AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Old 2014-01-27, 20:32   Link #1
Preciize
Them Feels~

What does Anime/Manga Mean to You?

Like the title states, what does anime or manga mean to you? Obviously, we all watch or read them because we enjoy anime/manga, but does it go beyond pure entertainment? Maybe you like them because of the values they portray or because you can relate to some characters.

For me, I believe anime/manga has partly influenced who I am today. One series that's affected me is Naruto. Growing up in a single parent household has been tough, not to mention that my family doesn't live close to me. I definitely felt out of place at times when I saw all my peers and classmates with their parents and families. Watching Naruto (the character) go through his struggles motivated me to stay positive and optimistic and essentially to have his mindset. Other anime/manga series have always reminded me to be open minded and friendly towards others. Of course, I was always taught to have these positive qualities by my mom and other adults but anime and manga definitely had an impact. Maybe it's because I like seeing these qualities at play (show) rather than someone just telling me about them with words (tell).

Love the anime OSTs as well.
Old 2014-01-27, 21:06   Link #2
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

One series that has affected me is Ro-Kyu-Bu. It taught me that elementary school girls are the best.

Spoiler:
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part III: Rebellion (JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HOLY CRAP)
Wake Up, Girls!
Kill la Kill
The Garden of Words
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 21:09   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
It's the form of entertainment I like the most, and probably gives me the most reason to converse with people. As for something like what you're describing, Clannad is the only series that's had that kind of effect on me. Otherwise, there's nothing of note I "take" from anime, not directly anyway.
I won't forget your voice, nor will I forget the tears
and the future known as 'hope' that starts from now

My MAL||A tract on my rewatch of Sword Art Online
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-27, 22:46   Link #4
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Stories in general are often designed to convey certain ideas, or themes. I've heard, read, and watched a lot of stories over my life, and have seen a lot of ideas and themes conveyed in them. A lot of these were in other mediums or genres, but some of them do come largely, if not entirely, from anime.

The ideas that I would credit anime for:

1) The importance of verbal discretion. Most characters in North American entertainment tend to be talkative, probably reflecting American culture itself. But with anime, you often have more generally silent and discreet characters to contrast with characters that are a bit impulsive and consistently speak their mind. What I've found with anime is that characters who always speak their minds, and who are a bit impulsive, usually end up paying a price for it, even if it's just a bad misunderstanding. More silent and discreet characters often avoid these pitfalls. I think there may be a lesson here about the importance of sort of picking your spots, and sometimes refraining from voicing an angry or contentious opinion because you know the problems it could cause. "Hot-headedness" is often portrayed as something "cool" in North American entertainment, but its often portrayed as a weakness in anime.

2) How to pick up on subtle hints in mannerisms and word choice. Some of the better character dramas in anime use these elements very effectively. And even the tsundere can be instructive in this regard.

3) "Anything worth doing is worth doing well". This is something I learned from my parents (especially my mother) a long time ago. But anime reinforces this idea in a pretty distinctive and very effective way. Everything from baseball to boxing to mahjong to karuta to cooking to baking bread to making dolls to working at a small convenience store is treated as something that can be very rewarding if you put real effort in and set clear goals for yourself.

4) A broader sense of what "selfishness" means. I honestly used to think that selfishness was mainly about wanting a lot of material things (money, cars, merchandise, that sort of thing). Anime frequently uses the term in a much broader sense, showing how people can be selfish when it comes to emotional desires, help from others, and time. I sometimes think that anime takes it a bit too far, and treats just perfectly normal behavior as selfish, but still, I think a valuable insight can come from realizing that selfishness can take many forms, and is not always about material desire.

There's probably more than these 4, but these are the ones that stand out a lot in my mind.

Anime is my favorite form of entertainment at this time and over the last few years. During down-times, it can make for a nice relief. During good-times, it's just fun to watch. And like Akito wrote, anime often provides a nice topic of conversation. Most of the better anime shows make good discussion fodder.
Old 2014-01-28, 00:02   Link #5
Preciize
Them Feels~

I absolutely agree with all the things you guys said.

Anime/manga has definitely affected my taste and perspective on girls. By watching all the female characters, I've come to realized what traits and characteristics I'd like a girl to have if I was to be in a romantic relationship with them.

