AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-06-03, 21:25   Link #141
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
I doubt Immortality solves overpopulation and STDs. People do sex.
My post already addresses those.

If the type of immortality prevents illness and disease, STDs can't happen.

If its the invincible type of immortality, you can even strap a whole family with children on a rocket and crash them on Mars and they can happily populate it.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:26   Link #142
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Seeing how this is purely a fictional thread, immortals might acquire technology so far out in the future, evolve the human race into non physical forms and be able to manipulate space-time, energy and matter.

Maybe become like the Q from Star Trek, Data Entities in Haruhi etc., super evolved beings that have mastery over the universe.
And that's my whole point. Humans can't "create". And, as you said, they might get that ability after becoming non-human immortals.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:32   Link #143
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yup. If you look again, that would be very disturbing. Humans will just spread more and more and (deliberately or un-deliberately) ruin anything on their path just like Agent Smith from Matrix said: humans are not mammals, they're virus for their own environment. Ok, I know that's a silly comment from an AI but there's truth in it .
Completely untrue. Birthrate drops in any nation where mortality decreases. There is less incentive to reproduce when one's continued existence is less threatened. Children is an insurance for the future, a defence against mortality. Having children for an immortal is an option, but there is no incentive to reproduce in large numbers. Further, there would not be incentive to reproduce quickly; no reason to have children as soon as you can, if you got time to wait.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:34   Link #144
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And that's my whole point. Humans can't "create". And, as you said, they might get that ability after becoming non-human immortals.
Yup, Immortals aren't human at all. How will one grow to adulthood without taking in something in the body. Cells can't multiply out with external factors ( food , O2 and H2O).

It's like a balloon won't inflate by itself unless you add more air.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:38   Link #145
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
A regretable Immortal: I would be happier to die with the person I love than see them dying in front of me.
I saw this line of thought a lot in the Holo threads... problem is, half of any couple will almost always see the other die before them (sudden pair deaths excluded). Women in particular outlive their mates - often by decades. So this is kind of null argument.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:38   Link #146
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Yup, Immortals aren't human at all. How will one grow to adulthood without taking in something in the body. Cells can't multiply out with external factors ( food , O2 and H2O).

It's like a balloon won't inflate by itself unless you add more air.
I just want to point out that you have only ten more years to live, according to your current age. This is the life expectancy of a human without human technology. If you live beyond 35, by your own rules you are no longer human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I saw this line of thought a lot in the Holo threads... problem is, half of any couple will almost always see the other die before them (sudden pair deaths excluded). Women in particular outlive their mates - often by decades. So this is kind of null argument.
Yeah, I never get that. If you don't want to see your loved ones die, the solution isn't to die first; the solution is to make sure they don't die at all.

Immortality is the answer, not the problem.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:43   Link #147
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And that's my whole point. Humans can't "create". And, as you said, they might get that ability after becoming non-human immortals.
Well I can't put up any argument against that because creating stuff out of thin air, with no help from any tools can't be discussed with logic.

But if you want to talk about realistic 'creating stuff out of thin air', with tools, it may actually happen in the future. Scientists have been researching on various technologies to do such, nanotechnology, programmable matter, claytronics etc.

Manipulating matter in a way so that they can assemble and form things.

Creating stuff out of liquid already exist with 3D printers.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:44   Link #148
NeoChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Infront of the Anime Shop
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I just want to point out that you have only ten more years to live, according to your current age. This is the life expectancy of a human without human technology. If you live beyond 35, by your own rules you are no longer human.
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:46   Link #149
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
Cavemen die even earlier. I am being generous in using Medieval statistics. On average most cavemen wouldn't live long enough to reproduce, just like most animals.

(10% of an animal population generate 90% of the next generation. This is why animals have so many children; they keep dying without breeding. This is also why viruses reproduce so fast; they are as fragile as snowflakes.)
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:48   Link #150
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
Ignorance <> being dumb
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:49   Link #151
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
* no comment

It seemed that our course will lead to like Immortals will be like gods without the powers.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:49   Link #152
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
If by dumb refers to not knowing medical care and technology, then yes. Also cavemen rarely even reach 30 because they die from hunting and common diseases such as flu.

