflection on Haru though.
Old 2012-10-03, 12:16   Link #137
Sumeragi
Banned

I would say it reflects on how socially inept Haru is in the first place.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 13:09   Link #138
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Romance is usually a pretty tough genre for me but I checked this out anyway. I definitely have to agree that it was pretty fast, it was almost like 3/4 of a shojo romance arc in one episode. You had the initial dislike and portrayal as being at odds, the common ground phase, the treats her like shit phase, the finds out he's a really interesting guy phase and the awkward sort of breakup phase all within 22 minutes. Other that that I'm not really sure what else to say other than I'm at least interested on seeing the second episode because I literally have no idea where they'll go from here given how much of the typical ground got covered in one episode.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-03, 13:13   Link #139
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
I would say it reflects on how socially inept Haru is in the first place.
Yes I get this is what the writing was trying to do but I think there are less offensive ways to this. Certainly many other things Haru did clued me in on this.

Anyways to clarify what I meant is its an unfortunate line but it doesn't change my feelings about Haru (that he is a good guy). So that is what I meant when I said its a reflection on the writing not the character.
Old 2012-10-03, 13:18   Link #140
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I totally get why people are offended by the rape reference. And it really does seem shocking and out of place. I'm going to give the series a chance to show where it's going with this before I dismiss it altogether, both - selfishly - because I liked the episode, but also because I think that comment represented an unwise choice of words rather than a trivialization of the issue. I think the point is to show that Haru is seriously messed up, totally clueless socially and operates with the mindset of a grade-schooler in the body of a high-schooler. He's like an idiot savant, as I see him, probably with some sort of behavior disorder or even possibly a disability in the Aspergers family (not that I expect a serious exploration of this). I think the intent was to show the audience early on that this kid was seriously off, but the chosen method was unwise.

That said, anyone that wants to drop it is certainly justified in doing so. I chose not to for the reasons stated above.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shoujo