AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-02, 21:38   Link #1201
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I want Arata to play Shinobu and kick her ass.
No way i want it the other way around Go Shinobu!! She is so freaking awesome, I so badly want a spin off series of her!
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 00:43   Link #1202
ArrowSmith

Left hand madness.... Uh oh, the Queen is up next. Chihaya is gonna get crushed. Sorry boys, there is no other logical conclusion.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 13:12   Link #1203
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

bet it will be a very close match.

who would win? I'm not so sure, I guess chihaya vs shinobu then shinobu v arata will be the sequence.

arata has genius level memory. remember his elementary school days? he was able to memorize the route for 200 newspaper deliveries only by looking at the map for a few moments. i think it was s1 ep01 02 or 03.

also, left handed persons having shorter pathways to the brain and therefore able to react better doesn't apply in chihaya's case. it was repeatedly said that chihaya had that quirk where her hearing is connected directly to her arm/hand. looks like this time we can see that it applies to both hands and not just her right.

it was already set early on that arata and chihaya had unique talents that gave them more advantage than average players who "work hard" like taichi and nikkuman kun. we are of course supposed to root for taichi who doesn't have any special talent, terrible luck, and the only thing going for him is his dedication to the game and in a sense, to chihaya. and as for nishida, his attitude of not giving up when he faces stronger opponents and his training at his karuta society makes up for whatever special talent he lacks.

it is interesting to note that shinobu and arata has the same playing style and that the meijin guy and chihaya also have the same style. of course, any match between any of these will always be interesting but we all know that chihaya will lose to the other three because of her inexperience, she isn't quite at that level as the other three.

Quote:
That's not what's shown on the gif posted in this thread - there he swipes two of Nishida's cards, and two of his own.
if he swiped the right card on nishida's side before he swiped cards on his side, will arata be penalized?

Last edited by frodonk; 2013-06-03 at 13:42.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 15:31   Link #1204
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
bet it will be a very close match.

who would win? I'm not so sure, I guess chihaya vs shinobu then shinobu v arata will be the sequence.

arata has genius level memory. remember his elementary school days? he was able to memorize the route for 200 newspaper deliveries only by looking at the map for a few moments. i think it was s1 ep01 02 or 03.

also, left handed persons having shorter pathways to the brain and therefore able to react better doesn't apply in chihaya's case. it was repeatedly said that chihaya had that quirk where her hearing is connected directly to her arm/hand. looks like this time we can see that it applies to both hands and not just her right.
That's just a figure of speech. Unless she's some kind of mutant (and it's not that kind of series), her brain and nervous system are structured the same as everyone else's.

Quote:
it was already set early on that arata and chihaya had unique talents that gave them more advantage than average players who "work hard" like taichi and nikkuman kun. we are of course supposed to root for taichi who doesn't have any special talent, terrible luck, and the only thing going for him is his dedication to the game and in a sense, to chihaya. and as for nishida, his attitude of not giving up when he faces stronger opponents and his training at his karuta society makes up for whatever special talent he lacks.

it is interesting to note that shinobu and arata has the same playing style and that the meijin guy and chihaya also have the same style. of course, any match between any of these will always be interesting but we all know that chihaya will lose to the other three because of her inexperience, she isn't quite at that level as the other three.
I don't know what you're talking about. Chihaya's hair's much longer than the meijin's, and Arata and Shinobu have completely different styles. Arata swipes all the like cards as soon as enough common syllables are read for them to all be on one side. Shinobu waits for the decisive syllable and hits one card with pinpoint precision and incredible speed.

For that matter, Arata isn't known for having a "gift" like Chihaya's hearing. He relies on technique - which cards to send, card disposition...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 18:44   Link #1205
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
There's another match in between those two. This is the round of eight, or the "quarterfinals," so the next round reduces the field to four players who compete in the semifinals. Those winners will play in the finals. I'll bet one of the semifinal matches includes Megamu unless Arata faces her in the upcoming round. I'm rather hoping he plays someone from Fujisaki next.
Old 2013-06-04, 00:19   Link #1206
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
No way i want it the other way around Go Shinobu!! She is so freaking awesome, I so badly want a spin off series of her!
We haven't seen her lose once. Someone needs to put her in her place.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 04:40   Link #1207
Sol Falling

Well, we haven't seen Suou lose either. If I could have it my way, I'd rather see Shinobu lose only against the Meijin, or another appropriately strong female character. Although if I think about it in a realistic sense I doubt that real life Queens/Meijins tend to have perfect records either, the fact that Shinobu represents the peak of women's karuta play makes me chafe at any potential implications which might arise about the strength of women's karuta against men's.
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 04:57   Link #1208
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
We haven't seen her lose once. Someone needs to put her in her place.
She is already where she should be.
Jokes aside, I hope that she will win against Arata, even if I know since he has to go to Tokyo this is a very distant eventuality. But his god-mode is a bit meh honestly.
At least I hope that she will not have problems against an injured Chihaya, but I start to have doubts even on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well, we haven't seen Suou lose either. If I could have it my way, I'd rather see Shinobu lose only against the Meijin, or another appropriately strong female character. Although if I think about it in a realistic sense I doubt that real life Queens/Meijins tend to have perfect records either, the fact that Shinobu represents the peak of women's karuta play makes me chafe at any potential implications which might arise about the strength of women's karuta against men's.
Agree. It would be nice having Shinobu winning against Arata for a change.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 15:16   Link #1209
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Keiko and Chihaya were so adorable playing against each other this episode. And they both had such guts and fighting spirit. I admit that I wanted Keiko to win this one, because she wanted it so much and because Chihaya was obviously unable to play her best, but Chihaya's win was not totally implausible. Although it did surprise me; I expected her to lose that match. But I liked seeing Arata's reaction to the match, and frankly his interaction with Chihaya later was also adorable.