I agree with Akito, anime/manga is a great topic to talk about. I'm relatively laid back and reserved, but one of the few things that gets me going is definitely anime/manga. I know this doesn't apply to all anime watchers and manga readers, but I've found that a good number of them are much more friendlier and down to earth. I know that my friends who watch anime (only a few unfortunately) are much more easy going and not as conservative.

Going on Triple R's points, I think the idea of being able to succeed in any field or career is the central theme in anime/manga. As long as you put forth the effort and work, you'll be rewarded. Really, it goes to the idea of persevering and never giving up. One of the most important qualities to have in my opinion.
Old 2014-01-28, 05:00   Link #6
speedyexpress48
Speedy The Kid

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciize View Post
Anime/manga has definitely affected my taste and perspective on girls. By watching all the female characters, I've come to realized what traits and characteristics I'd like a girl to have if I was to be in a romantic relationship with them.
No offense, but having anime/manga impact your perspective on real life women isn't a good idea

I do agree 100% about the community though. Though I think it's more a case of easy-going liberals are more likely to be anime watchers than vice versa. But anime is definitely easier to discuss than most other forms of TV.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-28, 12:32   Link #7
Preciize
Them Feels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
No offense, but having anime/manga impact your perspective on real life women isn't a good idea

I do agree 100% about the community though. Though I think it's more a case of easy-going liberals are more likely to be anime watchers than vice versa. But anime is definitely easier to discuss than most other forms of TV.
No offence taken, I think what I meant to say was reinforced or made me realize what I look for in a girl. I go to a relatively small school and most of the girls are similar to one another - preppy, like to party, etc. so I haven't known any other kinds of girls. I get along fine with them, but I've realized through my own feelings and anime that I prefer girls a bit different than them.
Old 2014-02-02, 22:59   Link #8
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Anime and manga for me have replaced normal t.v. and books. I'll admit that and not feel guilty at all.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-03, 20:14   Link #9
EscapeReality

A way to come in contact with good ideas that actually doesn't completely de-energize and repel you.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 12:30   Link #10
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Anime, no different than other hobbies.
Manga, my life-long dominant hobby of my choice for thirty something years.
Old 2014-02-04, 13:43   Link #11
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
Anime and manga for me have replaced normal t.v. and books. I'll admit that and not feel guilty at all.
Similar to me, too. When I first started reading mangas and watched anime, it took over rapidly normal book reading, going so far that I don't even have the patience(?) to read (translated) Light Novels. Though, that's only one reason .
Nowadays aka the past years, VNs are my most consumed medium to enjoy fiction, whereas my interest in manga/anime has gone down sharply and that's by itself a bit sad or unfortunate.

As for real-life appliance: None at all. It's purely a form of entertainment to me on a surface level, hence why I don't try or wouldn't even get the idea of paying attention to those subtle hints leading to wall of texts or deep psycho anaysises of characters and their action. I enjoy what I read and can obviously/clearly see.
Diablo 3 Battletag: Mahou#2744 Visual Novel Addict
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 23:41   Link #12
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It's just a form of entertainment to me.
Old 2014-02-07, 01:25   Link #13
Preciize
Them Feels~

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
Same, only thing I really watch outside of anime is sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
A way to come in contact with good ideas that actually doesn't completely de-energize and repel you.
I know what you mean. Award winning novels and works are often sad, dark,and depressing. Although it's realistic in some ways, I feel that a majority of it focuses too much on the negative aspects of life. I'd much rather read manga/LNs that give some positive vibe and optimism and feel uplifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
As for real-life appliance: None at all. It's purely a form of entertainment to me on a surface level, hence why I don't try or wouldn't even get the idea of paying attention to those subtle hints leading to wall of texts or deep psycho anaysises of characters and their action. I enjoy what I read and can obviously/clearly see.
I try to enjoy anime and manga as much as I can as well. I don't really like to go in depth and do a bunch of critiquing. Any discussion I have is usually about the plot. But then there's also some manga/anime like Naruto where there is a huge and obvious emphasis on morals and values, which I personally have taken to heart and they've resonated with me.