The agricultural and industrial revolutions also provided technological advancements such as farming tools and mass production of food to feed more people, preventing starvation and lessen death.

In fact even basic hygiene such as using soap increased human life expectancy by a few years.

Humans only tripled their live spans because of technology, either through food, hygiene or medicine.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:53   Link #153
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Completely untrue. Birthrate drops in any nation where mortality decreases. There is less incentive to reproduce when one's continued existence is less threatened. Children is an insurance for the future, a defence against mortality. Having children for an immortal is an option, but there is no incentive to reproduce in large numbers.
Not everybody thinks like that, mind you. Some simple example would be people from my country. Just try ask some folks here: “will you have many children if you’re immortal and your future is ensured?” You’ll likely get “yes” answers a lot more than “no”.

It's not like I totally agree with what Smith's said. As I said before, It's a silly statement from an AI . But there's still truth in it, even if it's very little. Humans do coz great damage to this planet as has been proven.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:53   Link #154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
So most cavemens didn't reach the age of 35 because they're dumb?
Even now... a single scratch can kill you if you don't have access to modern technology. A child was more likely to die than reach puberty for most of human history. The average lifespan of a human being was 45 years until the late 19th century...

Most people are dumb *now* ... they're just lucky about 10-20% of the population tinkers...
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 21:58   Link #155
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The average lifespan of a human being was 45 years until the late 19th century...
* stares at Sir Vexx

Thank God for the technology! Group hug!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:00   Link #156
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's not like I totally agree with what Smith's said. As I said before, It's a silly statement from an AI . But there's still truth in it, even if it's very little. Humans do coz great damage to this planet as has been proven.
Well, immortality may even lessen damage to the planet.

If people don't need to eat, then there's no need to kill animals or destroy large areas of land for farming. No need to use fuel for cooking as well.

If people are invincible, then there's no need for heating since people can't die from cold, may reduce fuel consumption for heating.

And if people can live anywhere, then they don't exactly need to cut down trees to make houses, can go populate the moon, or mars, even Pluto if some of them like it cold and dark.
__________________
No longer a NEET so I'll not be online as often.
Ignore gender and kick sexuality to the curb!
I'm a big mecha fan, who keeps playing the SRW series.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:03   Link #157
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Most people are dumb *now*
So you already saw the movie
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:05   Link #158
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
* stares at Sir Vexx

Thank God for the technology! Group hug!!!!
Aye, I should have been on my last mastodon hunt 10 years ago... Of course, its also why the "old codger in charge of the tribe" was usually still in good shape physically. He was the rarity that had dodged all the bullets to get there.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:10   Link #159
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well, immortality may even lessen damage to the planet.

If people don't need to eat, then there's no need to kill animals or destroy large areas of land for farming. No need to use fuel for cooking as well.

If people are invincible, then there's no need for heating since people can't die from cold, may reduce fuel consumption for heating.

And if people can live anywhere, then they don't exactly need to cut down trees to make houses, can go populate the moon, or mars, even Pluto if some of them like it cold and dark.
True true .

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well I can't put up any argument against that because creating stuff out of thin air, with no help from any tools can't be discussed with logic.

But if you want to talk about realistic 'creating stuff out of thin air', with tools, it may actually happen in the future. Scientists have been researching on various technologies to do such, nanotechnology, programmable matter, claytronics etc.
Yup. The problem is: God is beyond logic or reasoning. Heck, It’s God who create that very “Logic” within our humble mind/brain which can’t even use its full potential.

While “cultural gods” on the other hand, are very easy to imagine. Recent example: Wrath of the Titans movie .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 22:10   Link #160
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I should have been on my last mastodon hunt 10 years ago...
.
Too bad we don't need to hunt animals if we are immortals. But if we insist, we might be charge of cruelty to animals by the government unless...

Catch it then release it and catch again, Mr. Krabb style.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.