Arata's poor parents...I think it's unreasonable for them to actually have to follow through with Arata's wager with him, should he win. It's funny, though. They looked as if they were incredibly keen for him to win in previous episodes, but no! And the series was willing to let the punchline of the gag be delayed until this episode, thus making it more surprising than if they hadn't, which I like.

Nishida was great in this ep too. I loved his match with Arata even though he couldn't win. Though at this point I think I actually liked the team matches better than the individual ones.

Although I admire Chihaya's dedication and tenacity, I can't help but think she's a complete and total idiot for being willing to play with her right hand at all. I would have thought that somebody so keen on karuta would avoid doing anything that might permanently mess up one of their fingers. The bone is weakened! She should have taken that seriously...And is Chihaya even going to be able to make it all the way through the match with Shinobu? That said, I loved Chihaya's change of heart about keeping her right hand for Arata as soon as she was matched up with Shinobu. Chihaya's reactions to Shinobu are always great. I'm just sorry that Chihaya won't be on her best form for impressing Shinobu, but perhaps that's necessary in order to build up tension for their inevitable Queen match showdown, whenever that will be.

Thematically, Shinobu needs to lose to Chihaya or to Arata, probably Arata because he's the one she's been interacting with on the topic of team and individual matches. I don't think that it's going to be possible for Chihaya to beat her, though.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 16:23   Link #1210
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
I'm going to get this itching feeling... This type of feeling where Chihaya is going to be forced to use her weakened hand that will just sting her everytime.. Which is actually quite saddening from how dedicated she was to getting to the individual tournament..
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 19:32   Link #1211
CJ_Walker

I hope Arata can win against Shinobu so that 1) he can go and beat the meijin guy and become a meijin, and 2) once he's the meijin he can get ALL the bitches, and we won't have to worry about the taichi chihaya, arata "love triangle" and 3) we can focus on some awesome sport Karuta. . .lulz
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 05:31   Link #1212
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's just a figure of speech. Unless she's some kind of mutant (and it's not that kind of series), her brain and nervous system are structured the same as everyone else's.
maybe they are structured the same as any other person, or maybe she's a mutant, but we can agree that the series portrays her as somebody with an above normal sense of hearing.

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about. Chihaya's hair's much longer than the meijin's, and Arata and Shinobu have completely different styles. Arata swipes all the like cards as soon as enough common syllables are read for them to all be on one side. Shinobu waits for the decisive syllable and hits one card with pinpoint precision and incredible speed.

For that matter, Arata isn't known for having a "gift" like Chihaya's hearing. He relies on technique - which cards to send, card disposition...
hair? what does chihaya's hair got to do with karuta?

arata's gift is his genius level memory. add to that his training and instructions from one of the best karuta players ever and that would explain his skills. this makes me think that the outcome of an arata vs shinobu match will be in favor of arata.

arata and shinobu is similar in the sense that they both had been playing against experienced players at a young age. with that kind of experience they were able to formulate their own style as was said but this was the result of being pitted against meijin and queen level players only to hone their skills further. nobody else has been considered as prodigies by their mentors to undergo this kind of training.

i dont know much about the meijin's background since it hasn't been shown but similar to chihaya, he has this unique talent which makes some multi-syllable cards become one syllable cards. chihaya has 21 and meijin has 28 if i remember correctly. also like rion, they become affected when the reader isn't as good as the professional ones because they rely so much on sound and their hearing to take a card before a single syllable is uttered. that's their playing style.

Quote:
There's another match in between those two. This is the round of eight, or the "quarterfinals," so the next round reduces the field to four players who compete in the semifinals. Those winners will play in the finals. I'll bet one of the semifinal matches includes Megamu unless Arata faces her in the upcoming round. I'm rather hoping he plays someone from Fujisaki next.
looks like chihaya is set to lose. or the series will pull something out of nowhere and chihaya will win against the queen and chihaya will face arata either in the semis or the finals.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 05:37   Link #1213
YourIdeas

Quote:
looks like chihaya is set to lose. or the series will pull something out of nowhere and chihaya will win against the queen and chihaya will face arata either in the semis or the finals.
They've already pulled quite a bit of bullshit with Chihaya suddenly becoming ambidextrous. If Chihaya does top the Queen against what looks like an only decent reader, I'll be damned.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 06:19   Link #1214
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
maybe they are structured the same as any other person, or maybe she's a mutant, but we can agree that the series portrays her as somebody with an above normal sense of hearing.
Sure. That's not the same as " her hearing is connected directly to her arm/hand", though.

Quote:
hair? what does chihaya's hair got to do with karuta?
Sorry about that. I read "hairstyle" for some reason.

Quote:
arata's gift is his genius level memory.
We haven't really seen that. That's certainly not what Nishida was complaining about. And we've seen plenty of "good memory players". The ones who did the most with it were the quizz guys, and in the end it's not that useful.

Quote:
add to that his training and instructions from one of the best karuta players ever and that would explain his skills. this makes me think that the outcome of an arata vs shinobu match will be in favor of arata.

arata and shinobu is similar in the sense that they both had been playing against experienced players at a young age. with that kind of experience they were able to formulate their own style as was said but this was the result of being pitted against meijin and queen level players only to hone their skills further. nobody else has been considered as prodigies by their mentors to undergo this kind of training.
Except Shinobu learned mostly by herself. Arata's style is a near copy of his grandfather's.

Quote:
i dont know much about the meijin's background since it hasn't been shown but similar to chihaya, he has this unique talent which makes some multi-syllable cards become one syllable cards. chihaya has 21 and meijin has 28 if i remember correctly. also like rion, they become affected when the reader isn't as good as the professional ones because they rely so much on sound and their hearing to take a card before a single syllable is uttered. that's their playing style.
Rion's stuck in B-class. The Meijin became meijin in three years. He can't be that affected by bad readers.

Yes, Chihaya, Rion, and Meijin are players who rely on superior hearing. As far as we know, it's all they have in common. I don't know what you want to make of it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 08:34   Link #1215
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
They've already pulled quite a bit of bullshit with Chihaya suddenly becoming ambidextrous.
To everyone who is really annoyed by this:

Just so you know, being able to use one's weaker hand relatively well is normal amongst good, well practised competitive karuta players. And this is not my own opinion - it's the opinion of a Japanese blogger who actually plays competitive karuta.

Of course, speed and accuracy will drop a little...but I feel that Chihaya is actually a much stronger player than many viewers seem to be giving her credit for. Remember what Sakurazawa-sensei said? "Fujisaki doesn't have any players who could have won against her."

Despite that, even Chihaya knows that she cannot even touch Shinobu if she were to use her left hand. Will using her injured right hand make any difference? We'll find out tomorrow...

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes

karice's random translations (interviews, audio commentaries, manga, radio shows etc etc)

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 08:51   Link #1216
Kazu-kun

Quote:
arata's gift is his genius level memory.
No. Arata's memory is normal. Taichi's memory is genius level. Arata's strength lies in his skills and strategies. I can't explain this here without going into spoilers but the point is, among the main three (Chihaya, Taichi and Arata) Arata is the one with less inborn talent. Not that it matters, since he has the best techniques and the best acceleration.
Old 2013-06-07, 10:15   Link #1217
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
To everyone who is really annoyed by this:

Just so you know, being able to use one's weaker hand relatively well is normal amongst good, well practised competitive karuta players. And this is not my own opinion - it's the opinion of a Japanese blogger who actually plays competitive karuta.

Of course, speed and accuracy will drop a little...but I feel that Chihaya is actually a much stronger player than many viewers seem to be giving her credit for. Remember what Sakurazawa-sensei said? "Fujisaki doesn't have any players who could have won against her."
I'm not really annoyed by Chihaya's, but it is true that what that blogger-player says seems counterintuitive
And consider that it was literally out of the blue in Chihaya's case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
No. Arata's memory is normal. Taichi's memory is genius level. Arata's strength lies in his skills and strategies. I can't explain this here without going into spoilers but the point is, among the main three (Chihaya, Taichi and Arata) Arata is the one with less inborn talent. Not that it matters, since he has the best techniques and the best acceleration.
Probably this is the reason why he seems to be the most gifted of the three.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 11:09   Link #1218
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Perhaps, but is this person talking about the situation Chihaya faces where she is forced to use her left hand without ever having practiced from that side? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she could become a relatively ambidextrous karuta player after a few weeks or months of practice, but without any practice at all? I still think that is very implausible.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:06   Link #1219
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Chihaya is playing against A level players, but there are ranges of skill within the A level, and the degree of competitiveness at a high school tournament is bound to be less than at an open adult tournament. Chihaya's opponents are not necessarily that strong, even though they are A level.

That's true even for Yuube--Nishida was fairly psyched out by her manliness

Also there are different degrees of ambidexterity. Some people are just more facile with their non-favored hand than others. That can be true for Chihaya as well.

Finally, and just to echo Karice, please appreciate just how strong a player Chihaya already is. She almost beat Megumu, who played in the Queen qualifying final the year before, and who is markedly better than she was then. At this point, Chihaya is arguably the third strongest female karuta player in Japan. Someone that strong can beat a lot of karuta players even with their left hand. Even A level high school players.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 12:25   Link #1220
Kazu-kun

^ It still seems pretty implausible to me, but to each their own I suppose.

Tags
cards, josei, sports